BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't wear one and your insurance or the other guy's insurance company will reduce the payout by the % to which you can be determined to be contributorily negligent for your injuries.  Chew on that.
View Quote

And that's the free market solution.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we're all paying for our own medical costs, anti-gunners are fine with no guns. Unfortunately, we're moving more and more towards sharing each other's medical costs. If everyone is picking up the tab, anti-gunners are taking your guns.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Seat belt laws, helmet laws, large soda and sugary snack laws, etc., etc.  Should you? Yes. Should there be a law? No. It's just nanny state bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's my take on it and always has been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seat belt laws are bullshit.

Yep. If I'm too stupid to wear it oh fucking well. I don't need protection from myself.

Seems like an odd dividing line, the seat belt doesn't offer much protection at all. Somehow to not wear a seat belt is "fucking stupid" but to not wear a helmet and/or neck protection is 100% rational.  The government made up a law, used a bunch or propaganda and brainwashed a bunch of people into agreeing with the propaganda.

Yep I get it, seat belts help keep people inside the car, why not use the safety protection available, but why call people "fucking stupid" for not wearing a seat belt meanwhile people riding around on motorcycles(helmet or not)are not "fucking stupid"? I use a cycle for daily transportation and ATGATT head to toe but even still I am way more vulnerable than the guy not wearing his seat belt in a car.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't want to wear your seatbelt?

Fine, don't expect the taxpayers to patch your stupid ass up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like brainiac got his head crushed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seems like an odd dividing line, the seat belt doesn't offer much protection at all. Somehow to not wear a seat belt is "fucking stupid" but to not wear a helmet and/or neck protection is 100% rational.  The government made up a law, used a bunch or propaganda and brainwashed a bunch of people into agreeing with the propaganda.

Yep I get it, seat belts help keep people inside the car, why not use the safety protection available, but why call people "fucking stupid" for not wearing a seat belt meanwhile people riding around on motorcycles(helmet or not)are not "fucking stupid"? I use a cycle for daily transportation and ATGATT head to toe but even still I am way more vulnerable than the guy not wearing his seat belt in a car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. If I'm too stupid to wear it oh fucking well. I don't need protection from myself.

Re: motorcycles, we need the donor organs.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The real question is why doesnt the government mandate a helmet and nomex suit while riding in a car?

The children need to be safe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a donor and keep them protected the best I can.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/21/4-kids-killed-in-pennsylvania-crash-werent-restrained-authorities-say/?intcmp=latestnews

Not only just that but if I have mine on, you are in the car with me and you don't use your seat belt you can fly into me.

video of someone flying inside the car
View Quote

You have the choice to ride or not ride with people who wear their belt, or choose not to.

That you don't exercise this freedom, and instead expect the state to tell people how to take care of themselves (by ridiculous monetary punishment) tells me your views on society aren't one bit different than Nanny Bloomberg.

I detest people who think like you do.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The real question is why doesnt the government mandate a helmet and nomex suit while riding in a car?

The children need to be safe.
View Quote

I have asked it a few times but nobody seems to have an answer, the canvas strap is plenty I guess.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I can be convinced for children and then they can make the decision at 18.  New Hampshire does not require seat belts or motorcycle helmets for adults.  Seems to work out just fine here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

In ND for someone under 18 not wearing a seat belt is a primary offense, in which they can be pulled over just for the seat belt. For anyone over 18 it is a secondary offense, in which it can only be enforced if you are pulled over for something else. IIRC adults aren't required to wear seat belts in the back seat. Besides that, a seat belt ticket here (like almost any traffic ticket) is little more than a slap on the wrist.

Seat belt laws are bullshit. There are times that I will choose when or when not to wear one, and it's my decision.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seat belt saved my life one day.  Piled up my Mustang GT, and the belt did its job.
Edit:  I wear a seat belt because they work.....not because it is the law.
View Quote

What proof do you have that shows you would have been killed without  a seatbelt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If you think we need seat belt laws, then you probably think we need laws mandating everything we do.  What about helmets in the shower?  For God's sack man!!!! we the people don't need the government taking care of us period!!!!!!!!

BTW, I wear one because I believe it's a smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#17]

We delude ourselves if we believe we are a free people when the only "right" we have is the right to obey, which is pretty much where we find ourselves these days. And that's not just about seat belts.

Who’s the bigger threat to your safety, a murderer or someone who attempts suicide? The answer is obvious, Yet something strange happens when death comes to the highway, Suddenly, the murder-suicide distinction vanishes, and it’s perfectly acceptable to reduce deaths by punishing those who put only themselves at risk.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I can be convinced for children and then they can make the decision at 18.  
View Quote

Raging libertarian or not (and I am), you're simply not going to convince me that requiring a seatbelt on a public roadway is some sort of terrible burden.   That argument is fucking retarded.

I'm less concerned with idiots getting injured than I am with getting injured by flying idiots.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Motorcycles don't have seatbelts. We should ban all motorcycles, especially since you're so likely to become a projectile in a collision.
View Quote
There is a big difference though. In a bike crash you want to get away from the bike. Generally, in a auto accident, inside the vehicle is the safest place to be. I would wager that wearing seatbelts prevents more serious injuries and deaths more often than not. I still think they should be a choice.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you also agree with being forced to lock up guns while at home in a locked safe behind a locked door?

If not, then you're a twat who has no idea what he agrees with.

If yes, then you're a twat period.

So which is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/21/4-kids-killed-in-pennsylvania-crash-werent-restrained-authorities-say/?intcmp=latestnews

Not only just that but if I have mine on, you are in the car with me and you don't use your seat belt you can fly into me.

Do you also agree with being forced to lock up guns while at home in a locked safe behind a locked door?

If not, then you're a twat who has no idea what he agrees with.

If yes, then you're a twat period.

So which is it?

I agree with Tyman.... Someone check to see if Hell has frozen over
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's a thought, when you have small children in the vehicle, don't drive like a maniac.
People are killed even with seat belts too you know, passing at high speed and losing control if her vehicle would seem to be a bigger issue in this case.

Did like the guy trying to regain control without getting out of his comfy, one hand on the wheel position. If he had pulled it off it would have been awesome but he failed, looked drunk.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't agree with seat belt laws but anyone who doesn't wear one while in a moving vehicle so equipped is a moron.

I also think that if you are so against seat belt usage, you should have to sign a waiver for medical care.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

People involved in accidents while not wearing a seatbelt are far more likely to sustain serious, life changing or fatal injuries than someone who is wearing a seatbelt.

In addiiton, a person not wearing a seatbelt is far more likely to inflict injury on or kill  other passengers in a vehicle in which they are travelling.

I don't know what the cost is in the US, but in the UK the cost of deaths on our roads is approx £1.9 million PER FATALITY, much of which is picked up by the taxpayer - including emergency services, investigations, road closures, medical care, post-mortem, inquest, and a multitude of other costs including costs to local business and trade, interrupted services, lost working hours, traffic jams etc.

The cost of an accident involving serious injury is approx £220,000.

By wearing a seatbelt, it is proven that the risk of sustaining serious, life changing or fatal injuries is significantly reduced, to the extent that it makes it both financially and morally worthwhile implementing laws compelling people to wear a seat-belt.

Unfortunately, there a small group of people who are  morons, and they think that it in some away places a imposition on them to reduce their own chances of being killed, turned into a cabbage, or otherwise maimed. There is therefore a reason why seatbelt laws were implemented in our countries.  It is because some people are too dumb to recognise the consequences and wider effects of not wearing one, and the fact that everybody else ends up paying for it when things go tits up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People involved in accidents while not wearing a seatbelt are far more likely to sustain serious, life changing or fatal injuries than someone who is wearing a seatbelt.

In addiiton, a person not wearing a seatbelt is far more likely to inflict injury on or kill  other passengers in a vehicle in which they are travelling.

I don't know what the cost is in the US, but in the UK the cost of deaths on our roads is approx £1.9 million PER FATALITY, much of which is picked up by the taxpayer - including emergency services, investigations, road closures, medical care, post-mortem, inquest, and a multitude of other costs including costs to local business and trade, interrupted services, lost working hours, traffic jams etc.

By wearing a seatbelt, it is proven that the risk of sustaining serious, life changing or fatal injuries is significantly reduced, to the extent that it makes it both financially and morally worthwhile implementing laws compelling people to wear a seat-belt.

Unfortunately, there a small group of people who are  morons, and they think that it in some away places a imposition on them to reduce their own chances of being killed, turned into a cabbage, or otherwise maimed. There is therefore a reason why seatbelt laws were implemented in our countries.  It is because some people are too dumb to recognise the consequences and wider effects of not wearing one, and the fact that everybody else ends up paying for it when things go tits up.

Why not helmets then? How many head injuries do seat belts prevent as compared to the protection offered by a helmet? Are there any motor racing events that don't require helmets? Why is that?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol ever hear of a roll over?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the fuck do you drive that I am going to be flying into you from the passenger seat?

lol it isn't that hard to keep a 4 wheeler on all for wheels millions of people do it everyday, again how the fuck are you driving that the vehicle is rolling over?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Seatbelt laws are idiocy purchased by the insurance lobby.

Having said that, I'm wearing mine, and if you're in my car you're wearing yours.  My car, my rules.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't care for seatbelt or helmet laws, but only an idiot would not use one. The second you lose control in a car above certain speeds your not going to stay in the seat. Fall off a bike without a helmet and hit the ground or an object just right, say hello to head/brain injuries, lost teeth, broken jaw, etc...
Seatbelts and helmets have saved more lives than have not wearing them. Other wise pilots, race car drivers and racers wouldn't wear them in addition to all the other safety equip.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Morally"?  Did you just say "Morally"?  Financially I might see, but "Morally"?  Since when is it your business to run my life?  Hey, man, that mohawk might cause someone to think you're some kind of toughguy & assault you, therefore you are not allowed to have that haircut.  See how that works?

And I'm sure it's also illegal there to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, and not eat balanced meals and work out, right?  After all, only morons do those things...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Shit, might as well just go full nascar set up. Chest harness, neck brace, full roll cage. If it's for the children then goddamnit let no stone go unturned!
View Quote

If we actually cared about safety, but it's just safety theatre...

One of the cars I drive to work has a full cage and 5 point harnesses in it.  :-)  Can't wear my helmet in it though, it's illegal in my state.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You worry about your own country and quit trying to push your statist bullshit on me
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm an adult.
I don't need my Government making personal decisions for me.

Saint Peter
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Why don't school buses have seat belts?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's simple. Last Friday night I was almost hit by a driver who ran a red light, I was alert and applied the brakes early when I saw they weren't stopping but it wasn't enough. Having ridden a two wheeler for years I know what I would have done on a bike and it was the complete opposite of what I did in a vehicle that weighed that much. There was no way I was going left to avoid something coming from left because if she saw me and hit her brakes I was screwed. I yanked the wheel to the right and skidded into a double drive and luckily had the room to get it back without losing it, also didn't give her something to hit (unless she pulled left). She was going straight and accelerating so I had no option other than the one I took. If I had been on a bike I could have braked hard and simply went around her instead of reacting and getting wound up. I didn't get to sleep until 04:30 or so I was so wound up.

Her actions could have changed any of this I guess and I was still lucky. A motorcyclist worse nightmare is someone stopping, then going, leaving no options, no space, no time, nowhere to go. I always felt safer on a bike because my style of riding assumes everyone else is on the road is trying to kill you. Four wheelers make you complacent and lull you to sleep then they don't give you the braking power, maneuverability, or power (often) to avoid an impact.

Have I rode without a helmet? YES, and it was a calculated risk. Have I driven without a seatbelt? YES. Again, a calculated risk. Both provide more than not much.

My contention has always been that motorcyclists aren't more vulnerable because they are on a motorcycle. They're more vulnerable when they act like they're in a lazy boy, arms in the air, feet sticking out like they're at a gynecologist being examined in the stirrups, and usually on a bike with a crappy rake.

You drive, you decide. It's always been my take. We all must calculate our own risks, and how much is acceptable to us. I have no problem calling someone stupid then in a fit of my own stupidity doing the same after I calculate the risk.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Then again if you're the driver, you don't have to give lifts to anyone who refuses to buckle up.  Tell them to walk if they bitch about it.

I don't know if the Navy really did this or not but we were always warned ... "Medical won't cover your injuries if you weren't wearing a seatbelt / helmet / etc.  You'll have to pay for your own treatment."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then again if you're the driver, you don't have to give lifts to anyone who refuses to buckle up.  Tell them to walk if they bitch about it.

Quoted:
insurance shouldn't cover if you're not wearing a seat-belt.

fuck jacking up my rates to make up for idiots.

I don't know if the Navy really did this or not but we were always warned ... "Medical won't cover your injuries if you weren't wearing a seatbelt / helmet / etc.  You'll have to pay for your own treatment."

Yes, they have what's called a line of duty investigation to determine if your behavior was negligent or in violation of a lawful order.  If you get in a bar fight because you were a drunk shithead that instigated the incident, it's the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

lol it isn't that hard to keep a 4 wheeler on all for wheels millions of people do it everyday, again how the fuck are you driving that the vehicle is rolling over?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the fuck do you drive that I am going to be flying into you from the passenger seat?

Really strange things happen in vehicular accidents, shit just happens in front of you and then you react. Suspension loading and breaking traction makes things happen you wouldn't believe are even possible. It doesn't make it your fault because millions weren't put in that position that day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Your failure to address the points in favour of an ad hominem comment belies your ignorance.

You already have these laws.  I merely provided some context to help inform you as to why.

If you choose not to wear your seatbelt and decide to spray yourself across the road in the event of an accident, then so be it.  At least you will have stuck it to "the man" right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You worry about your own country and quit trying to push your statist bullshit on me

Your failure to address the points in favour of an ad hominem comment belies your ignorance.

You already have these laws.  I merely provided some context to help inform you as to why.

If you choose not to wear your seatbelt and decide to spray yourself across the road in the event of an accident, then so be it.  At least you will have stuck it to "the man" right?

We all agree it's smart and safe to wear them. However it's none of the fucking government's business (yours or mine) how we take care of ourselves. The same costs, risks and injuries can be applied to over-eating, risky sex, sports, but we're not banning those.

So that shit is weak sauce.

The reason we've mandated their use is feel-good nonsense so costly ticket revenue can flow like Mt. Dew through the public coffers.

Period.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes, morally.

Morally because when you are that person who face -plants into his dashboard at 50mph before flying through the windscreen, stoving his head in and becoming nothing more than road pizza, your problems are over.   However every other bugger ends up paying dealing with the aftermathl because you refused to take a sensible precaution that would see you stay alive, make sure others do not have to face the aftermath of your demise, and see the rest of us a few quid better off.
View Quote

And again I ask you: is it illegal there to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, and not eat balanced meals and work out?  Surely, since you're so ready to throw away individual freedoms for the "greater good", then all of those things should be illegal as well.

Honestly, I think this is gonna be one of those "agree to disagree" things, b/c we are never gonna see eye-to-eye.  Maybe it's that England-vs.-'Murka thing: so far as I'm concerned, there should be about 20-30 laws on the books, tops, mostly just to protect children.  Once you hit 18, if you get ground up due to your own stupidity, just your tough shit: you pay for it, bitch.  I wear a seatbelt b/c I think it's common sense, not b/c mommy government wipes my nose & tells me to.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't really care for the man either, he gets a little out of control.

They sold it as a if we stop you, AND THEN if you or someone in the vehicle isn't wearing one, THEN we write a ticket... TO...

We'll put up cameras and officers standing at intersections writing tickets as many as we can.

Meanwhile, on the interstate it's do what you want, we ain't enforcing anything today type deal...

The whole thing in typical fashion was sold dishonestly. That's bad by the way, good intentions aside.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Just because it may be a good idea, doesn't mean we need a law to make it mandatory.

And screw the cop that nearly ran me off of the road while checking to see if I had

my seatbelt on just to give me a $25 ticket.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just because it may be a good idea, doesn't mean we need a law to make it mandatory.
View Quote

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I have mine covered in spikes and wrap it around my neck.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Seat belt laws, helmet laws, large soda and sugary snack laws, etc., etc.  Should you? Yes. Should there be a law? No. It's just nanny state bullshit.
View Quote

Maybe the acid test for initiating a new law should be the question, "Are we willing to kill someone to enforce this law?"

You should wear a seat belt, and if you don't I'm willing to kill you to make you wear a seat belt.

You shouldn't drink sugary snacks, and if you do I'm willing to kill you to make you stop eating sugary snacks.

You shouldn't do intoxicants, and if you do I'm willing to kill you to make you stop getting intoxicated.

You should wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, and I'm willing to kill you to make you wear a helmet.

Let's try some other behaviors....

You shouldn't rape people, and I'm willing to kill you to stop you from raping people.

You shouldn't steal other people's stuff, and I'm willing to kill you to stop you from stealing other people's stuff

You shouldn't murder people, and I'm willing to kill you to stop you from killing other people.

...See how that works.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's just it.  

We have to get away from this idea that we're going pass laws for everything.   Every law is potentially a gun pointed at you.  That's all laws are.  We create laws when we as a society believe it's worth pointing guns at people to make them behave a certain way.

Some behaviors are worth pointing guns at people.  Seatbelt laws, large soda laws, helmet laws, "private" intoxication laws, and all the other progressive laws we have like them, aren't.  If you use the dumbass excuse that we're all paying for each other's medical care, then the problem is we're paying for each other's medical care, we need to stop that.  Collectivist and "progressive ideologies can be used to kill all individual liberty. "...hey it takes a village."  

Oh, and before you say "it's not a gun pointed at you...it's just a ticket".  ALL laws can culminate in violence.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just it.  

We have to get away from this idea that we're going pass laws for everything.   Every law is potentially a gun pointed at you.  That's all laws are.  We create laws when we as a society believe it's worth pointing guns at people to make them behave a certain way.

Some behaviors are worth pointing guns at people.  Seatbelt laws, large soda laws, helmet laws, "private" intoxication laws, and all the other progressive laws we have like them, aren't.  If you use the dumbass excuse that we're all paying for each other's medical care, then the problem is we're paying for each other's medical care, we need to stop that.  Collectivist and "progressive ideologies can be used to kill all individual liberty. "...hey it takes a village."  

Oh, and before you say "it's not a gun pointed at you...it's just a ticket".  ALL laws can culminate in violence.  

Holy crap that is brilliant.  Cuts right to the core of it.  I keep trying to get libtards to see that, usually on tax issues: if I don't cough up the tax money, they will send men with guns to forcibly take it from me, so how is this one bit different than theft?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Seat belt laws were the start of the nanny state.  Mandating personal choice is the downfall of freedom.

Seatbelts
Cigarettes
Helmets
Food choice
Before too long it will be guns, storage of guns, etc

Slippery slope

Shame that many here love the nanny state
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Maybe the acid test for initiating a new law should be the question, "Are we willing to kill someone to enforce this law?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this, too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top