User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is WYOMING!!!!!!!!!

We have "heros" depicted on other walls in the 2D classroom.   I wanted a real hero, not just The Master Chief, and a pirate that walked funny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You teach at a public school and got away with painting a tier one operator with an AR on your classroom wall?????????

This is WYOMING!!!!!!!!!

We have "heros" depicted on other walls in the 2D classroom.   I wanted a real hero, not just The Master Chief, and a pirate that walked funny.

Well done sir.  ??
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, well I just sent an email to the robotics teacher asking for help with the idea of LEDs that would slowly brighten along the spine, then end with a snort of air/smoke out of the snout, triggered by someone walking under the snout.

We will see what she says.  I offered to pay for everything, but I know they are very busy right now.  They are getting close to their regional and national competitions.

Hopefully she will get on board.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh man! This is getting EPIC!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok, well I just sent an email to the robotics teacher asking for help with the idea of LEDs that would slowly brighten along the spine, then end with a snort of air/smoke out of the snout, triggered by someone walking under the snout.

We will see what she says.  I offered to pay for everything, but I know they are very busy right now.  They are getting close to their regional and national competitions.

View Quote

The lights I really don't think would be to hard, even tying them into a motion detector shouldn't be difficult. The puff of air and smoke might be where the difficulty lays. I think I would shoot for lights and sound.

Smoke machines require a liquid to create and a jet of air would require a fan or a compressor.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The lights I really don't think would be to hard, even tying them into a motion detector shouldn't be difficult. The puff of air and smoke might be where the difficulty lays. I think I would shoot for lights and sound.

Smoke machines require a liquid to create and a jet of air would require a fan or a compressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if the puff of air was just from a compressed tank that we could refill?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mr. Goodtimes identified! I can tell by the keyring
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll give him credit..... He was the one who suggested we lower it the first time.  I would have been afraid to ask, but he offered, and made it happen.  

He was pretty good to work with the last couple days.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Ok, well I just sent an email to the robotics teacher asking for help with the idea of LEDs that would slowly brighten along the spine, then end with a snort of air/smoke out of the snout, triggered by someone walking under the snout.

No smoke though...  Would startle the hell outta the unknowing, however.  1st day in the lunch room, you hear a snort, get cold air blown on you from something powerful, look up, and there's a giant dragon...  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should be more do able. Depending on size of tank and how often you feel like refilling it you won't get a lot of shots though. I am thinking the best you're going to get without weight and size becoming an issue is something like a tank for a paint ball gun. While those provide lots of shots for paint balls I'm not sure how many feelable shots you are going to get out of a dragon. Mostly because I'm not sure how long you would have to make each shot for it to be felt. It would also make the build more complicated.

For the lights you would really just need a pretty simple circuit especially if you are using L.E.D.s hooked up to a motion detector to turn them on. Adding in a small mp3 player and speaker to it wouldn't complicate things much could have it roar and light up when someone walks under.

For the air gun build you would need the lights and motion detector set up still, but you would also need the tank and a valve that can be activated electronically. That can open and close quick enough that you don't dump the whole tank at once since hoisting a compressor up there would be a pain.

Maybe you could rig up one of those small refill your tire compressors, but it would still be noisy.

I really hope I'm not crushing some kids dreams, because I love the projects you and your class do and wish I had a teacher like you for art class. I just want to give you an idea of what you might need.

If you go with just lights I think that's something you and your class can do on your own there are lots of guides for working with L.E.D on the world wide web, and you can probably find something for the sound as well so your class could hopefully do those without having to involve anyone else.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Robotics teacher says it sounds like a great idea, so I'll talk more with her on Tues and see where that goes.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Robotics teacher says it sounds like a great idea, so I'll talk more with her on Tues and see where that goes.  
View Quote

Awesome
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Still so much win in this thread, awesome work sir!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#13]
For the compressed air, how far can you run the air hose from?  If there's some mechanical closet somewhere, you can stash a small air compressor, w/ a couple of large tanks ganged, and run an air hose a considerable distance.  The large tanks will give you the volume you need, the small air compressor has 23 hours to fill the tanks by the next lunchtime.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For the compressed air, how far can you run the air hose from?  If there's some mechanical closet somewhere, you can stash a small air compressor, w/ a couple of large tanks ganged, and run an air hose a considerable distance.  The large tanks will give you the volume you need, the small air compressor has 23 hours to fill the tanks by the next lunchtime.
View Quote

very few small compressors are 100% duty rated
and a small compressor trying to fill a large volume even at a lower psi would have to work itself to death and get very hot doing it
on the flipside a compressor capable of volume would be A: large B: loud or C: not loud but expensive

a easier option would be a nitrogen bottle it would be capable of providing short low psi bursts for a long time
however the school would have to sign off on the storage of a high psi bottle being stored at the school
for no other reason than "cool dragon breath"

either way its $$$ being thrown at a $ build
awesome but not feasible
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I think if robotics club can do like LED glowing eyes and a motion-activated speaker, that would be cool.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think if robotics club can do like LED glowing eyes and a motion-activated speaker, that would be cool.
View Quote

And if it was programmed to go off when no one was supposed to be wandering the halls...
I'm just sayin'....

[Dispatch] Squad 51, Squad 51, Possible 816 in progress, Really Cool School, Hallway 8. See the man.
[Squad 51] Dispatch, did they forget to turn off the dragon, again?!
[Dispatch] Confirmed, Squad 51. Grandparents Day will never be the same. Time out: 3:17.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Update 2/18

Still waiting for the custodian to come back from vacation.  

To pass the time, and add to my stress level, we decided to flesh both our mountain lion and river otter.    There is about 15 man hours invested in each of these today to get them all fleshed out, the facial features turned, and hung up to dry.  

20150218_145501 by guns762, on Flickr" />

For the tail, the students made a stencil for the tail, and are drawing out each individual piece to complete the main tail.    Next, they will start each of the small tail spikes that will fit like ribs along the tail.  The stencil allows them to rotate it around the inside shape of the tail, and retain the basic shape.  They have been modifying each slightly as they go.  

20150218_145454 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like it is giving cowboy a big ole cute; "I love you cowboy"!!!

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  Update 2/18

Still waiting for the custodian to come back from vacation.  

To pass the time, and add to my stress level, we decided to flesh both our mountain lion and river otter.    There is about 15 man hours invested in each of these today to get them all fleshed out, the facial features turned, and hung up to dry.  

http://<a href=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/16548523366_28325f6d3c_b.jpg</a>20150218_145501 by guns762, on Flickr" />

For the tail, the students made a stencil for the tail, and are drawing out each individual piece to complete the main tail.    Next, they will start each of the small tail spikes that will fit like ribs along the tail.  The stencil allows them to rotate it around the inside shape of the tail, and retain the basic shape.  They have been modifying each slightly as they go.  

http://<a href=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7370/16574534225_5f5df2fc59_b.jpg</a>20150218_145454 by guns762, on Flickr" />
View Quote

If the rear parts were connected w/ cables, and the cables were connected to opposing hydraulic rams, when the dragon snorts, the tail could shake....
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]
For the puff of air, look into a vortex cannon design.  These can make a felt pulse across a large room.  You might want to get the physics teacher involved in this one too.  It makes for a great physics demonstration.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Update 2/27
Students got after the tail today.  They got it cut out and all of the tail ribs patterns cut out.

20150227_131159 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Always looking to get in the pictures.......

20150227_131148 by guns762, on Flickr" />

These guys didn't have time for pictures, they cut out most of the tail today in less than an hour.

20150227_141206 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Tail rib patterns getting cut out.  The tail will have spines on the end, that is the reason for the longer spines on some of the patterns.

20150227_131217 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150227_141227 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The ribs all laid out for cutting next week.

20150227_141215 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Update 3/3

We were blessed to use the lift today for a few short minutes.   We got the wings installed, and some of the ribs up.   Hopefully, Friday, we will  be able to install the front legs.

20150303_085033 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150303_085025 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150303_085002 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150303_084933 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150303_084914 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Dumb question, but are the wings backwards?

VS

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#25]
It's beautiful, guns.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Nope, but it looks that way because of the angle.  We are going to rotate them forward.  Hopefully before Friday.    They need about 45 degrees forward.

We also think it will make them look a little bigger.  There is a little optical illusion going on with the closeness of the head and having the wings so high.  It should help to have the wing tips much lower and show more of the wing surface.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Gotcha. I figured it was something like that.

Looking good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
You are great person
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Your threads rule!

IN
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gotcha. I figured it was something like that.

Looking good.
View Quote

If you look close, the angle on the bones is the same.  We just have the wings "up" like he's taking off, or coming in for a landing.  We wanted to keep him more compact, so he would fit in the space.  We followed a nice drawing of a skeleton and I said the same when I first saw the layout, but my students quickly pointed out I was wrong.

When we skin a duck tomorrow I'll try to get a shot of the wing structure.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Part of it also might be how tattered you guys made the wings, I think if there was more material heading the correct direction it would help.

All in all though it's looking great.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes! Dude guns pretty soon you will run outta room in that school man.. If that happens I call the Vikings ship...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Update 3/6

Tail section coming along.   More assembly required.   Custodian was apparently too busy today to help us change the wings.  
20150306_102752 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes! Dude guns pretty soon you will run outta room in that school man.. If that happens I call the Vikings ship...
View Quote

We could put it in your living room, and sit in it while we watch "Vikings".     I doubt your wife would be very fond of the idea, though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Update 3/11

My youngest son putting on a few pieces this morning.   The tail is now all ready to install.  I was told today we would get to use the lift.   Hasn't happened yet.  

20150311_071123 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150311_091058 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Second update today...

A little set back.  We moved the angle of the wings, but it didn't make it look any better, so the wings came down today and we are widening the angle at the elbow.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Can I please come to your school and pose as a student?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Update #3 today...

Wings look good.....and HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I never did anything this neat in school. You suck.

Good job.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Update #3 today...

View Quote

Now we're going to need new pics
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update #3 today...

I've got some, but I'll have to upload them a little later.   They aren't up on the dragon yet, just in the work room.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Update 3/11 #4
Here, you can see my student working on installing some wire that will help fill the wing material at the back of the wings.  You can also see the radical angle we now have at the elbow of the wing.   Hopefully when they areally all stretched out above the body, they look better than they were.

20150311_125608 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150311_125624 by guns762, on Flickr" />

We drilled a hole all the way through the beam in three places.  Then with the wire all the way through, we wrapped it around a screw set halfway into the bram, an inch away from the hole.  The wire is wrapped around the screw, and then the screw is seated down as far as it will go, clenching the wire in. Place and not allowing it to move or twist.  The students then sculpted the way they wanted the wire to hold the material out.

20150311_131026 by guns762, on Flickr" />

One wing stretched out

20150311_145704 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Team two doing the same as team one, following their lead.

20150311_145722 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The two wings getting matched up for angles.

20150311_151130 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a class at the end of the day that I call my "Diva" class.    You will probably fit right in.

I love that class, but damn do they know how to push my buttons,  or just plain need my constant attention.  I feel like I was run over by a truck almost every day after that bunch of girls.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Wings already look better, but they are going to look great up there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Wings are back up......

Good thing they aren't any longer.    They touch on one end, and about 1/2 inch from the other.   We had to make a minor adjustment on the angle of the one touching so it would fit.

Pictures later.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Tail is on, as are the tail ribs.  It was all a very tight fit.  His tail is up against the back wall.

Pictures later
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Many of us are thinking this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many of us are thinking this.

Field trip!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have a class at the end of the day that I call my "Diva" class.    You will probably fit right in.

I love that class, but damn do they know how to push my buttons,  or just plain need my constant attention.  I feel like I was run over by a truck almost every day after that bunch of girls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel.. insulted.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Update 3/17

Ok, time for photos......

First, it's been a busy week for my taxidermy classes.  
</a>20150316_130215 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a>20150316_130203 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Mountain Lion body coming together....
</a>20150316_130151 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The perspective of the head still makes them look smaller than they should, but this is going to be the final look.  
</a>20150317_103409 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Custodian getting the ceiling tiles replaced.  It's a long way up there.
</a>20150317_103346 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The dragon touches the wall at the tail, and the wings.  
</a>20150317_111820 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a>20150317_111830 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150317_103331 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top