Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/21/2014 5:34:52 PM EDT
"Kurdish fighters from Turkey and Iraq are scrambling to help defend a vital Kurdish safe haven in northern Syria, where tens of thousands of Kurds have fled after an offensive by Islamic State (Isis) militants.

The border region of Kobani, home to half a million people, has held out for months against an onslaught by Islamists seeking to consolidate their hold over swaths of northern Syria.

But in recent days, Isis extremists have seized a series of settlements close to the town of Kobani itself, sending as many as 100,000 mostly Kurdish refugees streaming across the border into Turkey."

"A Kurdish commander on the ground said Isis had advanced to within 9 miles (15km) of Kobani.

A Kurdish politician from Turkey who visited Kobani on Saturday said locals told him Isis fighters were beheading people as they went from village to village."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/21/kurds-defend-kobani-syria-turkey-border-isis
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck Kurds

They wil sure as hell fight
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been saying for the last two years that the US Administration is supporting the wrong side in Syria
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]

We need to drop them some crew served goodness and several tons of mines.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
FBHO & those he supports in the Middle East ...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The Kurds are tough and can handle their own business.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Never gonna happen. These Kurds are the PKK/YPG, communists who are listed by the US state department on the official terrorist organizations list.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

From your lips to God's ears.

The Kurds are under gunned and they were in bad trouble before the US started bombing ISIS artillery and vehicles in Iraq. Obama promised air support in Syria, and if the opposition is going to beat neck choppers then the bombs better start falling.

Why aren't the bombs falling?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never gonna happen. These Kurds are the PKK/YPG, communists who are listed by the US state department on the official terrorist organizations list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious, if it were not for politics how would the State Department list the Syrian rebels?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An enemy of my enemy...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just curious, if it were not for politics how would the State Department list the Syrian rebels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Syrian rebels ought to be listed as terrorists, not the secular, democratic Kurds.

Please don't confuse my statement of the facts for an endorsement of the situation.

If I had the means I'd be with the YPG right now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
There are many here who think we should do nothing to aid the Kurds or anyone else on the planet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#13]
We should have been supporting the Kurds from the beginning, other than that Israel, and Kuwait, I would let the rest of the Mideast choke on bag of dicks. Anyone of them will back stab the US the first chance they get, even the Saudis.

The Kurds are the only hope for democratic pro US government in the Mideast, the rest only understand chaos, or totalitarian dictatorships.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Kurds are under gunned and they were in bad trouble before the US started bombing ISIS artillery and vehicles in Iraq. Obama promised air support in Syria, and if the opposition is going to beat neck choppers then the bombs better start falling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

They badly need gear and logistical support.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I heard Obama denied small arms and ammo sales to the Kurds......the good ole USA really knows how to screw the Kurds.  

PS I realize this GD, but come on.....the Kurds are decent people.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought we were doing airstrikes to stop ISIS from overwhelming the Kurds?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
For the 87th time.

There is no Kurdish hive mond or government.

There is no Syrian rebel hive mind or government.

It is a ridiculously complex stew of factions and interests over there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.

French bombs
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For the 87th time.

View Quote

The weak shall perish?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

French bombs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.

French bombs

We've bombed ISIS within the last week, just not up near the Kurds that I'm aware of.  We've been bombing them for a bit now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We've bombed ISIS within the last week, just not up near the Kurds that I'm aware of.  We've been bombing them for a bit now.
View Quote

The USA seems to bombing them just enough to look like we're doing something for the news cycle without actually affecting the outcome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Did every tribe form it's own group?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The USA seems to bombing them just enough to look like we're doing something for the news cycle without actually affecting the outcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is zero consensus to really affect any outcome other than to do just that.  Make them hurt, limit their efforts to consolidate and further advance in Iraq.  The rest is not our fight at this time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strong domestic pressure to not get heavily involved in another war in the ME.  The American people seem to have trouble with more than one major commitment per generation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A shitload of those groups are foreign.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.

French bombs

I seem to remember Assad not being willing to accept airstrikes on Syrian territory unless his government was an equal partner/they occurred under his approval/whatever.

I don't think, so far, there have been any US strikes in Syria. The Iraqi Kurds are doing fine, now that they're being supported by international air and SOF. Prior to that, the PKK/YPG had to come from Syria to support them. In fact, it was YPG forces (again, listed as terrorists by the US state department) who saved the Yezidis that were stranded on the mountain, after the Peshmerga stripped off their uniforms and fled like the IA did.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Not the first time we have turned our backs on the Kurds

It's sickening considering they protected u.s troops I Kurdish held territory .. In Kurdistan they made it clear if Americans were killed they would take revenge on Iraqis 10 times fold ...and it worked. I'm Sure I don't need to tell the bag of heads story
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, there not well liked in the Middle East and won't get much support from the likes of Turkey and such.
If we don't don't send them something to fight with their going beat bad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have been saying for the last two years that the US Administration is supporting the wrong side in Syria
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For the 87th time.

View Quote

You're wasting your time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For the 87th time.

View Quote

You're right, of course, but do you think there is an entity with the "Syrian rebels" who actually stand a chance of defeating the islamists and forming a government?

From what I've seen, all of the good guys in the reform movement have by now, been killed by the likes of Al-Nusra, ISIS, or the Muslim Brotherhood forces, or have gone over to supporting Assad as a lesser of two evils.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#37]
What does it take to travel to one of the countries ISIS is active in, and join the fighters on the ground against them?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What does it take to travel to one of the countries ISIS is active in, and join the fighters on the ground against them?

View Quote

Enough money for a plane ticket to Erbil International Airport would probably suffice. Then some cash to buy your gear. But you're probably gonna have a hard time doing anything useful if you don't speak Kurdish or at least arabic.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.

French bombs

Just wait for the circus when a pilot gets shot down and captured.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You're right, of course, but do you think there is an entity with the "Syrian rebels" who actually stand a chance of defeating the islamists and forming a government?

From what I've seen, all of the good guys in the reform movement have by now, been killed by the likes of Al-Nusra, ISIS, or the Muslim Brotherhood forces, or have gone over to supporting Assad as a lesser of two evils.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the 87th time.

I think our window of opportunity has passed, but I am hardly an expert on Syria.  Alas, disruption of ISIL efforts in Iraq and Syria both is the current US government stated intent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably find a Kurd to travel with. There have been a couple hundred from here that have gone over to fight them and other countries as wellness your best bet. Getting gear is as simple as buying it the local gun bazaar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Enough money for a plane ticket to Erbil International Airport would probably suffice. Then some cash to buy your gear. But you're probably gonna have a hard time doing anything useful if you don't speak Kurdish or at least arabic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't even bring my own gear?

Fuck.

I barely passed Spanish after taking it for 7 years, I doubt I'll learn Arabic in time to get on the front lines against ISIS.

US Military has already deemed me medically ineligible, so mercenary for another country is my best option to go after these fucks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I have to ask, quite honestly, why we should give a fuck about anyone in that region.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

An enemy of my enemy...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An enemy of my enemy...

...is my enemy's other enemy.  Not necessarily my friend.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An enemy of my enemy...

The one thing I don't want to do is destroy one monster while creating another. Is there any way we can supply the most Pro-US groups instead?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fuck.

I barely passed Spanish after taking it for 7 years, I doubt I'll learn Arabic in time to get on the front lines against ISIS.

US Military has already deemed me medically ineligible, so mercenary for another country is my best option to go after these fucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck.

Guns no but don't see why you couldn't bring optics mags maybe even plates and carrier. I'm sure you even mail to yourself your not shipping anything illegal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll tell you this much for free; if this Kurdish force gets over run and defeated in Syria, then there is going to be a narrower group of 'boots on the ground' shooting at the neck choppers.

Every time ISIS beats one of it's enemies the chances that our boys are going to have to go back over there go up.

If you don't want US ground troops nation building in Syria, then we need bomb the neck choppers before they kill their enemies off, and we need to start sooner rather than later.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have to ask, quite honestly, why we should give a fuck about anyone in that region.
View Quote

We don't, but we don't want to play a home game against these people, either.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Syria won't allow us to intervene as long as we refuse to support Assad's government. Let the Middle East deal with Middle East problems. They have plenty of money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top