Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Slight thread drift...

Which government office/agency/branch records and analyzes how the spreading of this news story travels via the various mediums especially the internet?

Does such government office have the ability to model or predict at which point Americans are adequately distracted?

Nevet let a good crisis go to waste...right?

So is the crisis the herpy derpy hyped up news and social networking clamor?

Or is it the actual patient with ebola?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slight thread drift...

Which government office/agency/branch records and analyzes how the spreading of this news story travels via the various mediums especially the internet?

Does such government office have the ability to model or predict at which point Americans are adequately distracted?

View Quote

google,
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Slight thread drift...

View Quote

The several hundred gov't agencies that would be tasked with this, are probably too busy swimming in gigantic toilet bowl of bureaucracy filled with the turds of political czars, and the paperwork they wiped their ass with.

So, probably not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Flu is endemic in human and bird populations.  It kills between 250,000 and 500,000 people, worldwide, per year.  It kills mainly the young and the old (people with poor immune systems).

We are still in the early stages of the ebola outbreak.  CDC is projecting 1,000,000 infections in Africa by January.  70% of those people will die or 700,000.  And that's just through January.

If this becomes endemic in human populations, then it's going to be a great culling of the herd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Flu is one mutation away from being the next plague as with a lot of other diseases.  Nobody has a spaz attack every year come flu time.

Flu doesn't have a 70% mortality rate.

I didn't say mortality rate did I.  I said deaths...

Flu is endemic in human and bird populations.  It kills between 250,000 and 500,000 people, worldwide, per year.  It kills mainly the young and the old (people with poor immune systems).

We are still in the early stages of the ebola outbreak.  CDC is projecting 1,000,000 infections in Africa by January.  70% of those people will die or 700,000.  And that's just through January.

If this becomes endemic in human populations, then it's going to be a great culling of the herd.

The 1.4 million estimate was based on "worse case scenarios" in computer modeling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/health/ebola-cases-could-reach-14-million-in-4-months-cdc-estimates.html?_r=0

Results would be far worse if the exact same parameters used in the modeling were given to the flu.

Now let's examine the the civilized world compared to the backwards shit hole that is Africa for the most part.

We don't drink poop water, we don't eat our dead, we have basic food safety handling guidelines, we have a modern medical system, and the list goes on.

A really good comparison is cholera out breaks.  A valid concern in backwards shit holes...not so much in the civilized world.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Some more info.

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/196/Supplement_2/S142.full

"As indicated by RT-PCR and ELISA antigen results from blood (data not shown), the shedding of EBOV in saliva corresponded almost exactly to the period of viremia, with the last positive saliva specimen noted at day 8 after disease onset."

Basically, if it's in your blood, it's in your saliva.  Which means you can be transmitting the virus even if you aren't showing gross symptoms of ebola infection (fever, severe headache, muscle pain, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, bruising).
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The 1.4 million estimate was based on "worse case scenarios" in computer modeling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/health/ebola-cases-could-reach-14-million-in-4-months-cdc-estimates.html?_r=0

Results would be far worse if the exact same parameters used in the modeling were given to the flu.

Now let's examine the the civilized world compared to the backwards shit hole that is Africa for the most part.

We don't drink poop water, we don't eat our dead, we have basic food safety handling guidelines, we have a modern medical system, and the list goes on.

A really good comparison is cholera out breaks.  A valid concern in backwards shit holes...not so much in the civilized world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Flu is one mutation away from being the next plague as with a lot of other diseases.  Nobody has a spaz attack every year come flu time.

Flu doesn't have a 70% mortality rate.

I didn't say mortality rate did I.  I said deaths...

Cholera is spread through contaminated water - it's easy to shut down that vector with basic sanitation.  Not a good comparison.  Ebola is spread person to person.  It's not as infectious as the common cold or influenza, but it's more infectious than other blood born illnesses.  It is transmitted through saliva, and at least one study has shown that the virus is detectable in the saliva as soon as it's detectable in the blood - which can happen before a person is symptomatic.  So something as kissing your child or your infected child sneezing or coughing around you can end up being a death sentence.

The fact that ebola is here is one thing.  The fact that we are not following any real pandemic control measures to nip this in the bud is worrying me.  His whole family should be quarantined - and isolated - and not on a voluntary wait and see basis.  But we aren't doing this, so I have no doubt that this cluster of 1 is going to be a cluster of 5 real soon, and then a cluster of 25 soon after, and a month from now we'll be talking about best and worst case projections for the US instead of talking about Liberia.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Information Control says this is no big deal.
View Quote

time for a comedic distraction break then.  how about a Monty Pythonesque variation of the Lumberjack song.

(And now for something pathetically indifferent!)

I'm Barack the commie
And I'm O.K.
I sleep all night
And I golf all day.

It's never my fault.
I ride Air Force 1.
I skip intel briefings.
On Wednesdays, it's celebrity donor time.
I have a Wookie for a beard.

(chorus)
He's Barack the commie
And he's not O.K.
Because he sleeps all night
And he golfs all day.

Anyone want to add a verse?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cholera is spread through contaminated water - it's easy to shut down that vector with basic sanitation.  Not a good comparison.  Ebola is spread person to person.  It's not as infectious as the common cold or influenza, but it's more infectious than other blood born illnesses.  It is transmitted through saliva, and at least one study has shown that the virus is detectable in the saliva as soon as it's detectable in the blood - which can happen before a person is symptomatic.  So something as kissing your child or your infected child sneezing or coughing around you can end up being a death sentence.

The fact that ebola is here is one thing.  The fact that we are not following any real pandemic control measures to nip this in the bud is worrying me.  His whole family should be quarantined - and isolated - and not on a voluntary wait and see basis.  But we aren't doing this, so I have no doubt that this cluster of 1 is going to be a cluster of 5 real soon, and then a cluster of 25 soon after, and a month from now we'll be talking about best and worst case projections for the US instead of talking about Liberia.
View Quote

Ebola's common vector is unsanitary water so in that respect it is very much like cholera.  Combine that with basic sanitation and modern medical care and you have shut down Ebola's vector.  In a non shit hole country Ebola has very few ways of spreading.

Your projections are based on what?  Conjecture?  More hyperbole?  A combination?

Why not freak out about the flu mutating into a terrible strain this year since you are just throwing out random worse case scenarios that are conjecture?  Oh, maybe AIDS combining with the Flu and Ebola to create a super virus!  See look, I can come up with random worse case scenarios too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the type of thing that should happen in Florida, not Texas.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ebola's common vector is unsanitary water so in that respect it is very much like cholera.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ebola's common vector is unsanitary water so in that respect it is very much like cholera.  

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/

Here's the money quote: "Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats."

Combine that with basic sanitation and modern medical care and you have shut down Ebola's vector.  In a non shit hole country Ebola has very few ways of spreading.

Yeah, I'm going to believe the guy that can't even get the vector correct.

Your projections are based on what?  Conjecture?  More hyperbole?  A combination?

Conjecture.  Based on the fact that Duncan exposed upwards of 12 people.  The fact that "we" didn't contain Duncan until he had an opportunity to expose at least 12 identified people means that we probably haven't identified all the people he exposed, and there's a better than even chance that some of those people are going to get ebola before they in turn can be contained because we aren't following proper and prudent epidemological control protocols.

Why not freak out about the flu mutating into a terrible strain this year since you are just throwing out random worse case scenarios that are conjecture? Oh, maybe AIDS combining with the Flu and Ebola to create a super virus! See look, I can come up with random worse case scenarios too.

I'm not even starting to come up with worst case scenarios.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what was the most credible panic threat in the last 50 years?

nada...because of the media.

This too shall pass....like liquified organs through your "an-noose"

View Quote

The media loves to create a crisis.  The fact that they are saying no big deal has me scared.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here's the money quote: "Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats."

Conjecture.  Based on the fact that Duncan exposed upwards of 12 people.  The fact that "we" didn't contain Duncan until he had an opportunity to expose at least 12 identified people means that we probably haven't identified all the people he exposed, and there's a better than even chance that some of those people are going to get ebola before they in turn can be contained because we aren't following proper and prudent epidemological control protocols.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combine that with basic sanitation and modern medical care and you have shut down Ebola's vector.  In a non shit hole country Ebola has very few ways of spreading.

Why not freak out about the flu mutating into a terrible strain this year since you are just throwing out random worse case scenarios that are conjecture? Oh, maybe AIDS combining with the Flu and Ebola to create a super virus! See look, I can come up with random worse case scenarios too.

I said "Ebola's common vector is unsanitary water", that doesn't exclude other forms of transmission, it simply says that is the most common..do you need me to define common for you?

So take the common vector combined with the less common vectors that are common with Ebola and compare them to our society.  What you have remaining is a risk factor that is very low do to our society having modern medical technology and basic sanitation.

You are coming up with worse case scenarios based on the picking and choosing of facts.  You can't make accurate predictions while omitting the facts you choose to ignore.

Next.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Settle down, guys. The White House just announced that no health surveillance or screenings are to take place at US airports. All is well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not, so fast.
there have been numerous studies that showed airborne capabilities in research monkees.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Settle down, guys. The White House just announced that no health surveillance or screenings are to take place at US airports. All is well.
View Quote

Of course not.   That would make too much sense.  
Can't spare any IR cameras or TSA agents.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Slight thread drift...

View Quote

Nobody is talking about ISIS about to take Baghdad anymore. That heat is off Obama. Bet the Liberal Media and the Administration is thanking their Gods for this Ebola story.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 The media loves to create a crisis.  The fact that they are saying no big deal has me scared.
View Quote

Scariest post of the day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#18]
For fucks sake.

If I was President, I would have the State Department issue a travel ban to the African nations currently experiencing this breakout.

I would also require that A)no non-citizen could come here from there, and B) any citizen returning CONUS from there be required to undergo quarantine until testing can be conducted to ensure they are not infected.

This shit is fire, Obama and his agencies, now populated with nothing but empty headed sycophants, are playing with fire.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I live 3 blocks from one of those elementary schools.

Luckily nobody in my neighborhood sends their kids their because it's mostly blacks, mexicans and foreigners.  They all go to private schools.
View Quote

So basically infected children would go home to their parents who work fast food, retail, or service jobs with no paid time off?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I said "Ebola's common vector is unsanitary water", that doesn't exclude other forms of transmission, it simply says that is the most common..do you need me to define common for you?
View Quote

Yes, you said "Ebol'a common vector is unsanitary water".  You are wrong.  As in totally fucking incorrect.  It is not a waterborne disease.  It is spread person to person.  Not from contaminated well water or streams or rivers or water in ditches.  Person to person.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

None of those are confirmed and there where multiple ways bodily fluids could have passed between test hosts.

What we are left with is; that it might be possible that Ebola can passable through larger amounts of airborne fluid droplets but a far more likely scenario is those test subjects were infected with excrement.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, you said "Ebol'a common vector is unsanitary water".  You are wrong.  As in totally fucking incorrect.  It is not a waterborne disease.  It is spread person to person.  Not from contaminated well water or streams or rivers or water in ditches.  Person to person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's spread through poop water.  That is it's most common vector.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasn't it yesterday that dickface, err, holder banned ANY profiling?
Can't screen Africans...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dallas ISD Superintendent announces that five different students from four different schools may have been exposed to Ebola. What I want to know, is how many of those kids went to school between the time patient zero became symptomatic and yesterday's confirmation of infection?

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/01/thompson-dallas-county-ebola-patient-cases/16524303/
View Quote

I seem to remember starting a thread a while back where I suggested a quarantine on Africa, or at least the Ebola hotspots for this very reason, but I was lambasted, and ridiculed for it.  Well here you go, have fun bleeding from your eyeballs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"Hey man, can I get a drag off that cig/blunt/fotay/pipe.........."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luckily nobody in my neighborhood sends their kids their because it's mostly blacks, mexicans and foreigners.  They all go to private schools.

Was this guy in the ghetto?
People sharing loosies and breeding like rabbits?

Yes.  He lives in the ghetto.  It's a high density area with millions of apartments.  High crime area.

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm already in my bunker, been there since the news first broke. I'm not even on the internet because I can't be sure just how that shit is spread yet.
View Quote

You get if from your computer.... It's a VIRUS DuH!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Whats even worse, those flights from Africa still continue to come here
View Quote

This.

Don't you love political correctness?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this guy in the ghetto?
People sharing loosies and breeding like rabbits?

Yes.  He lives in the ghetto.  It's a high density area with millions of apartments.  High crime area.

FIFY

Pass the ebola to the left hand side.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats even worse, those flights from Africa still continue to come here

This.

Don't forget the pediatric respiratory virus that coincidentally showed up after thousands of Central American children walked through our open border.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This is the type of thing that should happen in Florida, not Texas.
View Quote

Fuck you.... No!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure if Ebola can survive in water for more than a few minutes, thanks to the magic that occurs when a host cell is immersed in a hypotonic solution... or some such sciencey-voodoo-shit like that. There are conflicting reports.

Or I might have just made that up. That's entirely possible.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#32]
This just in the president has put the United States secret service in charge of the Ebola quarantine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#33]
You want to know how bad it is?  

This is how bad it is:  Ebola is racist.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Death toll now 3,338.   Government shill bullshit notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I didn't know about this thread, started a dupe.

Has anyone offered any explanation how five kids from four different school districts may have been exposed? All by the visitor from Liberia? Or from people who had contact with that guy?

I was honestly in the not too worried about it spreading camp until I heard this news.

If that has been answered in the previous 5 pages please humor me with the answer.

How the hell were those kids exposed?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Has anyone offered any explanation how five kids from four different school districts may have been exposed? All by the visitor from Liberia? Or from people who had contact with that guy?

I was honestly in the not too worried about it spreading camp until I heard this news.

If that has been answered in the previous 5 pages please humor me with the answer.

View Quote

Unless you're part of the government in-crowd, that is forbidden knowledge.

How fucking dare you ask!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Government shill bullshit notwithstanding.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:00:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are the family that this guy was visiting.t
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:13:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ya just love race based school busing.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:25:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why just the five children? Surely there were parents and siblings who were also exposed. Or were these elementary age kids somehow the only ones caring for him while he was contagious?

They ate of his flesh, drank of his blood? I somehow doubt this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:34:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why just the five children? Surely there were parents and siblings who were also exposed. Or were these elementary age kids somehow the only ones caring for him while he was contagious?

View Quote

Ebola can be passed by saliva and kids are always touching each other and sharing things like game controllers.
So I'm not surprised it passed to all of them almost instantly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:42:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ebola can be passed by saliva and kids are always touching each other and sharing things like game controllers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. And they also constantly excrete snot, spit, boogers, sneezes, bloody scrapes, etc. And parents don't think twice about it. Contacting it. Something's fucky about this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I don't think Mosquitos transmit viruses very well, except west Nile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank god mosquito season is over with up here. Can it be passed by biting insects?

I don't think Mosquitos transmit viruses very well, except west Nile.
nvm

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:12:19 AM EDT
[#44]
And let the panic begin.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#45]
How does Ebola survive in the cold?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Right. And they also constantly excrete snot, spit, boogers, sneezes, bloody scrapes, etc. And parents don't think twice about it. Contacting it. Something's fucky about this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ERMAGHERD ONE GUY IN MY CITY HAS EBOLA TIME TO START FREAKING OUT OVER BOOGERS
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drinking early?

The title of this thread and the subject are about the 5 kids that all went to different schools have ebola and most likely spread it around.
Ebola is contagious before the victim shows symptoms .  

Actually think about that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Obviously the only reasonable Government solution to the looming Ebola Crisis is mandatory background checks and an assault weapons ban.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Drinking early?

The title of this thread and the subject are about the 5 kids that all went to different schools have ebola and most likely spread it around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drinking early?

...5 kids that all went to different schools have ebola?  Really?

ERMAGHERD HIDE YO GAME CONTROLLERS

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if Ebola can survive in water for more than a few minutes, thanks to the magic that occurs when a host cell is immersed in a hypotonic solution... or some such sciencey-voodoo-shit like that. There are conflicting reports.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask him for a link or cite. Ad hominem galore. Will not defend positions. Lazy.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top