BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one, they said no proof that I paid. Fuck that shop. The new owner is a ret CW5 from the 160th
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I buy two cans from a dealer in TN. The owner sales the shop. I am still waiting for my cans. New owner says there is no proof I bought said cans and too bad so sad. that cost me about 1400 dollars.

No receipt?

I have one, they said no proof that I paid. Fuck that shop. The new owner is a ret CW5 from the 160th

Can't you show a credit card / bank transaction confirmation?  Unless you paid cash...

This is why I would never ever ever pay cash for any firearm or expensive accessory.

Ever.

ETA:  what about the form 4 application?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah that's nuts man. I've never been to a gun store where they asked to do a background check just to step inside and look at the guns. And with a CHL there is no need for a background check at all even when purchasing. I would have just said well ok bye. Spend your money elsewhere to the people that give good customer service and deserve your hard earned money.  
View Quote

I don't know if you know this, but your CHL don't magically disintegrate when you do something to get it revoked.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Read his other posts, then the bs flag will fly up on its own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their business, their rules lol.       Just out of curiosity, are they still in business?   Maybe they cater to a certain clientele $$$$$?

yeah, their rules...i get that...

yes they are still in business and I am one of the clientele's with $$$$ to spend, up until about a year or so ago I was spending upwards of 10k-15k a year on firearms and ammo...That particular day I was ready to drop 5k.

there is a shop in dallas like that, but they sell shotguns that cost about 100K. I am sorry 10-15K on gun stuff a year really isn't that much

umm what? So if I make 50k a year, have a mortage, wife and kid to pay for. How the hell could I spend that much? 10k is A LOT for most people.
O I'm sorry I forgot GD is full of millionaires  

Read his other posts, then the bs flag will fly up on its own.

TurbineGuy, you calling BS on my post? If so, why
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#4]
LGS that advertises they do transfers and then refused to do a transfer for me because "We sell that gun, you should buy it from us". (For $750 instead of $503)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can't you show a credit card / bank transaction confirmation?  Unless you paid cash...

This is why I would never ever ever pay cash for any firearm or expensive accessory.

Ever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I buy two cans from a dealer in TN. The owner sales the shop. I am still waiting for my cans. New owner says there is no proof I bought said cans and too bad so sad. that cost me about 1400 dollars.

No receipt?

Ever.

Long story short. I sold my M16 lower for 10K, this was back in 08. I wanted to get a few things from the shop, I got an AR15, 1911 and a can for each. The shop cut me a check with an itemised receipt for everything. I got a check for about 5500. The 1911 was sent to my FFL that day. The AR was still being built, I told them to save on shipping just wait until the form 3s are approved and ship it in one shipment. A few weeks later the owner sells this share in the shop to his friend. I call and ask about the AR and the two cans. I am told that their system crashed and they lost all the paper work on pending sales. I say, ok let me send you a copy of the receipt. I send it to them and they say I never paid for the cans since it wasn't marked paid. I file a claim with the TN AG and they sided with the gunshop. I did end up getting the AR about a year later after I drove 8 hours and wouldn't leave until I got it. It was marked in their books that it was mine and paid for but the can's not so much.

I know for a fact the cans where paid for and maked for me, as I was the one that put the paper work around the cans in the safe and sent the form 3s in to the ATF for the transfer to my SOT in FL.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#6]
why anyone would go to a LGS and put up with crummy prices, old fudds and ass hattery is beyond me, its a factory new gun in a box.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My worst experience has been at Cabela's, several times. Their process is tedious, and as far as I can tell they make you wait for no reason, other than their incompetence.  Sometimes I suspect they secretly work for the gun control crowd because they make it so tedious to buy a gun (not really, but seriously I find it ridiculous).  

I waited four hours the longest time, and I have a CHL, but they still made me wait in line with the guys that needed a NICs check before pickup.  Most of the time they were just standing around doing nothing.  And then they tried to keep one of the mags that came with the gun (C93) from me "must have fell out of the box".  But they miraculously "Found it" in the back when I insisted. Yeah right, those HK mags cost $80 each and the sales guys knew it. They also "lost" the Bayonet that was supposed to come with. I never got that. My regular FFL it takes me about 15 minutes from the time I walk in the door and plop down my CHL.

I will not buy another firearm at Cabela's.  
View Quote

I visited my nearest Cabela's exactly once.  Took an hour of patiently waiting to get to the counter and then be told by the clerk that if what I wanted wasn't on display they couldn't be bothered to order it for me.

Never going to deal with the company again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
P
Quoted:

Long story short. I sold my M16 lower for 10K, this was back in 08. I wanted to get a few things from the shop, I got an AR15, 1911 and a can for each. The shop cut me a check with an itemised receipt for everything. I got a check for about 5500. The 1911 was sent to my FFL that day. The AR was still being built, I told them to save on shipping just wait until the form 3s are approved and ship it in one shipment. A few weeks later the owner sells this share in the shop to his friend. I call and ask about the AR and the two cans. I am told that their system crashed and they lost all the paper work on pending sales. I say, ok let me send you a copy of the receipt. I send it to them and they say I never paid for the cans since it wasn't marked paid. I file a claim with the TN AG and they sided with the gunshop. I did end up getting the AR about a year later after I drove 8 hours and wouldn't leave until I got it. It was marked in their books that it was mine and paid for but the can's not so much.

I know for a fact the cans where paid for and maked for me, as I was the one that put the paper work around the cans in the safe and sent the form 3s in to the ATF for the transfer to my SOT in FL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No receipt?

Ever.

That makes more sense after reading your other posts.

But I'd personally still be perusing the matter since there is the potential of having NFA items out there with my name attached to them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Not the worst, but I want to bitch about Gander Mountain today. I went in about this time last year looking for a ambi type sling adapter. Gander Mountain head gun guy: "we don't sell any nonsense like that, we only sell stuff that is actually useful."
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing worse other than the usual gruff and standoffish owner.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Russian capture K98s were fairly readily available in the $400-500 range up until a year or two ago, but correct, matching K98s have been in the $600+ vicinity for at least the last five or six years.  Non-import documented bringbacks are $1000+ if they're in any sort of decent shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not uncommon.

Maybe a sniper model?

K98 snipers are in the several thousand dollar range.

Holy shit have prices gone through the roof.

I got my K98 for about $150 20 years ago and sniper models were only about............well I don't really remember.

IIRC, my K98 is a Brno manufactured model.

I got a full length Brazilian 7mm Mauser that is in very good condition for about $160 back then also...........I wonder how much that is worth.  It was made around 1910-1920 IIRC and is in extremely good condition.

Russian capture K98s were fairly readily available in the $400-500 range up until a year or two ago, but correct, matching K98s have been in the $600+ vicinity for at least the last five or six years.  Non-import documented bringbacks are $1000+ if they're in any sort of decent shape.

Jackson Armory near Dallas, TX has non import mix match K98s for $2000. Nothing important about them. Stocks are meh.

I bought a nice K98 from them a couple years for $350

I'll never buy anything from them again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wtf?  What's the shop?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
My wifes aunt went to buy a 357 to keep at the house at our LGS. She made some kind of stupid mistake filling out the 4473 and instead of just starting a new form, the dude tells her she has to wait 30days before he can do another one for her. I guess another employee overheard, came over and gave her another 4473 to fill out.

Also, saw a pawn shop in Texas that wanted $900 for a Mosin with a cheap scope on it, and some outrageous amount for a mosin carbine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But I'd personally still be perusing the matter since there is the potential of having NFA items out there with my name attached to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can't get blood from a rock

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?  What's the shop?

Hero-gear
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nothing worse other than the usual gruff and standoffish owner.
View Quote

Yup.

Found one @ Gun World in Hilliard, Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Walked into a shop looking for an M1A. Nothing fancy, just the standard walnut model. Anyway, I see one in the rack behind the counter, and ask to look at it. Wasn't trying to be picky, but I was hoping to find one that didn't have big gaps between the receiver and stock. I figured if I was going to drop that kind of money, I should look at a couple first, just to be sure. The old prick behind the counter eyeballs me, eyeballs the rifle, and proceeds to say "son, you don't look at a gun like that, you just buy it".  So, I tell him "well, had you not given me the attitude that you're the only game in town, which you aren't, I planned on buy both of them". He apparently didn't realize he had two in stock. One simple, arrogant sentence cost him right around $3000 that day. His loss.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe a sniper model?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not uncommon.

Maybe a sniper model?

A proper matching K98 sniper goes anywhere from 5k to 12k depending on optics, mount and markings.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Most popular gun shop near where I grew up had the worst staff I've ever encountered in a retail establishment.

You'd walk in, stand at the counter, and they'd ignore you. When you finally asked for help, they gave you an attitude, like you were bothering them and they were doing you a favor by waiting on you.

Went in a few times, bought ammo there once, and then just said "Screw them" and never set foot in the place again.

Odd thing was, they'd been there for decades... no idea how they stayed in business so long. Everyone I knew had the same experience there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No receipt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No receipt?

Wouldn't there at least be a Form 4 floating around the ATF with you listed as the Transferee and them listed as the Transferor?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Most popular gun shop near where I grew up had the worst staff I've ever encountered in a retail establishment.

You'd walk in, stand at the counter, and they'd ignore you. When you finally asked for help, they gave you an attitude, like you were bothering them and they were doing you a favor by waiting on you.

Went in a few times, bought ammo there once, and then just said "Screw them" and never set foot in the place again.

Odd thing was, they'd been there for decades... no idea how they stayed in business so long. Everyone I knew had the same experience there.
View Quote

I know exactly who you are talking about. Thankfully they're out of business now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Always try to read some of the reviews and look at what people say about the shop
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#22]
OP I do understand their shop their rules but that's like going to a dealership and them making you getting your credit checked before you drive the car. I do understand by appointment only to an extent but appointment FFLs should only be applied to: FFL holder is a hobby and not main job or regular business hours couldn't help the customer.

Too many bad impressions to allow for bad stories. One shop in town still thinks its a panic and selling AK surplus mags for $80
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Back in early 2008, I stopped by a gun shop in Trussville, AL.  I mentioned something about Hillary Clinton, and how she would probably try to grab our guns if she were elected president.  
The sales guy started cursing (at me), and telling me that he wasn't afraid of Hillary Clinton or anyone else.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hero-gear
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?  What's the shop?

Hero-gear

Ah, well it makes a little sense now.  Fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
This.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No receipt?

Are the forms still in process?  

What happens if you get both stamps and the dealer refuses to give you your cans?

Yeah, I'd call the ATF. Once you have those stamps...or the stamps are issued, those are yours. The dealer is either a complete moron, or trying to pull something really shady.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#26]
The only "bad" thing that has ever happened to me is one of the employees of the pawn shop kept arguing with me telling me that my address and parish were incorrect, even when I showed him my driver's license.  He would not call in the NICs because it would get denied.  Another employee who knew me grabbed the form and told him to shut up while he called it in.

I live in the city limits of one town, yet my mailing address is a city several miles away.  The city of my mailing address is in a different parish than where I actually live.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I went in a local shop I had heard about, different than the other stores I usually go to. It's a pretty large place, there's an L shaped glass display case against the back wall and one of the side walls with handguns, and behind that the wall lined with long guns. The middle of the store was hunting stuff, cleaning supplies, safes, stuff like that. One guy working there, nobody else in the store. He's at the far end of the counter. Doesn't say hello when I walk in. I am walking up and down past all the guns, waiting to see if he comes over. Only once I walk right up to him does he finally acknowledge my presence, and just says, "I'm busy let me know if you want to see anything". I was torn on my first handgun purchase between a G19 and an M&P 9c. So I ask to see the glock first. It's at the other end away from where he was doing paperwork. He takes it out of the case, locks the slide back, then goes back to his papers, now out of sight of me. Seriously? You don't know me, and you leave me unattended with a firearm out of sight? Ok, I walk back to him and ask to see the smith, I want to compare the 2. Repeats the same process. Now, he goes into the back room to get something. This would've been a perfect opportunity for me to acquire a throw away gun, but my morals wouldn't do that. I end up calling into the back room "See ya" and left, leaving both guns on the counter.

Besides the obvious problem of not paying attention to potential clients, and leaving your firearms unattended with a stranger, I see several problems here. When he went in the back, what happens if someone else were to walk in just as I was walking out? 2 handguns sitting out on a counter. Next guy could've pocketed one and said maybe I took it. Or, just taken one and left, leaving the owner to figure it was me who took it. Just seemed like the guy was asking to have something stolen from him. That puts a weapon in the hands of a potential criminal, while we aren't allowed to carry concealed here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#28]
During the height of the recent gun ban craze I walked into a small gun shop to purchase a few pmags. There was a 2 magazine limit per person, so I grabbed two and went to the counter. The salesman behind the counter walks up and says "You had your dad and girlfriend in here earlier buying the same shit for you, im not selling you a thing."  I informed him that I had no clue what he was talking about and continued to pull out my wallet to pay for my magazines. He goes off how I am selling them online to make money. I told him to screw off and got a manager. After that day I made it a point to come in every day and buy my limit of pmags or 223 ammo just to piss the guy off for the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I visited my nearest Cabela's exactly once.  Took an hour of patiently waiting to get to the counter and then be told by the clerk that if what I wanted wasn't on display they couldn't be bothered to order it for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My worst experience has been at Cabela's, several times. Their process is tedious, and as far as I can tell they make you wait for no reason, other than their incompetence.  Sometimes I suspect they secretly work for the gun control crowd because they make it so tedious to buy a gun (not really, but seriously I find it ridiculous).  

I waited four hours the longest time, and I have a CHL, but they still made me wait in line with the guys that needed a NICs check before pickup.  Most of the time they were just standing around doing nothing.  And then they tried to keep one of the mags that came with the gun (C93) from me "must have fell out of the box".  But they miraculously "Found it" in the back when I insisted. Yeah right, those HK mags cost $80 each and the sales guys knew it. They also "lost" the Bayonet that was supposed to come with. I never got that. My regular FFL it takes me about 15 minutes from the time I walk in the door and plop down my CHL.

I will not buy another firearm at Cabela's.  

weird, the cabelas i visit are pretty friendly and if they acted like an ahole there is a real manager and corporate ladder to complain to, not old JIM who sits around all day with the other asshats...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Years ago, when I was living in Palm Beach, FL, I made an impulse decision to sign up for an Appleseed that was going to take place in February.  Problem was, I didn't have any kind of autoloading rifle to take the class with. I had about three weeks to get ready.  I figured I'd just do what they said to do - find a 10-22, upgrade it to the Tech sights, and buy a couple spare magazines.  First place I went to was a LGS that had been in business for years.  Walking in, the wine-barrel-shaped gentleman behind the counter gave me the "I ain't never seen you around here before" stink eye.  I told him I was looking for a 10-22, and his reply was, "You're too late.  We sold out of them for Christmas."  

Keep in mind that this event took place the first week of February.

I asked him if he was going to get any in the near future, and he just said he has no way of knowing if they've even been ordered, much less if they're planning on getting any in.  I said, "Oh."  I asked him if he had ANY ten-round autoloaders that would work for an Appleseed, then I had to explain what exactly an Appleseed was.  He told me that he had no 10-round rifles in stock.  Looking up at his rifle rack, I saw a couple SKS's so I asked him how much he wanted for them.  One was totally Tapco-fucked.  Black plastic stock, crappy scope mount with a crappy scope, bipod.  He pulled it down, and I said, "No, I'm not interested in that one.  I want to see the one that's not all messed with."  It had a nice laminated stock, looked really nice.

He acted all offended.  "You don't want that one!  That's a military rifle!"  

I just said, "You really don't want to sell me shit, do you?"  

Another time, when the M&P line was first coming out, I stopped in and asked him about them.  He had a sample in his case, but wouldn't let me hold it because "they're not for sale yet."  I asked him how much they would be priced and he said, "Somewhere in the low sixes to low sevens.  I'm not sure yet."  

The last time I set foot in his store, I only stopped in to see if he had any Kydex holster belt clips.  I knew they were a Fobus dealer.  I had an IWB leather holster that I wanted to try out different styles of belt clips on.  He didn't know what "kydex" was.  I said, "You know - the black plastic stuff that plastic holsters are made out of."  He shook his head, and said he didn't know what I was talking about.  I lifted up my shirt and showed him my CCW; tapped the plastic belt clip.  "Like this thing right here!"  

"Naw, we don't carry any of that here."

"Okay, bye."
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Besides the obvious problem of not paying attention to potential clients, and leaving your firearms unattended with a stranger, I see several problems here. When he went in the back, what happens if someone else were to walk in just as I was walking out? 2 handguns sitting out on a counter. Next guy could've pocketed one and said maybe I took it. Or, just taken one and left, leaving the owner to figure it was me who took it. Just seemed like the guy was asking to have something stolen from him. That puts a weapon in the hands of a potential criminal, while we aren't allowed to carry concealed here.
View Quote

Cameras, bro.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
whats your worst gunshop experience?

Here is mine..

New shop near me opened up a year or two ago and hours were appt only.   Ok...I set up an appt, and actually took time off work to go down there..Had several thousand set aside to spend on firearms and was more than willing to spend it all that day.  Specifcally was looking for a new AR, and a new shotgun...and if I saw something that interested me possibly a new handgun as well.

The day of the appt rolls around, and I go to the shop.  Step inside, and there is a waiting area with a big boobed receptionist.

She informs me that part of doing business there is a background check...and has me fill out a form 4473.    (yes, I know I should have walked at that point).

After about 5 minutes of waiting, the sales guy comes out and takes me to the back office area, sits me down and starts asking me what I am looking for.  I basically tell him Im looking for a new AR, a shotgun, and possibly a pistol...and had some general ideas of what I wanted but wanted to browse their inventory.  

The guy says "sorry thats not allowed"   "no one sees our inventory on the first visit until we run a background check on them and chat with them first"...

" But I have a concealed carry license, surely that is proof enough that Im an ok guy ", says I.

"Sorry but thats not allowed"...you will have to wait until the background check is complete and than we can set up another appt and let you into the showroom...

at that point i walked out...
View Quote

Wow, that's one of the more bizarre gunshop stories I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe a sniper model?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not uncommon.

Maybe a sniper model?

Not hardly...nice all matching examples regularly (and stupidly IMHO) hit $2k + on Gunbroker...sucks, but there it is...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't remember any absolute nightmares...but I recently had one where I seriously questioned the CS, I walked in a pretty big shop near me, not really looking for anything in particular, I seen in one of the handgun cases what they described as a NIB Gen4 17 for $479?? Of course I am interested but I can't help but wonder why all the other Gen4s just a couple cases down are $549?? So I asked the salesman is there anything wrong with this gun?? Missing mags?? No box?? Basically why is it so much cheaper than the others?? He had no answer and refused to go back and asked the manager if there was any info on the gun, he finally relented and went back and brought out his manager who told me they got in unfired on a trade and priced it for a quick sale, I told him that's all I needed to know and bought it, couldn't understand why it was so difficult for the other guy to simply do a tiny bit of digging.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

umm what? So if I make 50k a year, have a mortage, wife and kid to pay for. How the hell could I spend that much? 10k is A LOT for most people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their business, their rules lol.       Just out of curiosity, are they still in business?   Maybe they cater to a certain clientele $$$$$?

yes they are still in business and I am one of the clientele's with $$$$ to spend, up until about a year or so ago I was spending upwards of 10k-15k a year on firearms and ammo...That particular day I was ready to drop 5k.

there is a shop in dallas like that, but they sell shotguns that cost about 100K. I am sorry 10-15K on gun stuff a year really isn't that much

Millionaires who date supermodels.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Let me make my post very clear...

I'm not talking about a Russian captured K98...With Electric penciled numbers....

I am talking about Non import marked WW2 Vet bring backs...With matching bolt #'s and stock numbers...

The Germans were obsessed with marking every part of their rifles...

If you are serious about collecting WW2 K98's....

Pick up a copy of "Backbone of the Wehrmacht"  by the author...Richard D. Law...

It's an expensive book...But if you are going to drop over a grand on a war relic...It pays for it's self....

I have used this book extensively in my searches for Matching K98's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$900.00 for a complete all matching WW2 K98 is a good price in today's market...

I have 4 of them...But I paid much less than that for them... I have been collecting for a very long time.

Those rifles just continue to go up in value every year!  

Wow!!

Learn something everyday.

Let me make my post very clear...

I'm not talking about a Russian captured K98...With Electric penciled numbers....

I am talking about Non import marked WW2 Vet bring backs...With matching bolt #'s and stock numbers...

The Germans were obsessed with marking every part of their rifles...

If you are serious about collecting WW2 K98's....

Pick up a copy of "Backbone of the Wehrmacht"  by the author...Richard D. Law...

It's an expensive book...But if you are going to drop over a grand on a war relic...It pays for it's self....

I have used this book extensively in my searches for Matching K98's.

BOTW was a great book in the day, but it is outdated, and actually has more than a few fakes in it...the data is based on just a few collections, and some year/maker data sheets are based on less than three observed examples.

Its a good overview, and usefull, but no longer considered gospel. Look for "Kriegsmodell" and "Karabiner 98k Vol. I" by Bruce Karam and Mike Steves for two volumes of what will ultimately be the holt trinity of 98k books...Vol. II will be out in 2015...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

he never did the form 3s. Yes, I could sue for it, but not worth my time. Even the old owner said I paid for them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No receipt?

What happens if you get both stamps and the dealer refuses to give you your cans?

he never did the form 3s. Yes, I could sue for it, but not worth my time. Even the old owner said I paid for them

You must be one rich dude to walk away from $1,400.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'd call the ATF. Once you have those stamps...or the stamps are issued, those are yours. The dealer is either a complete moron, or trying to pull something really shady.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No receipt?

You're wrong. Approved Form 4's are mailed to the transferor, not the transferee, so he wouldn't have those stamps, the seller would. And, even if BATFE NFA Branch approves a transfer, the transferor isn't mandated to transfer them. The transferor can simply write NFA Branch a letter, stating that the transfer never occurred, and requesting a refund of the tax to whomever paid it. BATFE takes the position that a situation such a 2003ZM's is a civil matter, not a regulatory matter under the purview of BATFE.

Now, is the situation 2003ZM finds himself ethical on the seller's part? No. The dealer should have transferred the cans, particularly if the previous owner states that they were paid-in-full. Normally, a dealer refusing to complete a transfer once the Form 4 is done because either the seller didn't pay in full (a common practice with expensive MG's), or the dealer has learned that the buyer is a prohibited person (maybe they beat the crap out of their wife the night before picking up the item).
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't know if you know this, but your CHL don't magically disintegrate when you do something to get it revoked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah that's nuts man. I've never been to a gun store where they asked to do a background check just to step inside and look at the guns. And with a CHL there is no need for a background check at all even when purchasing. I would have just said well ok bye. Spend your money elsewhere to the people that give good customer service and deserve your hard earned money.  

What is your point ? I realize if you do something to get it revoked you could still possess your card, but that card does qualify as exempt from NICS in many states.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Dude looked down his nose and said, "I don't shoot M855, I only shoot Hornady!"
not to me, to another dude looking to buy 500 round box. I nearly choked laughing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
During the height of the recent gun ban craze I walked into a small gun shop to purchase a few pmags. There was a 2 magazine limit per person, so I grabbed two and went to the counter. The salesman behind the counter walks up and says "You had your dad and girlfriend in here earlier buying the same shit for you, im not selling you a thing."  I informed him that I had no clue what he was talking about and continued to pull out my wallet to pay for my magazines. He goes off how I am selling them online to make money. I told him to screw off and got a manager. After that day I made it a point to come in every day and buy my limit of pmags or 223 ammo just to piss the guy off for the next few weeks.
View Quote

Sounds like their plan to get you to buy more worked.,,
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The only "bad" thing that has ever happened to me is one of the employees of the pawn shop kept arguing with me telling me that my address and parish were incorrect, even when I showed him my driver's license.  He would not call in the NICs because it would get denied.  Another employee who knew me grabbed the form and told him to shut up while he called it in.

I live in the city limits of one town, yet my mailing address is a city several miles away.  The city of my mailing address is in a different parish than where I actually live.  
View Quote

It's like that out here. We live in one county and our post office is about 2 towns away. The old rural route got taken over by another rural route carrier some 30 years ago and when they merged everything our post office got all the rural routes.......drives "city folk" crazy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#43]
A shop wanted to run your background and filled out a 4473 but didn't have a gun to go along with the paperwork ?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I was talking to two counter guys about my S&W 19-3.
Thing looks brand new, in the original box, target grips(1/3 T's) extremely tight lock up, pinned+recessed. It was never shot/handled much.
Then they went on to tell me it was made in the early 90's and new smith and Wesson revolvers are pinned/recessed instead of threaded...and the new ones have the firing pin on the hammer
Said it would be rated at 75% condition and the lock up is loose (after dry firing it about 20 times)
Told me id probably get $250 on gunbroker for it.
I laughed at the extreme amount of bullshit they fed me, considering I did my homework on the gun before I got it.

And this is one of New Hampshires premier shops.

I then began asking about Arsenal AK's. Their reply was "why would you want one of those pieces of shit guns"
Oh and Gemtech / AAC are garbage according them.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#45]
keep an eye your Identity and credit history.  Someone runs a NICS background check on you with no purchase then you become suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I guess I'm lucky in that Ive never had a bad experience at a LGS or a gun show.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#47]
5 years ago at Shooter's Station in Conroe. I was new to guns so I went in the store hoping to purchase some firearms I had read up about.
At the counter is an extremely fat, rude neckbeard of a man, does not say hi or anything. I look over the inventory and spot some AR-15's, and I ask him if he considers them to be good rifles/if one is better than the other and he says "I'm not going to tell you what guns I own"
Okay??? I'll ignore that. I eventually look over some handguns and spot a decently priced SA 1911 and ask him "do you have any experience with the 1911, I'm considering getting it or a Glock" again he says "look bud I ain't gonna tell you what kinda guns I own." I told him he had the wrong idea, but he didn't seem to care. He was extremely unhelpful, rude, standoffish and downright an asshole. Last time I ever went there
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Owners followed by customers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:02:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Owners followed by customers.
View Quote

Well that pretty well covers the gambit.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So you are a customer there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are a customer there?

no...what I mean is Im a guy with money to spend on firearms but I won't spend it there due to their business model and the fact I was turned away from buying anything on my initial visit.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top