BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Castle doctrine does not mean what you think it means...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In CT we actually have a castle doctrine, no jail time as long as it is in your home, although you still may need to deal with a civil aspect of it all. Outside of your home is a totally different story.

Please enlighten me...while I know anyone in CT or almost any other state would get sent to the slammer for anything that resembles an execution or "anchor shot" we are covered for protecting are selves and property.

ETA:
Quoted:
Completely hypothetical

You are home invaded and get the drop on a perp. You shoot him and put him down - as you go past to save your dag and kid in the other room you see the perp move slightly. Do you perform an anchor shot as you go past and risk the wrath of the DA presenting you as cold blooded killer or pass him without doing that and hope he doesn't shoot you in the back?

I am kind of a put down/stay down kind of guy.

Had this convo today with a co-worker - In CT an anchor shot would probably land you in jail (hell a good defensive shoot probably will anyway since that's a dem voter taken off the rolls) but here in TX I get the feeling you would get a handshake from the sheriff and a medal.

I was correcting this statement btw.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Around here....the worst thing I can think of is an added abuse of a corpse charge.....  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Shoot to slide lock, then reload. Rinse, repeat as necessary if target is still moving. None of this "Shoot twice and check". You shoot until you are sure the threat is stopped. And frankly, if 19+1 rds isn't sufficient, well hopefully by then he'll leak out as I then casually talk to the 911 operator into sending a meat truck.
View Quote

That sounds like a bad idea.  You honestly think that 20 rounds is needed to negate most threats?   What if there are two more bad guys outside ready to come in just as you empty the magazine and another magazine is not handy?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This thread is right up there with having 3 different types of cartridges in your shotgun.
View Quote

It's not, really, although he explained the situation poorly.

Three armed robbers enter your home. One of them separates you from your kid. You get an opportunity to shoot your guy. You realize that he's still moving as you go to deal with the ones who have your kid.

I like to think I'd order the one I just shot not to move and clear him for weapons, but that's a fantasy. You just announced your armed presence to the other two. They know that something went wrong. At least one shot was fired.

Maybe they'll run, or maybe they'll investigate. Maybe they'll hurt the kid and then run. Awful situation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Better question is: Do you drag this bleeding scumbag outside, or let him bleed all over your carpet.   Moving the body probably isn't the best idea from a criminal investigation stand point...   but damn, I got nice carpet!
View Quote

I am not a lawyer but there is no way I am tampering with evidence unless there is some safety related reason to do so.   He has a vest of dynamite and the LED clock is ticking down to zero.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Modern forensics can be a bitch.
Modern pathology can be a bitch when done by a well trained/experienced doctor.
Video/audio can be a bitch (like your spouse being on the phone with 911, that you weren't aware of when you pop him again).
Witnesses can be a bitch (co-defendants, neighbors, spouse, kids, guests).

Know the law, know your rights, be ethical with the decisions you make.  Base your defense on the law and telling the truth and you will be far less likely to be in trouble in the first place and if you were charged, the truth tends not to fall apart when ballistics, forensics, pathology evidence and witness accounts start to come in.  The truth also doesn't generally unravel on the stand.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That sounds like a bad idea.  You honestly think that 20 rounds is needed to negate most threats?   What if there are two more bad guys outside ready to come in just as you empty the magazine and another magazine is not handy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoot to slide lock, then reload. Rinse, repeat as necessary if target is still moving. None of this "Shoot twice and check". You shoot until you are sure the threat is stopped. And frankly, if 19+1 rds isn't sufficient, well hopefully by then he'll leak out as I then casually talk to the 911 operator into sending a meat truck.

Gun holds 20 rds. I'd rather be prepared than not. Same rule would apply if it was a 1911... Shoot to slide lock, reload. If the threat has stopped at 5 rds (he legs it)? Terrific, I've got two left in the mag. Still going to reload in case he comes back. It's foolish to pause shooting until the threat is stopped completely or I have to reload. "Oh I didn't want to possibly waste  some bullets!" Sorry, my life is worth more than a couple bucks worth of copper and lead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote

This is your go to response for a lot of things, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

It's just his jovial way of letting everyone know that he's watching the thread.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He was reaching for a weapon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.  Shoot until threat is over regardless.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Something something never leave a live enemy behind you something something...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't be this guy.  If he stopped at step 4, he would have been ok.  See how that works?

http://gawker.com/5806220/where-does-self-defense-end-killer-of-robber-convicted-of-murder

In May of 2009, Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland was at work
when two teenagers came in to rob his store. What happens is caught on
the surveillance video above:

1. Two teens burst into the store, one of them waving a gun.

2. Ersland shoots at them. The one with the gun runs out the door; the other is hit and falls.

3. Ersland exits the store in pursuit of the fleeing robber. Failing to catch him, he comes back into the store.

4. Ersland walks back behind the counter and retrieves a second gun.

5. Ersland walks back to where the fallen robber is, leans down, and shoots him multiple times, killing him.

Yesterday, Ersland was found guilty of first-degree murder. He faces life in prison.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same conversation about active shooters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is right up there with having 3 different types of cartridges in your shotgun.

Three armed robbers enter your home. One of them separates you from your kid. You get an opportunity to shoot your guy. You realize that he's still moving as you go to deal with the ones who have your kid.

I like to think I'd order the one I just shot not to move and clear him for weapons, but that's a fantasy. You just announced your armed presence to the other two. They know that something went wrong. At least one shot was fired.

Maybe they'll run, or maybe they'll investigate. Maybe they'll hurt the kid and then run. Awful situation.

Same conversation about active shooters.

Interesting. I think I'd treat active shooter/killers as more of a warfare situation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]
"Anchor shot" didn't work out well for a pharmacist in Oklahoma...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please cite an example of a real case where anything like that has ever happened, because it seems like this whole premise is based on too many action movies and SOF magazine articles.

As far as I know even swat teams do not use anchor shots, when would they ever be needed in a home invasion scenario?  If the guy is on the ground and is still a threat, shoot him. That's not the same as putting another one into him "just in case".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. He's not having a good time there either, sounds like dude is in a lot of pain, mentally and physically:

http://newsok.com/convicted-murderer-jerome-ersland-pleads-guilty-to-possession-of-contraband/article/3955377

"Jerome Ersland, who is serving a life sentence for killing Antwun
Parker, 16, during a robbery attempt at an Oklahoma City pharmacy in
2009, received two years more in prison Monday after he was found guilty
of having fentanyl in prison."

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#20]
The OP should of mag dumped on the perp to start with.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Please enlighten me...while I know anyone in CT or almost any other state would get sent to the slammer for anything that resembles an execution or "anchor shot" we are covered for protecting are selves and property.

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In CT we actually have a castle doctrine, no jail time as long as it is in your home, although you still may need to deal with a civil aspect of it all. Outside of your home is a totally different story.

ETA:
Quoted:
Completely hypothetical

You are home invaded and get the drop on a perp. You shoot him and put him down - as you go past to save your dag and kid in the other room you see the perp move slightly. Do you perform an anchor shot as you go past and risk the wrath of the DA presenting you as cold blooded killer or pass him without doing that and hope he doesn't shoot you in the back?

Had this convo today with a co-worker - In CT an anchor shot would probably land you in jail (hell a good defensive shoot probably will anyway since that's a dem voter taken off the rolls) but here in TX I get the feeling you would get a handshake from the sheriff and a medal.

My guess is that he is referring to the fact that the "castle law" in CT acts as an affirmative defense rather than a perfect defense since it does not include a rebuttable presumption that you were in fear for your life when you applied deadly force.

See Conn. Gen. Stat. 53a-19

ETA: Compare that to the Florida statute that is on point.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Please cite an example of a real case where anything like that has ever happened, because it seems like this whole premise is based on too many action movies and SOF magazine articles.

As far as I know even swat teams do not use anchor shots, when would they ever be needed in a home invasion scenario?  If the guy is on the ground and is still a threat, shoot him. That's not the same as putting another one into him "just in case".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thread began with the statement that it's completely hypothetical. Regarding SWAT teams, they're not comparable. It's not their kid and there's more than one of them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
Quoted:
Completely hypothetical

Thought you were responding to the primary point of the OP, i.e., "anchor shots." Nevermind, then.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#24]
In

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If I have to fire at all, I'm not stopping until I'm absolutely sure they are good and dead.  All my neighbors will hear is a single string of shots, and nothing else until they hear police sirens.  
View Quote
8 bangs and a click. I was fuckin scared! I aint shittin ya!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

your answer is " I want to talk to my lawyer."

don't talk about all the cool tactics you read about on line.

don't tell them about how you watch strikeback with a boner and dream about being that cool

save your family the best way you can, shut your damn mouth and let your lawyer do his job.
View Quote
This right here. Call 911, then STFU

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

He was a fool imho.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#28]
that's what bayonets are for .....  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Video/audio can be a bitch (like your spouse being on the phone with 911, that you weren't aware of when you pop him again).

Know the law, know your rights, be ethical with the decisions you make.  Base your defense on the law and telling the truth and you will be far less likely to be in trouble in the first place and if you were charged, the truth tends not to fall apart when ballistics, forensics, pathology evidence and witness accounts start to come in.  The truth also doesn't generally unravel on the stand.
View Quote

"Ethics" as applied to armed home invaders?  To me it simply does not apply.  

The only thing that does apply is my desire to see them dead tempered by my desire not to go to prison.

In other words, if I knew I could get away with it I'd shoot every single one of them repeatedly until I was absolutely sure they were stone fucking dead.

That's my ethics as applied to that particular kind of scumbag.  Because sooner or later they will kill someone.  Best to stop them while you can.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had no idea you guys in CT had castle doctrine. I will eat crow over my first comment/ reply.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had no idea you guys in CT had castle doctrine. I will eat crow over my first comment/ reply.

Oh the politicians and taxes suck plus the Sport rifle and mag restrictions

But we shoot a muthafucker up in here

And for some weird twist full auto and suppressors are good

So we all got suppressed UZIs with ten round mags
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Completely hypothetical

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/closing-arguments-tuesday-in-little-falls-murder-trial/
LITTLE FALLS, Minn. (AP/WCCO) — The Little Falls, Minn., man who shot and killed two teenagers after they broke into his home was found guilty Tuesday of premeditated murder.
Smith says, “You’re dying,” followed soon by the sound of another gunshot, which investigators said Smith described as “a good, clean finishing shot.”

Al Franken go figure
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
He was a fool imho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was a fool imho.

yup, stupid, stupid, stupid, split second decision.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#34]
If you have time to think then you are no longer in immediate fear of great bodily harm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The only thing that does apply is my desire to see them dead tempered by my desire not to go to prison.

In other words, if I knew I could get away with it I'd shoot every single one of them repeatedly until I was absolutely sure they were stone fucking dead.

That's my ethics as applied to that particular kind of scumbag.  Because sooner or later they will kill someone.  Best to stop them while you can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exhibit 1...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Clear his ass of a weapon and put him in cuffs... even if his head is already a canoe.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

It's often the most appropriate response.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View Quote

You only have 3 different rounds of ammo in your shotgun?

I run 4 different types of ammo in my home defense shotgun.

First I rack the slide and that usually causes them to shit themselves and run for the hills.  If that doesn't work I always carry the follow rounds in my HD shotgun.

1. Birdshot (because it will not go through doors)

2. 00 Buck  (in case the perp is hiding behind a door)

3. Bouncy Balls (because who doesn't love little rubber balls pinballing through your house at 2 am?) (bonus points for glow in the dark ones because they look like tracers bouncing off my walls.

4. Dragon's Breath (cuz fuck it if the perp has not left my residents yet I am just gonna burn the whole motherfucking place down right meow.  I need my sleep and I don't got time to wait around and shoot nobody)

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

First I rack the slide and that usually causes them to shit themselves and run for the hills.  If that doesn't work I always carry the follow rounds in my HD shotgun.

3. Bouncy Balls (because who doesn't love little rubber balls pinballing through your house at 2 am?) (bonus points for glow in the dark ones because they look like tracers bouncing off my walls.
4. Dragon's Breath (cuz fuck it if the perp has not left my residents yet I am just gonna burn the whole motherfucking place down right meow.  I need my sleep and I don't got time to wait around and shoot nobody)

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Pft, you're not doing it right unless you have anti-sniper flechettes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I decline to respond. Sh*t can haunt you later on.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He was reaching for a weapon.
View Quote

/Thread
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK I hear what you are saying but....

like in OP "you shoot and you put him down" now you walk over to him and he moves slightly (perhaps an involuntary movement) - no gun, no weapon of any kind around him, he's not a threat ... would you really hover over him and pop him again?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Best one yet!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#45]
F
Quoted:
An anchor shot - an entire 66 foot long shot of chain from a typical Navy ship is going to run about 75 tons and if you're strong enough to drop that on a guy you've got no worries about being prostituted by any jury made up of humans.

Single perp? I'm not taking my gun off the cranial cavity for any reason until the cops come by to relieve me.
View Quote

The bold part made it even funnier.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Al Franken go figure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Completely hypothetical

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/closing-arguments-tuesday-in-little-falls-murder-trial/
LITTLE FALLS, Minn. (AP/WCCO) — The Little Falls, Minn., man who shot and killed two teenagers after they broke into his home was found guilty Tuesday of premeditated murder.
Smith says, “You’re dying,” followed soon by the sound of another gunshot, which investigators said Smith described as “a good, clean finishing shot.”

Al Franken go figure

has nothing to do with "anchor shots"
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in other words...you have none....got it..
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#49]
anchor shot--i learned a new term today
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't be this guy.  If he stopped at step 4, he would have been ok.  See how that works?

http://gawker.com/5806220/where-does-self-defense-end-killer-of-robber-convicted-of-murder

In May of 2009, Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland was at work when two teenagers came in to rob his store. What happens is caught on the surveillance video above:

1. Two teens burst into the store, one of them waving a gun.
2. Ersland shoots at them. The one with the gun runs out the door; the other is hit and falls.
3. Ersland exits the store in pursuit of the fleeing robber. Failing to catch him, he comes back into the store.
4. Ersland walks back behind the counter and retrieves a second gun.
5. Ersland walks back to where the fallen robber is, leans down, and shoots him multiple times, killing him.

Yesterday, Ersland was found guilty of first-degree murder. He faces life in prison.
View Quote

That wasn't very smart.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top