Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:15:17 PM EDT
Good for you Bishops!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/13/bishops-say-gays-have-gifts-to-offer-church-positive-aspects-civil-unions/

VATICAN CITY –  Catholic bishops showed unprecedented openness Monday to accepting the real lives of many Catholics today, saying gays had gifts to offer the church and should be accepted and that there were "positive" aspects to a couple living together without being married.

A two-week meeting of bishops on family issues arrived at its halfway point with a document summarizing the closed-door debate so far. No decisions were announced, but the tone of the report was one of almost-revolutionary acceptance, rather than condemnation, with the aim of guiding Catholics toward the ideal of a lasting marriage.

Bishops clearly took into account the views of Pope Francis, whose "Who am I to judge?" comment about gays signaled a new tone of welcome for the church. Their report also reflected the views of ordinary Catholics who, in responses to Vatican questionnaires in the run-up to the synod, rejected church teaching on birth control and homosexuality as outdated and irrelevant.

The bishops said gays had `'gifts and qualities" to offer and asked rhetorically if the church was ready to provide them a welcoming place, "accepting and valuing their sexual orientation without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony."
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The great apostasy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Dig it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was on my mission, we had a General Authority tell us that there would come a time when we would be targeted by everybody... The Government and other churches for saying, "marriage is between a man and a woman and the family is central to Gods plan." He said the government would try to seize church assets and property, and wide swaths of other churches would fully-support the government going-after  churches that preached against homosexuality...

He said it would get as bad against us as it was when the, "kill em all" order was given by Governor Boggs...

He said it would be in our (19 yo missionaries in 1995) lifetimes...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, lets change our religion to fit what man deems right not God  What difference does it make at this point anyways.......
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure the press is accurately reporting what the church said. The press never forgets to give the full story on such things.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Also remarriages.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey, lets change our religion to fit what man deems right not God  What difference does it make at this point anyways.......
View Quote

Yup. Or what GD deems is right.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a lot of interesting shit going on in the Catholic church these days, I'm not sure I like all of it, but I think it's all coming from the right place (a focus on God's love).
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good for you Bishops!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/13/bishops-say-gays-have-gifts-to-offer-church-positive-aspects-civil-unions/

VATICAN CITY –  Catholic bishops showed unprecedented openness Monday to accepting the real lives of many Catholics today, saying gays had gifts to offer the church and should be accepted and that there were "positive" aspects to a couple living together without being married.

A two-week meeting of bishops on family issues arrived at its halfway point with a document summarizing the closed-door debate so far. No decisions were announced, but the tone of the report was one of almost-revolutionary acceptance, rather than condemnation, with the aim of guiding Catholics toward the ideal of a lasting marriage.

Bishops clearly took into account the views of Pope Francis, whose "Who am I to judge?" comment about gays signaled a new tone of welcome for the church. Their report also reflected the views of ordinary Catholics who, in responses to Vatican questionnaires in the run-up to the synod, rejected church teaching on birth control and homosexuality as outdated and irrelevant.

The bishops said gays had `'gifts and qualities" to offer and asked rhetorically if the church was ready to provide them a welcoming place, "accepting and valuing their sexual orientation without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony."
View Quote

They feel guilty because of their pederasty and the covering up of said pederasty..
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It is not our place to judge but I just read this early this week.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. (?Romans? ?1?:?24-31? NIV)Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. (?Romans? ?1?:?24-31? NIV)

BTW I am not a biblical expert.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've been doing that since the Vatican 2 council. Quite sad really....
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
YEP

Bible be damned, just obey Gov 3.16 or else

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They feel guilty because of their pederasty and the covering up of said pederasty..
View Quote

"Bishops clearly took into account the views of Pope Francis, whose "Who am I to judge?" comment about gays signaled a new tone of welcome for the church."

I think the Pope's view was more of a factor than guilt.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
This approach destroys grace in souls."
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There's a lot of interesting shit going on in the Catholic church these days, I'm not sure I like all of it, but I think it's all coming from the right place (a focus on God's love).
View Quote

God is Holy first.....Love is an attribute of God but you are best to not mistake His mercy, and take it for granted.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#18]
If they make this turn without even allowing priests to get married and the huge pile of crap they hold over you to get married and divorced in the church, then they have truly lost their way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]
They will do anything to keep people going in and donating to the plate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm sure the press is accurately reporting what the church said. The press never forgets to give the full story on such things.
View Quote

This.  Most of the headlines I've read concerning the current pope are very badly slanted.  I wouldn't expect any different in this article.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh fo'sho.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The great apostasy.
View Quote

Something...whore of all the earth...something...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They will do anything to keep people going in and donating to the plate.
View Quote

Ding ding ding.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, good for them?  You mean good they're throwing out whatever they like to twist their religion into what the world thinks it should be?  Good for them?  I think you mean shame on them for having no backbone and selling out their religion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The great apostasy.
View Quote

The Vatican being pc is NON-sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If they make this turn without even allowing priests to get married and the huge pile of crap they hold over you to get married and divorced in the church, then they have truly lost their way.
View Quote
That's addressed.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#27]
So far nothing really new.  Catholic Church has had gay priests for centuries.  The issue is not having same sex attraction and has never been.  The issue is sex outside of marriage - and I don't think that that is being revisited for one second.

--

As for the teachings of contraception - That was discussed heavily once before, and the majority of the Biships came out in favor of accepting the pill and pressured the Holy See - and were told their theology was wrong.

--

There already is some wiggle room on the remarriage w/o annulment.  It is pretty limited.  I am interested to see what comes of this.  The current wiggle room exists via 3 loopholes:  The Pauline Privilege, the Peterine Privilege, and living as brother and sister.  The first 2 are about as rare as hen's teeth.  But the 3rd could be opened up - and possibly should be opened up.  It could leave a crack big enough to accept sexless homosexual unions (which supposedly have also been occasionally acceptable in the past).
The Pauline Privilege allows for the dissolution of a marriage between 2 unbaptized so that one can enter the Church (unequally yoked).

The Petrine Privilege allows for the dissolution of a marriage between a person and an unbaptized so they can enter into a marriage with a baptized (where one is a practicing Catholic).

There are other issues with both - and they are almost never invoked - annulment is the preferred and attempted first in pretty much all cases.  
The concept between both is that marriage to an unbaptized is less important than eternity.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#28]
So the Catholic church doesn't understand Biblical doctrine.  Why is this news?  It's only be going on for centuries.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#29]
so please elaborate how Catholics don't understand the Bible..
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Accepting them like sinners is like all the rest of us our is the Christian way, but letting people sin in the church house, accommodating that sin, and legitimizing before the masses is not Christian. Nobody is flashing their heroine needles during Sunday morning worship, so why flash around that you are homosexual to the church. People fight sinful urges all the time that are just as strong as sexual desire. Fighting off the urge for a cigarette or other addiction is not much different.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Guys, you need to get a clue on how synods work... this isn't a senate. The way things work is.... synods are gathered to present ideas.... this synod is part 1.

Part 2 is next year. Then the Pope writes a final document where he decides what to do about things.... that's in 2016.

So all the trial balloons in the world are not necessarily a guarantee of changes afoot. So this means both 'don't panic' and 'don't get your hopes up'.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#33]
That's not really much different from what already exists in the catechism.

Article also says bishops are listening to lay people who want artificial birth control. Actual document confirms church teaching on birth control. Also Christ and the apostles always taught that the secular world needed to be changed by the church not the other way around.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#34]
The Catholic Church has left me.

I am very sad.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't wait for Rick Santorum's head to explode.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Good. inb4 more homophobes
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Guys, you need to get a clue on how synods work... this isn't a senate. The way things work is.... synods are gathered to present ideas.... this synod is part 1.

Part 2 is next year. Then the Pope writes a final document where he decides what to do about things.... that's in 2016.

So all the trial balloons in the world are not necessarily a guarantee of changes afoot. So this means both 'don't panic' and 'don't get your hopes up'.
View Quote

They don't want a clue.  People want to have their opinions - good, bad, or indifferent - reinforced.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP, good for them?  You mean good they're throwing out whatever they like to twist their religion into what the world thinks it should be?  Good for them?  I think you mean shame on them for having no backbone and selling out their religion.
View Quote

Nope, I meant exactly what I said. The world doesn't need any more homophobes, especially in the pulpit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I am sexually attracted to women - most of who I am not married, but an am not having sex with.  To that degree - I should be just as guilty as a homosexual who is attracted to members of his/her own sex, who they are not married to but not having sex with.

The Church is not about to condone gay Marriage.  They will very likely accept civil union to the extent, and when it is a better solution than it's absence.  I think a few years ago a Pope made a comment about a rapist and a condom.  Media said that the Church was accepting condoms.  All the Pope said is a rapist using a condom is better than a rapist not using one - the sin of the rape was the same, but at least the rapist was causing less damage by preventing the spread of disease.  

Church teaching is that using artificial birth control is not allowed within the marital union - it does not actually apply to sex outside of the marital union (rape or adultery).  To that extent, convents in high rape areas (missions in Africa) have requested and gotten permission for nuns to be on the pill.  fwiw - I don't know how current that is anymore.  I have heard priests explain that as simply self defense.  Up unto fertilization, a woman has the right to do defend herself against not only the rapist, but his sperm as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll wait to see what they say when they are finished, and I'll get the news from someplace other than a bunch of Catholic-haters...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nope, I meant exactly what I said. The world doesn't need any more homophobes, especially in the pulpit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all it means is that the church will now get money from gays. thats what its all about right, anyone can buy a seat on the train but they may not like the direction it goes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Strange, I am rather familiar with the bible and it does not mention shunning homosexuals, my take away is that we are to love them.

Maybe I am misreading it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

God is Holy first.....Love is an attribute of God but you are best to not mistake His mercy, and take it for granted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about we leave what god intends, to god, and not try to put words in his mouth?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Strange, I am rather familiar with the bible and it does not mention shunning homosexuals, my take away is that we are to love them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Love them by supporting/accepting their sinful lifestyle, or love them by telling them the truth about their sinful lifestyle?

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They don't want a clue.  People want to have their opinions - good, bad, or indifferent - reinforced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth around here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Love them by supporting/accepting their sinful lifestyle, or love them by telling them the truth about their sinful lifestyle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have any truth about their lifestyle and I most certainly do not know what is in god's mind about their lifestyle, I think, I will leave it up to god to judge them.  That simply is not my place.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I don't have any truth about their lifestyle and I most certainly do not know what is in god's mind about their lifestyle, I think, I will leave it up to god to judge them.  That simply is not my place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spoken like a true relativist. "There is no sin. No right or wrong. Who am I to judge?"

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Spoken like a true relativist. "There is no sin. No right or wrong. Who am I to judge?"

View Quote

Then just get yourself a big bag of stones and start chucking.

What size rock for Homos?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top