Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/30/2014 3:26:52 PM EDT
http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2014/09/science-is-for-stupid-people.html?m=1

Science is a rigorous way of making fewer mistakes. It’s not very useful to people who already know everything. Science is for stupid people who know how much they don’t know.
View Quote

A lot of good food for thought in here. The author doesn't really expand on it, but this touches on the replacement of religious faith in God with religious faith in the nebulous concept of "science." One no longer asserts the appeal to authority of holy writ, one claims that "science" has "proven" whatever non-reproducible thing it is that you believe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Science is bullshit ... for the bible tells me so.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's be honest, nowadays science is next to useless. The publish or perish mentality in academia has destroyed it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
lol ok
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I had high regard for science until so many scientists from certain fields became little more than lapdogs for politicians.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's be honest, nowadays science is next to useless. The publish or perish mentality in academia has destroyed it.
View Quote

Grant welfare is the devil
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
lol
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Scientific method is a perfect framework used to understand something that is not yet understood.  However fools leap to conlusions and claim they were reached with science.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

No...science is understanding what God made.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Next to useless.

Says the guy posting on the internet.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Pastafari.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Science is a rigorous way of making fewer mistakes. It’s not very useful to people who already know everything. Science is for stupid people who know how much they don’t know.
View Quote

A lot of good food for thought in here. The author doesn't really expand on it, but this touches on the replacement of religious faith in God with religious faith in the nebulous concept of "science." One no longer asserts the appeal to authority of holy writ, one claims that "science" has "proven" whatever non-reproducible thing it is that you believe.
View Quote

lol, no.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Certainly people never did stupid things in the name of religion before science led them astray.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had high regard for science until so many scientists from certain fields became little more than lapdogs for politicians.
View Quote

LOL wut?
So a criminal using a gun in a crime gives all gun owners a bad name.
A bad boss means all bosses are bad?
Etc etc
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Lotta folks in here who A. didn't read the article B. have no grasp of what "science" actually is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote
Only people who don't understand what "proven" is claim that.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This kind of thing just does wonders for the Republican party.
View Quote

Did you actually read the article?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Lotta folks in here who A. didn't read the article B. have no grasp of what "science" actually is.
View Quote
So you are what, B?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Next to useless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next to useless.

Don't confuse science with engineering.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is most people, which is the point of the article. Your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read several rambling and incoherent paragraphs, not seeing a point, I gave up.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL wut?
Etc etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL wut?
Etc etc

Please don't misunderstand me.  I still have high regard for respectably peer reviewed science that is honestly done in the name of increasing knowledge.

I just think that the integrity of science in general has suffered from scientists allowing themselves to be used as political lapdogs in the way that global warming proponents have.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Next to useless.

Without science there would be no engineering.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Please don't misunderstand me.  I still have high regard for respectably peer reviewed science that is honestly done in the name of increasing knowledge.

I just think that the integrity of science in general has suffered from scientists allowing themselves to be used as political lapdogs in the way that global warming proponents have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL wut?

Etc etc

And the integrity of gun owners has suffered due to the actions of people like Adam Lanza?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that.

I'll read the article later.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah fuck science. Imagine how much more advanced we would be without it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#28]
For all the folks too butthurt to read the actual article, the point is not to impugn the actual scientific process: merely to point out that many folks who do not understand what that actually is have hijacked the term and use it to further whatever non-scientific idea they have.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And the integrity of gun owners has suffered due to the actions of people like Adam Lanza?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL wut?
Etc etc

In the public eye?

We had a stellar situation in Utah until very recently.  Guns can be carried in schools as long as you have a CCL.  We went years without any incidents which was a great way to shut down any of the "blood in the streets" claims that were traditionally thrown around by the anti-gun crowd.  Then a few weeks ago a local teacher has a negligent discharge in a school bathroom.  Next thing you know the newspaper editorial staff and others are all over the story to exploit it and paint gun possession at school in a bad light.

So yeah, a few bad apples can hurt the whole bunch in the public eye.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah fuck science. Imagine how much more advanced we would be without it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#32]

GD WINS AGAIN!!!

lol

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

For all the folks too butthurt to read the actual article, the point is not to impugn the actual scientific process: merely to point out that many folks who do not understand what that actually is have hijacked the term and use it to further whatever non-scientific idea they have.
View Quote
I do not understand "what that actually is have hijacked"?

Great point.

ETA::Oh, and I read the article, and it was a bunch of rambling, barely coherent assertions that are loosely tied together.  The article lacked structure and was extremely poorly written.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Science is for stupid people who know how much they don’t know.
View Quote

View Quote

Stupid people don't know how much they don't know.

Smart people are capable of being aware of their own ignorance, unless they let themselves be blinded by hubris. You also need a baseline of knowledge to know that there is more to learn on a given subject, but again this does not have anything to do with being stupid.

Stupid != ignorant
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Point to me a period in history when that wasn't the case. The reality, the historical record confirming this, is that eventually the truth and rigor transcends this bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Great point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great point.

People who do not understand what the scientific method is and is not

have hijacked the term to promote their non-scientific ideas.

I can't diagram a sentence on here but hopefully the spacing clears it up.

"Because science says so" has replaced "Because God/Allah/the spirits of our ancestors say so" as the most popular appeal to authority.

ETA: for example, all of the reporting where the initial actual science says "In this limited dataset we believe we may have some evidence that X may have some effect on Y" and the headlines say "Science proves X causes Y!" And then politicians need to stick their dick further into your life because science!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Point to me a period in history when that wasn't the case. The reality, the historical record confirming this, is that eventually the truth and rigor transcends this bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Some of what he says makes sense if you think of "science", as (the nebulous) GD often does, as tantamount to global warming, evolution, and social studies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

"Because science says so" has replaced "Because God/Allah/the spirits of our ancestors say so" as the most popular appeal to authority.

ETA: for example, all of the reporting where the initial actual science says "In this limited dataset we believe we may have some evidence that X may have some effect on Y" and the headlines say "Science proves X causes Y!" And then politicians need to stick their dick further into your life because science!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great point.

And that's science's fault how?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some of what he says makes sense if you think of "science", as (the nebulous) GD often does, as tantamount to global warming, evolution, and social studies.
View Quote

His entire point was that non-scientific things are being branded as "science."
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Next to useless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next to useless.

Al Gore created the internet. He's not a scientist.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
A well supported theory such as evolution would go completely against what he says.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And many scientific things are being branded by the ignorant as "not science".

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great point.

For a scientist you're remarkably dense.

The point of the article is not impugning actual science.

It is pointing out that people are attempting to claim authority for their views by labeling them as "science" or "scientific" when they are not.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God is for explaining things you don't understand by creating a supernatural sky man.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I read several rambling and incoherent paragraphs, not seeing a point, I gave up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. I guess if you're not good enough to get your work published, publish it yourself on a "blog".
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

It is pointing out that people are attempting to claim authority for their views by labeling them as "science" or "scientific" when they are not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great point.

And you're remarkably dense if you think that the label "actual science" doesn't get selectively applied by people who have no concept of what science actually is, and only seek to attack something they don't like.

We've seen it in this thread.

Its a two way street.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want the science back they had in the 60's with all the technology and knowledge of today. All those guys with slide rulers in the NASA control center during a lift off- they should be in charge of all scientific stuff today. Objectivity. No bullshit. Get shit done. No bullshit political agendas to prove...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top