User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol,  I have a snapper derby trophy around somewhere. They used to have it at the Babylon docks at the same time as the big tuna tournament.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Born and raised in selden...I miss ny. I remember back in the day getting dropped off at the docks in port jeff going flounder fishing freezing my balls off. Also chilling at the rocky point, cedar beach...cant forget smiths point.
Fuck....the good old days. Blue fishing...snapper fishing.

Newfield or Centereach??

I miss snapper fishing off the Lindenhurst dock as a kid.

Used to still be able to catch bait fish in the canals and would then bike over with my bamboo pole from the middle of a roll of carpet, a length of line, a hook and a bobber.

Still remember the first time someone from Missouri told me about fishing licenses, I sure did pity them for not living in a Free State like I did.

Pay to catch fish? Whoever heard of such a crazy thing!!!

Lol,  I have a snapper derby trophy around somewhere. They used to have it at the Babylon docks at the same time as the big tuna tournament.

My Aunt and Uncle lived in a house on Fire Island Avenue a stone's throw from the Babylon dock. My Dad and my Grandpa had built it for them.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The whole small section of downstate NY can just FO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I can understand your ignorance about Long Island.  The most bizarre thing is people visiting NYC thinking they can bring their handguns with them.  I would thing a gun person would know that is asking for big trouble.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up on the North Fork, graduated HS mid 2000's and what Silverbulletz06 is pretty much the case.  Now that I don't live there anymore, its a great place to visit.  The South Fork (where the Hamptons are) is nice, but very expensive and traffic is practically at a standstill in the summer.  Knowledge of the backroads are a must.  As a result, people come over to the north fork and now traffic is painful, and everything is expensive.  It was awesome to be able to easily go to the ocean, the bay in between the forks, or the LI sound pretty easy.  Growing up that far east could get boring since the only thing late 24/7 is 7-eleven.  Suffolk county is largely agricultural, which is a stark contrast to Nassau county, and even more so Queens and Brooklyn.  They really are completely different areas.  I've never heard anyone say Long Guyland, except in jest, not sure where it comes from.  

A lot of people on the east end hunt, there is a huge deer overpopulation due to no natural predators.  Friends family put up a $25k fence around the property and recouped the cost from deer damage in 8 months.  You occasionally get the "save bambi" people, but they just don't understand how big of a problem they are.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck ever defining upstate. I spent most of my life in Orange County and most people considered themselves upstate. Apparently upstate is always north of wherever you are lol. My grandmother in Brooklyn was upstate the minute she crossed the Goethals bridge and she wasn't even in NY yet. I even knew a girl from Syracuse who said she wasn't from upstate. She considered upstate to be north of her haha.

Somewhere in a pile of pictures, maybe dads or sisters house, is a picture of out great-grandparents, sitting on a farm in Brooklyn. Before the move to the island we played stick ball down at Ft Hamilton, before they built the verrazano bridge. Use to catch blue tip crabs off the docks. There's along history from the country life & farm in Brooklyn to the insanity some folks still call home on the island.

Should get all you relocated to CO folks together for some pizza hopping. Might even let one or 2 wayward joisey boys tag along. YOU Know who you are

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The CO transplants should road trip to the Brooklyn Deli in Longmont. Real NY food and attitude!
Jerseyites?  Fuggedaboutit!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They talk funny there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Drink funny tea, too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Coffee

LI: Cough-ee
Others: caw-fee

Yea, I'm on the island. Representin da 516 by the border
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good luck ever defining upstate. I spent most of my life in Orange County and most people considered themselves upstate. Apparently upstate is always north of wherever you are lol. My grandmother in Brooklyn was upstate the minute she crossed the Goethals bridge and she wasn't even in NY yet. I even knew a girl from Syracuse who said she wasn't from upstate. She considered upstate to be north of her haha.

Somewhere in a pile of pictures, maybe dads or sisters house, is a picture of out great-grandparents, sitting on a farm in Brooklyn. Before the move to the island we played stick ball down at Ft Hamilton, before they built the verrazano bridge. Use to catch blue tip crabs off the docks. There's along history from the country life & farm in Brooklyn to the insanity some folks still call home on the island.

Should get all you relocated to CO folks together for some pizza hopping. Might even let one or 2 wayward joisey boys tag along. YOU Know who you are

View Quote

I've lived in NY almost my entire life, and still don't know what is truly upstate.  I consider myself upstate, and I'm an hour south of Syracuse.  People north of me probably don't consider me upstate.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I lived in NY my entire life. I love driving my Jeep on the beach & striped bass fishing, I love going to our place in western NY to shoot & hunt, truly a beautiful state. I can deal with the high taxes & crappy commute, I feel it is a tradeoff for the lifestyle of having access to a great city+great beaches+great wilderness areas all within a couple hours drive of my home in Nassau County.
I can't deal with the SAFE act or the large influx of hippy commie jerkoffs that have moved into the area in recent years, I own some rental properties in NYC & not one of the hippy Obama loving tenants are native to NY, they are all well to do assholes from rich suburbs around the nation, there are almost no native NYers left in NYC.
The NYC AWB & Dinkins forced me to leave Brooklyn, now the SAFE Act & Cuomo are forcing me out of the state!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Long Island is arguably worse than NYC.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've lived in NY almost my entire life, and still don't know what is truly upstate.  I consider myself upstate, and I'm an hour south of Syracuse.  People north of me probably don't consider me upstate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need something to proclaim your "Upstate-ness".  Perhaps an "Upstate Life" sticker for your vehicle?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You need something to proclaim your "Upstate-ness".  Perhaps an "Upstate Life" sticker for your vehicle?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Traffic is miserable.  Hate driving out there.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very much depends on the time of day and where.

Today I had to drive to MD and left at 7:00. I was crawling all the way to NJ.

During parts of my normal daily commute I've been known to hit 80 mph.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like "Thug Life" only with fewer teeth.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey now, I live in the outskirts of the 'burbs.  We have all of our teeth 'round here.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I have to go through the Bronx to get to you, then you're upstate.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Easy mistake to make.

You'd be surprised at how many folks think that Texas is only one state.      

dp
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The northern part is too crowded and expensive for my tastes.  However, I did go to a Virginia Tech game one time and that part of the state was beautiful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhh, let him think VA is nothing but inbred rednecks. We don't need anymore people thinking it's a good place to move too.

The northern part is too crowded and expensive for my tastes.  However, I did go to a Virginia Tech game one time and that part of the state was beautiful.

Yeah, NoVA sucks only slightly less than NY, isn't that much cheaper than NYC outside of Manhattan, and it's pulling the rest of the state into it's suckiness by electing shithead democrats to statewide office (look at our Senators and Governor. . .)  

Honestly, it's unlikely I'll come back to VA once my time in purgatory is over.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not my MSPaint, but I think this is pretty close.
  http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/orioles1/new-york-county-map.png

Anyone from Syracuse who doesn't think that they're from upstate is a moron.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY;

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yeah, NoVA sucks only slightly less than NY, isn't that much cheaper than NYC outside of Manhattan, and it's pulling the rest of the state into it's suckiness by electing shithead democrats to statewide office (look at our Senators and Governor. . .)  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhh, let him think VA is nothing but inbred rednecks. We don't need anymore people thinking it's a good place to move too.

NY and the rest of the Northeast has many beautiful places, and would be a great place to live, if it weren't for all the liberal douches that have overrun the place.

Agreed.  Problem is the northeast is moving south.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong! Rockland and Westchester are downstate. Really, everything north of the Tapan Zee bridge is upstate.

Unless you live in Yonkers!

This is the belief of the NY City television news people and has been since they built the Thruway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#30]
the north east is the lowest bastion of scum just before the wax ring in a toilet bowl...then you get the females from NJ
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's amusing to see someone refer to LI as being in New England.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You were so close to making it to New England.  So Close...

Yeah, it's amusing to see someone refer to LI as being in New England.

Sarah Palin can SEE New England from Long Island.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll stick with my side of The Sound.

OP go stand on the north shore and wave, I'll wave back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That map shows Westchester and Rockland in downstate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong! Rockland and Westchester are downstate. Really, everything north of the Tapan Zee bridge is upstate.

Unless you live in Yonkers!

This is the belief of the NY City television news people and has been since they built the Thruway.

That map shows Westchester and Rockland in downstate.

Westchester is CT's 9th county
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I only know of Long Island through the Barefoot Contessa. It seems nice.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Anything north of the Bronx is "upstate"!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yep.  People who think of NYS as nothing but a giant city (a surprising amount of people literally believe that) would be shocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NY and the rest of the Northeast has many beautiful places, and would be a great place to live, if it weren't for all the liberal douches that have overrun the place.

Yep.  People who think of NYS as nothing but a giant city (a surprising amount of people literally believe that) would be shocked.

Agree with both..   Some of my favorite places to fish

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top