BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread makes me miss sevenmarythree.  

The *worst* one I ever got was a single purple pillow case at my wedding shower.  It was from some little old lady friend of the family and maybe it was all she had to give.  Makes me tear up.  

She certainly didn't have to get a gift at all but she did and she got herself dressed and came to my shower without even really knowing me.  I'll never forget that one purple pillow case.  
View Quote

That's a great story.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife is terrible at buying gifts.  This past Christmas I got an electric razor, and for my birthday this year I got a pair of jeans and some underwear. I've stopped putting so much thought/effort into her gifts because it's gotten so one-sided.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's a great story.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The *worst* one I ever got was a single purple pillow case at my wedding shower.  It was from some little old lady friend of the family and maybe it was all she had to give.  Makes me tear up.  

She certainly didn't have to get a gift at all but she did and she got herself dressed and came to my shower without even really knowing me.  I'll never forget that one purple pillow case.  

That's a great story.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
About the electric knife-----my husband bought one for my mom after struggling to carve a turkey or something with what she had on hand.  

That was YEARS ago and we were over there the other day and she pulled it out and said, "This is one of the best gifts I've ever gotten!  I use it all the time!"  She had 2 loaves of garlic bread sliced into single servings in about 10 seconds.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Reminded me of a wedding gift we got from my wife's grandfather.  It was this huge crystal vase thing that is just as ugly and tacky as sin.  Looks like a cremation urn.  I am sure he got it cheap some where.  Its so hideous that we can't even bring ourselves to regift it.

I need to take it to the range next time I go.  I bet 165gr SMK makes a beautiful sound through crystal.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The wife-unit got me a hot pot for my birthday last year.  I had been dropping hints that I wanted ammo, or a gift card to some place where ammo could be acquired.  Nope, a fucking hot pot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
About the electric knife-----my husband bought one for my mom after struggling to carve a turkey or something with what she had on hand.  

That was YEARS ago and we were over there the other day and she pulled it out and said, "This is one of the best gifts I've ever gotten!  I use it all the time!"  She had 2 loaves of garlic bread sliced into single servings in about 10 seconds.  
View Quote

We have on of these I've also never used.  Sounds like I need to give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Leaf Blower
For Father's Day

Sure Honey, I'll get out and do yardwork now
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great story.  

I would like to think that Medusa Monroe was the result of a situation like that, but I know my step-monster-in-law. She spends the minimum amount her husband will let her get by with on her husband's children and their spouses and just grabs junk off the dollar store clearance shelf. Leaves the tags on and everything. Her own daughters get much nicer, more thoughtful gifts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been gifted like 9 of the Wiener Schnitzel hot dog antenna things in your avatar on Holidays.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
A cheap ass bottle opener that bent 90 degrees trying to open the first bottle of beer, compliments of my former cheap ass sister-in-law. She was a PA and made really good money but damn she was cheap. I re-gifted it back to her on her birthday with the bend still in it. Funny part is that she didn't recognize it, bet someone else has it by now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]

I got an ugly ass black and white plaid sports coat for christmas.  My mother said I could carry it back to Belks and exchange it.  When I got there there were a dozen of them in a pile that other people and returned.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would like to think that Medusa Monroe was the result of a situation like that, but I know my step-monster-in-law. She spends the minimum amount her husband will let her get by with on her husband's children and their spouses and just grabs junk off the dollar store clearance shelf. Leaves the tags on and everything. Her own daughters get much nicer, more thoughtful gifts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great story.  

Yeah, as far as I know I've never been the recipient of one of those *hate* gifts.  

Although I can be spectacularly dense so I probably wouldn't know it if I had.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been gifted like 9 of the Wiener Schnitzel hot dog antenna things in your avatar on Holidays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know the story behind that one?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I received an anonymous gift for Christmas this year.

It's a pillowcase. It was shipped directly from China with this letter.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I received an anonymous gift for Christmas this year.

http://i.imgur.com/42UV90u.jpg

It's a pillowcase. It was shipped directly from China with this letter.

http://i.imgur.com/0UAV4dx.jpg
View Quote

Well?  Were you satisfy?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was about 10 my parents gave me a fancy $20 yo yo with a centrifugal clutch for Christmas.  Kinda cool . . felt guilty about getting such an expensive yo yo though and a bit pissed that I didn't get the stuff I asked for.  I wasn't into "yoyoing" or anything, so it was kinda random.  Still fun.

The next Christmas I got the exact same yo yo.  Now I had two.  WTF?  

The next Christmas (I'm 13 at this point) I got the same yo yo.  I now had 3 of them lined up on my windowsill.  Serious WTF?

A year later my dad brought me to his office for the day.  His building had a little store on the ground floor with techie stuff, sorta like a sharper image.  There was my yo yo - the only kid oriented thing in the store. I imagined my dad walking to his car on Christmas Eve, thinking "shit - I forgot to buy lil Brew a present . .  let me just duck into this place and see what they have!"

When I was in college he gave me smoke detectors for Christmas 3 years in a row.  I've never lived anywhere that didn't already have a smoke detector installed (by law).

I finally told him that if he was thinking of buying me a present, he could never go wrong with tools.  Nothing wrong with owning duplicate tools.  Things have been great since.

Best bad present story:  my father in law was invited to a wedding for a sister or female cousin.  He went to the thrift store and bought about 12 used toaster ovens.  Some were even broken.  He put toast in a few of them and then wrapped them all up and put them on the wedding gift table, with name cards from long lost relatives on from the groom's family.   He's one of those guys who will pull a  prank and never admit to it.  So he just looked as confused as everybody when they were opening gifts and saying "another toaster oven . .  and who the heck is great uncle Bob??"

Same FIL once wrapped all of his family christmas presents and glued all the boxes shut with carpet adhesive and then glued down the wrapping paper with more adhesive.  They were impossible to unwrap or open -  they wound up having to cut the sides off the unwrapped boxes. He still laughs about that one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That doesn't follow the line of this discussion at all.
We're talking about the worst gifts you've received.

What you're talking about is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you have to admit that one pillow case could qualify as a bad gift, even if it doesn't have a nearly nude picture of Nicholas Cage on it.  

I should get my sunny disposition and cheery optimism out of this dang thread, huh?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got a snow globe as a wedding gift a few months back.  What the fuck am I gonna do with a snow globe?
View Quote

Put it on a shelf in a special place, take it down once in a while when you are feeling sad and enjoy its
intrinsic beauty and reflect on the wedding and what a happy day it was.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Say...where IS sevenmary3 anyway?
seriously...I really don't know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know either.  Miss his posts though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#23]
My friends went together and bought me a box of dildos for my18th birthday. It was a large box, many dildos were inside it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, so not banned? thats good, he may be back then.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My friends went together and bought me a box of dildos for my18th birthday. It was a large box, many dildos were inside it.
View Quote

Have you used them up yet?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually regifted them all. True story.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Almost forgot about the fish shaped vase my dad got me for Christmas about 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I was hoping for a better ending than that...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Tabletop pool table 3 birthdays ago. Still unopened and in the same place it's been since then.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Electronic dart board.

I have multiple sets of fancy darts that I paid good money for and I get an electronic dart board.
I suppose it could be made into a target though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
For my birthday a few years ago my ex-girlfriend got me two spice racks from Ikea and a set of coveralls. I like to cook and can always use a set of coveralls, but there were a few problems with her purchases or should I say a lack there of.  She didn't buy either.

I was with her at Ikea when she picked them out and mentioned how ugly they would be in our kitchen. She snuck them through while we were checking out and I ended up paying for them.

The coveralls were actually purchased by me using some funds I had gotten from returning a few Hanukkah gifts that were not my size. They were out of stock when I ordered online and didn't ship for a few months. Evidently when the package showed up with them, she took them out of the package, wrapped them up and saved them for about another month to give to me as a birthday present.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

For my birthday a few years ago my ex-girlfriend got me two spice racks from Ikea and a set of coveralls. I like to cook and can always use a set of coveralls, but there were a few problems with her purchases or should I say a lack there of. She didn't buy either.

I was with her at Ikea when she picked them out and mentioned how ugly they would be in our kitchen. She snuck them through while we were checking out and I ended up paying for them.

The coveralls were actually purchased by me using some funds I had gotten from returning a few Hanukkah gifts that were not my size. They were out of stock when I ordered online and didn't ship for a few months. Evidently when the package showed up with them, she took them out of the package, wrapped them up and saved them for about another month to give to me as a birthday present.

View Quote

Now THAT girl is a keeper!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
For my birthday a few years ago my ex-girlfriend got me two spice racks from Ikea and a set of coveralls. I like to cook and can always use a set of coveralls, but there were a few problems with her purchases or should I say a lack there of.  She didn't buy either.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, you have to admit that one pillow case could qualify as a bad gift, even if it doesn't have a nearly nude picture of Nicholas Cage on it.  

I should get my sunny disposition and cheery optimism out of this dang thread, huh?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look... that was my version of a compliment.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

ha!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Buying gifts isn't easy as pie, even for someone you know.

Rather than let my wife or kids struggle with awkward assumptions and choices, I let them all know -- a long time ago -- that there were certain things I would always appreciate.

So now I always get one or more of the following:

Motorcycle parts/accessories
Motorcycle tools
Motorcycle clothing
Motorcycle books
Guns
Gun parts/accessories
Gun tools
Gun clothing
Gun books
Knives
American history books
Military history books
Art history books

Whenever I open a gift, I am always pleased, and that makes everyone else happy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it was.  That's why I smiled at you.  

You're right though.  I have a way of making the most flimsy of connections to things and wind up derailing threads (or real life conversations ).  

This may kind of count-----my 12-year old niece loves to read is always has the latest *young adults* novel in her hands.   She wound up with my mom for a bit the other day and didn't have a book with her.  My father was at Walmart so my mom asked him to pick up something for her to read.  He came home with Blood of Tyrants:  George Washington and the Forging of the Presidency.  

This is the same man who used to sign anniversary cards (when he'd actually get her one) with his first and last name.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:... used to sign anniversary cards (when he'd actually get her one) with his first and last name.
View Quote

That's going in the tool box, I'll use that later.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Best bad present story:  my father in law was invited to a wedding for a sister or female cousin.  He went to the thrift store and bought about 12 used toaster ovens.  Some were even broken.  He put toast in a few of them and then wrapped them all up and put them on the wedding gift table, with name cards from long lost relatives on from the groom's family.   He's one of those guys who will pull a  prank and never admit to it.  So he just looked as confused as everybody when they were opening gifts and saying "another toaster oven . .  and who the heck is great uncle Bob??"

View Quote

I have two weddings to attend in the next year.  THIS will be perfect.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#40]
A fucking Snuggie.

I fucking despise Snuggies. You know, the bathrobes you wear backwards as seen on tv.

Unwraped paper and saw the box. Thought for a second 'This cant be real, maybe something real is inside?!'.

Nope. It was a Snuggie. I even asked annoyed 'Is this a joke?!' 'Seriously?'

Gave it away before I left.

A fucking Snuggie for Xmas

ETA: Im so pissed right now about that gift, I'll cheer myself up by sharing my favorite gift. My oldest daughter (6 but 5 at the time) got me a cheap 3" $1.00 plastic #1 Dad trophy from her school. Meant the world to me. It doesnt have to be expensive. Just mean something. It sits proudly on my reloading bench

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#41]
My first Christmas with the new wife, she got me an electronic tie rack. I own all of three ties. She also got me one of those heated massage cushions that you plug into the wall and sit on the sofa...I actually use that from time to time. After almost 8 years of marriage, we are starting to get the gift giving wrinkles ironed out.

When I was with my ex, her great-Aunt got me a pack of white socks for Christmas. Not fancy white socks, or even some Haynes form Wal-Mart. These were some el-cheapo Freds white socks that fell apart after about three washings. The sad part was that she was the "rich" member of the family, being the owner of the only car stereo store in town.

The most useful gift was also from my ex...she bought me a door hinge for my old '84 Marquis. The driver's door hinge was so worn out that I had to roll down the window and push up in the door frame to be able to close the door. We were "rolling pennies for gas" broke, so when she asked me what I wanted for Father's Day, I told her to go with her brother to the local pick-a-part and get me a hinge!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#42]
For Christmas one year we, both me and my wife, got an inflatable fish. Its hanging on the wall.

For my birthday I got a cheeseburger and a few beers. Not too bad actually.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I got an ice cream scoop for Christmas one time. Apparently my grandmother goofed and put the wrong tag on it. It was intended for all her daughters to get one, only one didn't. Lol.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#44]
My former employer gave every retiree a rotating globe.  The HR manager (affirmative action type) thought it was
the neatest gift one could receive.  I left mine on the table at my reception. Unfortunately, she mailed it to me. I saved it for when we had bad weather so my trash can would not blow away.  Unfortunately, the garbage collector came by and emptied my trash can and it blew three houses down the street.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#45]
As a housewarming gift, an aunt of my wife's got us a box of toothpicks.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A fucking Snuggie.

I fucking despise Snuggies. You know, the bathrobes you wear backwards as seen on tv.

Unwraped paper and saw the box. Thought for a second 'This cant be real, maybe something real is inside?!'.

ETA: Im so pissed right now about that gift, I'll cheer myself up by sharing my favorite gift. My oldest daughter (6 but 5 at the time) got me a cheap 3" $1.00 plastic #1 Dad trophy from her school. Meant the world to me. It doesnt have to be expensive. Just mean something. It sits proudly on my reloading bench

View Quote

Same step-monster-in-law that bequeathed me the lovely Medusa Monroe also came up with the brilliant idea to gift me a leopard print Snuggie. Not only was it a cheap felt bassackwards bathrobe, it was leopard print, FFS. And it was an adult sized Snuggie to boot. Since I am 4'11" tall and all of 97 lbs, the thing swallowed me whole. My hands only went halfway down the sleeves and it was easily twice as long as I needed it to be.

I gave it to my dogs. It's Rooster's favorite bedtime blanket.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering what happened to him. I'll always remember the Christmas thread about his in-laws. That was some of the funniest shit I have ever read. EVER.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Same step-monster-in-law that bequeathed me the lovely Medusa Monroe also came up with the brilliant idea to gift me a leopard print Snuggie. Not only was it a cheap felt bassackwards bathrobe, it was leopard print, FFS. And it was an adult sized Snuggie to boot. Since I am 4'11" tall and all of 97 lbs, the thing swallowed me whole. My hands only went halfway down the sleeves and it was easily twice as long as I needed it to be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A fucking Snuggie.

I gave a penguin print snuggie to my sister for Christmas and she loved it! She took it to work as its cold there. Those damn penguins are fucking life sized!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#49]
In before case of pizza sauce.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#50]
A senile family member got me a subscription to Barney magazine...when I was 12.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top