Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2014 12:28:30 AM EDT
You would love it.

I miss it a lot.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#1]
My dad was of the right age for all that.  Heard plenty of stories, wish he had kept some of the cars.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
My parents were both avid street/strip drag racers in the 60s and 70s. How I survived I'll never know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad has TONS of stories of his street racing days in the 60's and 70's when he was a POOR Airman in the Air Force. He worked at this daily job (Mil) and left work and went to work at Mason's garage. He was a skinny red headed guy that pumped gas and changed oil to pay the bills. He had multiple hot rods back then but his pride and joy was a '67 Impala SS that he went down to Capotl Chevy and bought a crate LS5 454 and modded the shit out of it. That, a Muncie 4spd with a built 12 bolt and 4.11 posi.

He used to clock out of Mason's and look for action. He always told me of his race with a rich kid in a Porsche 911 back then that he destroyed. He got orders to a Radar site in Alaska and traded that hopped up 454 for a 400 small block so my mom could drive the the car to work while he was gone.

He got back in 1976 and made me

He also had a truck that I loved as a kid. A burnt orange 1966 Chevy Big window shortwide bed that he put a 396ci out of a wrecked vette into. I cried like a baby the day he sold it. I stood in the bed of that truck and begged him not to sell it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad has told me plenty of stories when he and his buddies did this in the mid to late 50'so. Pretty cool stories.
We did some in the mid 80's when I was in hs. Fun times for sure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Did a bit of that myself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]
My dad had a '68 Camaro SS that was heavily modified. He has some funny stories from back then. He told me a story of stealing the aluminum heads off his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend's corvette and the guy never knew. He was racing a guy and blew past a cop, the cop pulled him over, chewed him out and said he didn't know how fast my dad was going because his radar gun only went to 80. My dad got away with a lot of shit because my grandfather was best friend's with the local sheriff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#8]
so-cal was ....
9 second cars on the street
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't make the sixties but did make the 70's.

Started with a '68 Nova that we swapped a 400 SB into, then a '71 Vega with another 400 SB from an Impala that was my best friends sisters car...we replaced it with the 283 we were going to put in the Vega, another Vega but a panel wagon model...it got a 402 BB and a partial El Camino front suspension to support it. And a VW bug with a JC Whitney bellhousing and a Corvair Monza engine...god that thing was unholy fast and god awful scary to drive.

Good memories.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I would have LOVED to grow up back then!!! Graduated high school in '84 so it was pretty much dying out by my time but did get to do a little street racing and got into racing at the track as well.

If I could go back I would have to get this car back..........

Located it again just last year but the fucker wouldn't sell it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Compared to now, the 60s and 70s were like the Wild West days, and now is like Orwell's 1984.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#12]
My old man use to run the streets around here in a 1970 challenger r/t se 440 six pack rock crusher trans. He bought the car new in 70 2 days after coming home from his 2nd tour of duty in nam. Still has the car to this day.

eta: He put a set of thrush side pipes on it and always says ( I got the girls when they got in the car and it got them when they got out) as it would burn the piss out of them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dad has TONS of stories of his street racing days in the 60's and 70's when he was a POOR Airman in the Air Force. He worked at this daily job (Mil) and left work and went to work at Mason's garage. He was a skinny red headed guy that pumped gas and changed oil to pay the bills. He had multiple hot rods back then but his pride and joy was a '67 Impala SS that he went down to Capotl Chevy and bought a crate LS5 454 and modded the shit out of it. That, a Muncie 4spd with a built 12 bolt and 4.11 posi.

He used to clock out of Mason's and look for action. He always told me of his race with a rich kid in a Porsche 911 back then that he destroyed. He got orders to a Radar site in Alaska and traded that hopped up 454 for a 400 small block so my mom could drive the the car to work while he was gone.

He got back in 1976 and made me

He also had a truck that I loved as a kid. A burnt orange 1966 Chevy Big window shortwide bed that he put a 396ci out of a wrecked vette into. I cried like a baby the day he sold it. I stood in the bed of that truck and begged him not to sell it.
View Quote

The 396 was used only in the Corvette only in 1965, would be a very rare engine today.  I had a chance to get into a '65 'vette roadster w/396 for $2K back in the early 70's.  Just another used car back then, like the SS 396 '68 Camaro I bought in '72 for $1200.  Who knew?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I did more then my share of that back in the late 70s-80s...yep good times...theres some stories told once in a while..
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
In Albuquerque, we had South Eubank, staging by the old Speedway Park (dirt track).
I hung out there '66 to '67 running a shit-box flathead 6 Plymouth.

The dirt parking lot was a great place to "flat track"!

Cops usually showed up around 1 am to run everybody off, confiscating any beer, which would get an ass-chewing, but never saw any arrests.
Worst I ever got was a threat to call my dad if I was caught out anywhere else that night.

Stop lights along Central Avenue probably had enough rubber left at 'em in the sixties to re-tread every mrap in inventory.

And we really did have a "DeadMan's" curve on old 66 in Tijeras canyon.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My old man use to run the streets around here in a 1970 challenger r/t se 440 six pack rock crusher trans. He bought the car new in 70 2 days after coming home from his 2nd tour of duty in nam. Still has the car to this day.

eta: He put a set of thrush side pipes on it and always says ( I got the girls when they got in the car and it got them when they got out) as it would burn the piss out of them.
View Quote

IIRC; "rock crusher" was the nickname for the Muncie M22 option on some GM performance cars.  Had different helix on the gears for strength, so was noisy, i.e. "rock crusher".  Chrysler may have had a similar unit.

I had Hooker header side pipes on my '68 SS396 Camaro.  Had to be very careful exiting the car to avoid burns.  Damn muffler inserts rattled.  Car did not have power steering and they didn't put disc brakes on until '69.  Brake fade was a bitch!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Typical street racer about 1971, 396 375hp, Erson mechanical cam, painted aluminum heads, edelbrock TM1 850 holley, turbo 400 and 4:10 gears. later motors included a 481 inch roller cam motor with welded D port heads.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I do miss those days. But a blast from the past, my 21 yr son has been working and saving for a car. Just last month we went to look at a 1967 GTO. The car was last registered in 1994. The title says 41000. The engine is a 400 service engine from 1968. Pretty sure the original owner smoked the first one. Casting on the heads 670. The car has been in a storage container since around that same time. The car is a project and his older brother, who is a mechanic is more excited than he is. He started sending over air tools and a mig welder. planning to do a full frame off resto on this. I have seen my older boy more in the last month than the last 5yrs. My street racer was a 1965 Malibu SS, That car was fast. Next was my 1967 Toronado. If i new then what i know now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Arfcommers would just bitch and moan about fat ugly cars that can't turn and make poor fuel mileage and would hate it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Wish my dad still had his 442... The stories and picture are awesome. But I came along and he needed a family car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Arfcommers would just bitch and moan about fat ugly cars that can't turn and make poor fuel mileage and would hate it.
View Quote
No they would bitch about manual windows, manual transmission, no cup holders, no electric seats with butt warmers, etc.

We have become incredibly soft in this country.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, '70 Challenger would have had an A833 New Process Gear 4-speed gearbox. 440+6 would have also meant a Dana 60 third member.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#24]
In Houston, Holly Hall was where to be.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I was doing it in the late 70's early 80's . I was 18 and at a street race in Orlando where 6 people were killed and 2 injured hit by cars that were just passing through the area and did not see the crowd .  There was a thread on here maybe on the old board with a post by Grumpy Jenkins . he was anti street racing due to losing a good friend at one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Heard plenty of stories from my Dad growing up. It's what got me into old cars.

This is his Dart Swinger in 1969 The stories from it are why I'm building a clone.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No they would bitch about manual windows, manual transmission, no cup holders, no electric seats with butt warmers, etc.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My jeep does have cup holders...and A/C. No power anything, manual, poor gas mileage, dirty...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#28]
You don't have to go back that far. The Berlin Turnpike in CT was drag race heaven into the late 80's when those new fangled Grand Nationals started swapping turbo chargers.  Every parking lot on the stretch filled with high horsepower, cars being rolled off trailers, etc. It was a sight to behold.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You don't have to go back that far. The Berlin Turnpike in CT was drag race heaven into the late 80's when those new fangled Grand Nationals started swapping turbo chargers.  Every parking lot on the stretch filled with high horsepower, cars being rolled off trailers, etc. It was a sight to behold.
View Quote

Oh yeah, I have very fond (and expensive) memories of that era, the beginning of Outlaw racing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Things like this make me wish I was born before 1988. I feel like I grew up in the wrong time. If you tried to do this shit now, they would lock you up and throw away the key.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#31]
My grandfather was big into powerful cars in the 50's and 60's. Probably the baddest he had was a '68 Plymouth GTX he custom ordered after he got back from his tour off the coast of Vietnam and retired. It was black, white interior, red carpet, white vinyl top, 440 w/ 6 pack, 4spd manual with factory pistol grip shifter. Wild car.

With that said, my LS1 F-Body would have flat out destroyed about every single car back then on the strip.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Word is that Brooklyn had some of the best street racing in the country back in the day...

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

My dad was of the right age for all that.  Heard plenty of stories, wish he had kept some of the cars.
View Quote

Grandfather was an LEO in the Detroit 'burbs in the 60's working Woodward Ave.

I've heard plenty too.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I street raced for a bit in the late 90's. Stopped doing it after laws against it were made to be worse then drunk driving. We still don't have a drag strip or road course on LI, despite many people trying to open one.

My dad had a '66 Plymouth Sport Satellite with a supercharged 383.

I had a '72 small block Chevelle for a while, then an SR20DET 240SX, now my Corvette.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Late 70s early 80s for me. A couple of 72 novas. 68 Camaro. 69 el camino I and a 74 lemans

Man I wish I still had those cars.  They would be worth a truck load

Lots of good street racing In So Cal. Back then
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd go in a heart beat if I could take my Nova, and a few spare slicks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I did alot of street racing in the 60's in Seattle. The cop's let us race on Harbor island on Fri/Sat nites so that we would not race on Alki Beach.
 We raced everyday after high school; fast car's were everywhere in the middle 60's.
 I drove a fuel- injected, 292", 56 chev post to school[4:11/4:56 gears]. I could not afford to keep up with the rich kid's so I bought a 1964 650 BSA and when that was not fast enough I bought   a brand new 1966 Norton 750 Super Sport from England. It cost's $1408 and I never lost a street race after that.
I can tell many stories about street racing but I do not have time now but will later.My father also street raced every one he could, even with my MOM and little brother in the car.
Some of these stories are so wild that the younger guy's will not believe them.
 Tease;
   I have ran thru two police road blocks on bikes; just like in the movies, gun,s drawn on the hood of police cruiser.s. police Harley,s and car,s in pursuit.
    I made it thru one with with out getting caught but the second one did not work out well for me.
     I will describe both in later post,s.
  Streer racing in the old day,s was fun. I sold my last street racer 2 years ago. A 520 HP 2006 Subaru[very fast]I beat up alot of local kids with it.
   But I am 66 years old so time to hang it up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#38]

SEYMOUR BALZ????

LOL, Which Arfcommer's Dad is this???
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#39]
My dad didnt drive back then but he did run with some guys with fast cars.  63 Impala with a 409 and 2 4s, 55 chevys, 68 Chevelles, I m sure it was good times.

Ex-wife's dad always talked about his 57 chevy that he built.  He said he loaned it to a buddy one night and he out run every cop car in 2 counties.  One of the cops knew the car and they harassed him from that day forward.  (thought it was my ex FIL that caused all the trouble) He said he finally sold it bc they wouldnt leave him alone and he wouldnt rat out his friend.  He never admitted it but I think he was actually pretty proud of the what his friend did in that car.

I love that cars are coming back with big HP #s but the reality is, you really cant enjoy it like you could back in the 60s.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I miss this one. Hoffman Road whore that I sold

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#41]
LOL, back in the day, 10 second street car was near mythical.
Jack Roush, yes THAT Jack Roush had a turbo'd Mustang II.
Steve Lisk had a Hemi-Challenger with a Lenco that was in the 10's and these cars were EXTREME in the day,

Most "10 second" cars were mid 11s - low 12s., LOL.

These days, I see cars with AC, power everything, come right in off the street and rip off 10s.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, I have very fond (and expensive) memories of that era, the beginning of Outlaw racing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The early 90s weren't bad either IMO
The old race spot here is still covered in black marks , so I am guessing things are not exactly dead

I just haven't went there at 2 am in about 15 years , as I have heard enforcement is pretty heavy

However Nebraska isn't too draconian as racing is still a $100 1 point ticket like it was 20+ years ago

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#43]
It's crazy now cause if you mention street racing people consider you a menace to society.

Back then it was something most of the boys did.

Some of the stories you guys have would get you frowned upon in today's world.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#44]
My dad posted this on Facebook the other day along with a stack of tickets and the original title and loan paperwork for the car. He paid $375 for it.

Short story ,strange but true.
It was a dark and stormy night.
No, it really was.
Actually misting rain and cold..
We were setting at a stop light on the main drag in Larned in my 58 Pontiac, minding our own business..
This 55 Mercury pulls up beside me and I know he was looking for trouble.
We both go on green and of course I clubbed him for a couple of blocks and we went on our way.
About 30 minutes later me n Wanda were driving along on the other end of town and the flashing red lights come on.
I pull over and it’s officer Jim Berry.
I know him very well as he is the one that issued most of my moving violation citations.
He comes up to the window and hands me a ticket and says, ”Butch, you remember that 55 Merc down on Broadway a little while ago?”
I say,”uuuhhh I don’t know”.
He says,” well , I was setting about 10 feet off your rear bumper and I could tell what you were up to”.
He goes,” I’m thinking, he ain’t stupid enough to,,,,,,,,,,,and about then all hell broke loose.”
He said, ”you plastered the front of my car with mud and sand so bad, I had to get out and clean the windshield before I could hunt your ass down”.
The back window was so fogged up I couldn’t see behind me so I ASSUMED I was ok.
That was another $5.00 down the drain.
View Quote

And another

Our first "fast" car.
$375.00 58 Pontiac Chieftian
Fastest car in town at the time.
Seems I had to prove that about once a week and Wanda started keeping the tickets.
We actually started planning on $5.00 careless driving ticket a week.

Stock engine with a single 2 bbl and Hydra-Matic transmission.
I was beaten once by a 1964 1/2 Hi/Pro Mustang.
I was late off the line and he beat me by 1/2 car length.
He would never run me again.
Do ya think I keep my important papers to long?
Had to have a co-signer for $375.00 loan,no credit yet. lol

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#45]
In the late 80's and early 90s we used to get it on at Rankin Road, Spikewood, Airport, Battleground Road, etc in the Houston area. I ran a small block 'glide '66 Chevelle, a '85 5.0 5-speed Capri, a '76 351W 4-speed Mustang II and a backhalved TorqueFlite 440 inch '71 Demon in my days on the street before I got into dirt track racing.

I agree OP, I miss that stuff a LOT. The cops have effectively killed it off around here (that I know of).
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#46]
San Diego in the 80's for me.  Running a stripped down '66 Chevy II with a .060 over 350, 4.88 gears and a 250 shot of NO2 before it was popular on the street.  With moderate traction issues I still ran low 10's at 128+ mph when I took it to Pomona.  Sold it when I got married.  One of the dumbest things I ever did.  Still have the girl though .
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
San Diego in the 80's for me.  Running a stripped down '66 Chevy II with a .060 over 350, 4.88 gears and a 250 shot of NO2 before it was popular on the street.  With moderate traction issues I still ran low 10's at 128+ mph when I took it to Pomona.  Sold it when I got married.  One of the dumbest things I ever did.  Still have the girl though .
View Quote

we used to T&T
some FED's behind the stadium  in 196768

Randy Walls / Willie Rells
the list goes on
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

AND THAT EXHAUST SMELL!!!!  ugggghh!! turrible.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

SEYMOUR BALZ????

View All Quotes
Quoted:

SEYMOUR BALZ????

Ha, my thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#50]
The early-mid 2000s were bitching as well.

Nothing to see here, just a stock mustang

Then you pop the hood

Put slicks on it and take it to the strip and it yanks the front tires up

After a while only motorcycles wanted to race me on the street anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top