Site Notices
Page / 81
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you degrease it before applying the loctite?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got the TTI fiber optic sights installed on my G34. They look nice.

I used the brownells front sight tool and blue locktite. The day after I installed them I put 100 rounds through it to check poa/poi.

When I got home I noticed the front sight was loose.  So I backed out the screw and re-locktited it.

It's going to suck if I lose the front sight during the match. Kind of worried.

*sigh*  I did not.

How nessecary is it to degrease a new stainless screw?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thinking about shooting in my first comp in Sept....

Really wish we had REDACTED in the area.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
*sigh*  I did not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the brownells front sight tool and blue locktite. The day after I installed them I put 100 rounds through it to check poa/poi.
When I got home I noticed the front sight was loose.  So I backed out the screw and re-locktited it.

*sigh*  I did not.

Critical. Start over.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Keep at it.

You'll be leaps and bounds above most shooters if you keep going with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I finally managed to set aside enough time (I just moved) to start Stoeger's dry-fire training and made a monthly calendar for it.

These part times are ROUGH!!!

I've already seen some tenths shaved off my draw and reloads in 3 days of work though.

Keep at it.

You'll be leaps and bounds above most shooters if you keep going with it.
I'll be C class for my initial classification when they run classifiers.  I blew my first 2, CM 09-06 Quad Standards 2 @ 27.5% (lot of misses, rushed my draw.  It's a rough classifier for your fist one), CM 06-02 Big Barricade II @ 29.671% (threw my only mike and no-shoot of the match on that stage), CM 99-13 Quicky II @ 64.3112%, and CM 09-14 Eye Of The Tiger classifier calc says 69.9373% (I shot it 3rd overall ).

I typically finish around the B shooters, I just need to work on the quiet part of my shooting.  I've added more sprints to my workout regimen, and I ordered some speedcross 3's to replace my nike frees.  The tread on my frees is completely flat and I slide around too much.  I know the speedcross is the bandwagon shoe, but they give a substantial discount on promotive for .mil, so I'll try them out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
After many years of hard work, I've finally made the cut...

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Critical. Start over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*sigh*  I did not.

Critical. Start over.

Seriously?

ETA:  Ok even if for just piece of mind I pulled it apart and cleaned everything up well with rubbing alcohol.  Lots of blue locktite and I got the screw as tight as I could.

lesson learned.  This was my first DIY sight install.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://charon.ofhell.org/~drno/guns/Awwjeah.jpg
View Quote
Great job.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seriously?

ETA:  Ok even if for just piece of mind I pulled it apart and cleaned everything up well with rubbing alcohol.  Lots of blue locktite and I got the screw as tight as I could.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*  I did not.

Critical. Start over.

Seriously?

I think you already answered your own question when the screw came loose .  Loctite won't work if you don't first degrease thoroughly.  You don't need to drench it in loctite, putting more than needed doesn't help.  You should be GTG now that the threads are clean before applying the loctite.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats brother!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome.

Tell us how you did it; what your live and dry practice sessions look like, frequency, etc.

Any advice for the rest of us?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Didn't realize that this thread was here. During the last one my family was talking about how good Tiger was doing. I knew he wouldn't keep it up though. As we all saw. Though he is still playing well enough at times to keep betting interesting. People love dropping their money on him for some reason.

The Barclays is on today. I don't think I'll be able to catch (live at least) today, but tomorrow hopefully I'll get in the full day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Just caught this thread.  I've been thinking about getting into this soon.  I need a different pistol first though because all I have is a shield and a 1911.

Is a glock 17 a solid choice for this as something that could also be used outside competition?

Without reading through the hundreds of posts in this thread, can anyone direct me to any videos or reading material with some drills and stuff I could practice before I go so I'm not completely incompetent.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just caught this thread.  I've been thinking about getting into this soon.  I need a different pistol first though because all I have is a shield and a 1911.

Is a glock 17 a solid choice for this as something that could also be used outside competition?

Without reading through the hundreds of posts in this thread, can anyone direct me to any videos or reading material with some drills and stuff I could practice before I go so I'm not completely incompetent.
View Quote

Just shoot your 1911 in Single Stack.

A Glock 17 is a good choice for Production.  I'd prefer a 34, but especially for a new shooter a 17 will not be holding you back.

Ben Stoeger's books/videos, Bob Vogel's videos on youtube, and Brian Enos' book.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Golf courses are wasted land and should be shooting ranges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't realize that this thread was here. During the last one my family was talking about how good Tiger was doing. I knew he wouldn't keep it up though. As we all saw. Though he is still playing well enough at times to keep betting interesting. People love dropping their money on him for some reason.

The Barclays is on today. I don't think I'll be able to catch (live at least) today, but tomorrow hopefully I'll get in the full day.

I disagree sincerely. I just noticed that this isn't USPGA. Fuck me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A Glock 17 is a good choice for Production.  I'd prefer a 34, but especially for a new shooter a 17 will not be holding you back.

Ben Stoeger's books/videos, Bob Vogel's videos on youtube, and Brian Enos' book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It would/will be tough to start in SS.  You'd need 5/6 mags on the belt.  If you have the pouches and mags, go for it.

Jeanyus is right, G17 is good but G34 is more gooder.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It would/will be tough to start in SS.  You'd need 5/6 mags on the belt.  If you have the pouches and mags, go for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there that big of a difference? Anything gained beyond longer sight radius?

I was looking at the 17 because of their availability.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there anything a 17 does that a 34 doesn't? Other than cost less. I don't see any reason to ever get a 17 unless Im missing something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Check me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key."-Carl Spackler
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Is there anything a 17 does that a 34 doesn't? Other than cost less. I don't see any reason to ever get a 17 unless Im missing something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not for my purposes.  I CCW a 19 and compete with my 34.

17 is just awkward middle ground for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Longer barrel = higher velocities

A little extra peace of mind at the chrono station
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 17 has a 34 barrel. Need to make a decision this winter about 22 vs. 35. 35 just seems so long.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My 17 has a 34 barrel. Need to make a decision this winter about 22 vs. 35. 35 just seems so long.
View Quote

Get a 35.  Something about the feel/balance is just a lot better for me, especially with a heavy magwell on it.  The exception would be if you're getting a 22, threaded barrel, and a "sight tracker" block.  I can't remember who makes it, but I'm thinking about trying it on the G22 that's been my backup gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Generally that is true, but we've had guys come out to club matches with 2 cheap double mag pouches and a mag in their back pocket and shoot single stack.  They were just interested in trying the sport out, and a 1911 is all they have.  Shoot it, realize your gear sucks, and upgrade from there.  I always tell people they don't have to go out and buy a new gun to shoot USPSA as I think part of the reason it isn't more popular is people feel like they have to go out and buy something special just to show up and suck it up at the bottom of D class.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats!!

Here is my Match from Sunday:

USPSA Production A
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm trading an M&P I never shoot for a 1911 I'll probably never shoot either, but out of curiosity, what is the point of the holster rules in Single Stack? Am I going to be stuck with a regular belt/paddle holster, or are there any dropped/offset holsters that are legal?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lost....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm lost....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lost....

Friends don't let friends shoot the "other" game... that I am probably shooting next weekend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Except that would be a no-go in production.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Friends don't let friends shoot the "other" game... that I am probably shooting next weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lost....

I gotcha!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not to mention almost pointless other than the velocity gain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that would be a no-go in production.

Not to mention almost pointless other than the velocity gain.

Velocity gain was the point.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm trading an M&P I never shoot for a 1911 I'll probably never shoot either, but out of curiosity, what is the point of the holster rules in Single Stack? Am I going to be stuck with a regular belt/paddle holster, or are there any dropped/offset holsters that are legal?
View Quote

The entire front strap needs to be above the top of your belt so a DOH holster won't work.  There are some like the BOSS hanger that can be adjusted to be high enough for SS, but unless you have super long monkey arms a regular belt holster really isn't that big a deal
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Granted, I absolutely hate Glocks and the kool aid drinkers who have to pontificate about them at every opportunity, but a Glock 17 is a very good choice, especially if you already have it.

If you haven't bought anything yet, a Glock 34 or 35 would be a better choice.  If you reload, then a 35 would be the way to go (like I said, I am not a Glock guy: it might actually be possible to get a 35 barrel and out it into a 34 slide, and shoot .40 cal out of it, or vice versa)

And the reason you would want to do this is because it gives you the option of shooting 2 divisions primarily:

1.  Limited division with .40 cal loaded to major power factor and mags filled all the way up

Or

2.  Production division in .40 at minor power factor (assuming you reload) with the mags just holding 10 rounds.

Or if you have the 17 already, just load the mags all the way up, and shoot Limited division at minir power factor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Awesome.

Tell us how you did it; what your live and dry practice sessions look like, frequency, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome.

Thanks everyone! I'm very proud of my accomplishment. It has been a ten year goal.

Lots and lots of practice. I don't dry fire as much as I should - but I didn't break out of B class until I figured out what to do in dry fire.

I shoot a lot of live ammo:

2010 - 14,456
2011 - 17,190
2012 - 12,684
2013 - 19,892
2014 - 17,720
2015 - 11,976 (so far)

Yes, I own a Dillon 1050 for a reason...

But the real question is not how many rounds I shot, but how many *matches* I shot ...

2015 - 25
2014 - 22
2013 - 24
2012 - 20

Someone told me once, practice is practice but the match is the 'test'. Just like with any other sport, you gotta play it and get experience. I try to shoot 5-8 majors a year, which gives me motivation to practice and helps me really see where I'm at compared to the best. Shooting USPSA Nationals has been some of the most fun and challenging matches.

Overall my practice sessions are usually a mirror of what I dry fire. Lots of draws, lots of grip work, transitions, and a lot of entries/exits. Get your reload down to 1 second. Figure out trigger control. Learn to relax under pressure (that has been my biggest hurdle).

Overall it was just a lot of dedication and practice. Keep it fun. Find someone who's a hell of a lot better than you and train with them. I am lucky that I've been able to train with Ben Stoeger for two days at a time the last 3 years in a row and he is an incredible instructor on top of an incredible shooter. He is incredibly technical and breaks down what you need to practice. I'm going to go train with Rob Leatham later this year. I've been religiously following his books and it took me from A to GM in about a year. It could have been faster but I'm also a full time SWAT guy and have a young kiddo...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The entire front strap needs to be above the top of your belt so a DOH holster won't work.  There are some like the BOSS hanger that can be adjusted to be high enough for SS, but unless you have super long monkey arms a regular belt holster really isn't that big a deal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'll just get a regular Comp Tac paddle. I still don't see the point in that rule, but I guess the 87 single stack shooters in the country haven't complained enough to get it changed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish all of our SWAT guys and LEOs were GMs.

That's an impressive shooting schedule. There's no way I could afford that and it will probably be a while before I'm out of B class due to school and money, but that's why I'm in school....to make enough money to play with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I guess I'll just get a regular Comp Tac paddle. I still don't see the point in that rule, but I guess the 87 single stack shooters in the country haven't complained enough to get it changed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey!  I resemble that remark .  I love shooting SS; been shooting it a lot recently in preparation for the Western States Single Stack Championship in November.  Every so often I just get sick of shooting Glocks and need to mix it up and shoot SS for a while.

The Comp Tac International is a good holster.  That or a Blade Tech will serve you well.  I use a Blade Tech and added the thumb screws from Ben Stoeger's Pro Shop.  They especially come in handy on a 1911 holster where fit varies a lot more between different manufacturers than say a Glock holster where all Glocks fit in it the same.

I'm not sure the origin of the rule.  If I had to guess I'd say it's more of a tradition thing.  SS is all about keeping with the classic 1911 design, they want the guns to all look like normal 1911s, no full length dust covers, bull barrels, etc. and I guess also want traditional belt holsters used as well.  Of all the wacky rules we have I always think it's funny when people complain about this one when we've got plenty of others that also don't make sense...like say, half the rules for Production...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Looks like I get to shoot the area match in the rain today
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hey!  I resemble that remark .  I love shooting SS; been shooting it a lot recently in preparation for the Western States Single Stack Championship in November.  Every so often I just get sick of shooting Glocks and need to mix it up and shoot SS for a while.

The Comp Tac International is a good holster.  That or a Blade Tech will serve you well.  I use a Blade Tech and added the thumb screws from Ben Stoeger's Pro Shop.  They especially come in handy on a 1911 holster where fit varies a lot more between different manufacturers than say a Glock holster where all Glocks fit in it the same.

I'm not sure the origin of the rule.  If I had to guess I'd say it's more of a tradition thing.  SS is all about keeping with the classic 1911 design, they want the guns to all look like normal 1911s, no full length dust covers, bull barrels, etc. and I guess also want traditional belt holsters used as well.  Of all the wacky rules we have I always think it's funny when people complain about this one when we've got plenty of others that also don't make sense...like say, half the rules for Production...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The goofiest thing about Production is the fact that it's called Production.  The only differences in a Production gun and a Limited minor gun are a mag well and magazine capacity.

I use an International with the dropped/offset attachment in Limited.  I really want to try something else, but I can't decide between putting the International on a Boss hanger or just going full gamer and getting a race holster.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

We got a little rain last night.

We have most of our reloading stuff. Helping to set up a 3 gun event tomorrow. That will be the end of our season. School has started, hunting season is coming up fast.

We have everything we need to load 3000 rounds. It's a start.

ETA: On the way home last night.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Think I'm going to get a shadow to play around with. Found some cz custom shadow customs in stock so no wait time. Should be fun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Think I'm going to get a shadow to play around with. Found some cz custom shadow customs in stock so no wait time. Should be fun.
View Quote

My friend has one and I'm impressed. At first I wasn't a big CZ fan, but after handling and shooting his a bit, I'm really starting to like the brand as a whole. They just make solid handguns that feel really good in my hands too. It's easy to shoot also.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

You shoot on Fridays? What about work/school/etc. that goes on in the day?
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top