Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Memories of a perfect day

Try for tasteful poses...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just don't like green peas, I don't throw rocks at people eating them......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few pics for posterity?

Don't see a problem.

Spending hours "playing" with the remains on video, making yourself a meat mask and undershorts, then posting it to youtube?

Ya might need to get that checked out, sparky.

As with most things, it can be taken too far.
People that use the word "sparky" sound like fags. I read that in fag voice.

Heh.

I've read a lot of your posts and agree with most everything you've said.

I was starting to like you.

I seriously doubt my comments were directed at you.

But if you want to go out of your way to get butthurt over an over the top comment directed at sociopathic teenagers or future serial killers, knock yourself out.

I wasn't really being mean, I just don't like the phrase sparky. I'm just sassy tonight.

I just don't like green peas, I don't throw rocks at people eating them......

Ok, Ok, I removed my commentary on the word "sparky". XOXO

My videos are a lot more self-incriminating than using the phrase "sparky" if that's any consolation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#4]
It was meant to be over the top/ silly.
Apparenty too far is way too subjective for y'all and dammit I hate typing on a tablet.....
Sorry to op for hijack.
Proceed.

You guys kill me.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Like i said i get the purpose of hunting.  And I wouldn't mind shooting the right animal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same thing happens to me when l see a billboard with a picture of  someone buying a prepackaged steak.

Like i said i get the purpose of hunting.  And I wouldn't mind shooting the right animal

So then if you "get" the purpose of hunting, the right animal is the one that will best feed your family.  It sounds like you are still an antler counter, which in your case seems like a contradiction.  If your "right" animal has a massive rack, do you keep that rack on your wall?  If that is so, your argument holds no water.
The photo is nothing more than capturing the moment, more or less.  

I however don't care for the idiots that hoop and hollar like they just scored the game winning goal or TD when they shoot a nice buck.  Show some respect for the beautiful creation of god that you just killed (and enough of the touchy feely harvested BS on all the hunting shows ansd crap magazines).  That animal probably had more nobility and purpose in its hard life than these sorts of d bags ever had.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
'cause sometimes words just aren't enough
" />

this is a pic thread, right
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is nothing more than a release of emotion which has been bottled up during the moments leading up to the kill.  There is EXTREME stress in anticipation of the kill, but it must be bottled up and held in order to avoid spooking the animal.  Once the deed is done, it is common to release it with joyous exclamations.  This is normal for some.

This is why I overall hate the youtube videos, as they expose certain aspects of hunting that are best left in the woods.  Non-hunters won't understand some of what is normal to hunters.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
I however don't care for the idiots that hoop and hollar like they just scored the game winning goal or TD when they shoot a nice buck.  Show some respect for the beautiful creation of god that you just killed (and enough of the touchy feely harvested BS on all the hunting shows ansd crap magazines).  That animal probably had more nobility and purpose in its hard life than these sorts of d bags ever had.

That is nothing more than a release of emotion which has been bottled up during the moments leading up to the kill.  There is EXTREME stress in anticipation of the kill, but it must be bottled up and held in order to avoid spooking the animal.  Once the deed is done, it is common to release it with joyous exclamations.  This is normal for some.

This is why I overall hate the youtube videos, as they expose certain aspects of hunting that are best left in the woods.  Non-hunters won't understand some of what is normal to hunters.  

This. I don't whoop and hollar, but my fiancee says, when I'm with her when she's hunting, and a deer walks out of the woods, I sound like I'm having a myocardial infarction.

For people that react with the whooping and hollering afterwards, that is their way of respecting the animal. They appreciate its greatness so much, they can't contain themselves.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Some call it Buck Fever.  It's that heart pounding, nerve rattling experience during the moments you see that magnificent, noble animal and decide you're going to take its life.

You can be an excellent target shooter, but a terrible shot when it comes to shooting at animals because of the emotions and stress.  Louis (Burt Reynolds character also talks about it in Deliverance, before Ned Beatty gets raped.)
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I hoop and holler quietly so as not to scare anything else that might be out there. Afterwards there's a lot of high fiving and smiling.

Then there is the re-enactment and the retelling of the story for probably weeks on end.

We don't get as many kills as most here so when we finally get one we're happy about it, all that time sitting, patterning, passing up non-legal ones that prance around in front of you, sitting, looking for sign, sitting - it finally pays off.

Some of the stuff we say afterwards would sound bad to a non-hunter. Before I hunted large wary animals that took effort I would have thought it crass as well. The reaction tends to be proportional to the effort it took to acquire them. A squirrel gets a little "yeah". My dogs "hoop and holler" in their own way. I think they would rather I get a squirrel than a deer. They LOVE to trail though, but after they've found the deer they just kind of sit there, proud.

I think I saw this article here, or maybe on facebook. I LOVE IT!!!!! I have had 2 beagles (down to one) and a beagle dachshund mix. She is the best doggie evar!!!! Oh I love my little beagle but Blue is a little more well rounded and less stubborn. We want more of them, they are the perfect breed. She is content to be on the couch or the woods. When Lucy (the beagle) trails she will get in modes sometimes where she will not quit until she drops. I love the sound she makes when she trails though. Blue is getting old, we want more Deagles but haven't found one yet.

Deer finding dachshunds

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=6029

The trio when abbie was still alive.

The two trackers. The one in the background has the dachsund blood in 'er.

My babies sleep in the same camper we do. I don't care what they smell like.

Blue waddles on her stubby little legs

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

In three years of bow hunting, I have taken no deer, and have only taken two shots. One miss, and one hit . . . on a tree.  

The nervous energy prior to taking those two shots were ridiculous.  Trying to remain calm, quiet and focused while your heart is pounding, that first shot I took, my body had to find a way to release that nervous energy, and my right leg started jumping up and down like a sewing machine before even released the arrow.  I have no idea what my reaction will be like when I actually hit one, but I know damn well I'm taking pictures.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So then if you "get" the purpose of hunting, the right animal is the one that will best feed your family.  It sounds like you are still an antler counter, which in your case seems like a contradiction.  If your "right" animal has a massive rack, do you keep that rack on your wall?  If that is so, your argument holds no water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same thing happens to me when l see a billboard with a picture of  someone buying a prepackaged steak.

but I just did in that particular game
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Even with clarification, I don't understand the question.

So, instead of an answer I don't get the question to, I give you this:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj633/mcampbell660/NVE00003_zps7642f4b4.png
View Quote

TONKA..............
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In three years of bow hunting, I have taken no deer, and have only taken two shots. One miss, and one hit . . . on a tree.

The nervous energy prior to taking those two shots were ridiculous. Trying to remain calm, quiet and focused while your heart is pounding, that first shot I took, my body had to find a way to release that nervous energy, and my right leg started jumping up and down like a sewing machine before even released the arrow. I have no idea what my reaction will be like when I actually hit one, but I know damn well I'm taking pictures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I however don't care for the idiots that hoop and hollar like they just scored the game winning goal or TD when they shoot a nice buck. Show some respect for the beautiful creation of god that you just killed (and enough of the touchy feely harvested BS on all the hunting shows ansd crap magazines). That animal probably had more nobility and purpose in its hard life than these sorts of d bags ever had.

That is nothing more than a release of emotion which has been bottled up during the moments leading up to the kill. There is EXTREME stress in anticipation of the kill, but it must be bottled up and held in order to avoid spooking the animal. Once the deed is done, it is common to release it with joyous exclamations. This is normal for some.

This is why I overall hate the youtube videos, as they expose certain aspects of hunting that are best left in the woods. Non-hunters won't understand some of what is normal to hunters.

The nervous energy prior to taking those two shots were ridiculous. Trying to remain calm, quiet and focused while your heart is pounding, that first shot I took, my body had to find a way to release that nervous energy, and my right leg started jumping up and down like a sewing machine before even released the arrow. I have no idea what my reaction will be like when I actually hit one, but I know damn well I'm taking pictures.

I shake a lot and get kind of weak. Then I worry if I can get out of the stand without falling. Sometimes I feel a moment of sadness over the cute dead animal, but I'm a woman what do you expect.    I remind myself that it had a good quality life and died quickly. Then I eat it.

Definitely a HUGE adrenalin rush.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a little different then taking pics, but just another way of celebrating and remembering the hunt..these are from the first moose I shot(back then a bull was legal to harvest  if it had  a spike, a fork, or 3 or more brow tines on one side) this bull was 3 on each side and pretty symmetrical so I had a friend who owed me some favors and got these carved for me..they are made to hang on the wall......

If you look close some of the points appear flat, thats because he was still in velvet and the horns weren't done growing, if you look at the inside brow point on the right horn(as pictured) you can see it is broke off, I have the point as it was still hanging there in velvet.....

These were done years ago, today they are quite popular and pretty expensive, I was told recently a set like mine would sell for 800-1000 per horn.....(don't have any idea if thats true, but wouldn't surprise me)..
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you have pictures of loved ones who have died. I would say it is somewhat similar. I know when I harvested my largest buck it was a proud moment and I wanted to capture that memory. We also put together a collage of animals harvested at our club. It is all about the memories...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The nervous energy prior to taking those two shots were ridiculous.  Trying to remain calm, quiet and focused while your heart is pounding, that first shot I took, my body had to find a way to release that nervous energy, and my right leg started jumping up and down like a sewing machine before even released the arrow.  I have no idea what my reaction will be like when I actually hit one, but I know damn well I'm taking pictures.
View Quote

Ahh buck fever, I experienced that when I was a kid and thought I grew out of it until a huge buck appeared, damned if I didn't have a hard time breathing

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This is a little different then taking pics, but just another way of celebrating and remembering the hunt..these are from the first moose I shot(back then a bull was legal to harvest  if it had  a spike, a fork, or 3 or more brow tines on one side) this bull was 3 on each side and pretty symmetrical so I had a friend who owed me some favors and got these carved for me..they are made to hang on the wall......

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0060_zpsaf1a6b1a.jpg

If you look close some of the points appear flat, thats because he was still in velvet and the horns weren't done growing, if you look at the inside brow point on the right horn(as pictured) you can see it is broke off, I have the point as it was still hanging there in velvet.....

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0067_zps526d9510.jpg

These were done years ago, today they are quite popular and pretty expensive, I was told recently a set like mine would sell for 800-1000 per horn.....(don't have any idea if thats true, but wouldn't surprise me)..
View Quote

those carved antlers are awesome

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been around guns my whole life. But whenever I see a hunting picture with the hunter holding up the dead animal...well i don't quite get it.  All jokes aside can someone explain this to me?
(edit due to poor choice of words)
EDIT: i am not offended at all, i am not butthurt, im just trying to understand better, i do own a hunting license. Mainly to use the ranges on state game land.
View Quote

Because how else are your buddies going to believe you got that big buck?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ahh buck fever, I experienced that when I was a kid and thought I grew out of it until a huge buck appeared, damned if I didn't have a hard time breathing

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it matters how old or how much hunting you do..you see really trophy animals and it makes you crazy.......
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I JUST GOT A SMALL BUCK!!!!! My first kill in years!!!!

I took a pic but can't post it yet.  Also did not hoop. Hoping others will come out. Shaking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I took a pic but can't post it yet.  Also did not hoop. Hoping others will come out. Shaking.

View Quote

Congrats man, save me some jerky.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#29]
It's just a small buck. Basically where we are now is in a strip of land outside of city limits. Hardly backcountry hunting but a lot of deer travel through here, to go from the developments to the river. The woods are thick right here but there is traffic noise around, we're less than a mile from a school (it was a stupid place to put a school). About a mile from Walmart.

Still there are all kinds of critters. Lots of squirrels, raccoons, saw bunnies last night.

It's private property nestled in amongst everything else. A lot of them get hit by cars.

Basically they are subdivision deer. Glad to finally have some venison!

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If OP was you, this thread would have never started since it would bring OP perfect clarity.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I have to tag this thread. Hopefully, in two weeks, I'll be posting pictures that hurts the OP's frail sensibilities.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looking forward to the picture.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Whole lotta good old fashioned America in this thread.  Great pics!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's just a small buck. Basically where we are now is in a strip of land outside of city limits. Hardly backcountry hunting but a lot of deer travel through here, to go from the developments to the river. The woods are thick right here but there is traffic noise around, we're less than a mile from a school (it was a stupid place to put a school). About a mile from Walmart.

Still there are all kinds of critters. Lots of squirrels, raccoons, saw bunnies last night.

It's private property nestled in amongst everything else. A lot of them get hit by cars.

Basically they are subdivision deer. Glad to finally have some venison!

View Quote

A fair chase animal killed in accordance with the law is ALWAYS a trophy.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Not necessarily that I'm squeamish I just don't get it, maybe I never will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not all men are squeamish about a kill. There you have it.

Do you understand why people take pictures in general?  

Of vacations (posing in front of a landmark or beautiful beach) ?

Of their meal (look at this tasty stuff I am about to eat)?

Of something they just did that they are proud of that took hard work and skill (I built this deck myself and here is a picture of me standing on it)?

Explain to me the why of those three, and in return I will explain to you hunting pics by combining all three of your responses for those three into one.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
it's been going on for a long time too.  Someone already posted the cave painting.

I'd like to add these still-life examples.  (Obviously sans hunter, he wasn't going to stand there all day, but still shows that the harvested game is a subject of interest  and decorative)

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Same with my last big deer, all I had was a high neck shot as he stopped to look over his shoulder.

Spanish mount, FTW

My dad has done a few nice spanish mounts, my sister painted some neat sunset scenes on the skull and we mounted each to a large carved cedar arrowhead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tongue out, you say?  Sure!  Last year, head shot was the only option presented on this guy.  Head is European mounted on my wall in the living room.  

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/tlbailey1/Animals/C6F73FAE-763B-484D-8DCD-57CBF2D73810_zpsnd4ukbds.jpg

Same with my last big deer, all I had was a high neck shot as he stopped to look over his shoulder.

Spanish mount, FTW

My dad has done a few nice spanish mounts, my sister painted some neat sunset scenes on the skull and we mounted each to a large carved cedar arrowhead.
what is a spanish mount?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#39]
those are cool! They double as dinner pics!

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I used to hunt quite a bit.  Somewhere along the line, I lost my blood lust.  I feel that trophy hunting is dramatically different than subsistence hunting, yet I accept both.  Just because I find trophy hunting distasteful, doesn't mean that someone else shouldn't be allowed to do it, or be happy to gloat over killing an animal that can't fight back.  Now if someone wants to kill a Grizzly bear with only a knife, that might  something that I would see as "gloat worthy".    However, little trophy hunting comes under those conditions.  

But as I said, my feelings about the issue are for myself only, and I don't try to push them on anyone else, any more than I would allow them to push their views on me.  The hunting in arctic villages where the young people try and get enough food for winter to feed all the old folks in the village makes complete sense to me...if anything, I admire them for doing so.  But again, that is dramatically different than trophy hunting.
View Quote
I am just not familiar with this distinction between trophy hunting and subsistence hunting.

For starters, except for Alaska, it is going to be cheaper to grocery shop for your caloric needs than to hunt.  Doubly so with EBT.  Most people who hunt and eat every last bit of what they shoot aren't truly subsistence hunters.  They can afford ground beef at Wal-mart they just choose to hunt anyways.

People often talk about trophy hunters as if they simply shoot the animal, lop it's head off, and go home.  Every person I've met with walls full of deer and elk and moose have fridges full of deer and elk and moose too.  They are at a stage of skill where bagging just another animal isn't as exciting, and often because you can only shoot one or two animals per season, they hold off and seek out the best animal...but they are still going to eat just as much of a 12 point buck as they would of a 4 point.

There might have been a time when you had rich aristocrat trophy hunters who touched the trigger and then sent servants scurrying to fetch the head and skin, but those days are long gone.  I just don't see a distinction between trophy hunters and 'regular' hunters...not on this continent anyways.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Your hunting license is B.S. I doubt you  have a current license, or have had one in years, if ever. Fuck it. I typed out a paragraph trying to explain it to you. It would be a waste of effort. You don't want to "get it".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not all men are squeamish about a kill. There you have it.

Your hunting license is B.S. I doubt you  have a current license, or have had one in years, if ever. Fuck it. I typed out a paragraph trying to explain it to you. It would be a waste of effort. You don't want to "get it".  
I agree with you about the OP's original claim to have a 'hunting license'

hunting license in my experience isn't something like a driver's license which allows you to drive a car any time you want to, any car you want to any length of time.  hunting licenses are in my experience for specific creatures (or groups of creatures) and a specific year and season with that year.

Hunters don't buy 'hunting licenses' they buy 'deer license (for the 2014 season, sometimes as short as few days, sometimes good for a month)' 'small game license (fall of 2014-spring of 2015)' 'turkey license' 'black bear license' 'migratory bird license' 'upland bird license' etc etc.  (Not to mention stamps)

Whenever someone says 'I don't hunt but I have a hunting license' I know they are full of it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok, here they are. The first is the deer when I walked up. It came out on my right, I had to stand up to be able to turn to take the shot and had no rifle rest. I was exited it was a legal buck AND IT WAS GETTING AWAY!!! It was steadily crossing the path and I didn't bring my grunt to stop it. I took a shot but there was brush in the way, I missed.

But it didn't run off?!?!?!!!!! It just ambered on into the thicker woods and stood behind a clump of brush. At least it was more broadside now. I waited and started to think it snuck off. It started walking to my left though.

The woods were thick AND IT WAS GETTING AWAY!!!! I kept trying to put the scope hairs in a clear spot as it was walking but it was going too fast to take the shot. I found a spot further ahead and took the shot as he entered the clearing. HE FLOPPED OVER ON HIS BACK AND KICKED A LITTLE!!! No groaning, no thrashing about.

I got down as quick as I could and he was dead. I started to drag him out but the sammich maker was still in the stand and deer wasn't going anywhere so I got back in the tree. This happened around 0930.

This was the entrance wound. It seemed to go in at the base of the neck and come out at the back of the shoulder. It seemed to take out lungs and liver. Only a small amount of shoulder meat was damaged. Between the shoulders was pretty blown up.

It was taken with a marlin 30/30, a newer one, nothing special but it seems to shoot well. I use hornady leverevolution ammo with the red pointy tip, made special for 30/30's

Here is the gratuitous "kill shot". Tongue was not hanging out.

Here is a view from the stand. It's pretty populated all around, hence the need to hunt from elevation. Shooting level around here is just crazy.

If you look carefully you can see the buck behind the small dark stump in the middle of the pic. It's facing the opposite way from when it was walking. This is a zoomed in shot from the above pic, you can tell if you look at the pattern of leaves. Just to give you some perspective.

That little branchless area was the only shot at that time.

We brought it home to the burbs and butchered it in the yard. No HOA where I live, obviously!

The pen in the back is for the chickens. The beagles and chickens gather around the area for scraps. Lucy always eats too much and throws up. On the carpet. It's already happened and we cleaned it up. It had a lot of fur in it so it was easy to clean up and didn't leave a mark. I didn't get a pic of the throw up, which is too bad because it was pretty impressive. I should have tossed it back out for the chickens.

You can see the offending beagle at the head of the deer. I threw them the legs. I took them back when we were done but obviously not soon enough to prevent the binging and purging. That's a beagle for you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Thanks for those links.  Going to buy some of that art.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Ok, here they are. The first is the deer when I walked up. It came out on my right, I had to stand up to be able to turn to take the shot and had no rifle rest. I was exited it was a legal buck AND IT WAS GETTING AWAY!!! It was steadily crossing the path and I didn't bring my grunt to stop it. I took a shot but there was brush in the way, I missed.

But it didn't run off?!?!?!!!!! It just ambered on into the thicker woods and stood behind a clump of brush. At least it was more broadside now. I waited and started to think it snuck off. It started walking to my left though.

The woods were thick AND IT WAS GETTING AWAY!!!! I kept trying to put the scope hairs in a clear spot as it was walking but it was going too fast to take the shot. I found a spot further ahead and took the shot as he entered the clearing. HE FLOPPED OVER ON HIS BACK AND KICKED A LITTLE!!! No groaning, no thrashing about.

I got down as quick as I could and he was dead. I started to drag him out but the sammich maker was still in the stand and deer wasn't going anywhere so I got back in the tree. This happened around 0930.

This was the entrance wound. It seemed to go in at the base of the neck and come out at the back of the shoulder. It seemed to take out lungs and liver. Only a small amount of shoulder meat was damaged. Between the shoulders was pretty blown up.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5613/15430240200_72fd0b87aa.jpg

It was taken with a marlin 30/30, a newer one, nothing special but it seems to shoot well. I use hornady leverevolution ammo with the red pointy tip, made special for 30/30's

Here is the gratuitous "kill shot". Tongue was not hanging out.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/15433867627_1d4cfeb963.jpg
Here is a view from the stand. It's pretty populated all around, hence the need to hunt from elevation. Shooting level around here is just crazy.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3935/15433799617_e3af70d094.jpg

If you look carefully you can see the buck behind the small dark stump in the middle of the pic. It's facing the opposite way from when it was walking. This is a zoomed in shot from the above pic, you can tell if you look at the pattern of leaves. Just to give you some perspective.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3956/14999638413_4e011db172.jpg

That little branchless area was the only shot at that time.

We brought it home to the burbs and butchered it in the yard. No HOA where I live, obviously!

The pen in the back is for the chickens. The beagles and chickens gather around the area for scraps. Lucy always eats too much and throws up. On the carpet. It's already happened and we cleaned it up. It had a lot of fur in it so it was easy to clean up and didn't leave a mark. I didn't get a pic of the throw up, which is too bad because it was pretty impressive. I should have tossed it back out for the chickens.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3944/15434347150_f67fe346bb.jpg

You can see the offending beagle at the head of the deer. I threw them the legs. I took them back when we were done but obviously not soon enough to prevent the binging and purging. That's a beagle for you.
View Quote
That's a nice buck! Congrats! There is some phenomenal hunting around subdivisions, up here in the southern part of the state there are trophy's shot every year in those areas. Sounds like you are doing it right, that spot should provide venison every year, maybe a big rack now and then as well.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I just got another one!!!! A small buck!!!

I think this thread has been very very lucky for me.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Congrats!  I'll be in the woods in a couple of hours myself
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Too many people think hunters just walk out and *BANG*, the six-by-seven bull drops dead. They have no concept of the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars of preparation and stalking which that kill represents.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The anti-hunting nonsense here always starts with something similar to that.  We're ate up with kids and liberals who have the best public school education available (no education on things that matter) and are fully indoctrinated to believe hunting is BAD.  Bad, Bad, Bad.

Oh, they always find "regular hunting" acceptable, but that "sport hunting" is BAD, BAD, BAD, BAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

When you ask them to define "sport hunting" they leave the thread and never post in it again.  I've NEVER had an answer to that even though I've asked dozens of times.  Makes ya wonder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Whenever someone says 'I don't hunt but I have a hunting license' I know they are full of it.

The anti-hunting nonsense here always starts with something similar to that.  We're ate up with kids and liberals who have the best public school education available (no education on things that matter) and are fully indoctrinated to believe hunting is BAD.  Bad, Bad, Bad.

Oh, they always find "regular hunting" acceptable, but that "sport hunting" is BAD, BAD, BAD, BAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

When you ask them to define "sport hunting" they leave the thread and never post in it again.  I've NEVER had an answer to that even though I've asked dozens of times.  Makes ya wonder.

I used to consider that the "I shot a giraffe!" crowd, but through threads like this I have a understanding of the benefits those hunts bring.

I've never hunted. Only been a shooter. Just seems like another big investment of time and gear that I spend on other things.

Nice animals in those pics. Are trophy animals over any certain size not legal in any typical hunt? I mean beyond typical?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Nice attempt to support the "we've bred all the masculinity out of men" argument, but I'm not buying.

Personally, I just bow my head and weep over my kills, lamenting the tragedy that magnificent creatures must die that my unworthy self might live...
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top