Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2014 4:18:31 AM EDT
Yeah so I work there and I found out yesterday that they filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Here is the funny thing. I have been watching this happen and I had even mentioned that I thought that was how it was going to end up to a few of my peers ( I am not management). For OPSEC reasons I cant really say too much about what I actually do there since there is a NDA in place and the place is also considered a foreign trade zone as well. (Google that one too) Anyway, I have been watching them not be able to manage the business and at some point several months back it seemed to me that they started lying to everyone that works there and it almost appears that they were running the place into the ground. So as far as I know at this moment I still have a job since all the rest of my crew is working and I am on my days off. But this whole thing has everyone really worked up now. But when I go in tomorrow I am going to go do what I am supposed to do and watch and see what happens. I cant even begin to explain the weirdness levels that have taken place there and the types of mismanagement that I have witnessed. All I can say is that I am going to ride this out and see what happens until they either show me the door or someone else (Apple or Corning) take things up. Anyway I just needed to unload that. Comments and questions are welcome.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to pry to deeply, but you work for a company that manufactures artificial sapphire?  That's pretty cool, I won't buy a watch without a sapphire crystal and wish it was an option on phones.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Soooooooo is this company publicly traded? What's the name?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

GT Advanced
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Basically lost all it's value very quickly when Apple announced they weren't actually using it in large quanities. Then when the company announced they were going to file for bankrupcy the stock basically almost became worthless and a few days prior had a capitalization of over a billion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry to hear that. I know a couple of people that work there too. I work at Intel and we had a few people jump ship over there. Your comment about mismanaged falls in line with what I have heard from everyone else. It almost seems as if top management wanted it to fail. I hope you can keep your job.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Apple likes to have options with suppliers.  If the rumors are true, certain goals were not met with the Sapphire production and they went with plan b (Corning) for the iPhone 6.  Apple is a supply chain machine and is unlikely screwed in this situation.  I bet they own a lot of the production equipment you are working with.  They will protect their interested in the bankruptcy, not your's.  If your management is jerking them around, as I suspect, they are dead to Apple and that spells doom for the company.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not to pry to deeply, but you work for a company that manufactures artificial sapphire?  That's pretty cool, I won't buy a watch without a sapphire crystal and wish it was an option on phones.
View Quote

Yeah its a pretty neat process and it was suppose to be on the Iphone 6 and the Iwatch. but that hasnt happened the way it was promised.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am sure if you google apple and sapphire company you will find it. Test your google-fu!. The risk of me discussing too much is pretty high. Once you find out the name you can see what happened.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Basically lost all it's value very quickly when Apple announced they weren't actually using it in large quanities. Then when the company announced they were going to file for bankrupcy the stock basically almost became worthless and a few days prior had a capitalization of over a billion.
View Quote

Yep that is exactly what happened. And just so you know I had a few conversations with people in the know and they more or less told me that if you want to make money to stay away fromt heir stock as it is very volatile.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Apple likes to have options with suppliers.  If the rumors are true, certain goals were not met with the Sapphire production and they went with plan b (Corning) for the iPhone 6.  Apple is a supply chain machine and is unlikely screwed in this situation.  I bet they own a lot of the production equipment you are working with.  They will protect their interested in the bankruptcy, not your's.  If your management is jerking them around, as I suspect, they are dead to Apple and that spells doom for the company.
View Quote

Yeah I had no illusions about apple being in a bind over this other than all the money that they invested in the place.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm sorry to hear that. I know a couple of people that work there too. I work at Intel and we had a few people jump ship over there. Your comment about mismanaged falls in line with what I have heard from everyone else. It almost seems as if top management wanted it to fail. I hope you can keep your job.
View Quote

Yeah they have done some pretty questionable things and when the suggestion to correct it has come up from various people was mentioned they were nodded at and then ignored. So far I still have a job. The temps that they had there? Well not so much. There were a lot of promises made and I happen to think that there is still something going on still as we discuss this. There is more ugliness to be found I am sure. But there was a lot of mismanagement of personnel and funds it would seem. And there is a high replacement rate of certain parts since they decided to "fix" things to run better. Which is interesting because they havent run the machines long enough to have data to support ANY changes to that machinery yet. In fact they never had control of their process to speak of.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh yeah and the "company" in question was never a manufacturer of materials like this. They supplied all the equipment to produce crystals but never ran this type of business and it shows. But they were in over their heads from the word go when they decided to do this on their own and not get people into this what had experience in high volume high quality manufacturing. Their main way of doing things is to threaten to walk people out and work them under fear of termination for not doing things their way. Which may be normal, but when their way doesnt make any sense and changes every day, you never know that what you do from day to day is good or even something you could lose your job over or not. But yeah their favorite thing is to tell people that they are going to fire people for all different reasons and make it seem that they would rather get rid of people than actually train them. So from that standpoint their management practices suck. And when they have something to deal with they freak everyone out and make a huge change to things on ALL of the machines and never really know whether it will be successful or not because they dont have much data to back up their changes. And to top that off they allow changes to happen by anyone that happens to think that they have a better idea. It just doesnt make any sense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#14]
So, why didn't Apple go with you guys? You couldn't make production or what?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Good for owners of GLW, right?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

GT Advanced
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GT Advanced

Yeah, it's kind of a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#17]
There was a big Yahoo News article on this last night - in case anyone wants to read it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:07:35 AM EDT
[#18]
They had way too many people making adjustments to machines while they were running that had no real experience in growing this stuff. And they never had enough data to know how these things behave so they chased their tails. Also these weren't set up like the original ones they said worked and as a result they got different results with them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:25:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interestingly enough, apple did say they were going to use it in the iwatch, right?  I suspect that's going to sell well, and probably will bring value to the company, just not next week as they're not going to release that for several months yet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interestingly enough, apple did say they were going to use it in the iwatch, right?  I suspect that's going to sell well, and probably will bring value to the company, just not next week as they're not going to release that for several months yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what I keep hearing and I am hoping that someone will do something right about this but I dont know for sure. I know we have had a lot of unfamiliar people there in the last few days including some security types.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#21]
So now I am reading that not only did the CEO sell off a ton of stock each time just before the GT stock took a drop but the COO did that as well. It seems that there are some pretty crooked things that are coming up now that there is a this whole chapter 11 thing happening. I also just read that Apple is planning on contesting the bankruptcy filing now as well. So it looks like it is going to be a really interesting ride. For the time being, I am still employed there. We will see if their payroll check clears though on Thursday.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd be looking for a new job pronto.

That place is full of fuck, and dildos.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a tip from a guy who worked at a start up that went bust after 3 years . take any vacation , sick and comp time they owe you NOW !!!!! also convert your check to paper from direct deposit . trust me on this Our last checks were deposited on Friday and removed Monday when they did not pay the payroll company . If I had a paper check I would have gotten cash
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here is a tip from a guy who worked at a start up that went bust after 3 years . take any vacation , sick and comp time they owe you NOW !!!!! also convert your check to paper from direct deposit . trust me on this Our last checks were deposited on Friday and removed Monday when they did not pay the payroll company . If I had a paper check I would have gotten cash
View Quote

Until the check bounced.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's solid advice.

Things are going to get real grim, real quick.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Good luck man, and if she is sinking don't be the last rat off.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I work at Intel and we had a few people jump ship over there.http://zxc9.com/UNe201
View Quote

Yeah we have kind of lot of them that I work with now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd be looking for a new job pronto.

That place is full of fuck, and dildos.
View Quote

Yeah I am lining one up since it started. And the guy that I work for can eat a bag of dicks. Fucking spineless piece of shit. I hate working for someone that isnt really running things and shits his pants whenever management looks at him crosseyed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good info. I will try to get that in the works. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good luck man, and if she is sinking don't be the last rat off.
View Quote

Not the last but I am going to make sure I can keep my feet dry before I hop off that sinking ship
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Not looking good.

GT Advanced to Eliminate 727 jobs at Mesa, Arizona Plant:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/16/gt-advanced-to-eliminate-727-jobs/

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not looking good.

GT Advanced to Eliminate 727 jobs at Mesa, Arizona Plant:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/16/gt-advanced-to-eliminate-727-jobs/

View Quote

Yeah I heard that rumor as well. Well it isn't a rumor. They have been powering down idle machines all today and all this evening. Myself and several of the other guys have decided to take as much of our earned sick and vacation time here since when they let us go they dont have the clearance for funds to pay those earned hours out. They gave us all a copy of the "WARN" act that seems to state that they are giving us a 60 day notice of termination, that when they lay us off will pay us for the remaining 60 days and keep health insurance active until the end. So we will see what happens. But I was reading some threads on Yahoo finance under the company ticker and they have some interesting things to say. Funny thing is that some of the people are actually defending them as a company and telling an inaccurate story of how the customer ruined the company that simply isn't true. So anyway I should know more tomorrow when I get to work. I have a very funny feeling that I wont be there for very long since they are turning equipment off as we speak. Fortunately I have a exit plan for employment so hopefully it will work out as I hope. There is still talk of another company coming in under the customer and taking this over and we have had people from various other companies already have a look at the operation so we will see. Rumor has it that when the smoke clears they doors will open and they will have someone that actually knows what they are doing running the place and that they will recall the personnel. So we will see how that goes. It sounds to me like the company as a company is going to be finished when this is all over. It would seem that they lied to the wrong company.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Until the check bounced.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Until the check bounced.

Not if you cash it at their bank.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until the check bounced.

Like we can all drive to AZ to cash a check...

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#36]
You know the funny thing about this is that even with all of this stuff going on they are still installing machinery in some of the areas even though they arent going to be turned on or even tested and qualified.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I live here in AZ and I absolutely hate to go to the banks. Especially at this time of year with all of the winter visitors here. Banks and costco become nearly unbearable. I have a contest with my friends to find the winter visitor that buys the most alcohol in one single trip to costco.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plenty of clues left in the OP

There are only a handful of outfits that do this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats exactly right! And the publicly traded part....not so much anymore...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#40]
So I go in today and it doesnt look like there is a whole lot going on. But I know today is supposed to be the day and what not. So about 20 minutes later they call the entire night shift into a meeting and they lay all of us off all at once. Yeah I know it sucks but they are also going to continue to pay us until mid December and health benefits will be carried until the beginning of the year. Plus I have a couple of jobs already lined up  prior to this so I wasnt totally unprepared. But anyway one of the guys that is being investigated for insider trading in this whole thing was there in our meeting to see us off. He is lucky nobody had anything at him. Oh yeah and they had local PD there for us as well. And the guy that was supposed to be the boss and never really was walked by put his head down and darted out. Never came to say good bye, no screw you, no nothing. Just like he has always been, a spineless piece of shit. So me and the crew invaded the local sports bar and had a couple before we all parted ways and are going to take a little time and then hit the streets and look for new things I guess.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
they are also going to continue to pay us until mid December and health benefits will be carried until the beginning of the year.
View Quote

I hope they follow through on what they promised you - but I wouldn't count on it.

At this point, they have absolutely nothing to lose by lying to you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#42]
No they dont. And to this point they have lied to everyone involved.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I know people who bought stock in your company...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Not my company.
I am so sorry that they did that. I never did because I saw how things were being run and I saw the junk that was being produced. And there was a LOT of junk that was made.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I had read this story earlier today... sorry to hear.
Mesa woman's dream job at Apple factory lasts one day

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the upbeat atmosphere to the lucrative salary, Mary Arave was certain she had found her dream job as a cost accountant at an Apple supplier's high-tech factory in Mesa.

The people at GT Advanced Technologies were so nice, as was the massive building where the company was to manufacture ultra-hard sapphire glass for Apple products like iPhones. The huge corridors were clean, and the cafeteria looked tasty. Employees seemed genuinely happy.

For the 66-year-old working widow, the dream lasted just 8.5 hours.

That is a sad story.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Apple bought out GT for pennies on the dollar and use the facility to manufacture sapphire under new management, and keep a lot of the existing employees.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is a sad story.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Apple bought out GT for pennies on the dollar and use the facility to manufacture sapphire under new management, and keep a lot of the existing employees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the upbeat atmosphere to the lucrative salary, Mary Arave was certain she had found her dream job as a cost accountant at an Apple supplier's high-tech factory in Mesa.

The people at GT Advanced Technologies were so nice, as was the massive building where the company was to manufacture ultra-hard sapphire glass for Apple products like iPhones. The huge corridors were clean, and the cafeteria looked tasty. Employees seemed genuinely happy.

For the 66-year-old working widow, the dream lasted just 8.5 hours.

That is what we thought might happen but we are finding out that all of the machinery is being sold off out of the factory to pay off the debt that they owe them. SO I dont think that will be happening unfortunately unless some fairly drastic things happen in the very near future.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah I caught that. There is also an article I read very recently that stated that after the settlement is complete that GT will never be in the sapphire business again and that they will only be allowed to sell furnaces to other manufacturers that make sapphire but they will be effectively out of the sapphire business.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top