Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Marines who are unfamiliar with page 2
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The M39 EMR pretty much is an obscure weapon in the Marines, Recon had some for a while, but they were all sent to Albany than they were dusted off an given to units that needed Mk12s but there were not enough Mk12s available.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would wager that 80% of the Marines I sell guns/parts to at work don't know what the fuck they're talking about.
View Quote

I would agree.  I went to the Parris Island Exchange gun shop often the past 6 or so years....it was comical to listen to some of the shit.  No fucking clue.  

No big deal as it gets them interested in shooting and firearms ownership...but I agree that most do not have a clue on the topic.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My dad went to Vietnam twice as a Marine (63 and 64). He told me as a kid that he had had his fill of guns in the Marines. He kept a 20 gauge for home defense, but other than that he didn't shoot for fun.

He did however take the time to teach me.  He took me bird hunting and bought me a .22 when he thought i was old enough. He even suggested a summer business, which I set up. For a fee I would pick up the rich Atlanta Fudd hunter's deer rifles, take them to the range, and sight them in.  I made a nice, tidy sum that summer and got to shoot some pretty sweet bolt guns.
View Quote

That's is an aswesome idea.  A better version of dogwalking.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My brother was a Marine. We were raised shooting from the time we could hold a gun. After he got out he went to college and ended up becoming a college professor that would give me shit about my guns and the evil that they cause. My dad gave me and my siblings all of his guns a couple years ago. Me and my other brother were happy to have them, but my former Marine brother told my dad to sell his and give him the money instead.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
we have a few at work... one did a few tours, typical type A dooshy type... brags about his $900 used/botac'd rifle, when he was in the market I showed him how to build one and find parts, could have easily put one together for $500.. nope... his wife was asking me about ammo, types and how to find it... did she go with my rec's? nope... I have ammo, they dont... lead a horse to water and all that

the other guy is a legit BTDT Ranger, confirmed, just isnt up on guns etc... the way he talks it sounds like they just heard some misnomers and ran with them in their squad. Im sure he knows his way around a rifle and such... just sounds like a dingbat sometimes... good guy though
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Marine infantry, took me a sec to realize what gun but our DM's carried them I believe. Other than that we didn't see many of those.

I can't think of their names but we got more modern rifles one carried in 5.56 and the other in 7.62
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My dad went to Vietnam twice as a Marine (63 and 64). He told me as a kid that he had had his fill of guns in the Marines. He kept a 20 gauge for home defense, but other than that he didn't shoot for fun.

View Quote

My dad is a Vietnam vet and spend 20 years in law enforcement. First time I ever held, much less shot a real gun was when I was 16.

Two things my dad has never liked, guns and camping. Had his fill of both in SE Asia. He isn't anti gun politically, just doesn't have any interest in them.  

My brother and I convinced him to go shooting with us once. He ran a mag from my AR, handed it to me and said "thanks but I never want to do that again". Too many memories I guess.
He won't go anywhere near an AK or Mosin Nagant.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was in recruit training at MCRD my M-14's name was Margaret.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on his MOS

In his defense, I have never seen Marines with EBRs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I work as a Range officer at a fairly good size range.

Occasionally we get the "former" Marine that claims he learned all about weapons in the Corps and is a crack pot shot because the Corps taught him.  That is very seldom the case.  The last one I remembered had bought a new AR and and didn't even bother to lube it up and couldn't figure out why it jammed on him.  

Of course we also get former servicemen from the other other branches that they don't know as much about shooting as they thought they remembered.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I know an Army sniper who didn't know what an SR 25 was until I told him about mine. I was kind of surprised at first but didn't think it was that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Lee Harvey Oswald-a gun nut would have sprung for the Model 1917 or at least the Enfield sporter.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Marines, just like any other population, are not monolithic in their personalities and beliefs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many former Marines do you see out and about that are fat and out of shape? At one time in their lives they had to meet a certain standard, now no one is making them do that. Same thing applies.

http://terminallance.com/media/comics/2014-09-05-Strip_343_Anatomy_of_a_Veteran_web.gif  

Dammit. That looks like me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I know of two former Marines who both love Obama, have voted for Obama twice, and are both 100% for gun control  Both are legit, definitely served their time and were honorably discharged.  One of them was deployed to Iraq for at least one tour.  World is a big place, and it's full of all sorts of people.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many former Marines do you see out and about that are fat and out of shape? At one time in their lives they had to meet a certain standard, now no one is making them do that. Same thing applies.

http://terminallance.com/media/comics/2014-09-05-Strip_343_Anatomy_of_a_Veteran_web.gif  

Looks like me, except with cargo pocket shorts
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Joined in 2010 and went to Iraq

Not saying it isn't possible, but just well after most units were going. 3 months boot camp, 1 month MCT, 1 month MOS would put him hitting the fleet around 2011. That time frame just about everyone was going to Afghanistan. My buddy was with 3/9 when they did a 3 month tour to Iraq and came home in 2009.

Not calling him out just saying.
View Quote

This is what I was thinking. I was in Iraq all of 2010 during my last deployment there. In fact. I left to come home on dec 23 2010. It wasn't long after that everyone else came home, for good. I have a feeling a little marine may be lying, unless he went to boot camp in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I was once stationed at a Reserve unit and went 4 years never firing a military firearm. I counted I few. We transitioned from M16a1's to the M16a2's.

His MOS was likely Pogue of some sort, as was mine.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Had a buddy get busted for like 3 DUIs and the judge told him jailtime or go into the service. He chose Marines, and was a 50 gunner on a humvee.

I talked to him some after he got out and he knew a lot about the weapons he used but just wasn't a gun guy and knew hardly nothing about any other type of gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Not really sure what this thread is accomplishing but here is my take on the Corps.

Boot camp is history lessons, physical training and marksmanship.

There are those that go through MCT or those that go through SOI.

That's the divisive part of the Corps.

Even after that there is the factor of the human mind, choice is freedom.

He'll I have 3rd award expert rifle by the Marine Corps, but today in my late age people who I have brought into the realm shoot better than me.

I don't know what that rifle is, well other than this thread but never have shot it.

Life, we get replaced and we appreciate the replacements. I hope some of you have children that become Marines.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#22]
In my town, we have two state representatives, one is a "Iraq" marine officer.  He doesn't like civilians owning guns.  He even testified against gun ownership durning the house debates last year.

I sat down this this rep last year, one on one.  He talked as if he had no clue about weapons.  He told me while in Iraq he kept his 20rd mags loaded to 18rds to avoid ruining the mag.  He didn't even know the capacity of a M9 magazine.  Yet when testified, he all of a sudden knew everything.

After talking to some local marines, there are some questions about this marine's credentials.  Nobody has called him out on his service or his claim of having served in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know way too many Fudds who also happen to be discharged Jarheads...
I will never understand it.  I could not wait to get my own AR when I got out..
View Quote

Not a marine, but after attending the FT. Leonard Wood school for wayward boys back in 90, I wanted nothing to do with an AR. We were issued Vietnam era M16A1s in basic that, well, were 20 + year old pieces of shit. And the mags. Wow. Every mag I ever laid hands in either in basic or in the NG looked like it had been used to beat Ho Chi Min to death with

After getting married and buying a house, I had a few shekels to buy a couple guns. I bought Mini-14s. They worked, reliability wise. Right before I got out my unit got brand new M16A2s and the difference was night and day. Sold the Minis, bought and built ARs ever since.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#24]
When I was in, I was a legit gun nut and I was def in the minority.  

One contributingvfactor to keep in mind...it is an expensive hobby and you don't make shit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Ex's little brother is one of these.
He strikes me as a big pussy.  He is a lawyer too.

I have zero respect for him.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Worked with a Marine in Bosnia that couldn't hit water with the M9 or the M16 if he fell out of a boat.  I don't know (and don't want to know) how they got him qualified.

He was a running motherfucker though.  Did our mile "qualification" run in 5:15 in street clothes and never took the cigarette out of his mouth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How common are Marines who are unfamiliar with guns? What about Marines who simply don't like guns or want nothing to do with them (not counting those who relate bad memories/experiences with guns)?

E.G.: My friend's dating a Marine, active from 2010-14 and says he went to Afghan once and to Iraq once. He doesn't know what type of gun this is nor has ever seen one:

http://immortaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/EMR_1.jpg

He wants nothing to do with guns and never talks about the military or his service. He also doesn't strike me as a low-key, I've-seen-some-shit-and-don't-want-to-talk-about-it type either. Everything about him seems off. Maybe it is common and I just haven't had the pleasure to meet a Marine like that. I guess I'll find out after posting this.
View Quote

I've met several people in the military, Marines included who are anti-gun.  My mothers previous husband was a Marine who served in Vietnam and he didn't like guns either (not sure if actually anti) and ended up hating the color green.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Worked with a Marine in Bosnia that couldn't hit water with the M9 or the M16 if he fell out of a boat.  I don't know (and don't want to know) how they got him qualified.

He was a running motherfucker though.  Did our mile "qualification" run in 5:15 in street clothes and never took the cigarette out of his mouth.
View Quote

That's funny my roommate and I at Camp LeJeune stopped at the half way marker on the 3 mile run, had a smoke and still qualified under 22 minutes.

But we ran a lot.

ETA - when you go from dry air of California to breathing through a wet blanket of NC it takes some getting use to. I'm sure some of you see that as normal but it wasn't for me. To this day I still remember days in NC that felt like I could chew a piece of air.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I know one gunny who is afraid of cats
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some guys use guns for work and don't get all into the hobby of it.  They use them and are very proficient with them, but don't care to know the make/model of every gun made.
View Quote

some i've met don't know their ass from an M2, but they didnt need to.

I won't listen to them about guns, but i thank them for their service and move on with the bbq. It just reinforces my belief that just because somebody was military, doesnt mean anyone should listen to them about anything gun related ont hat basis alone.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How common are Marines who are unfamiliar with guns? What about Marines who simply don't like guns or want nothing to do with them (not counting those who relate bad memories/experiences with guns)?

E.G.: My friend's dating a Marine, active from 2010-14 and says he went to Afghan once and to Iraq once. He doesn't know what type of gun this is nor has ever seen one:

http://immortaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/EMR_1.jpg

He wants nothing to do with guns and never talks about the military or his service. He also doesn't strike me as a low-key, I've-seen-some-shit-and-don't-want-to-talk-about-it type either. Everything about him seems off. Maybe it is common and I just haven't had the pleasure to meet a Marine like that. I guess I'll find out after posting this.
View Quote

Those are Army personnel with EBR's.  The Marines use the M39 EMR.  Very, very,  similar except for little details no one gives a shit about unless you're a guy like me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The M39 EMR pretty much is an obscure weapon in the Marines, Recon had some for a while, but they were all sent to Albany than they were dusted off an given to units that needed Mk12s but there were not enough Mk12s available.
View Quote

A Marine has to complete the Designated Marksman course to be issued an M39 EMR (Enhanced Marksman Rifle), usually only for deployments.  (per my son on active duty)

I spent 2Oyrs and some change as an active duty Marine and most Devil Dogs don't have anything against guns but you will run into a few who are anti 2nd amendment, very few.

Even some Marines who aren't "gun guys"  will not turn down a chance to go burn some free ammo on a fam fire especially if it's belt fed.

Being an aviation Marine annual qual was the only way I'd see a weapon except monthly cleaning.  I have been an active collector and shooter since before entering the Corps so I associated with other gun loving Marines.  When I was a young LCpl our SgtMaj found out I had just bought a Garand and sent word to bring it to his office where I was taught the Marine way of field stripping and even some manual of arms.
Since I competed in USPSA Single Stack I eventually found myself on the command shooting team and participating in the Competition in Arms Program.  This led to being volunteered as Marksmanship/small arms instructor guru which just broke my heart, dang more range time.    I even was an auxiliary MP for two years and got more range time that way.

I miss free ammo

Ramblings from and Old Marine
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A Marine has to complete the Designated Marksman course to be issued an M39 EMR (Enhanced Marksman Rifle), usually only for deployments.  (per my son on active duty)

I spent 2Oyrs and some change as an active duty Marine and most Devil Dogs don't have anything against guns but you will run into a few who are anti 2nd amendment, very few.

Even some Marines who aren't "gun guys"  will not turn down a chance to go burn some free ammo on a fam fire especially if it's belt fed.

Being an aviation Marine annual qual was the only way I'd see a weapon except monthly cleaning.  I have been an active collector and shooter since before entering the Corps so I associated with other gun loving Marines.  When I was a young LCpl our SgtMaj found out I had just bought a Garand and sent word to bring it to his office where I was taught the Marine way of field stripping and even some manual of arms.
Since I competed in USPSA Single Stack I eventually found myself on the command shooting team and participating in the Competition in Arms Program.  This led to being volunteered as Marksmanship/small arms instructor guru which just broke my heart, dang more range time.    I even was an auxiliary MP for two years and got more range time that way.

I miss free ammo

Semper Fi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss free ammo

Semper Fi

Nope, could not even get them at Lejeune to do the PTP for deploying battalions that would be get them as TPE in Afghanistan.

The program is a dead end and once OEF is over they will sit rusting away in Albany.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got a great friend who was a Marine Corpsman in Vietnam who doesn't care for them. Has a couple but could care less about them.
View Quote

Marines do not have Corpsmen.  The Navy assigns Corpsmen to the FMF.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#35]
They're uncommon but not too rare.  I have a buddy who was in comms and did not know the diff between semi and full-auto and didn't know the 16 had a selector switch.

He is also an Obama cum-gargler, I mean HARD left (or is that floppy, limp-wristed left?).  I've seen quite a few Zero stickers on base.  And not all on scumbag civilian cars!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#36]
In this day and age, young men are more likely to know more about various guns due to video games they may have played. These games are nothing like the ones I played when I was a kid- ours also involved quarters and a trip to an arcade. I also outgrew them when I decided I liked pussy better than pac man, but that's a different conversation. Also, unless the man grew up in some type of gun household, experience of any type is few and far between. Another thing to consider is that the military can fuck up many interests and hobbies to the point you lose interest, such as: exercise, shooting sports, hiking and camping, skydiving, scuba diving, etc. I went to SF training as a weapons sgt in the late 80s. It was pretty cool at first, getting to play with the various handguns, SMGs. rifles, and MGs from all over the world, and free ammo and all. Pretty much the best case scenario for anyone on this site. When it got mixed in with stressful evaluations, and the training went on day after day, it got to the point that I didn't even want to see a firearm. But I got better, eventually.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Never met a non-gun-loving Marine
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top