Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/21/2014 10:04:29 PM EDT
Anyone here have one or has previously owned one?

If so, tell me about them.

About a month ago, a guy raced what was almost a stock Cayman S over at Barber and I got to looking at it.

When I went to get my Frontier from CarMax in Savannah, they had an '06 sitting on the showroom floor and it was immaculate.  Had about 44k on it with the 3.4 (which I suppose is the S engine) as opposed to the 2.9 and it has the 6 speed manual.  Has the Bose system and all the other Porsche goodies such as humongous brakes.

All the '06s I have been looking at are around low to upper mid '20s and I will pay cash if I get one.

Been Jonesing for one since I saw the one at Barber.  I gotta go back to Savannah on Wednesday and am gonna drive it if they still have it.

Yeah, I know, it's not a 911 but I prefer the setup on the Cayman with the midengine instead of the engine hanging out back.  Oh, I love 911s but I am really digging the Cayman.

So, for those who have actually owned one, currently own one, or perhaps work at a Porsche dealership, what do you think of the Cayman S?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice cars... they'll outhandle most other cars out there... including 911s. Porsche nerfed the Cayman so it wouldn't unseat the 911 is the king.

I had a Boxster a few years back. Handles the same, very well balanced. Loves to turn. Not the fastest in a straight line, but no slouch either.

I test drove a Cayman S in 06 or 07. Felt much the same, but with a hard top. The only disappointing thing was cabin noise. It seemed noisier to me than my Boxster with the top up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw one today sitting across from me at a stop light.  Damn sexy car.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I pick up mine from the factory next week. I had been debating getting the 911 but it was too costly to get anything beyond the base model so I looked at the cayman S.  Much cheaper but allows you to get a well balanced sports car. Took a test drive and was sold on it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I test drove 1, and thought long and hard about buying it.  But I decided to get the 911.  

Seriously, I think they're great cars, and you won't be disappointed.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pick up mine from the factory next week. I had been debating getting the 911 but it was too costly to get anything beyond the base model so I looked at the cayman S.  Much cheaper but allows you to get a well balanced sports car. Took a test drive and was sold on it.
View Quote

Euro delivery, FTW!!  I'd love to do this!!

I'll probably order a new car in 2 years, and I'm already working on getting the wife talked into this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I think they are fugly look like.Toureg and boxster had a baby.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]

I want a signal green Cayman S Sport:

The orange doesn't suck either:

You want to make sure it has the adaptive sport seats and the chrono package.

Oh, and slap this on:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=185

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You in Germany?  Based there?

I just wonder what the difference in a German home market Cayman S and the US version.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think they are fugly look like.Toureg and boxster had a baby.
View Quote

What color is the one you own?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just wonder what the difference in a German home market Cayman S and the US version.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go here.

This is the arfcom of Porsche.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/47909651.jpg

http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/987-cayman-boxster-chat/45028d1392525695-how-do-i-price-2008-cayman-s-sport-img_3813.jpg

Oh, and slap this on:

View Quote

It's most likely gonna be an '06 because that's in the price range I am willing lay out cash for and I ain't gonna finance anything so the options will be whatever is on the one I get.

If I get it, I will look at the Sharwerks.

I will probably sell the AE if I do get it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Cayman = womans car

Cayman S = dudes car

Cayman R = Mans car
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Go here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go here.

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummmmmmm, GT1s.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's most likely gonna be an '06 because that's in the price range I am willing lay out cash for and I ain't gonna finance anything so the options will be whatever is on the one I get.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/987-cayman-boxster-chat/45028d1392525695-how-do-i-price-2008-cayman-s-sport-img_3813.jpg

Oh, and slap this on:

Nooooooo!

Some places to look for used ones:

http://rennlist.com/forums/marketplace/cars/search/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, and slap this on:

I was happy with the factory sport exhaust on the 1 I drove, but it was a '14.

I have no idea what an '06 sounds like.  I do hear lots of good things about Sharkwerks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cayman = womans car

Cayman S = dudes car

Cayman R = Mans car
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

About a month ago, a guy raced what was almost a stock Cayman S over at Barber and I got to looking at it.

When I went to get my Frontier from CarMax in Savannah, they had an '06 sitting on the showroom floor and it was immaculate.  Had about 44k on it with the 3.4 (which I suppose is the S engine) as opposed to the 2.9 and it has the 6 speed manual.  Has the Bose system and all the other Porsche goodies such as humongous brakes.

All the '06s I have been looking at are around low to upper mid '20s and I will pay cash if I get one.

Been Jonesing for one since I saw the one at Barber.  I gotta go back to Savannah on Wednesday and am gonna drive it if they still have it.

Yeah, I know, it's not a 911 but I prefer the setup on the Cayman with the midengine instead of the engine hanging out back.  Oh, I love 911s but I am really digging the Cayman.

So, for those who have actually owned one, currently own one, or perhaps work at a Porsche dealership, what do you think of the Cayman S?
View Quote

Out of curiosity, why not consider a C6 corvette?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because no.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Fun little cars for sure and in a way a better handling car than the 911. Porsche de-tuned the Cayman's a bit so they won't compete with the 911 but make sure you get the smaller IMS version with revised RMS. I have a '06 911, I seriously looked at the Cayman but wanted the "backseat" of the 911.

Look up Jake Raby, he's a big-time Porsche tuner and inventor of a revised larger IMS that plagued the earlier engines. '06+ had the revised, smaller IMS that greatly reduced the grenade function with that engine. Ping me if you have specific questions, while I don't know a lot about the Cayman I do know some about the drivetrains that it shares with the 911.

When you find one you want to move on, DO get an Independant PPI to ensure you're not buying someone's problems.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fun little cars for sure and in a way a better handling car than the 911. Porsche de-tuned the Cayman's a bit so they won't compete with the 911 but make sure you get the smaller IMS version with revised RMS. I have a '06 911, I seriously looked at the Cayman but wanted the "backseat" of the 911.

Look up Jake Raby, he's a big-time Porsche tuner and inventor of a revised larger IMS that plagued the earlier engines. '06+ had the revised, smaller IMS that greatly reduced the grenade function with that engine. Ping me if you have specific questions, while I don't know a lot about the Cayman I do know some about the drivetrains that it shares with the 911.

When you find one you want to move on, DO get an Independant PPI to ensure you're not buying someone's problems.
View Quote

You bet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go here.

Yep, there's a bunch of good and very knowagabke guys overe there; many having owned Porsche's all their lives. I'm over there as well, in fact I posted about having to deploy a can of Porsche goop into a tire today. NOT FUN but it does work.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone on here works in a Porsche shop. I remember him not being kind to them .
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cayman = womans car

Cayman S = dudes car

Cayman R = Mans car

I hate my life

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep, there's a bunch of good and very knowagabke guys overe there; many having owned Porsche's all their lives. I'm over there as well, in fact I posted about having to deploy a can of Porsche goop into a tire today. NOT FUN but it does work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go here.

I took a quick look earlier and a couple of threads about buying an '06 were there.

Everyone said good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Someone on here works in a Porsche shop. I remember him not being kind to them .
View Quote

In what respect?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've looked at them briefly too, read that the engines can take a dump without warning and you are out 22k or so
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bought a 2006 Cayman S when they came out. Mild mods; tune, ps pully, tubi exhaust.  Nuked the engine at VIR (some fun oiling issues with the gen 1 cars).  About 24k later, it had a 3.8 X51 and was a whole different beast.  Unfortunately I wanted more...sold the CS and while waiting for a GT3 I bought a Turbo.  Fast and beautiful but numb, very very numb.  Not to mention the 10 day jail trip for reckless driving (Virginia FTW).  Sold the Turbo, bought an Abarth, and do 90 percent of my track time on motorcycles now (Abarth is proof a slow car fast is tons of fun).

Long story short, the CS is an awesome car, handles and drives like a dream. If you track a gen 1 car, please make sure to research he oiling issues and check out the latest fixes.  Check out Planet-9 as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife had a '03 Boxster. It was slow-ish, but a blast to drive. The Cayman S is a lot of fun. I think I would pick a 911, but it'd be a heck of a track car. The late 911's are pretty balanced for a over engineered beetle
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#29]
This would not be a track car.  I spend enough time at tracks as it is.

ETA:  Petit Lemans is 2 weeks from yesterday.  I gotta be there a week from Tuesday morning at 0700.

Working Start on Tuesday, corners (hopefully 12) the rest of the week.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Very nice cars... they'll outhandle most other cars out there... including 911s. Porsche nerfed the Cayman so it wouldn't unseat the 911 is the king.

I had a Boxster a few years back. Handles the same, very well balanced. Loves to turn. Not the fastest in a straight line, but no slouch either.

I test drove a Cayman S in 06 or 07. Felt much the same, but with a hard top. The only disappointing thing was cabin noise. It seemed noisier to me than my Boxster with the top up.
View Quote

Small correction - they would, a) if power were equal across both or possibly b) both had novice drivers. I think you'll find most experienced Porsche drivers will outlap the Cayman with the 911 (base to base, or S to S).
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, based in Germany. I got the US spec version. Not sure what is difference is but I wanted to be able to bring it back to the states.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've looked at them briefly too, read that the engines can take a dump without warning and you are out 22k or so
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Larger IMS found on 996 and '05's....there's a preventative fix for those from Flat-6 engineering.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Awesome car. I personally love the design the most of the Porsche lineup. Mid engine is cool, though I don't know how badly that affects DIY maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I was looking at the same thing, but I can't make it work.  

Tag for reviews, though.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow, I had no idea they had become affordable to commoners like myself

I'll have to take a closer look in a year or so when I'm shopping for a toy car.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tag for reviews, though.  
View Quote

Why not?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Why not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tag for reviews, though.  

Why not?

*sigh*

I only have one parking spot, so I can only have one car.  That car has to able to be used for business purposes if I'm working locally, and I can't fit the equipment in it.  Even a Cheyenne is pushing it.  

I could try to get another parking spot, for $20k, but I can't justify having two cars when I barely use one.  

And even if I did get froggy about another spot, that's $20k I could be putting toward a bigger condo that comes with 2 spots.  

What is more torturous is that a penthouse unit just came available for way, way less than normal.  I'm $100k short of it being within striking distance.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

*sigh*

I only have one parking spot, so I can only have one car.  That car has to able to be used for business purposes if I'm working locally, and I can't fit the equipment in it.  Even a Cheyenne is pushing it.  

I could try to get another parking spot, for $20k, but I can't justify having two cars when I barely use one.  

And even if I did get froggy about another spot, that's $20k I could be putting toward a bigger condo that comes with 2 spots.  

What is more torturous is that a penthouse unit just came available for way, way less than normal.  I'm $100k short of it being within striking distance.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag for reviews, though.  

Why not?

*sigh*

Leave your other car at work and then use the cayman to go back and forth to work.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Your right is's not a 911, but with a little work, it is a barrel of monkeys!  I have a coworker who drives one daily.  He made his look like the newer GT4, and he put motor and suspension work into it.

This is similar.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Leave your other car at work and then use the cayman to go back and forth to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tag for reviews, though.  

Why not?

*sigh*

I travel out of state frequently.  They don't know me at the local office.  I don't report there, except for mail purposes.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

*sigh*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag for reviews, though.  

Why not?

*sigh*

Lease an enclosed storage spot for it.  Probably $100 a month or less.

Less expensive, keeps it out of the weather, and most gates are code controlled so you can get in any time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I had an 06 CS for 6 years.  Great car!  I even shipped it with me to Dubai.  I just recently replaced it with a 2012 Turbo Cab and sold the CS to a very nice Irish guy living in Muscat, Oman.  

While great out of the box, the Cayman can be improved with a few mods.  For an exhaust, I would look at the FVD Brombacher Sound Edition.  Awesome sound, but no drone.  Sounds far better than my turbo imho.  Couple it with an IPD Plenum, GT3 throttle body and FVD software and you will have some useful gains (though I never dynoed it).  

While not as fast in the straights as a 911 CS, the handling is better in the corners.  They are immense fun to drive hard, but also remarkably comfy on a long trip.  I did 16 hour journeys in mine.  It's actually one of the things people complain about on test drives.  They can feel a little soft and the tossable side doesn't come out until you hit the twisties, which is rarely permitted on a test drive.  

You can also do suspension upgrades or even the TPC turbo kit of course if you want to turn it into more of a track car. I didn't do that but I did add a 3rd radiator.  

Porsches vary a lot in options but the used price does not vary much.  I would look for PASM, Sports Chrono (though you can add this later), and if you can find it, the leather interior.  Also rain sensing wipers/auto dimming mirrors is useful. Sports seats are also very good.

If you like a good sound system, try not to get the non-upgradable Bose system.  The CRD-24 is dire, but you can rip it out.  Or get the exhaust and never bother with it.

Above all, if you are getting an 06 get the manual, not the tiptronic. Gen 2 had PDK as an option.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Oh, and the difference between US spec and Euro spec is minimal.  It's mainly silly US required stuff like seatbelt buzzers.  It's just enough stuff to make it uneconomic to ship a Euro spec car to the US.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Your right is's not a 911, but with a little work, it is a barrel of monkeys!  I have a coworker who drives one daily.  He made his look like the newer GT4, and he put motor and suspension work into it.

This is similar.

View Quote

Is that wing mounted where the automatic wing normally goes?

Looks like it might be in a fixed position.

To me, that being fixed like that and the way it looks would take care of my only complaint with the looks and probably works better.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would look for PASM, Sports Chrono (though you can add this later), and if you can find it, the leather interior.  Also rain sensing wipers/auto dimming mirrors is useful. Sports seats are also very good.

If you like a good sound system, try not to get the non-upgradable Bose system.  The CRD-24 is dire, but you can rip it out.  Or get the exhaust and never bother with it.

Above all, if you are getting an 06 get the manual, not the tiptronic. Gen 2 had PDK as an option.
View Quote

Very much yes on all of these, although the sport seat is manually operated except for the recline.  I preferred it and had it in all my cars, but it isn't for everyone.  Power seat or adaptive sport seats if you want more comfort / padding / features.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I had an 06 CS for 6 years.  Great car!  I even shipped it with me to Dubai.  I just recently replaced it with a 2012 Turbo Cab and sold the CS to a very nice Irish guy living in Muscat, Oman.  

While great out of the box, the Cayman can be improved with a few mods.  For an exhaust, I would look at the FVD Brombacher Sound Edition.  Awesome sound, but no drone.  Sounds far better than my turbo imho.  Couple it with an IPD Plenum, GT3 throttle body and FVD software and you will have some useful gains (though I never dynoed it).  

While not as fast in the straights as a 911 CS, the handling is better in the corners.  They are immense fun to drive hard, but also remarkably comfy on a long trip.  I did 16 hour journeys in mine.  It's actually one of the things people complain about on test drives.  They can feel a little soft and the tossable side doesn't come out until you hit the twisties, which is rarely permitted on a test drive.  

You can also do suspension upgrades or even the TPC turbo kit of course if you want to turn it into more of a track car. I didn't do that but I did add a 3rd radiator.  

Porsches vary a lot in options but the used price does not vary much.  I would look for PASM, Sports Chrono (though you can add this later), and if you can find it, the leather interior.  Also rain sensing wipers/auto dimming mirrors is useful. Sports seats are also very good.

View Quote

I don't do automatics at all.

As for the rest, it won't be a track car and I will go with what is available in an '06.  I will look for the things you listed.

I can, as you said, upgrade later.

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

To me, that being fixed like that and the way it looks would take care of my only complaint with the looks and probably works better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is similar.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUOak0-lT-Xa_w_OkIj9YKGh5cubqXNC9rEoqkxrRDh9Xugs3w

The one on my coworkers car is fixed.  He also has Kenesis wheels, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket coil overs and a turbo.  I don't know all the specifics, but it's worked on at Wicked Motorsports in Southern California.

It has been reliable.  It is an 08. And I love to drive it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As for the rest, it won't be a track car and I will go with what is available in an '06.  I will look for the things you listed.

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the PASM?

The Sports Chrono?

I haven't bought a porsche, yet probably someday.
But I suggest you read up on all the packages within the years you're looking for so you don't get loved tenderly when you make a purchase. It's confusing as hell.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#49]
They're fun, just have to watch options like any Porsche. I considered getting a Cayman/Boxster GTS....but ended up just getting an M4.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow, I had no idea they had become affordable to commoners like myself

I'll have to take a closer look in a year or so when I'm shopping for a toy car.
View Quote

Yep, used Porsches can be pretty damn reasonable. I bought my 01 Boxster in late 06 for less than $20k. I put a new top on it (did most of it myself, paid a top installer to adjust it, spent less than $1k on it) and replaced the water pump myself at about 55k miles for cheap. I had to replace the brake pads and put a set of tires on it... oil changes about once a year... Pretty reliable car, and very daily driveable. Handles like a go-kart, but doesn't feel raw and bare like one.

My roommate picked up an 02 911 Carrera for $18k earlier this year. It's not in GREAT shape, but it runs like a raped ape when you get on it. Porsches are hella fun to drive. Maybe someday I'll get another.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top