Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2014 7:04:11 PM EDT
I'm interested in your in-the-field opinion of these:   Sloppy Joe,  Beef Stew, Beef Brisket Entree, MRE Chicken Fajita Filling

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm interested in your in-the-field opinion of these:   Sloppy Joe,  Beef Stew, Beef Brisket Entree, MRE Chicken Fajita Filling

Thanks!

View Quote

If you are hungry EVERYTHING tastes good
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Still pissed they took away my Chicken and Rice.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could buy a case of Oatmeal Cookie Bars!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They all taste good to me. Those are all my favorites!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The only MRE I never liked was the jambalaya one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Chicken with Noodles or GTFO!

Maple pork sausage is pretty good too, or at least that's what the Afghan kids tell me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maple pork sausage is pretty good too, or at least that's what the Afghan kids tell me.
View Quote

Chicken with noodles was good because of the goodies it came with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only MRE I never liked was the jambalaya one.
View Quote

The only MRE I never liked was the biscuits and gravy. Would gladly eat myself to death on the rest.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The beef stew isn't bad. It used to be awesome but I think they changed the recipe. Maybe my taste has changed drastically, I don't know. I just throw vegetable crackers and (if you can find it) the green Tabasco in it and call it good.

Sloppy joe. Whoever thought this was a good field ration should be punched in the junk. #1, it sucks. #2 it's messy as hell. I think it comes with tortillas or maybe that dried crap wafer they call bread. Either way it's ridiculous to eat that way. I dump vegetable crackers and jalapeno cheese in it and call it good.

Beef brisket is edible. If you are expecting Texas style, or any other bbq style brisket, just throw it back in the box and grab something else.

The chicken fajita is good. Good enough I saved it for when I had time to do it right. Get an extra heater, jalapeno cheese and refried beans. Heat chicken in one heater, beans and jalapeno cheese in another. Take chicken out of heater and drain it. Throw the tortillas in the heater. Knead the cheese well before opening. Add jalapeno cheese, refried beans and stir. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this in response to ebola?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually like the pork sausage, the pancake (or whatever they called it) was pretty legit.

I really liked MRE cornbread too, even more than the pound cake.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd take the last three. stew beef, brisket and chicken Sloppy joes are sloppy yo.

I loved the old pork hash MREs. That stuff would stick to a mans ribs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I actually like the pork sausage, the pancake (or whatever they called it) was pretty legit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

oh the pound cake....

That is great with the peanut butter
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I always crushed up the knock off cheese its and added them to the sloppy joe along with some cheese spread and tobasco.  Ate it out of the pouch with a spoon.  I thought it was pretty good.

And thanks to all of you jambalaya haters for always leaving more of them for me.  Heated up jambalaya with melted cheese spread and tobasco was my absolute favorite!

ETA: Creamsicle cookie and dairy shakes....mmmmm
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Pretty much.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Buffalo chicken is new and outstanding. Beef stew, chili mac also ftw.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Check out gschultz9 and Kiwi Dude on YouTube. Lots of MRE reviews on their channel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll fight somebody for a 2010+ dated Country Captain Chicken. If they even exist.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They all taste good to me. Those are all my favorites!
View Quote

This.

Even the "nasty" Captains chicken isn't even that bad.

I actually preferred MREs while I was in Iraq. I lost count of how many "old" cases I went through.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll fight somebody for a 2010+ dated Country Captain Chicken. If they even exist.
View Quote

That was about the only one I absolutely wouldn't eat.  I'd go hungry before eating that lol.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That was about the only one I absolutely wouldn't eat.  I'd go hungry before eating that lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The nasty one for me was the one with the allegedly pork slab or some other shit.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Pork rib I think?  Like a bootleg McRib.  I'd drink the fatty juice out of the pouch, it tasted good lol.

I don't think I ever ate MREs like they were supposed to be eaten.  Always smashin stuff up and mixing things together.  We'd get airdrops from C130s every so often so we had tons of cases piled everywhere on our little half platoon outpost.  

Ratfuck city lol.

Any of you guys have the freeze dried winter MREs in the white bags?  For some reason we had a ton of them during the summer.  They were pretty damn good as long as you could boil water to make the entrée.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wish I could buy a case of Oatmeal Cookie Bars!
View Quote

Try here http://theepicenter.com/cgi/order.cgi?page=mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html&cart_id=%%CArt_id%%

They sell items separately or in a case.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Pork rib I think?  Like a bootleg McRib.  I'd drink the fatty juice out of the pouch, it tasted good lol.

I don't think I ever ate MREs like they were supposed to be eaten.  Always smashin stuff up and mixing things together.  We'd get airdrops from C130s every so often so we had tons of cases piled everywhere on our little half platoon outpost.  

Ratfuck city lol.
View Quote
I got two cases because Katrina fucked us up.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]
sloppy joe is the best mre
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's a vintage 1980's Beef Stew MRE I ate last year (old timers will remember this one):

Somehow, I survived. I prefer Chicken Cavatelli from the newer MRE's.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Check out gschultz9 and Kiwi Dude on YouTube. Lots of MRE reviews on their channel.
View Quote

Thanks - and thanks to everyone who responded!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Back to the specific meals listed by the OP...

I always thought beef stew was over rated.  It was OK but nowhere near a top pick of mine.

Sloppy joe was good mixed up in the pouch as I mentioned earlier...with baked cheese crackers, cheese spread, and tobasco mixed in.  Never tried to make am actual sandwich out of it.

I don't think brisket was around during my time.

I also don't remember the fajita one but I tended to avoid anything with chicken in it as it was always horribly dry.

Cheese spread, preferably with jalapeño along with tobasco made everything better....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

I hate the sloppy joe. Beef stew usually comes with M&Ms. The others aren't bad. Actually, those are my favorites except sloppy joe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
best place to buy?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#36]

I used to love the cherry fruit cake and the fruit cocktail. Just eat the fruit cocktail like a candy bar. Beef stew was the best to me back then.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Beef stew results in the least TP usage so winner
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I liked the really early dehydrated pork and beef patties.  They were actually good to eat dry.  I also loved the dehydrated fruit.  Better than candy!
View Quote
I feel kinda wierd this thread is makin me hungry.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Beef stew results in the least TP usage so winner
View Quote

There is something to say for that.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

Never hear of them
Chicken al king
Beef with spiced sauce
ham slice
beef slice
hot dogs

Stay off my lawn.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

best place to buy?
View Quote

I received a shipment today from Emergency Essentials. GTG.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Damn dude. I threw away a case like that that I found in my parent's house recently. I finally started rotating out my 2006 cases. I still have a bunch of tray rats that I got a deal on. I will pitch them in a year or two maybe.
View All Quotes

...and you will call me for proper disposal (will pay shipping...)

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Is this in response to ebola?
View Quote

Yes.  It prevents bleeding out of the ass.

You'll need some Visine for the eye bleeding, but be careful, it's drug paraphernalia according to arfcom.  Do not clench if you have it in your possession.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Chicken fajita is
but the best is the buffalo chicken!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

i thought they were potatoes

View All Quotes

Those 80's MRE with the chocolate covered brownies are the best. I wish they still made that dessert.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top