Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 12:49:34 AM EDT
If you have any dead NiCd batteries lying around you might give this a shot.

Some years ago my in-laws gave me a big Roybi cordless tool set, it included a drill, a few different types of saws, palm sander, flashlight, three NiCd batteries, and charger, all in a largish rolling plastic box.  I had a full set of Dewalt cordless tools, ...but the thought was nice.  This box has sat in my garage for years, unused.  Friday I was board so I dragged it out to take a look at it, maybe sell, or donate it.  As expected none of the 18 volt batteries would charge.  So I decided to try the "jump start" method to revive the batteries, ...and it worked.

I used a battery charger set at 12v/50 amps, and a couple of nails in the clamps to make the process more precise.  I touched the negative to the negative poll on the battery, and touched the positive to the positive poll 9 or 10 times in quick succession.  (yes, I was wearing heavy leather work gloves, and eye protection...which I recommend).   Two of the batteries revived on the first try, the third took several attempts to make it charge.  All are holding their charge, and two are holding a slightly higher charge then they were originally rated.  

Just thought I'd pass along a net little trick that might help someone out.   Now back to your regularly scheduled GD programing.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I was told you needed higher voltage than the batteries for this to work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was told you needed higher voltage than the batteries for this to work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

All I can say is it worked for me.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#3]
*Channel Up*

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
You sir, rock!  I found a vid showing a guy plugging and unplugging the charger a bunch of times.  Lo and behold, one of my old Ryobi 18 volts is taking a charge right now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You sir, rock!  I found a vid showing a guy plugging and unplugging the charger a bunch of times.  Lo and behold, one of my old Ryobi 18 volts is taking a charge right now.
View Quote

I saw that one to.  I tried it, but it didn't work with my charger so I opted for what seemed to be the more dangerous method.  Boredom can generate some amazing results sometimes
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet. Maybe this'll unfuck one of my Craftsman batteries.  Certainly can't hurt.  Unless it burns my garage down.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Some years ago my in-laws gave me a big Roybi cordless tool set, it included a drill, a few different types of saws, palm sander, flashlight, three NiCd batteries, and charger, all in a largish rolling plastic box.  I had a full set of Dewalt cordless tools, ...but the thought was nice.  This box has sat in my garage for years, unused.  Friday I was board so I dragged it out to take a look at it, maybe sell, or donate it.  As expected none of the 18 volt batteries would charge.  So I decided to try the "jump start" method to revive the batteries, ...and it worked.

I used a battery charger set at 12v/50 amps, and a couple of nails in the clamps to make the process more precise.  I touched the negative to the negative poll on the battery, and touched the positive to the positive poll 9 or 10 times in quick succession.  (yes, I was wearing heavy leather work gloves, and eye protection...which I recommend).   Two of the batteries revived on the first try, the third took several attempts to make it charge.  All are holding their charge, and two are holding a slightly higher charge then they were originally rated.  

Just thought I'd pass along a net little trick that might help someone out.   Now back to your regularly scheduled GD programing.  

View Quote

I use a Desulfating charger made by Mikey Sklaar @ screwdecaf. It uses 110V power and pulses a capacitor bank at the 110V switching frequency and ramps up voltage until .5A charge rate is established. Basically, it's intended to blast sulfur in lead acid batteries back into solution but it works on most battery chemistry types. I was able to reclaim a motorcycle battery that had a load on it for 2 years and a nicad pack that hadn't been charged in a decade. So far so good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag

Waiting for video
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use a Desulfating charger made by Mikey Sklaar @ screwdecaf. It uses 110V power and pulses a capacitor bank at the 110V switching frequency and ramps up voltage until .5A charge rate is established. Basically, it's intended to blast sulfur in lead acid batteries back into solution but it works on most battery chemistry types. I was able to reclaim a motorcycle battery that had a load on it for 2 years and a nicad pack that hadn't been charged in a decade. So far so good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am so building one of those...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top