Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
God, I'm glad I don't have any namby-pamby truck issues around here. Everyone drives a freaking truck. I even want to sell my Jeep to get another truck. I decided years ago I doubt I will ever go back to a car.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't GM make a few early Astros with 4x4?    I think I've seen pictures with 4x4 and a lift runing trails in Moab.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Lifted trucks are not just for show; they are awesome in the snow and mud. It's when they have a big lift with small tires that it's retarded, because you aren't gaining ground clearance. But I would never do it for a truck that I take on trips, because of all the negatives (poor fuel mileage, shortened life of drivetrain components, expensive tires to replace, etc).
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's funny you say that. An earlier post mentioned that there's a perceptible difference in the way the people around you drive based on what you're driving. I've driven a pretty wide range of vehicles, and I've found that to be especially true about that van, and especially on the highway.

I'm not a particularly aggressive guy, but I do tend to be an assertive driver, and I usually drive faster than most people. In rare cases, I'll tailgate a left lane lurker if I've been stuck behind them for a while, I can't pass them on the right, and they're not getting the hint. Otherwise, I'm courteous, predictable, and easy to share the road with.

But when I'm in that van, there are a lot of people who do not want me to pass them. They don't want to drive the speed I'm driving, but they don't want to get passed by a van. The way it usually plays out is that I approach them at whatever speed I'm cruising, and move into the left lane. As I start to overtake them, they match my speed thus initiating the mile long drag race. I don't want to be stuck in the left lane, and I've been in this situation enough times to know how it goes, so I slowly accelerate. The other vehicle accelerates with me. I usually have to pick up an additional 5-10 mph to pull ahead. Once I'm ahead, I'll merge back into the lane to my right. At this point, the vehicle that was once driving 15 mph faster than their original speed just to stop me from passing them drops back to their cruising speed and they quickly disappear into the rear view. It's really damn annoying, and it's easily the worst part of driving a van.

But about the pickup driver d-bag stereotpe... that stereotype comes from somewhere, and it's not just brodozers. When I'm driving a more common, boring vehicle like my '09 Civic sedan or a rental, if I'm going to have a problem with asshatery from other drivers, there's a really good chance that driver is in a pickup. That chance is disproportional to the percentage of pickups on the road, too. Not all, and probably not even half, but a very large percentage of pickup drivers are kinda like sterotypical BMW drivers, only in vehicles much bigger, clumsier, and sometimes more obnoxious vehicles than your average BMW. Turn signals are an unpopular option, parking is a mysterious secret of the ancients, and regardless of how fast they want to drive, they want to be in front. And that's where the hate comes from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bed is spotless, because I take pride in ownership of a vehicle, protect the bed when transporting stuff, and clean the truck immediately after use to prevent corrosion. I even remove the ball from the hitch when I am done towing. I don't haul much in my truck though, Duck decoys, hunting, and camping equipment, home supplies, etc... I have 50,000 miles on it, and my tow mileage is just over 2000 miles.   Honestly a guy who doesn't own a truck is a little suspect to me.   I mean how do you do all your "Man stuff" without a truck??    

With this:
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/AstroTent_zpsfe13bdd7.jpg

Fuck yeah!

Now, you want to talk about "socially unnacceptable?"

Shitty old minivan = 10 under in the passing lane, around here.  

It's funny you say that. An earlier post mentioned that there's a perceptible difference in the way the people around you drive based on what you're driving. I've driven a pretty wide range of vehicles, and I've found that to be especially true about that van, and especially on the highway.

I'm not a particularly aggressive guy, but I do tend to be an assertive driver, and I usually drive faster than most people. In rare cases, I'll tailgate a left lane lurker if I've been stuck behind them for a while, I can't pass them on the right, and they're not getting the hint. Otherwise, I'm courteous, predictable, and easy to share the road with.

But when I'm in that van, there are a lot of people who do not want me to pass them. They don't want to drive the speed I'm driving, but they don't want to get passed by a van. The way it usually plays out is that I approach them at whatever speed I'm cruising, and move into the left lane. As I start to overtake them, they match my speed thus initiating the mile long drag race. I don't want to be stuck in the left lane, and I've been in this situation enough times to know how it goes, so I slowly accelerate. The other vehicle accelerates with me. I usually have to pick up an additional 5-10 mph to pull ahead. Once I'm ahead, I'll merge back into the lane to my right. At this point, the vehicle that was once driving 15 mph faster than their original speed just to stop me from passing them drops back to their cruising speed and they quickly disappear into the rear view. It's really damn annoying, and it's easily the worst part of driving a van.

But about the pickup driver d-bag stereotpe... that stereotype comes from somewhere, and it's not just brodozers. When I'm driving a more common, boring vehicle like my '09 Civic sedan or a rental, if I'm going to have a problem with asshatery from other drivers, there's a really good chance that driver is in a pickup. That chance is disproportional to the percentage of pickups on the road, too. Not all, and probably not even half, but a very large percentage of pickup drivers are kinda like sterotypical BMW drivers, only in vehicles much bigger, clumsier, and sometimes more obnoxious vehicles than your average BMW. Turn signals are an unpopular option, parking is a mysterious secret of the ancients, and regardless of how fast they want to drive, they want to be in front. And that's where the hate comes from.

I drive an f250, and typically I drive pretty slow, I get better mileage when I keep the RPMs around 1.7k. Last time I drove my dad's mustang (about 3 years ago) people were cutting me off, trying to race me, tailgating the shit out of me... I am convinced that they saw a young male in a V8 sports car and either 1. Everyone else thought I was a douche and treated me that way, or 2. Every other douche on the road wanted to challenge me to a race their piece of shit ricer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Didn't GM make a few early Astros with 4x4?    I think I've seen pictures with 4x4 and a lift runing trails in Moab.  
View Quote

allwheel drive. the toyota previa was also available with all wheel drive
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sort of,  AWD.  My mom drove one way back in the early nineties.  It was actually a tough little van.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Roebuck, do a simple poll.

Something like, "Have you had people you don't know, ridicule or berate you for driving a truck"   YES or NO (no pie...it's stupid people need to learn that if they don't want to vote they can hit the vote button to see the results)

I'm curious as to how pervasive this "problem" actually is?  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Roebuck, do a simple poll.

Something like, "Have you had people you don't know, ridicule or berate you for driving a truck"   YES or NO (no pie...it's stupid people need to learn that if they don't want to vote they can hit the vote button to see the results)

I'm curious as to how pervasive this "problem" actually is?  

View Quote

I don't think it's a real problem at all.

I did have a Prius driver tell me I didn't need to drive an environmentally unfriendly truck.  I told her she didn't need to be such a nosy bitch either, and she went away.  My wife was appalled, but later admitted I was right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sort of,  AWD.  My mom drove one way back in the early nineties.  It was actually a tough little van.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Astro I posted a picture of on the previous page is a 1999 with AWD. The system seems a bit clunky / crude, and it can get fooled when cutting it tight in a parking lot (like a 4x4 engaged on dry pavement), but it's a pretty effective system. I've had that van on soft mud and in some pretty deep snow without issue.

The only time I've ever had it stuck, I decided to test my luck on a tall, well packed curbside snow plow pile and I got it high centered. I chipped at the pile a little and drove it right off.

It needs a bit of attention now, but I think it's worth it, and I'll be saddened when it's time for it to go. No production vehicle I know of has the same set of capabilities, and the closest thing I know of is a Suburban.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Astro I posted a picture of on the previous page is a 1999 with AWD. The system seems a bit clunky / crude, and it can get fooled when cutting it tight in a parking lot (like a 4x4 engaged on dry pavement), but it's a pretty effective system. I've had that van on soft mud and in some pretty deep snow without issue.

The only time I've ever had it stuck, I decided to test my luck on a tall, well packed curbside snow plow pile and I got it high centered. I chipped at the pile a little and drove it right off.

It needs a bit of attention now, but I think it's worth it, and I'll be saddened when it's time for it to go. No production vehicle I know of has the same set of capabilities, and the closest thing I know of is a Suburban.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wanted a lifted Astro with a part-time case, just for lols.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sure you can.  

You can also pull an Explorer out of a snowbank, haul a face cord of firewood, pack away a surprising array of weapons, etc.

I swear my car hates me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
can't pull a horse trailer with a Prius.

Sure you can.  

You can also pull an Explorer out of a snowbank, haul a face cord of firewood, pack away a surprising array of weapons, etc.

I swear my car hates me.

Stopping?

Not so much.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had millions of dollars, I'd probably have two worked over Astros. One would be my take on a modern conversion van with a kickass interior. The other would be a lifted 4x4 as you describe. LS swaps for both.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm. Since the top selling vehicles in the country in September were full-size trucks, the haters have their work cut out for them.

What is your definition of "aggressive?" If they are threatening you.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thankfully the foolish folks in CA can't pass EPA regulations outside of California. Why idiots in other states want clean air too is fucking beyond me. The population here since the 1970's has tripled - three times the number of trucks (not the little ones we're talking about - 18-wheelers), three times the number of SUVs, factories (CA is still the manufacturing capital of the US), and three times the number of ships sailing out of the ports ... yet the air is cleaner by a factor. I'm from Minnesota but people who lived here in the 1970's tell stories about how for weeks on end it was unhealthy to go outside in the summer, about how they couldn't see the mountains except for 5-10 days a year due to the smog, about how it was killing kids with breathing diseases. We're now mandated to drive electric cars or 4 cylinder trucks that have to get +30 mpg. We pay $3 a gallon in CA taxes. Vehicles are inspected annually and the inspection costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Starting January there's a new tax on miles driven with the requirement to enter the number of miles driven at the pump while filling up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
---snip---
All things aside, there is so much WTF in this thread. If people want to drive a truck, they drive a truck, that simple. Why should anyone care, assuming they are not a hypocritical tree hugger? Most greenies, Espc. Those that live in CA, tend to drive gas guzzling SUVs, wear leather shoes and have 2-5 kids who own loads of Chinese made junk...pot, kettle, black.
---snip---

Thankfully the foolish folks in CA can't pass EPA regulations outside of California. Why idiots in other states want clean air too is fucking beyond me. The population here since the 1970's has tripled - three times the number of trucks (not the little ones we're talking about - 18-wheelers), three times the number of SUVs, factories (CA is still the manufacturing capital of the US), and three times the number of ships sailing out of the ports ... yet the air is cleaner by a factor. I'm from Minnesota but people who lived here in the 1970's tell stories about how for weeks on end it was unhealthy to go outside in the summer, about how they couldn't see the mountains except for 5-10 days a year due to the smog, about how it was killing kids with breathing diseases. We're now mandated to drive electric cars or 4 cylinder trucks that have to get +30 mpg. We pay $3 a gallon in CA taxes. Vehicles are inspected annually and the inspection costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Starting January there's a new tax on miles driven with the requirement to enter the number of miles driven at the pump while filling up.

WOW! You're kidding right?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

---snip---

All things aside, there is so much WTF in this thread. If people want to drive a truck, they drive a truck, that simple. Why should anyone care, assuming they are not a hypocritical tree hugger? Most greenies, Espc. Those that live in CA, tend to drive gas guzzling SUVs, wear leather shoes and have 2-5 kids who own loads of Chinese made junk...pot, kettle, black.

---snip---

I hope he is kidding but Paul is a Chief, a Chief or higher would never bullshit

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Stopping?

Not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

can't pull a horse trailer with a Prius.

Sure you can.  

I swear my car hates me.

Stopping?

Not so much.

What are you talking about?  It's stopped right now.

What makes you think it doesn't have decent brakes?  They are probably better than those on our 1982 Chevy K10.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I was passing through the Madison WI area on a two-lane highway last year, pulling a trailer with my pickup, and I had two fucktards in Prius and Civic hybrids who were driving side-by-side, under the speed limit, for around 20 miles. It might not have been because of my pickup, but they were clearly trying to play enviro-cop and slow down traffic. Those are the fuckers that really piss me off. If you want to play tree-hugger, that's your choice, but don't try to force it on others.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top