Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2014 12:29:24 PM EDT

I've been shooting (at) ducks, pheasant and chukar for ages - short version...I was born cross-eyed (amblyopia) and had surgery in the 70's to "fix" it. I don't have stereo vision, never have. I can't watch a 3-D movie, can't catch  stuff thrown to me, etc... My eyes appear normal, they just don't work together. I've even tried "therapy" but when I've successfully fused my vision, it is double vision, not fun.,

Anyhow,  my right eye has never been as good as my left, and the left is my dominant eye. For years, I've worn a patch on the left eye when I shoot, (as an aside, I wear a patch on the right eye when I golf, otherwise my vision switches eyes mid-swing with disastrous results)

I was out busting clays with a friend this weekend, and he was shooting left handed.  He's right handed. I asked him about it, and he told me he's cross dominant, so several years ago, he trained himself to shoot with the strong eye, weak hand. He claims it helps a bunch. I can confirm, he out shoots me. Apparently I am shorting myself since I don't have the use of the left eye.

Just wondering about suggestions. Is my situation different than his since I don't have stereo vision?   Should I take the time to practice left handed, or keep the patch on? I tried shouldering the gun on the left side and it felt REALLY strange. I do most of my hunting with an over/under (safety on top of receiver, not @ trigger guard) and no ejection issues

TL:DR  - Cross Dominant Bird Hunter seeks same for advice...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you with the eye thing. But I've always shot a shotgun both eyes open.
And have bird hunted for many years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to say, I gave up and started shooting LH
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a fairly similar problem.

Shooting left hand will help but takes a lot of practice.

If you wear glasses, stick a piece of scotch tape across your dominant eye's lense. Bam, no more problems. Sounds stupid but it works! Unless you mean you just have drastically worse vision in one eye than the other- I can't help you with that. But I also have an extremely hard time shooting both eyes open, and have even talked to my eye doctor about it. That's the advice he gave me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you wear glasses, stick a piece of scotch tape across your dominant eye's lense. Bam, no more problems. Sounds stupid but it works! Unless you mean you just have drastically worse vision in one eye than the other- I can't help you with that. But I also have an extremely hard time shooting both eyes open, and have even talked to my eye doctor about it. That's the advice he gave me.
View Quote

It's a tough thing to do. But it's just like using an ACOG, where you keep both eyes open.
Possibly an Aimpoint mounted to a rail might be helpful to the op.
Mine is very fast. I had one on a Benelli M4 for a while.
No magnification would allow for a large FOV.
Which would be a good thing for leading Birds.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Cross eye dominant here. Also, pretty blind.

I shift pistols to the left eye. I can't do both eyes open shooting, unless I put grease on my left glass lens, then I can rock out with my right eye. After saying this, I really need to try covering my RIGHT eye, as it's the weaker one.

Rifles, I just shoot right handed and deal with it. Works okay ish. I can't punch paper, but I can shoot *things* just fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Have your shotgun stock bent to accommodate your cross dominance.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Look around/watch with both eyes open, then shut the off eye while aiming/shooting.

It works for me on birds, and I've never felt the need to blame my horrible sporting clays scores on it...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Eye patch. . . and a saber.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's a tough thing to do. But it's just like using an ACOG, where you keep both eyes open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not so much a tough thing to do as the mismatch between my eyes doesn't allow it to be done very well at all.

I've transitioned many of my handguns and hunting guns to red dots and low powered scopes because I simply am UNABLE to use both eyes open with most traditional sights- I can do it with a red dot.

That said I've started shooting left handed and the problem disappears. It still feels a little weird though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Corrective glasses
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I met my wife while shooting with friends. I watched her and saw that she has this same issue. I got her to just shoot everything with both eyes open.  She instantly went from missing to hitting all her targets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot left handed after losing the vision in my right eye.  Go a couple times and just focus in the basics, you'll do fine.  It's been 12 years and holding a rifle right handed feels awkward now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whoa!  

Is the off-center recoil a problem?
View All Quotes

I don't know.  I have only seen 1 shooter with his gun set up like that, and he said that if the fitting is done correctly the recoil is not any worse than with a standard stock.  I imagine that the drop and pitch have a lot to do with that.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I am left eye dominant..I just shoot with my right eye...and leave both eyes open...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't know.  I have only seen 1 shooter with his gun set up like that, and he said that if the fitting is done correctly the recoil is not any worse than with a standard stock.  I imagine that the drop and pitch have a lot to do with that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That looks crazy. I think I'd rather try it with my left hand and just learn. It will give me an excuse to spend more time shooting!

Thanks for all the comments. I've got a few weeks until season opens. I guess I'll go out and bust some clays left handed. I think the hardest part will be going to shoulder it on the opposite side.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I am right handed but left-eye dominant and have tried eye patches, a tape dot in the center of the left lens of my shooting glasses, squint shooting, all of it. My final solution is an Aimpoint. I shoot both eyes open and the Aimpoint forces the right eye to line up. Worked best for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way you can shotgun well with both eyes open is if strong hand and dominant eye is the same.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm right handed, left eye dominant.  I learned to shoot with one eye closed and right handed.  I switched to shooting left handed and had a lot of trouble with it.  My skeet score went from the low 20s to about 12.  I kept it up for about a year with little improvement before I gave up and switched back to shooting right handed.

I have since worked on shooting with both eyes open, and although I'm left eye dominant I can control which eye I'm focusing with and can shoot using my right eye.

To practice switching eyes, hold a handgun out and close your dominant eye.  Aim the sights at a small object in your room, then open both your eyes.  Without moving the gun, try to switch which image you're focusing on, the dominant eye's image is the one that is not aimed at the target.  Once you can control which image you are focusing on, eye dominance doesn't matter and you can shoot both eyes open.

I will say though that if I don't focus on it I will default to my dominant (left) eye.  Especially shooting handguns where I can just shift my hands over a few inches and shoot right handed, left eyed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The only way you can shotgun well with both eyes open is if strong hand and dominant eye is the same.
View Quote

Well hell. If that is the case, I am definitely switching.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This could very well be. As my strong hand and dominant eye are the same. Just never thought much about it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm right handed, left eye dominant.  I learned to shoot with one eye closed and right handed.  I switched to shooting left handed and had a lot of trouble with it.  My skeet score went from the low 20s to about 12.  I kept it up for about a year with little improvement before I gave up and switched back to shooting right handed.

I have since worked on shooting with both eyes open, and although I'm left eye dominant I can control which eye I'm focusing with and can shoot using my right eye.

To practice switching eyes, hold a handgun out and close your dominant eye.  Aim the sights at a small object in your room, then open both your eyes.  Without moving the gun, try to switch which image you're focusing on, the dominant eye's image is the one that is not aimed at the target.  Once you can control which image you are focusing on, eye dominance doesn't matter and you can shoot both eyes open.

I will say though that if I don't focus on it I will default to my dominant (left) eye.  Especially shooting handguns where I can just shift my hands over a few inches and shoot right handed, left eyed.
View Quote

Hmmm. Worth a try. Part of my visual challenge is that my eyes are not lined up. This is hard to explain to people with normal stereo vision. I don't look like I have a "wall-eye" but if you picture your two eyes looking essentially parallel, mine would be sort of off from that center. Typically, my left eye is looking straight ahead, and the right eye is off to the side by just a few degrees. If doesn't look that way to others, but in vision tests, that is the result. So when I switch eyes, I get a really severe shift in perspective, especially at sight distance at the end of my shotgun. Funny thing is I assumed this was normal until I was in my late 20's.

Both eyes have good vision. I am 20/15 in the left and 20/20 in the right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#23]
you shoot a shotgun with both eyes open. I would switch sides and practice alot. it should come 2nd nature to you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was blinded in my right eye at 13 (the dominant one), I had to relearn to shoot birds left handed.  Once blinded, my left eye became naturally dominant, so I had to make a decision.

It doesn't feel as natural for me to shoot weak side, but I can still hunt and shoot with others and they don't notice a handicap.  The more practice I get, the more natural it feels.
I know a guy who cross fit his shotgun to compensate.  Not sure that is the direction I would go.  Can't do that with every gun, and I want to be able to theoretically use every gun lefty (except bullpups).

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Left eye dominate but shot my whole life right handed
Rifle Pistol and Shotgun
I close my left eye when I shoot

I can shoot a rifle left handed, with care

I would just go with it and use the patch
And BTW I suck at wing shooting
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't shoot with  both eyes open either. It doesn't matter if it's rifle (unless I have an eotech), shotgun or pistol. It almost seems like my eyes fight for dominance, so I gave up and just close my left eye. I do pretty damn well at trap and target shooting but sporting clays...not so much, in all fairness I have only shot sporting clays once
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've been shooting (at) ducks, pheasant and chukar for ages - short version...I was born cross-eyed (amblyopia) and had surgery in the 70's to "fix" it. I don't have stereo vision, never have. I can't watch a 3-D movie, can't catch  stuff thrown to me, etc... My eyes appear normal, they just don't work together. I've even tried "therapy" but when I've successfully fused my vision, it is double vision, not fun.,

Anyhow,  my right eye has never been as good as my left, and the left is my dominant eye. For years, I've worn a patch on the left eye when I shoot, (as an aside, I wear a patch on the right eye when I golf, otherwise my vision switches eyes mid-swing with disastrous results)

I was out busting clays with a friend this weekend, and he was shooting left handed.  He's right handed. I asked him about it, and he told me he's cross dominant, so several years ago, he trained himself to shoot with the strong eye, weak hand. He claims it helps a bunch. I can confirm, he out shoots me. Apparently I am shorting myself since I don't have the use of the left eye.

Just wondering about suggestions. Is my situation different than his since I don't have stereo vision?   Should I take the time to practice left handed, or keep the patch on? I tried shouldering the gun on the left side and it felt REALLY strange. I do most of my hunting with an over/under (safety on top of receiver, not @ trigger guard) and no ejection issues

View Quote
I don't bird hunt but am cross dominant. I am primarily right handed but left eye dominant. As a child learning to shoot it felt much more comfortable to shoot left handed. So quite  by accident I ended up cross training from the beginning. Now it's actually weird for me to shoot right handed. So for all intensive purposes I am right handed in almost everything ACCEPT firearms and bows. Those I can manage right handed, but it is not and never has been my natural shooting position.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm right-hand, left eye dominate; when I shoot clay I wear a piece of scotch tape on my left eye (shooting glasses) that forces the right to take over.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I was shooting a cheap Russian made over/under, a Baikal,  and then I took a one on one sporting clays lesson a couple of years ago.

My shooting coach let me borrow his semi-automatic Beretta A400.

The frame or receiver has to be longer on a semi-auto...to accomodate getting a 2.75" shell into and out of the gun.  Plus the barrel might have been a couple inches longer.

So all told, that put the muzzle farther out away from my eyes.  I think that made all the difference.

Plus the epiphany I had that I had to stay mentally focused on the clay bird.  Any time my eyes or mind would shift to "Where is the end of the gun?". Or "How much lead should I give it?". = a miss all the time.  It was very Zen like.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't bird hunt but am cross dominant. I am primarily right handed but left eye dominant. As a child learning to shoot it felt much more comfortable to shoot left handed. So quite  by accident I ended up cross training from the beginning. Now it's actually weird for me to shoot right handed. So for all intensive purposes I am right handed in almost everything ACCEPT firearms and bows. Those I can manage right handed, but it is not and never has been my natural shooting position.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate it when my purposes are intensive.

I think the phrase you are looking for is "for all intents and purposes"
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#31]
BT/DT
If, like the OP, you don't have stereoscopic binocular vision, it doesn't matter which eye / hand combination you use, you will not be a world-class wingshot, and probably not even a particularly good one. Shotgunning is greatly dependent on the depth perception that OP lacks.  

However, continuing to shoot shotgun weak-eyed is certainly maximizing your handicap. Eye patch, etc. isn't going to change that.

Minimize your handicap: use your dominant eye. Learn to use the "wrong" shoulder and hand.

You'll still suck, but not nearly as bad

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
If you wear glasses, Buck Gardner (of duck call fame) puts a blot of chap stick on the inside of the lens over the eye he wants handicapped.  That still allows for some periphery but when he shoots he gets his dominant eye feeding his brain info.

I'd say if you shoot enough left handed, you'll develop the muscle memory necessary to work the problem out that way too.  Good luck OP!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View Quote
I'm right handed, left eye dominant just like you, I never could shoot right handed, learned on the left. I've also got the lazy eye and no stereovision like you. I use one eye at a time, never both. The "unused" eye is just peripheral vision. On top of this I'm terribly near sighted i hold books and my phone about 3" from my face without my glasses and I'm only 22yo. I used to shoot 23/25 in trap when I was in high school so it can be done. I have no trouble shooting as good as my friends and cousins of same age and experience. We've been getting a lot of dove this month

Use the good eye for sure, the hands can get used to it, your eyes only change for the worse! I shoot pistols right handed and rifles, shotguns left handed since I started

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I am right handed and left eye dominant.  I use a dot for skeet shooting - I've taken to just closing one eye hunting birds though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

For any type of shotgun shooting, shoot on the shoulder of your dominate eye, and try to keep both eyes open.  Don't close an eye or wear a patch, you will never shoot to your potential.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Me too.  But you "forget" one thing......

You are shooting with both eyes open, but your dominant right eye is the one you use to aim the shotgun.  You do it without even thinking about it.  It is VERY difficult to over-power a dominant eye.

OP would probably do better to shoulder the shotgun on the left shoulder and shoot with both eyes open.  He will "automatically" aim with his dominant left eye.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't help you with the eye thing. But I've always shot a shotgun both eyes open.
And have bird hunted for many years.

Me too.  But you "forget" one thing......

You are shooting with both eyes open, but your dominant right eye is the one you use to aim the shotgun.  You do it without even thinking about it.  It is VERY difficult to over-power a dominant eye.

OP would probably do better to shoulder the shotgun on the left shoulder and shoot with both eyes open.  He will "automatically" aim with his dominant left eye.

That is my goal - to be able to use both eyes. It just won't work on the right side. I'll try it left handed just to see.

All these years. Funny how it just never occurred to me to do anything differently.

Definition of insanity and all that...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hmmm. Worth a try. Part of my visual challenge is that my eyes are not lined up. This is hard to explain to people with normal stereo vision. I don't look like I have a "wall-eye" but if you picture your two eyes looking essentially parallel, mine would be sort of off from that center. Typically, my left eye is looking straight ahead, and the right eye is off to the side by just a few degrees. If doesn't look that way to others, but in vision tests, that is the result. So when I switch eyes, I get a really severe shift in perspective, especially at sight distance at the end of my shotgun. Funny thing is I assumed this was normal until I was in my late 20's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really interesting.  Does your brain compensate for this, or do you have a blind spot of sorts in the center of your vision?  I can't imagine the world without stereo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, do you find aim point-stlye sights difficult to use?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Both my wife and youngest step son are right handed and left eye dominant.  The first time I took him shooting he couldn't hit a barn from the inside.  He had to learn to shoot left handed.

Kind of clumsy, but necessary.

View Quote

I'm that way as well.  Right handed, left eyed.

I just learned to shoot rifles and shotguns lefty.  Works fine.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#43]
For those suggesting to simply keep both eyes open, know that it doesn't always work if you don't have a true dominant eye.  I'm right handed and mildly left eye dominant, meaning 6-7 times out of 10 when I shoulder a shotgun my dominant eye takes over.  The other 3-4 times the non-dominant eye tries to take over and I see two barrels.   Both eyes open won't work with two barrels.  Yea, I know you really should "see" the barrel but there it it in the bottom of your vision.  

I'm right handed and left eye dominant.  I'm predominantly a duck hunter.  I switched to wingshooting left handed about 25 years ago so at this point it's natural to pick up a shotgun left handed.   Start now and go shoot as much skeet/sporting clays as possible.   After a case of shells it won't feel so odd.   After a season of hunting you'll no longer have the urge to switch back.  Couple of things have helped me.  I really like the Champion Easy Hit sight.  Fiber optic sight with the pipe down a tube.  You can only see the "dot" with the eye over the barrel.   Made a huge difference for me.  Less than $20.  One other thing I've done, is my optometrist has given me sample contacts with a slightly weaker Rx for my non-dominant eye.  Similar to the chap stick on the glasses, but doesn't work if you don't wear contacts.   -J

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's really interesting.  Does your brain compensate for this, or do you have a blind spot of sorts in the center of your vision?  I can't imagine the world without stereo.
View Quote

It does give me a blind spot in the middle of the weak(right) eye if both eyes are open. When I went through months of visual therapy, I could identify it all the time.

It goes away quickly (but not quite instantly) when I shut the left eye. The lack of stereo vision has made me compensate in lots of ways that turn out to be pretty typical for people like me. Too bad we didn't figure it out when I was 8 years old. Apparently at that age, with exercises, fusion can be achieved. I can get fusion, but according to the doc's I've seen, the brain gives me double vision when I do that because that is what it is used to. Double vision is not fun.

As far as Aimpoints...I probably don't use them correctly. I shut my left eye anytime I use any sights with a rifle. Frankly, I've not spent enough time with rifles to really know.

Using a hand gun is okay. I shoot right handed but shift it to the left to use the dominant eye for aiming.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am left eye dominant..I just shoot with my right eye...and leave both eyes open...
View Quote

Me too. I never knew this was a huge issue until people here start talking about it. Hell, I didn't even know my left eye was dominant until I was in my 20's and had been shooting 15 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm that way as well. Right handed, left eyed.

I just learned to shoot rifles and shotguns lefty. Works fine.
View Quote

I even threw toy guns up to my left shoulder as a kid, it's so ingrained now it feels completely awkward to try it on the right. I also have no, or very little stereoptic vision. My brain has apparently wired around it. I only notice it when I flare a little high for the first few landings after not having flown for a while.

Pistols ambidextrous, shoot pool left as well. Everything else right handed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#47]
If you have a strong dominant eye - switch hands.  We get some kids that have very week dormancy - which is a bigger problem, because whichever eye is obstructed (by sights) becomes their week eye it seems.  Putting a little bit of scotch magic tape on their shooting glasses works well (it is frosted, not clear).  They can not see dead center to aim, but can keep good peripheral with their week eye.  Plus it does not cause the eye strain that closing 1 eye does.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#48]
pistol both eyes open rifle/shotgun right handed
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Left eye dominate but shot my whole life right handed
Rifle Pistol and Shotgun
I close my left eye when I shoot

I can shoot a rifle left handed, with care

I would just go with it and use the patch
And BTW I suck at wing shooting
View Quote

Most likely because your shooting with the wrong hand.

Wing shooting is completely different than rifle/pistol.  If you're not shooting off the shoulder matched to your dominate eye you will suck.  

Good wing shooting is more like baseball, your focus should be 100 percent on the target, and only barely notice the gun in the peripheral vision.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I am worse than cross dominant. I am NON dominant.  my eye dominance shifts with the target.  as it crosses my nose,  left to right, my right eye takes over.  

it was HELL learning to shoot a shotgun. took forever to figure out.

a lot depends on age and natural ability. I was younger, and am ambidextrous. I have learned to shoot almost any gun from either hand, equally well, although I'm better at certain aspects from each side.

if you're older and have no tendency to ambidexterity, i'd use tape.  I used a thin piece of scotch tape right at my break point and that worked till I learned to control my dominance. now I can control it by squinting.

so I'd say tape over the lens, but not the whole thing,just a tiny dot over your bead when your gun is mounted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top