What's a ZJ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did you make some extra money:
- side jobs, giggalo, sold shit on eBay?

All right. It's a regular hot dog cart in here, huh?

All right, here's how it works: One dollar to look at it, two dollars to touch it, three dollars to watch me touch it...BACK THE FUCK UP, ANTONIO! MY DICK!

My apologies. Five to touch it while I touch my toes, six dollars to touch it while I touch your toe...

Look, I wish I could give you a deal here, but my pimp's a real ball ache, you know?

So it's ten dollars for a BJ, twelve dollars for an HJ, and fifteen for a ZJ.

What's a ZJ?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi,
I am interested in all methods/ strategies/ ways you save or make money ( like weekend or side work):
-cheap recipes, coupons, discounts, negotiated a lower cable bill, cut energy costs

View Quote

That one is easy.  

Call cable company, and tell them you no longer wish to receive their services.  

They'll come calling within a few weeks try to lure you back with lower prices, but hold fast - you have already reduced your cable bill to zero dollars a month, why increase it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Who in the hell are the people in the first link that are saving assloads because of the ACA?

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a regular 9-5er office job that provides the benefits and pay the regular costs of living (barely)

I make money on the side repairing computers, tablets, and cell phones and throw that into savings.  broken cell phones make me the most tho.  people are always breaking their shit, especially the screens.  

you just need to be willing to do the extra work that people are wither not willing to do or don't have the knowledge/skills to do it themselves.

fix cars, tattoos, lawn care, etc.  there is plenty of money to be made.  you just need something to offer in exchange for it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Coupon groceries like a mofo, cook for a week vs. daily.  Have a spending budget for them.

Don't drive it like you stole it.  Found a shorter way to work.

Do my own car maintenance/repair.  Don't have a car payment.  Older cars are cheaper to insure, tax, and title.  

Cut eating out to 0 per month when we figured out we can cook just as well.

Learn how to make something people want to buy.

Heat set to 60 in the winter.  Don't buy any clothes unless they are on sale.  

ETC.

Saving  money is about figuring out how to spend less on everything and not buying everything you want.....just what you need.
View Quote

This is hard with women. For them, going out to eat has nothing to do with food or eating, it's all about the show and being seen out.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Drop cable,  get a cheap antenna  at Walmart or Target.  With no TV,  you have more time to do $$ making things.

Take your lunch to work.  Saves a ton.  Either leftovers from dinner the night before,  sandwiches,  or soup.  Even a can of soup from the grocery store is cheaper than  a burger  or a sub.  Don't  buy coffee  on the way to work.  Fill up a thermal mug at home.  Instead  of hitting  vending machines at work,  keep some snacks and/or soda in your desk.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who in the hell are the people in the first link that are saving assloads because of the ACA?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I noticed that too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Go watch Beerfest.  Dumbest movie you'll ever love, next to Super Troopers... which ironically, is the same guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All right, here's how it works: One dollar to look at it, two dollars to touch it, three dollars to watch me touch it...BACK THE FUCK UP, ANTONIO! MY DICK!

My apologies. Five to touch it while I touch my toes, six dollars to touch it while I touch your toe...

Look, I wish I could give you a deal here, but my pimp's a real ball ache, you know?

What's a ZJ?

Go watch Beerfest.  Dumbest movie you'll ever love, next to Super Troopers... which ironically, is the same guys.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?

LOL, He doesn't know what a ZJ is.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/6b/6b54d59fa9102480da32b603613fb051acb00214fbe5e3864f9b355ed4c7a235.jpg

Oops
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I started a kids clothing consignment sale.  We sell kids clothes, toys, car seats, strollers, walkers, etc. on consignment.  We keep 1/3 of all sales plus a $10.00 consignment fee.  We only have two sales per year.  If we sell something that we own, we keep 100%.  I visit yard sales looking for kid items to sell at our consignment sales.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife and I started a kids clothing consignment sale.  We sale kids clothes, toys, car seats, strollers, walkers, etc. on consignment.  We keep 1/3 of all sales plus a $10.00 consignment fee.  We only have two sales per year.  If we sell something that we own, we keep 100%.  I visit yard sales looking for kid items to sell at our consignment sales.
View Quote

My spouse goes with me Estate Saling, we do a drive by and we usually are in stereo when we see the baby clothes...

"Baby Clothes...hit the gas".
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have always been curious how you could make money at delivering pizzias when gas is 3.50 a gallon and with the wear on your car factored in. I know friends did it in high school but gas was 1.20 a gallon?
I am open, but do you have details.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bring leftovers to work rather than going out to lunch. Stop going to restaurants, theaters, concerts, ball games, and bars. Postpone vacations. Go easy on gifts. Fix stuff yourself.  Buy used cars with cash. Sell stuff you can live without. Don't buy every good deal you come across. You can go broke saving money. Ditch cable. Use cheap internet. Delivering pizzas a few nights a week can net $1,000/month. Thrift stores are your friends. Small sacrifices add up.

I have always been curious how you could make money at delivering pizzias when gas is 3.50 a gallon and with the wear on your car factored in. I know friends did it in high school but gas was 1.20 a gallon?

Modern cars don't have as much wear and tear on them as people think, with delivery jobs. Tighter tolerances, better quality mechanicals. You do expose your car to the elements more, including road salt in areas that use it.

I averaged $17 an hour doing pizza delivery. I did not try to figure out maintainence or gas costs, since my typical weekend of deliveries was probably less mileage than one day's commute to my full time job. Yes, you will have a bit more wear and tear from starting/stopping the engine more frequently, but I feel that it's insignificent in the overall life of the car.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My spouse goes with me Estate Saling, we do a drive by and we usually are in stereo when we see the baby clothes...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife and I started a kids clothing consignment sale.  We sale kids clothes, toys, car seats, strollers, walkers, etc. on consignment.  We keep 1/3 of all sales plus a $10.00 consignment fee.  We only have two sales per year.  If we sell something that we own, we keep 100%.  I visit yard sales looking for kid items to sell at our consignment sales.

Nailed it.

Even looking to the back and even into the garage itself hardly ever turns anything good up. Even if it's "guy stuff", it's often generic/harbor freight every day tools or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I know im in the minority here, but i live and work on the road.  Every Friday whatever i haven't spent in my checking goes into my savings.  I just started this 2 months ago but its already adding up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are not making money with a car payment and with gas prices, however, they are offsetting the expense a little bit. I will bet that a better vehicle decision would often result in not needing the second job.  Delivering pizza in a new Dodge Charger or a new fullsized pickup doesn't reflect good decision making skills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bring leftovers to work rather than going out to lunch. Stop going to restaurants, theaters, concerts, ball games, and bars. Postpone vacations. Go easy on gifts. Fix stuff yourself.  Buy used cars with cash. Sell stuff you can live without. Don't buy every good deal you come across. You can go broke saving money. Ditch cable. Use cheap internet. Delivering pizzas a few nights a week can net $1,000/month. Thrift stores are your friends. Small sacrifices add up.

They are not making money with a car payment and with gas prices, however, they are offsetting the expense a little bit. I will bet that a better vehicle decision would often result in not needing the second job.  Delivering pizza in a new Dodge Charger or a new fullsized pickup doesn't reflect good decision making skills.

Obviously delivering pizzas does not make sense all the time. I have not done it but have heard quite a few people doing it and it appeals to be because I don't have to sit in front of a computer, talk on the phone, answer 100 questions a day like I do now.  I would not deliver pizzas if I had to drive 10 miles to make a delivery in a new or gas guzzling truck, unreliable vehicle, etc. I'm in the city so one wouldn't put a lot of miles on their car. If you are quick, and know how to speak to someone without appearing brain-dead, you stand a good chance at making good tips. I would rather deliver pizzas for extra cash than stand at a cash register or serve food part time. I have been seeing a newer BMW with a pizza sign/light on top. I still can't figure that one out. Why someone would beat on their expensive car like that. I hope they aren't making payments. Nice cars should be a small symbol of your success, not all you have to show for it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?

If you have to ask big man...you can't afford it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a portion of my check deducted to my credit union savings account.
View Quote

Checking account

That the wife may not know about

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Take my beer cans to the recycler.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was an active topic in GD this morning.
I net $1600/month after gas for 18/hrs a week

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Arfcom (subnet specifically) turned me on to YNAB. After seeing what was coming in and going out, the only realistic strategy was cutting everything not necessary.

• I cut cable and moved to prepaid smartphones which amounts to about $222.00 in savings per month.

• Started changing my own brakes and oil (though the oil is probably a wash since the local jiffy thief with coupons is only like 30 bucks, but hey I like to do it)

• Refinanced my mortgage from 5% to about 3.6%

• Stopped going out for lunch at work

• No takeout

• Adjusted the dependents on my tax return and pump that money into a mutual fund

• Max'd out my 401k

• We're cutting dental this year and going to cash only since they jacked the premiums

• Quit smoking

• Got fit

Doing all these things allowed my wife to drop two days at work to be home with the kids, and at the same time our net worth has been growing faster than when she was putting in a full 40 hour week.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?

If you don't know you can't afford it
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to not be able to pass a convenience store without going in, and I've cut that down a lot. We have cut our eating out down a lot, and when we do its cheaper than the chain restaurants.

I've been pumping that to drop my debt down. Its not much, but $20-50 every 2 weeks does add up!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tip # 1:

Do Bing searches for free Amazon gift cards.

You're allowed 5 Bing Rewards accounts per household.

Make yourself 5 Hotmail accounts, and you'll need 5 phone numbers as well (a unique phone number is required for each account for verification purposes).

I make $50-$100 per month just from doing daily Bing searches using 5 accounts. That adds up quickly.

https://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_cec4a8ad-0ed1-0797-920d-ff9ff28d1785

Tip # 2:

Use credit cards wisely. Put every possible expense on your card, and always pay your bill off in full every month, and maximize your % cash back by using the right cards for the right purchases. Example: Discover is giving 5% cash back on all online purchases right now through December. Chase Freedom is giving 5% cash back on Amazon purchases through December.

If you do plenty of spending, TAKE OUT MORE CREDIT CARDS. It helps your credit score because you have
View Quote

How do you sign up for this? No matter what i use, computer, tablet or phone everytime i go to sign up it gives me a error page , when i contact help desk they ask what im running followed by a closed ticket..?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How do you sign up for this? No matter what i use, computer, tablet or phone everytime i go to sign up it gives me a error page , when i contact help desk they ask what im running followed by a closed ticket..?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tip # 1:

Do Bing searches for free Amazon gift cards.

You're allowed 5 Bing Rewards accounts per household.

Make yourself 5 Hotmail accounts, and you'll need 5 phone numbers as well (a unique phone number is required for each account for verification purposes).

I make $50-$100 per month just from doing daily Bing searches using 5 accounts. That adds up quickly.

https://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_cb66b0a6-b5af-8418-1cea-e3db728b8058

Tip # 2:

Use credit cards wisely. Put every possible expense on your card, and always pay your bill off in full every month, and maximize your % cash back by using the right cards for the right purchases. Example: Discover is giving 5% cash back on all online purchases right now through December. Chase Freedom is giving 5% cash back on Amazon purchases through December.

If you do plenty of spending, TAKE OUT MORE CREDIT CARDS. It helps your credit score because you have

Should be working fine.

I just tried it on another computer and it worked fine for me.

If you create a Hotmail account beforehand, that may help. In fact, that may be required anyway.  I forget.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Arfcom (subnet specifically) turned me on to YNAB. After seeing what was coming in and going out, the only realistic strategy was cutting everything not necessary.

• I cut cable and moved to prepaid smartphones which amounts to about $222.00 in savings per month.

• Started changing my own brakes and oil (though the oil is probably a wash since the local jiffy thief with coupons is only like 30 bucks, but hey I like to do it)

• Refinanced my mortgage from 5% to about 3.6%

• Stopped going out for lunch at work

• No takeout

• Adjusted the dependents on my tax return and pump that money into a mutual fund

• Max'd out my 401k

• We're cutting dental this year and going to cash only since they jacked the premiums

• Quit smoking

• Got fit

Doing all these things allowed my wife to drop two days at work to be home with the kids, and at the same time our net worth has been growing faster than when she was putting in a full 40 hour week.
View Quote

YNAB is a great piece of software. In the spirit of saving money, it's often in the Steam sales for 50% or 75% off, so with the fall and winter sales coming, there's no reason to not pick it up!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't know if this is the place to say this as it seems you are not to this point yet; although I am confident you will be:

Despite what Dave Ramsey says you will never be rich if all your assets are tied up in your house or your bank account. You need money to make money and sometimes that means debt. Yes I am saying that debt isn't bad if you are using it to earn. Debt for shit you want is the problem.

Debt for operating capital and equipment allows me to raise crops, without it I would have 4k acres growing weeds. I calculate what I borrow to have a planned return of 30% or greater. If it doesn't meet that number I don't borrow it. You need to understand the cost of money saved, spent, and borrowed to make these estimates. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar next year (you can use that dollar to earn for a year if you had it now). If you can borrow that dollar today for less than you will make if you had it you win!

Opportunity costs and net present value are the reasons I live in a 5th wheel trailer, why my shop is a 70 year old quonset with a dirt floor. I could build a new shop and a new house; I wouldn't go broke if I did. But I wouldn't have the money to irrigate 400 new acres which is what I did with that money instead.

This is all the long way round the barn to say: Your money's first job is a tool to make more of it. Use it as such and you will prosper more than you fail.
View Quote

I've always been impressed with farmers. It's like the all around every skill in one type of job.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Of course as mentioned use coupons.
But since I do electrical work I save all scrape copper and aluminum and sell it as the pile builds up.
Another thing I do is save all pennies and I also place in another container all my dimes and nickels.
Just to show you how much spare change can add up I recently took one of those plastic baby wipes containers that had nickels and dimes in it and they covered the bottom only about a heighth of maybe one inch.
I put them through one of those coin hoppers that of course do charge you a percenetage but the total came out to be $59.65.
Pretty good for just money that was pulled daily out my pocket for a few months.
I told a friend the other day that since all those jars and containers of pennies are getting quite large I must soon cash them in.
I have been saving those damn things since the 1970's.
It will be interesting to see how much I get for them.
View Quote

I would check those coins before you turn 'em in. Pull out the '64s and older to sell for silver content. Currently, one dime is worth $1.26! Nickles from '42-'45 are worth around $1. You probably have a bunch that haven't been picked through yet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#29]

I only shop at Harbor Freight when I get a 25% coupon.

20% coupons are for suckers!!!

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Start a charity or solicit for one.

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/
View Quote

Festivus for the rest of us!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#31]
invested in a mini mill and learning some machining skills

goal is to design/machine out rifle chassis' for their .22LR's and sell them $500+ a piece.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Bump for more good ideas.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Apparently that couponing shit works. Saw a woman in front of me at the grocery store the other day get $127 worth of toilet paper, soap, toothpaste etc for $6.50 . It took some time to ring her up and sort through all the coupons but she damn sure didn't care. She saved over $100 on stuff she needs on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Apparently that couponing shit works. Saw a woman in front of me at the grocery store the other day get $127 worth of toilet paper, soap, toothpaste etc for $6.50 . It took some time to ring her up and sort through all the coupons but she damn sure didn't care. She saved over $100 on stuff she needs on a daily basis.
View Quote

Details?

Where did she get the coupons and how does one go about doing this?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't be so sure. I followed the usual advice on coupons and bought a Sunday paper. All the coupons were for processed/packaged food, soft drinks, and all manner of shit my family doesn't use.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Details?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details?

There's TV shows on this, "extreme couponing" or something. Kinda like a hoarder mentality, IMO.  These show usually feature the more extreme couponers, who buy thousands of dollars worth of products, and end up paying just a few bucks. They look for double coupon days at stores, 2 for 1 coupons, use coupons on sale items, etc. It's a full time job for some, actually, just to collect the coupons. Even go around to neighbors to ask for ads with coupons, stuff like that.

They buy a "lifetime" supply of crap, some which won't have a lifetime shelf life. some buy crap just because they can get it cheap or free, but don't use it. Many have whole rooms dedicated to storing all the stuff they buy.

Some of them give the stuff to charity or family/friends.

The example being quoted here though, is probably not in that area of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#37]
If you pay for a lot of stuff with cash, save your change (coins) in a jar or tub. I'd been saving mine for months in advance of a trip I'm taking this week - $122! I was surprised I had so much.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I charge a minimum of $125 per hour for my labor expertise, book out at least 120 hours a week

Pay my staff peanuts

Works for me
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you pay for a lot of stuff with cash, save your change (coins) in a jar or tub. I'd been saving mine for months in advance of a trip I'm taking this week - $122! I was surprised I had so much.
View Quote

A better idea is to never, ever pay for anything with cash if you can avoid it.

Pay with a credit card, but auto-pay the full balance on your credit card every month.

That way you get cash back on your purchases (up to 5% or 10% from some of the better cards), and you don't build up any kind of debt either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Having been hit by several of the big retail hacking events,  with my debit and credit  card having to  be reissued,  is the reason  I'm  using cash so much.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Fly free by signing up for Southwest Visa during their 2 round trip promos. Spend $3k in three months to get this offer. Don't sign up when it's only one free round trip. Watch out for two, round trip offers.

Eating out is my biggest expense. My fiancé and I spend around $650 a month eating out
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Richest Man in Babylon.  Read it or listen to it for free on U-Tube.

I write articles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:14:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

A habit from when I was broke, I never spend any change or $1 bills. It adds up pretty quickly and its like a poor mans round-up savings plan.
View Quote
I have this bowl on my dresser I toss my change in every day. It adds up to about $50 every other month or so.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#44]
If possible, upgrade your $20s to $50s and when able upgrade to $100s. It makes you think twice about buying that burger for $7.00 breaking $100. You also not want to risk $100 bill in a vending machine
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I eat the same thing (almost) every day. I grocery shop on the Saturday after payday. Sunday I cook it all, divide it into individual portions, then freeze it.  I'm currently eating for 2 weeks on around $50.

10 cups Rice
10 cans Red kidney beans
5 bags Frozen mixed vegetables
10 cans Diced tomatoes
2 packs of boneless chicken breast, five breasts in each pack.

This makes  2 meals a day for 10 days.  Oatmeal for breakfast. It's monotonous, but it's cheap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I eat the same thing (almost) every day. I grocery shop on the Saturday after payday. Sunday I cook it all, divide it into individual portions, then freeze it.  I'm currently eating for 2 weeks on around $50.

10 cups Rice
10 cans Red kidney beans
10 cans Diced tomatoes

This makes  2 meals a day for 10 days.  Oatmeal for breakfast. It's monotonous, but it's cheap.
View Quote

This is why everyone is broke. They hate the routine of life, so spend money to change their views.
Hard thing to overcome. You have a healthy routine, and follow sometimes myself.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump for more ideas. Spent WAY too much money on Black Friday this year.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

10 cups Rice
10 cans Red kidney beans
10 cans Diced tomatoes

View Quote

Same here, but I make sure to mix a lot of vitamins in there too.

Milk and cereal is also cheap and has protein.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top