Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/30/2014 7:27:18 AM EDT
. . . and so it begins, even here in Maine

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/29/news/portland/blacks-in-portland-arrested-at-disproportionate-rate-police-chief-admits/

PORTLAND, Maine — Portland’s black population is underrepresented on
the city’s police force and overrepresented in the arrest logs, Police
Chief Michael Sauschuck told an audience of more than 50 people Monday
night.

Of Portland’s approximately 66,000 residents, 7 percent are black, according to 2010 U.S. Census figures.

Sauschuck said on Monday night that out of his 163 police officers,
only three, or less than 2 percent, are black. Of the 3,500-plus arrests
his department made in 2013, he said, 18 percent were arrests of black
people.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Math be racist!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Stereotypes exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#3]
it's starting to feel  like the "white males need not apply" 80s again..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#4]
So do they believe that hiring black cops will reduce black crime?

Will only black officers be called to black crime?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#6]
so take sme of the blacks arrested and make them cops.
problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the solution is staring us in the face. Encourage more whites to commit more crimes, and some sort of community service for blacks that commit crimes that sends them to the police academy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so take sme of the blacks arrested and make them cops.
problem solved.
View Quote

Pretty obvious isn't it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit! Back then, I was the most discriminated person in the country. A white, educated male. My dream was to work in a National or State Forest or some other kind of government work in the environmental fields.

Now.....if I was a half black, half eskimo, handicapped woman who happened to be a vet.......no problem
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No shit! Back then, I was the most discriminated person in the country. A white, educated male. My dream was to work in a National or State Forest or some other kind of government work in the environmental fields.

Now.....if I was a half black, half eskimo, handicapped woman who happened to be a vet.......no problem
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no vetting process, as far as I understand it.  Claim 1/2 Native American of one stripe or another, or hispanic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they believe that hiring more black officers will decrease black arrests because.........and increase white arrests because.........bringing the world into a perfect harmonious balance consistent with the racial make up of their community and demonstrating that criminality in fact has nothing to do with race/culture, whatever descriptor makes you comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Whitey needs to start keeping it real.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#13]
check your damned privilege, crackers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#14]
So I understand that if they ramp up the search for a few more qualified black applicants who can make it through the training and get hired with the PD that statistic can be "balanced out", although I'm still not sure why it needs to be.
Please explain to me exactly how they plan to get the criminal population to balance itself out? Are they going to encourage whites to commit more crimes? Are they going to only arrest black criminals on certain days so they don't go over their quota? Maybe they could sponsor Get Out of Jail Free Fridays (*blacks only) or something to that effect?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just remember its a stereotype not a cold hard fact.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

'90's too. 1992, Hollywood FL police department flat out told me they wouldnt give me an application because I was a white male.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Better go beat down and arrest some white people.

Only way to make sure things are fair.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yup

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Maine has a 92% black high school graduation rate.  That's #1 in the nation.  Not so bad.

Florida's is 47%.  And of those people, how many don't have a criminal record already and can write a report?

I knew a black guy who had a good attitude and got through the police academy.  Wasn't super bright though.  Took him three attempts to pass the state exam.  After he got hired, he basically could not string sentences together to save his life and the department ended up firing him.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps, just perhaps there are more black criminals than white ones.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Portland

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#23]

What about the Hmong population?

What about the Navajo population?

Why is one minority given special consideration over the others?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Let me guess how they are going to change this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What about the Hmong population?

What about the Navajo population?

Why is one minority given special consideration over the others?

View Quote

Because of the NAACP

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#26]
portland's blacks might consider that if they want to reduce arrests, they should stop committing crimes
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're going to make the police tests harder.  

Much like Dear Leader Obama, the tests aren't stimulating enough to hold the attention of such intellects.

So...yeah, standards will definitely be raised and tests more challenging.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Since, apparently, the races of the people involved is the most important thing in the universe, the city government should declare that they're only going to arrest X number of blacks per year. After that quota is met, if you're black, you can't be arrested, and you get to commit whatever crimes you want within city limits without any legal repercussions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
portland's blacks might consider that if they want to reduce arrests, they should stop committing crimes
View Quote

And maybe apply themselves a little more.

But just a little.

Remember, they want to be cops.

It doesn't take much these days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Bingo...

...FBHO
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#31]
It couldn't have anything to due with a defective culture that promotes single parent female head of house hold home environments and thug life, could it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Separate but equal, I remember reading about that somewhere; but I can't quite recall.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Recruit a suitable number of new police officers directly from the ranks of current prison inmates and redress both of the patently unfair and discriminatory, practices at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe if they'd get arrested less, they'd be able to become cops.

Or, if they lack that self-control, they can move to Tennessee.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Then quit breaking the law assholes!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#39]
They should just arrest more white people for things like jaywalking or removing the tags off mattresses to even out the statistics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The answer is more blacks in uniform but in a different role...meaning they don't have the full authority of police officers and don't have to meet the same standards.  They will partner with the officers, always the white ones, and act as bi-lingual, bi-cultural advisors.  Their job is to help the white officer gain full situational awareness in  the ghetto environment and help diffuse situations that may lead to questionable arrests.  Their presence will assure the black community leaders that there is over watch on the white power structure and the white management benefits by a black eyewitness to the white officers' actions confirming the officers' reports.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Maybe they could not find over 2% that could pass a drug test.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Isn't Portland just a northern Boston suburb?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#43]

A couple of years ago, our HR was complaining to the Chief that we were not hiring enough women.  One of our smart ass jailers started putting police applications in the female in-custody property bags when they were being released.  HR got a 25% increase in female applicants and was rejecting 99% of those.  The Chief told city council it was HR's fault for turning down applicant prior to processing.  We never heard another word about it from HR.

True story.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#44]
If they stopped committing crimes and wanted jobs they wouldn't be able to complain about being sent to prison or not getting jobs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#46]
This is pretty much a representation of ALL LE across the nation.  
Maybe its not the police's fault after all....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Clearly part of the community isn't drawn to police work.  If it ain't your thing, it ain't your thing.  Don't force it, bra.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here come the lowered hiring standards and AA hires.

"Me fail hiring exam? That's unpossible."
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The answer is more blacks in uniform but in a different role...meaning they don't have the full authority of police officers and don't have to meet the same standards.  They will partner with the officers, always the white ones, and act as bi-lingual, bi-cultural advisors.  Their job is to help the white officer gain full situational awareness in  the ghetto environment and help diffuse situations that may lead to questionable arrests.  Their presence will assure the black community leaders that there is over watch on the white power structure and the white management benefits by a black eyewitness to the white officers' actions confirming the officers' reports.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe this is actually spot-on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Portland

View Quote

Yup that place sucks. F the city life.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top