Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2014 12:00:41 AM EDT
Hi,
I am interested in all methods/ strategies/ ways you save or make money ( like weekend or side work):
-cheap recipes, coupons, discounts, negotiated a lower cable bill, cut energy costs

How did you make some extra money:
- side jobs, giggalo, sold shit on eBay?

I'm running tight ship now, but I have a ring and a wedding to pay for in about 18 months and I want to pay for both in cash. I need so extra help cutting costs/ generating some side cash.
Any help would be great.
Thank you,
Tom
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Get another job.

Tell your SO to get another job.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Or a quality laser printer
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Pick up handyman / computer work from my neighbors and their friends. Use my truck to help folks move or pick up stuff.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:06:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Here you go OP .
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]
1. follow fat people playing tuba
2. .???
3. Profit

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If I see something I can buy and resell for more money, I'll snag it and dump it.

Not a steady or reliable method, though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:45:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Recently I started putting back $2.75-$5 a day from either loose change or changing out larger bills.
$2.75x7 days=$19.25
19.25x52weeks=$1001  
Figured if I can remember to do put in $2.75 minimum everyday for a year I'll turn around and put in into an index fund or something. Each year try to put in another $1k.

(keep in mind im a broke ass college kid)
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Discipline

/thread
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#11]
There was an internet survey site mentioned on here at one time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a blue trash can, cut a circle in the top and spray painted the recycling symbol on it. I then placed it in a convenient location at work. $20-$40 a week.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get another job.

Tell your SO to get another job.

View Quote

Theres some solid help right there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Start a charity or solicit for one.

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]
ON a serious note, some time ago, there was a thread on power tools, and someone mentioned making some Nativity scene cutouts out of play, painting them white and a bit of glitter. Sells out every season.

Holiday woodworking project sounds like it could make a side money maker. You just have to find something that isn't sold by every woodworker at a craft show.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#16]
My grandfather made tables out of inlaid wood, sold them for thousands. Stupid simple to make after you get the system down.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have any handyman skills there always seems to be plenty of people that need simple stuff done around their house.  I've made extra cash helping out contractors that need the occasional extra help.

Another quick way to save some extra money is to round up all your purchases to nearest $5 or $10.  When you reconcile your bank statement role the extra into savings every month.  Adds up pretty quick, but requires discipline.

Look around your place, if you have anything you haven't touched in 6 months to a year, sell it, you'll never even know it's gone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#18]
A habit from when I was broke, I never spend any change or $1 bills. It adds up pretty quickly and its like a poor mans round-up savings plan.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:32:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a portion of my check deducted to my credit union savings account.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Be really good at something and charge people out the ass for whatever it is.

View Quote

True story.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Use youtube to educate yourself on how to fix your appliances and purchase the parts on line. Same for you automobiles. Or any project around the house you might hire someone else to do.

I used a recipe someone posted here to make my own laundry detergent. Basically the cost of a new 5 gallon buck, cheese grader (you probably have one), and about 10 bucks worth of cleaning chemicals helps me make about 40 gallons of laundry detergent. I use a paint mixer attachment for my cordless drill to do my stirring.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Tip # 1:

Do Bing searches for free Amazon gift cards.

You're allowed 5 Bing Rewards accounts per household.

Make yourself 5 Hotmail accounts, and you'll need 5 phone numbers as well (a unique phone number is required for each account for verification purposes).

I make $50-$100 per month just from doing daily Bing searches using 5 accounts. That adds up quickly.

https://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_cec4a8ad-0ed1-0797-920d-ff9ff28d1785

Tip # 2:

Use credit cards wisely. Put every possible expense on your card, and always pay your bill off in full every month, and maximize your % cash back by using the right cards for the right purchases. Example: Discover is giving 5% cash back on all online purchases right now through December. Chase Freedom is giving 5% cash back on Amazon purchases through December.

If you do plenty of spending, TAKE OUT MORE CREDIT CARDS. It helps your credit score because you have more available credit, and you get paid an opening bonus of anywhere from $25 to $500 FOR FREE to take out new credit cards (depending on the card). Of course, cards with big bonuses generally require spending a certain amount with the card (usually over $500) in the first 3 months, so this option only works for people that spend money to some degree. Still, most people should have no problem finding some way to put $500 on a credit card in 3 months.

I'm generally a light spender, which is the ideal way to save money, but I still make hundreds or even thousands of $$$ a year from cash rewards on credit cards. And the best part is, it never involves being in any kind of debt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#24]
This is relevant to my interests right now.  What do you currently do for a living? What other skills do you have?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]

If you're remotely handy, people pay around $100 a pop to have their sewing machines "tuned up" and the timing adjusted.

Stupid easy to do.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#26]
For starters, take a look at ALL of your bills, decide what you can live with and without.. I did that last year and ended up getting rid of my landline, second cell phone, got a different plan for the primary cell phone, and increased my insurance deductibles to 1k from $500.00.  Ended up saving almost $200.00 a month.

Other things I did...essentially stopped going out.  While my friends are out spending $$.$$ and sometimes $$$.$$ on bars, I stay home with the dag, or just enjoy the things I work so hard to keep/maintain.  Saves money on gas, vehicle wear and tear, is healthier (since I am not drinking beer or eating bar food), and I am not literally pissing money away on booze.  

Prepare meals at home..more time consuming, but cheaper..
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For starters, take a look at ALL of your bills, decide what you can live with and without.. I did that last year and ended up getting rid of my landline, second cell phone, got a different plan for the primary cell phone, and increased my insurance deductibles to 1k from $500.00.  Ended up saving almost $200.00 a month.

Other things I did...essentially stopped going out.  While my friends are out spending $$.$$ and sometimes $$$.$$ on bars, I stay home with the dag, or just enjoy the things I work so hard to keep/maintain.  Saves money on gas, vehicle wear and tear, is healthier (since I am not drinking beer or eating bar food), and I am not literally pissing money away on booze.  

View Quote

Tag
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Pretty much a pimp, so hookers pay me and I don't have to pay them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I need bucks to buy a new bike, so I got a part-time job.

The spousal unit is pissed that the money I make isn't going towards paying bills, but tough shit. I'm giving up MY free time to make money, I'll spend it as I please.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Your soon-to-be wife undoubtedly uses Facebook. Have her join local Trader/Online Garage Sale/WTB Facebook groups. (There are many. Probably multiples ones for your city, county, and region). Sell EVERYTHING you don't need. Have two toasters because one has more slots? Sell one. Have wall hangings/decorations that you didn't have room for and sit in a closet? Sell them. Have extra chairs in the basement that don't match? Sell them.

Seriously. People on those websites buy ANYTHING. Used clothes, old decorations, anything. And unlike Craigslist, it's a little less shady and you know you don't have to drive far to meet with them. While this isn't a long-term way to make money, it is a nice way to build up your savings for a once in a lifetime event. It'll also get all the junk in your house gone. You will get lots more junk for wedding gifts, anyway, so might as well make room.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, live below your means.  We already changed house & vehicle insurance, called cable company & got a lower rate.  We're in some good credit card debt and paying over $500 in interest alone each month mostly due to wifey's bad credit score.  We're getting ready to sell her car to pay most of the cards off.  She works from home, store is 1/2 a mile away.  It seems drastic but we'll be in a much better position this time next year.

ETA:  We also buy our meat in bulk.  Some facebook place my wife belongs to will have you sign up for what ever is coming up and it's somewhere between 20% to 40% lower than store prices.  We'll get 80lbs of natural organic treehugging chicken breasts/ground beef at a time, vacuum seal and we're set for the next 3 months.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Bring leftovers to work rather than going out to lunch. Stop going to restaurants, theaters, concerts, ball games, and bars. Postpone vacations. Go easy on gifts. Fix stuff yourself.  Buy used cars with cash. Sell stuff you can live without. Don't buy every good deal you come across. You can go broke saving money. Ditch cable. Use cheap internet. Delivering pizzas a few nights a week can net $1,000/month. Thrift stores are your friends. Small sacrifices add up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Ditch cable and put up an antenna.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I do Bing Rewards for Amazon cards (mentioned above, really easy) and I also do surveys through Pinecone Research (referral only).  Each survey is takes about 10 minutes and is worth $3 in cash.  Occasionally I am also a product tester through them.  I have gotten free food in the mail, as well as other free products to try (extra compensation when you return them).  I don't do many surveys per month, but so far have made a few hundred bucks this year.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I pay myself first, I skim 10% of everything I make and put it in my investment accounts.  I don't care what bills are outstanding, I get paid first.  Works for me so far.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Coupon groceries like a mofo, cook for a week vs. daily.  Have a spending budget for them.

Don't drive it like you stole it.  Found a shorter way to work.

Do my own car maintenance/repair.  Don't have a car payment.  Older cars are cheaper to insure, tax, and title.  

Cut eating out to 0 per month when we figured out we can cook just as well.

Learn how to make something people want to buy.

Heat set to 60 in the winter.  Don't buy any clothes unless they are on sale.  

ETC.

Saving  money is about figuring out how to spend less on everything and not buying everything you want.....just what you need.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Of course as mentioned use coupons.
But since I do electrical work I save all scrape copper and aluminum and sell it as the pile builds up.
Another thing I do is save all pennies and I also place in another container all my dimes and nickels.
Just to show you how much spare change can add up I recently took one of those plastic baby wipes containers that had nickels and dimes in it and they covered the bottom only about a heighth of maybe one inch.
I put them through one of those coin hoppers that of course do charge you a percenetage but the total came out to be $59.65.
Pretty good for just money that was pulled daily out my pocket for a few months.
I told a friend the other day that since all those jars and containers of pennies are getting quite large I must soon cash them in.
I have been saving those damn things since the 1970's.
It will be interesting to see how much I get for them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Hunt and butcher/process all our meat - haven't bought beef in years (we will buy chicken and stock up when it goes on sale for <$1/lb).  Deer, duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit - we eat good all year and I have no idea how much it saves but I would guess normal people spend thousands on meat every year, especially with as high as prices are right now.

ETA: bought a like new chest freezer on craigslist for $50 - buy/store in bulk
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Of course as mentioned use coupons.
But since I do electrical work I save all scrape copper and aluminum and sell it as the pile builds up.
Another thing I do is save all pennies and I also place in another container all my dimes and nickels.
Just to show you how much spare change can add up I recently took one of those plastic baby wipes containers that had nickels and dimes in it and they covered the bottom only about a heighth of maybe one inch.
I put them through one of those coin hoppers that of course do charge you a percenetage but the total came out to be $59.65.
Pretty good for just money that was pulled daily out my pocket for a few months.
I told a friend the other day that since all those jars and containers of pennies are getting quite large I must soon cash them in.
I have been saving those damn things since the 1970's.
It will be interesting to see how much I get for them.
View Quote

Your bank may have those machines and not charge a fee. Of course, they may also have their own coin counters in the back and not charge you a fee either.
Non-members of these banks usually get charged a fee. A few still didn't last time I checked, but it's been awhile.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I fix my own cars and I don't eat out at restaurants very much.  These things alone, are killers for most budgets.

I also moved to get a better/similar job in an area with a lower cost of living, with less tax, less commute, and more freedom. Lots of people refuse to move for fear of falling off the edge of the earth, or for family ties, etc. They end up staying in an area with no jobs or poor paying jobs, and wonder why they have no money.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bring leftovers to work rather than going out to lunch. Stop going to restaurants, theaters, concerts, ball games, and bars. Postpone vacations. Go easy on gifts. Fix stuff yourself.  Buy used cars with cash. Sell stuff you can live without. Don't buy every good deal you come across. You can go broke saving money. Ditch cable. Use cheap internet. Delivering pizzas a few nights a week can net $1,000/month. Thrift stores are your friends. Small sacrifices add up.
View Quote

I have always been curious how you could make money at delivering pizzias when gas is 3.50 a gallon and with the wear on your car factored in. I know friends did it in high school but gas was 1.20 a gallon?
I am open, but do you have details.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have always been curious how you could make money at delivering pizzias when gas is 3.50 a gallon and with the wear on your car factored in. I know friends did it in high school but gas was 1.20 a gallon?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Questions for curiosity: there is also no compensation for wear and tear on your personal vehicle used to deliver (like standard mileage rate)? And does vehicle insurance go up because it is being used for deliveries?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not making money with a car payment and with gas prices, however, they are offsetting the expense a little bit. I will bet that a better vehicle decision would often result in not needing the second job.  Delivering pizza in a new Dodge Charger or a new fullsized pickup doesn't reflect good decision making skills.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

All right. It's a regular hot dog cart in here, huh?

All right, here's how it works: One dollar to look at it, two dollars to touch it, three dollars to watch me touch it...BACK THE FUCK UP, ANTONIO! MY DICK!

My apologies. Five to touch it while I touch my toes, six dollars to touch it while I touch your toe...

Look, I wish I could give you a deal here, but my pimp's a real ball ache, you know?

So it's ten dollars for a BJ, twelve dollars for an HJ, and fifteen for a ZJ.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#46]
It's time!!

FAS
FAZ
UVXY  Last 2 weeks, OH Baby!!!

Some things you have to say, Thanks Obama

For some extra trading capital, neck beard 22 ammo(buy up to Oct 2016, then sell during election), buy Pmags for $8.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#47]
a vaccum sealer is a great investment
as mentioned watch your local sales ads

when porkchops and chicken go on sale for $1 per lb. or less
I stack them deep

this morning it was tbones
at $5 per lb its not a awesome sale but they are really nice quality
going to make a few trips

cost wise it adds up
lets say you go to the store right now and buy all the ingredients for dinner tonight thats roughly $15-$20 for two people
but if you bought it cheap, dinner would run about $5-$6
the wife and I eat well for normally less than $5 for the both of us
thats not even close to eating beans and rice start talking really cheap meals and I can make dinner for a buck or less
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

All right, here's how it works: One dollar to look at it, two dollars to touch it, three dollars to watch me touch it...BACK THE FUCK UP, ANTONIO! MY DICK!

My apologies. Five to touch it while I touch my toes, six dollars to touch it while I touch your toe...

Look, I wish I could give you a deal here, but my pimp's a real ball ache, you know?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I work for more than minimum wage and I don't buy a bunch of shit I don't need.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a ZJ?

Go watch Beerfest.  Dumbest movie you'll ever love, next to Super Troopers... which ironically, is the same guys.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top