Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

This blew me away the first time I heard it. I even listen it to it in the truck on the way to work on occasion.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never seen more white knights than in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/142_Babe_Of_The_Day.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I enjoy listening to Josh Vietti.

http://youtu.be/MW_m68KRMUQ
View Quote
He seem good.

Hope he gets a gig that will encourage him in his future.

Bet the PTV and NPR guys will bash him too.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
OMG!.

They do Rock and Roll.

Been following their Videos or a few months.

The Public TV guys will bash them too.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]

These guys are great. I posted the Batman video in the Batman thread.

This video I thought was awesome until I watched the Kung Fu Piano

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Bet the PTV guys would have crushed Pat Benatar back in the 80's for leaving her career as a opera singer.

Here is another Opera person.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/142_Babe_Of_The_Day.html

touché

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/NCaH-qqTWpk

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am a celloist and can't play like this guy.

He is freaking amazing.

Love Pianoguys

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

He is freaking amazing.

Love Pianoguys

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He is freaking amazing.

Love Pianoguys

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He is freaking amazing.
Love Pianoguys

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is freaking amazing.
Love Pianoguys

You being a cellist you'll appreciate this:  My youngest brother pissed all over Yo Yo Ma.  Literally, urinated on him when he was 3 years old.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
[removed, see below]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've played violin for over 25 years, and in my younger years some of that was professionally.  I actually knew of Lindsey Sterling long before her current music career.  She's probably the sweetest, nicest, most heartwarming girl ever to pick up a fiddle.  But, within the professional violin community she is in fact considered a mediocre player at best.  Her skills on a violin are quite decent when she's standing still and using proper technique and all that jazz.  But as soon as she starts moving around and doing her little dance thing, he abilities diminish significantly.  Granted the fact she can play AT ALL while dancing like that is somewhat impressive, but it's just novelty.  I've heard her play with and without the dancing and it's pretty painfully obvious to those of us who know a thing or two about fiddle playing.  All her show songs are pre-recorded and she plays along with no pickup feed, they're also heavily auto-tuned and corrected prior.  DRhodes and I have spoken of this before, back when more of her stuff was getting popular.  She's done a great job of crafting an image for herself, and she's got a very solid sound engineering team behind her as well as excellent composers writing her stuff for her, in fact he latest stuff has been the best so far.  That said, I do wish her all the luck in her career.
View Quote

Well, I've been to a couple of her concerts and if she's not playing live I'd be shocked. If it was pre-recorded AND auto-tuned I'm sure they added flaws and defects back into the music to make it sound authentic, right? She makes a fair amount of mistakes and I notice them. I have a background in music and I am a critical listener. She also slipped and fell during one song and it didn't keep playing without her. So with all due respect, I don't believe all this is happening at her live shows. For the 2 songs she sang it also sounded live to me, and I've been to a lot of live shows.

Side note, why is it that professional violinists feel the need to shit all over Lindsey Stirling? Very few of her fans will tell you she's the best violin player ever. They like her music, her personality, and her dancing. Her shows are awesome. I have very broad musical tastes and I enjoy classical music and "electronic" music, so LS being the junction between these genres appeals to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like her music and enjoy the videos.  Would love to go see her in person one day.  Very talented.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
In response to my earlier post, my bad.

THIS is what the thread has devolved into.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Still waiting for documentation of any proof of your creative talent.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

According to him, yes it does. It also makes Milli Vanilli talented.

Show me a summer blockbuster Siskel and Ebert put out to support your ridiculous notion of what is required before one can be critical of a performance and I will...

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, I've been to a couple of her concerts and if she's not playing live I'd be shocked. If it was pre-recorded AND auto-tuned I'm sure they added flaws and defects back into the music to make it sound authentic, right? She makes a fair amount of mistakes and I notice them. I have a background in music and I am a critical listener. She also slipped and fell during one song and it didn't keep playing without her. So with all due respect, I don't believe all this is happening at her live shows. For the 2 songs she sang it also sounded live to me, and I've been to a lot of live shows.

Side note, why is it that professional violinists feel the need to shit all over Lindsey Stirling? Very few of her fans will tell you she's the best violin player ever. They like her music, her personality, and her dancing. Her shows are awesome. I have very broad musical tastes and I enjoy classical music and "electronic" music, so LS being the junction between these genres appeals to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've played violin for over 25 years, and in my younger years some of that was professionally.  I actually knew of Lindsey Sterling long before her current music career.  She's probably the sweetest, nicest, most heartwarming girl ever to pick up a fiddle.  But, within the professional violin community she is in fact considered a mediocre player at best.  Her skills on a violin are quite decent when she's standing still and using proper technique and all that jazz.  But as soon as she starts moving around and doing her little dance thing, he abilities diminish significantly.  Granted the fact she can play AT ALL while dancing like that is somewhat impressive, but it's just novelty.  I've heard her play with and without the dancing and it's pretty painfully obvious to those of us who know a thing or two about fiddle playing.  All her show songs are pre-recorded and she plays along with no pickup feed, they're also heavily auto-tuned and corrected prior.  DRhodes and I have spoken of this before, back when more of her stuff was getting popular.  She's done a great job of crafting an image for herself, and she's got a very solid sound engineering team behind her as well as excellent composers writing her stuff for her, in fact he latest stuff has been the best so far.  That said, I do wish her all the luck in her career.

It's kinda like telling arfcommers to just ignore poor gun handling in a movie.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's the "Wanted" of gun handling in movies.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Show me a summer blockbuster Siskel and Ebert put out to support your ridiculous notion of what is required before one can be critical of a performance and I will...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like siskel and ebert, I dont pay any mind to the opinion of classically trained violists either.

No shit she isn't going to be good as some orchestra person. Just like Led Zepplin didnt have the the instrumental skills of orchestra folks or the voices of opera singers. However, that didnt stop them from creating some of the best songs ever.

Her dancing is stupid as shit, but she makes some catchy tunes. Thats all that matters.  Well, I bet she's inspiring little girls to play instruments, so I guess thats good too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just like siskel and ebert, I dont pay any mind to the opinion of classically trained violists either.

No shit she isn't going to be good as some orchestra person. Just like Led Zepplin didnt have the the instrumental skills of orchestra folks or the voices of opera singers. However, that didnt stop them from creating some of the best songs ever.

Her dancing is stupid as shit, but she makes some catchy tunes. Thats all that matters.  Well, I bet she's inspiring little girls to play instruments, so I guess thats good too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's clear to me you have zero understanding of the fundamentals of music.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#22]
May not be up to the standards of the classically trained here, but this is another good cross over that doesn't get a lot of love.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
May not be up to the standards of the classically trained here, but this is another good cross over that doesn't get a lot of love.

http://youtu.be/KCXVCpcopa8
View Quote

That was quite good.

I also think there's a fundamental misunderstanding in this thread about what "classically trained" means, as well as what "technique" is when applied to playing an instrument.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That was quite good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was quite good.

Yeah, I don't hip hop at all, but I can listen to that all day long.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you agree she's just an entertainer.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:20:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That was quite good.

I also think there's a fundamental misunderstanding in this thread about what "classically trained" means, as well as what "technique" is when applied to playing an instrument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was quite good.

Technique is lost on this site in almost every hobby and profession.   As long as _______ is a hydro-dipped multi-cam, mac filtered, 1000 HP diesel 4x4 in .300 BLK it's the best thing ever for ______  regardless of proper application of technique, and regardless of what knowledgeable people say.
It's no surprise people would hold the same myopic view towards music.  
If she was a man, no one here would care about her, no one would defend her as being anything other than mediocre.  It's only because she is a HWP female that anyone is defending her.  It's amazing that in this day and age, people are still so sexist.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:31:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Autographed album suckas!  Master of Tides always gets stuck in my head.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

She's also Mormon and a BYU alumna.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She's great.

She's also Mormon and a BYU alumna.  

Which seems to be one of the major reasons she has big support in this thread...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when I point out that based on the 2 live shows I've been to they aren't pre-recorded, you have no answer. I see how it is.
Nothing worse than someone who trolls every post about an artist that people enjoy to shit all over everything. Then again, based on your post count it appears you really have nothing better to do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So when I point out that based on the 2 live shows I've been to they aren't pre-recorded, you have no answer. I see how it is.
Nothing worse than someone who trolls every post about an artist that people enjoy to shit all over everything. Then again, based on your post count it appears you really have nothing better to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long have you  been stalking her?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Now that is funny. We need more crossovers like this.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Are you saying that this thread has turned into a Crusade?

This is more like ArfCom Crusade style. We fight for The One.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Autographed album suckas!  Master of Tides always gets stuck in my head.

View Quote

You are not only lucky, but Evil.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I just wish she'd do a cover of some Firefly or Serenity music.

Dressed as Zoe or Kaylee.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I just wish she'd do a cover of some Firefly or Serenity music.

Dressed as Zoe or Kaylee.
View Quote

She could alternate personas on different tunes.  Zoe, Kaylee, Inara, maybe even YoSaffBrigdge.
And, as for all the back and forth going on in here...  she is an entertainer.  Her shows and music and videos are entertaining to some, and not to others.  Just like other artists and entertainers and differing musical styles.  I like some of her music but not all of it, and I don't care whether or not any of you like it or not.

Back to the bickering now, I guess.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#36]
And...     now it just got creepy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me see if I can explain this in a way you can comprehend.  I don't mean that to belittle you, it's just a very nebulous thing to try and explain.  When playing a violin there are very specific techniques used to play the required notes in a clear and concise manner; the wrist has to be in very specific spots and specific times, pressure applied to strings in specific ways in a specific sequence, the bow has to be at specific angles and in a specific position and very specific pressure applied in very specific sequences.  I'm familiar enough with the instrument and how it's played that I can look at things like her neck, chin, hands, wrists and where they are positioned and how she is moving them to create a sort of audio picture of what she's doing correlated with what I am hearing.  The basic conflict is that the various dance moves she does and the necessary movements to balance herself and perform these maneuvers does not preclude  the above mentioned very necessary techniques she needs to be using to make her playing sound good.  These techniques are grounded in basic physics and are fundamentally necessary and no amount of raw talent will never ever circumvent that.  Any mistakes you heard in the audio of her performance are in all probability not intentional in the sense that they were artificially re-introduced into a recording but are in fact the result of a state of "incorrectableness" of the mistakes she made in the original recording and were deemed acceptable for a synced recording to a live  performance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Itzhak Perlman is a better violinist, but wouldn't look nearly so good in a bikini, and the thought of him prancing around like that is frankly a little creepy.  But hey, he wouldn't be playing over a prerecorded track either.

Maxim Vengerhov likewise....

Anne Mutter on the other hand...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Itzhak Perlman is a better violinist, but wouldn't look nearly so good in a bikini, and the thought of him prancing around like that is frankly a little creepy.  But hey, he wouldn't be playing over a prerecorded track either.

View Quote

I've socialized with Itzhak Perlman, that man loves his vodka and would probably prance around if you got enough drinks in him
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've socialized with Itzhak Perlman, that man loves his vodka and would probably prance around if you got enough drinks in him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anne Mutter would definitely look better in a bikini.

Question is, which likes dudes more?  IIRC Perlman is queer as a 3 dollar bill, no?  (dude can play the fuck out of some Mendelssohn though)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Question is, which likes dudes more?  IIRC Perlman is queer as a 3 dollar bill, no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Question is, which likes dudes more?  IIRC Perlman is queer as a 3 dollar bill, no?

Not at all.  He very clearly loves his wife very much.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then I am misinformed - not that it matters. That old guy is amazing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's also cool as hell.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Let me see if I can explain this in a way you can comprehend.  I don't mean that to belittle you, it's just a very nebulous thing to try and explain.  When playing a violin there are very specific techniques used to play the required notes in a clear and concise manner; the wrist has to be in very specific spots and specific times, pressure applied to strings in specific ways in a specific sequence, the bow has to be at specific angles and in a specific position and very specific pressure applied in very specific sequences.  I'm familiar enough with the instrument and how it's played that I can look at things like her neck, chin, hands, wrists and where they are positioned and how she is moving them to create a sort of audio picture of what she's doing correlated with what I am hearing.  The basic conflict is that the various dance moves she does and the necessary movements to balance herself and perform these maneuvers does not preclude  the above mentioned very necessary techniques she needs to be using to make her playing sound good.  These techniques are grounded in basic physics and are fundamentally necessary and no amount of raw talent will never ever circumvent that.  Any mistakes you heard in the audio of her performance are in all probability not intentional in the sense that they were artificially re-introduced into a recording but are in fact the result of a state of "incorrectableness" of the mistakes she made in the original recording and were deemed acceptable for a synced recording to a live  performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You only wish you could have an audience like this.

But since we have not seen any pictures , video, or proof. I call your stories of fame.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
But since we have not seen any pictures , video, or proof. I call your stories of fame.

View Quote

You're one of those people who are dense on purpose. Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Win_88 seems heavily  invested in this.

Is it the whole LDS thing?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe he just likes bathwater.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Praise be to Elohim.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://s.sidereel.com/episodes/96357/featured/60402.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/041/5/9/white_knight_vs_black_knight_by_nicktheartisticfreak-d5ujowb.jpg

http://s.sidereel.com/episodes/96357/featured/60402.jpg

Meant that there's a lot of white knight vs black knight mud slinging going on in this thread.

But then again, this IS Arfcom.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10378929_838136289551893_3865860352827166175_n.png?oh=e3e79ac9275bd9d65c7015d46b968a1a&oe=54B90367&__gda__=1421804813_36e5cf7005f06f7e2d33b66edf65152e

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10378929_838136289551893_3865860352827166175_n.png?oh=e3e79ac9275bd9d65c7015d46b968a1a&oe=54B90367&__gda__=1421804813_36e5cf7005f06f7e2d33b66edf65152e

Why would he want an audience of tone deaf tweens when he actually plays for people that know what they are listening to?

It's funny that you think your opinion is logical.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top