Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2014 10:46:28 AM EDT
I thought the F-35 was supposed to be the cheap fighter?

Are low cost fighters a solution for future battles?

With a price tag of $20 million, the Textron AirLand Scorpion is an inexpensive option in tactical aircraft.

While $20 million is no paltry sum – it’s still approximately 80 percent less than the pricetag for current fighter aircraft like the F-35.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Would be nice to see someone other than LM or Boeing making fighters for a change.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I love that one, wish it had some export sales, but no one wanted to buy it if the US .mil wasn't using it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]
That thing is DOA on the market.

It does nothing a Super Tucano, or F/A-50 can't do better in their respective fields.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I always wonder about video's like that. Several million people will see that video by the time the internet is done looking at it, but in reality there are maybe 3 or 4 people in the world that have the actual authority to buy the aircraft and plan around their incorporation with our current military.

South America should love them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd be more interested in the AT-6 program.

None of these light attack planes are going to make it into the U.S. inventory any time soon, though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do they make the videos so goddamned jerky?  [curmudgeon mode off]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#8]
But... but... its not....sexy!

It can't fly supersonic. Its not important enough for my career.

Bottom Line: I can't get laid with that fashion accessory.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#9]
How in heck is that a fighter? Its just a trainer with hard points.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How in heck is that a fighter? Its just a trainer with hard points.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Well, if all we are doing is blowing up goat fuckers in the desert, do we really need to send in the F-22s and risk losing one of the few we have?

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#11]
If that's a "fighter jet" there are going to be some really short "future battles".
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If that's a "fighter jet" there are going to be some really short "future battles".
View Quote
Yeah, seems to be more of a ground attack type aircraft than 'dogfight some MIGs'

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#13]
If only there was an amazing low-cost and extraordinarily versatile plane already flying...

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#14]
High, straight wing?  No one will buy it. esp not the USAF
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Unmanned fighters are considered the future for US fighters.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
How much does a BAE Hawk cost?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Looks like they are targeting the export market, not US .mil

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like low 20s to low 30s, depending if we're talking a single seat with radar, 2-seat trainer, etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#19]
450 knots? What a joke

ETA and entry level Gulf stream business jet will smoke that thing
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looks like low 20s to low 30s, depending if we're talking a single seat with radar, 2-seat trainer, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does that compare to the Yakolev? Seems like they're all designed for the same niche.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Boeing is reportedly considering getting out of the piloted fighter jet industry if that tells you anything.  

Drones are the future of warfare, lightly supplemented by piloted planes.  My two cents.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#22]
maybe north Korea (best Korea) can afford one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How does that compare to the Yakolev? Seems like they're all designed for the same niche.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 15 a pop for those. Israel is going to be using them (well, the Eye-talian version), so who knows what is in store for long-term development.

ETA: Russia, your planes look great in normal, somber paint schemes. Don't slap that gaudy-fuck aero-camo you seem to love on everything. Come on.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#24]

I enjoy people saying "Drones are the FUTURE!!!!" at the same time every *nix user on the planet is rebuilding their BASH because of the Shellshock exploit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why do they make the videos so goddamned jerky?  [curmudgeon mode off]
View Quote

I'm right there with you.  I'm tired of this annoying editing style.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

About 15 a pop for those. Israel is going to be using them (well, the Eye-talian version), so who knows what is in store for long-term development.

http://i.imgur.com/3B18GqO.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like the Russians/Italians have a head start then. The whole segment is centered on being low-cost, and they offer the cheapest alternative.

If the Izzies buy them, there's sure to be plenty of aftermarket upgrades developed as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sounds like the Russians/Italians have a head start then. The whole segment is centered on being low-cost, and they offer the cheapest alternative.

If the Izzies buy them, there's sure to be plenty of aftermarket upgrades developed as well.
View Quote

And the same Aermacchi M-346 is being pimped via General Dynamics as the T-38 replacement. Which would be hilarious to have a Russian aircraft as our next primary trainer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a serious question. Since we have nukes and a pretty big damn navy and some F-22's, the chance that another country starting shit with us is pretty low. Then if our main issue right now is people like ISIS and their low tech weaponry, why don't we focus a lot of time developing aircraft, vehicles and ordinance for those situations? What one day radical islam is just going to vanish? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a serious question. Since we have nukes and a pretty big damn navy and some F-22's, the chance that another country starting shit with us is pretty low. Then if our main issue right now is people like ISIS and their low tech weaponry, why don't we focus a lot of time developing aircraft, vehicles and ordinance for those situations? What one day radical islam is just going to vanish? I don't think so.
View Quote

Speaking of nukes...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The last true "Lo" in the "Hi-Lo" idea of fighter airframes was the A4 (not really a fighter).

The US doesnt want simple and cheap. They want the F35
View Quote
I think we need to have some cheap airframes like these, to save wear and tear on the few '$$$' fighters we acquire.

Why put the flights hours on F-22s fighting ISIS?

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like a Cessna.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Correct me if I'm wrong .....but aren't drones supposed to be unmanned?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#34]

You only need low cost units if you're planning to zerg rush.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like a Cessna.  
View Quote

Uh, it kind of is...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Uh, it kind of is...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Cessna.  

Uh, it kind of is...

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Scorpion will join the fray for selection.
View Quote

Waiting on performance results
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#38]
What does it do better than the F-18?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Isn't the F16 still being produced? Not to mention all the other current models mentioned above...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Could these be converted to fighter status ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I enjoy people saying "Drones are the FUTURE!!!!" at the same time every *nix user on the planet is rebuilding their BASH because of the Shellshock exploit.
View Quote

I've always wondered, in case of a war with a major power and a large part of your air power is drones, how do you KNOW on the first day of the war all of your drones won't fall out of the air because you've been hacked????
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It's aimed at the T-X contract.  Might win, too.

The F-20 was an attempt to use capitalism to bring a low cost light weight export fighter to the market and was summarily killed by the US State Department and the Defense Department in what boils down to a bait and switch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the F-35 was supposed to be the cheap fighter?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/09/25/scorpion-low-cost-fighter-jet-for-future-battles/?intcmp=obnetwork

With a price tag of $20 million, the Textron AirLand Scorpion is an inexpensive option in tactical aircraft.

While $20 million is no paltry sum – it’s still approximately 80 percent less than the pricetag for current fighter aircraft like the F-35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2KPCYD6JW0

It's aimed at the T-X contract.  Might win, too.

The F-20 was an attempt to use capitalism to bring a low cost light weight export fighter to the market and was summarily killed by the US State Department and the Defense Department in what boils down to a bait and switch.

What's that?

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
maybe north Korea (best Korea) can afford one.
View Quote

Five O'Clock Charlie approves this message.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

More than they are worth, they're about as crappy an airplane as can be found.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than they are worth, they're about as crappy an airplane as can be found.

Another British C- product that had to go to St. Louis to be fixed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

ETA: Russia, your planes look great in normal, somber paint schemes. Don't slap that gaudy-fuck aero-camo you seem to love on everything. Come on.

http://i58.tinypic.com/a0xy1h.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i58.tinypic.com/a0xy1h.jpg

F-16/Hawk lovechild?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've always wondered, in case of a war with a major power and a large part of your air power is drones, how do you KNOW on the first day of the war all of your drones won't fall out of the air because you've been hacked????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supply chain integrity is a bitch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top