BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Terrible weather and every animal here wants to kill you.
View Quote

Including the locals.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
How is Texas in terms of manufacturing?

Seems like it is still dominated by the Oil Industry.  I know Governor Perry has been relentless is trying to bring in more companies and diversify.  Say what you want about Perry, the guy is a damn good salesman for Texas.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How is Texas in terms of manufacturing?

Seems like it is still dominated by the Oil Industry.  I know Governor Perry has been relentless is trying to bring in more companies and diversify.  Say what you want about Perry, the guy is a damn good salesman for Texas.
View Quote

exports from Texas
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
A good friend of mine relocated to Plano 3 years ago. They currently rent but have been trying to find a home in the area. Their budget is + or - $1,000,000. They can’t find a decent home for that money where the neighborhood isn’t full of indians.

Sounds like a shit storm to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine relocated to Plano 3 years ago. They currently rent but have been trying to find a home in the area. Their budget is + or - $1,000,000. They can’t find a decent home for that money where the neighborhood isn’t full of indians.

View Quote

They must have a much different interpretation of "decent" than most folks I know.  If not, then they must be restricting their search to a very small area.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Any terminology I need to brush up on before I move to TX?  I had to learn some new phrases/words when I lived down south.

Shopping cart = buggy.
Turn off/on  = cut off/on.  (This one stuck, and I still use it.)
Coke = not necessarily Coca Cola.  It's also Pepsi and everything else carbonated and sugary.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If I *had* to move to Texas, I'd probably try to relocate to somewhere around Austin, politics of the place be damned. I figure the rest of the state does a fine enough job keeping them in check, where it matters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plenty of fiber where it is needed - had fiber in my back yard in 2000 in central Austin.

That said, Austin is not really in Texas, now is it.

If I *had* to move to Texas, I'd probably try to relocate to somewhere around Austin, politics of the place be damned. I figure the rest of the state does a fine enough job keeping them in check, where it matters.

This is where it's at!

Horseshoe Bay
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They must have a much different interpretation of "decent" than most folks I know.  If not, then they must be restricting their search to a very small area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She’s executive level at a development company. 4-5,000 SF new construction home. They don’t have a problem with indians. But it is an issue when you’re the minority in the neighborhood. Tax and title records show 80% of the homes are being bought by indians.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any terminology I need to brush up on before I move to TX?  I had to learn some new phrases/words when I lived down south.

Shopping cart = buggy.
Coke = not necessarily Coca Cola.  It's also Pepsi and everything else carbonated and sugary.
View Quote

Took me a while (25 years ago) to figure out "Put it up" meant "put it away".
Tea = sweet tea (unless you're in Austin then hell if I know), anyplace else if you want unsweet tea, you should specify
Fuckstick = Obama
Evil Whore = Wendy Davis
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tea = sweet tea (unless you're in Austin then hell if I know), anyplace else if you want unsweet tea, you should specify
Fuckstick = Obama
Evil Whore = Wendy Davis
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

Fuckstick = Obama
Evil Whore = Wendy Davis

Any unassuming insults I need to be on the look out for?

Like the south has "Well bless your heart".  I didn't realize they were telling me to go fuck myself.  Does TX use that saying?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

View Quote

If you hear someone talking about a blue norther, they're not talking about choking out yankees.    It's a cold front that typically has a large blue/black cloud as it comes in.

relevant to this thread and speaking of the weather, a term I haven't heard in a while:

Frog strangler=really heavy rain

Other than that, I don't know.  I think I talk in a completely normal way so I can't think of many phrases that other people shouldn't already know.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

We're full.

View Quote

LOL, guess everyone south of the Rio Grande missed that memo.

And if you think you're full now? Just wait.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

View Quote

I call them shopping carts.  I say turn off/on.  

If I ask for Coke it means Coca-Cola, but I don't ask for it often because Dr. Pepper is the soda of real men.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Y'all turning blue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If I ask for Coke it means Coca-Cola, but I don't ask for it often because Dr. Pepper is the soda of real men.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

Dr. Pepper is for children and alcoholics.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you hear someone talking about a blue norther, they're not talking about choking out yankees.    It's a cold front that typically has a large blue/black cloud as it comes in.

relevant to this thread and speaking of the weather, a term I haven't heard in a while:

Other than that, I don't know.  I think I talk in a completely normal way so I can't think of many phrases that other people shouldn't already know.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

Most of the time we say it's raining like a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Y'all turning blue.
View Quote

In your sad, pathetic little dreams.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife found a great job in Austin.  I told her to keep looking.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell them to look in the Willowbend area of Plano.  Should be able find something nice for $1 million.  Like say this one Link

or if they're credit is good:$6 Million

Someone who can't find a decent home for $1million isn't looking hard enough.    

Plano water restriction suck though.  I'll be lucky not to lose a few trees, the grass is a lost cause.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Been to New Mexico, Colorado, Louisiana, Alabama, Oklahoma, North and South Carolina, and Mississippi.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hype.  

Texas ain't that great.

Let me guess: born, raised, and have never been outside of it?

Been to New Mexico, Colorado, Louisiana, Alabama, Oklahoma, North and South Carolina, and Mississippi.

Visit or lived? Big difference.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Thought about it. Went for a visit and changed my mind.

Montana is the spot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

I would disagree, but I have nothing good to rebuke that statement.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hype.  

Texas ain't that great.

Visited.  

He didn't ask about living.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
In ten years don't come begging to us for fresh water, Tejas.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is where it's at!

Horseshoe Bay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plenty of fiber where it is needed - had fiber in my back yard in 2000 in central Austin.

This is where it's at!

Horseshoe Bay

That is not Austin. Not even close.

And I say that as someone whose family has a ranch in Marble Falls.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tell them to look in the Willowbend area of Plano.  Should be able find something nice for $1 million.  Like say this one Link

Plano water restriction suck though.  I'll be lucky not to lose a few trees, the grass is a lost cause.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info thanks. I’ll send him this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is urban Austin that is bad, the surrounding areas are just fine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is urban Austin that is bad, the surrounding areas are just fine.  

This is correct. My neighborhood is surprisingly conservative.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Like the south has "Well bless your heart".  I didn't realize they were telling me to go fuck myself.  Does TX use that saying?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

Fuckstick = Obama
Evil Whore = Wendy Davis

That one could go either way honestly.

If you hear a lot of "yes, ma'am" and "no, sir", don't interpret solely as a reference to someone older.  It's usually just a sign of good manners.

Another one...."tank" or "stock tank" is what you'll hear most "ponds" referred to as.

Brushing up on some basic spanish insults would be useful, if not for your own use then at least to recognize what you're being called.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Visited.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hype.  

Texas ain't that great.

Visited.  

Kudos for being at least somewhat diversified. Maybe you just hate yourself.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all turning blue.

Lol. It will happen all it takes is one huge county to go blue. Happened here, look at our map all red with one little blue dot controlling the entire state.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I hate diversity so it was really hard crossing that state line.

Just saying Texas has it cons.  More pros than cons of course.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Which part of Texas has the best looking women?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Clarity: it matters.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's all a bunch backwards and racist rednecks here.  Stay away!
View Quote

Stay far far away
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wait til you live in some of those states you listed, I have and couldn't wait to get back here. Grass is always greener or something like that....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Texas is ALWAYS under a drought warning, somewhere.  They should just stop calling it drought and designate it as "normal" then when it rains call it "rainy season."  

West Texas gets rain... but all at once.  Look at recent weather related news articles for Pecos, TX as an example.  Their avg per year is 12.56 inches.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you hear a lot of "yes, ma'am" and "no, sir", don't interpret solely as a reference to someone older.  It's usually just a sign of good manners.

Another one...."tank" or "stock tank" is what you'll hear most "ponds" referred to as.

Brushing up on some basic spanish insults would be useful, if not for your own use then at least to recognize what you're being called.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

Fuckstick = Obama
Evil Whore = Wendy Davis

I took Spanish for about 4 years total.  I still can't speak it, aside from "Donde esta mis pantalones?".

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lol. It will happen all it takes is one huge county to go blue. Happened here, look at our map all red with one little blue dot controlling the entire state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all turning blue.

Urban areas are already blue.

Urban population continues to grow.  Strangely enough, so does the Republicans share of the vote.

Texas could go blue, but it isn't trending that way currently.  And I never hear those predicting doom and gloom here talk about any of the other currently red states who ARE trending more blue and are being won by a much smaller majority....which if they were smart they'd be more concerned about than us.   Plus, we're stubborn assholes.  By the time we go blue, the rest of the country will be voting red again, which by then will represent the Communist party.

I've given the long rundown before, but the Democrat party here is a clusterfuck.  Just as an example, the Democrat party's hand selected candidate for Senate this year had to defeat his primary opponent in a run off.  The reason that is noteworthy is his opponent was a black female Larouche Democrat, who spent all of $10,000 campaigning on a platform of impeaching Obama and repealing the ACA...and won 21% and 27% in the democrat primary and run off.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Been to amarillo a bunch, meh.
And people say ks is flat...

I did enjoy the terrain around Canadian tx though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Been to amarillo a bunch, meh.
And people say ks is flat...

I did enjoy the terrain around Canadian tx though.
View Quote

Yea.  The Llano Estacado starts around Big Spring and ends a bit North of Amarillo.

Llano Estacado or "Staked Plain" - so called because of the desert yucca plants, which have a single woody stalk rising up through the center.

And yes...  very very flat...  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Shopping cart = buggy.

View Quote

Messican
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm curious and I probably won't get an honest answer in GD, but it seems inevitable that people are moving to TX with the way your economy is right now. Wouldn't you rather welcome people on a largely conservative forum such as this with open arms, and have them take the place of the average transplant from CA? I don't understand the animosity towards "foreigners" in TX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're full.

I'm curious and I probably won't get an honest answer in GD, but it seems inevitable that people are moving to TX with the way your economy is right now. Wouldn't you rather welcome people on a largely conservative forum such as this with open arms, and have them take the place of the average transplant from CA? I don't understand the animosity towards "foreigners" in TX.

actually NO...

I am not a native but have been here nearly 40 years fleeing the communist take over of most of new England.
those coming here today are NOT the conservative pro business, pro independence Texans that created the current climate. While some Here may
be gun loving conservatives wishing to flee the failed policies of the Progressives in their home states. History tells me
they bring brothers, sisters and cousins who want nothing more than the welfare state they're supposedly fleeing and the
Progressive Democrat policies that destroyed their home states opportunities... IT has destroyed Houston, San Antonio and now Dallas (Austin fell long ago, well before my arrival, BUT weird was OK..Progressive money sucking thievery and baby ripping liberalism is NOT)
honest enough answer about what I"ve seen of the "Foreigners" that come here since the late 80's???

Chef
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#47]
The area around Tyler/Kilgore/Longview/Carthage is where it's at in my opinion. Tyler isn't a big city by any means but it's big enough to have anything anyone would ever need. Elevation changes (not extreme), lots of trees and plenty of water. I live just outside of Houston but every time I drive through that area I dream about about buying a few hundred acres out there in the Big Thicket/Piney Woods region.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Now, I'm kind of wondering how things compare. I found my last water bill, and I paid $58.12 for 2,940 gallons last month. So...just shy of $0.02 a gallon, taxes, fees, service hookup, and all. This also includes sewer, for what it's worth. I guess they figure if you use it, they gotta dispose of it.

If my rate is tiered, I can't tell by looking at the bill. But anyway, that's what I pay in an area of the country that has NO problem with water.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/Chardon/2014-09-10%2019.09.11.jpg

This is my backyard - I don't own a sprinkler. Seriously. It gets watered when it rains (which is all the damn time, it seems like ).

How does this compare to Texas, out of curiosity?
View Quote

Texas is REALLY BIG and you can go from humid swamp where its like a green hell, to palm tree on the beach to cactus studded deserts to snow in Alpine in the course of 3 days..In North Texas, we're still green, grass wise right now, but normally brown and dry from August, which like much of America is hot and dry. This year it was rather wet..

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

For some reason, Plano keeps calling my name.  Maybe Pasadena.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some reason, Plano keeps calling my name.  Maybe Pasadena.

you DO NOT want to go to Pasadena unless you like the smell of oil/gas and Jalapeños..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Texas would love me, but I doubt I'd ever move there. Not enough water. (and yes, I've been there. It's beautiful)
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top