Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2014 1:08:04 PM EDT
I played this series back in the day and it is not only fun, but it can be intense.

Not really about thieving, more like robin hood type gameplay.

Last time I tried to get it to werx on my comp it told me I needed flash 7? Direct X 9. Not sure if that was it but I tried to find the doohickey it wanted and couldn't.

Is there some kind of emulator I can download to get it to run?

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you running it through Steam?

If so, look up how to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode.  It may help.

Google is your friend on this one.

Good choice in games.. Thief was amazing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
DOSBox
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you running it through Steam?

If so, look up how to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode.  It may help.

Google is your friend on this one.

Good choice in games.. Thief was amazing.
View Quote

I found this page, but......Umm, might as well be in Greek.

Red, I also played Thievery back in the day and it was awesome, but the community was a bit....Cliqueish?

You wouldn't believe how many times playing thief that I almost fell backwards in my chair fighting guards with swords and getting slaughtered.

The first board in Thief gold where you had to shoot a rope arrow into the ceiling and lower yourself down the shaft was mucho fun. I got into a Bow fight with a guard where were sniping each other from a distance in the gaming hall and it was the most fun I ever had playing a FPS sneak game.

That battle went on for at least 5min until I ran out of arrows and lit his ass up with a fire arrow. He ran around yelling and I got slaughtered when every guard in the level showed up.

I tried to recreate that situation many times, but always with a different outcome.

Sniping guards from long distance with the bow was an art and always entertaining.

BTW, wha is DOSBOX?

Neremind, I googooed it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Dosbox is a dos emulator.  You could run the original game on your windows, linux, or mac system with dosbox.

Still have the original disks?  If not, you could probably get it from good old games (GoG) for less than 5 bucks.  Probably already setup to run on dosbox with a minimum of fuss.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Save your self a lot of trouble and just get it on steam.
I have several hundred older games that i some time like to play and to save my self the headaches i just hunt it down on GOG or steam.

The dos emulators are a bitch to get working with the sound cards and video cards we now have, at least they are for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top