Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is there to be pissed about?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next months MD(we take turns) told us what he has planned.

1st week, Precision rifle match & 1 stage run & gun-USPSA.
2nd week Steel Challenge
3rd USPSA
4th week USPSA

This news pissed more than a few off.

Would this upset you?

That's what I was thinking. Some dont want the top two.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I would love to have USPSA 3 weeks per month, but I couldn't afford it anyways. Why would that piss you off?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2nd week Steel Challenge
3rd USPSA
4th week USPSA

Would this upset you?

I would love to have USPSA 3 weeks per month, but I couldn't afford it anyways. Why would that piss you off?

Sorry not me. I welcome a change.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Compared to what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2nd week Steel Challenge
3rd USPSA
4th week USPSA

Would this upset you?

Compared to what?

They want ONLY USPSA pistol. Heck at least he didn't say IDPA
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Where I live, there's USPSA every weekend within 3 hours.

Not to mention steel challenge, proam, 3gun, icore, etc...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2nd week Steel Challenge
3rd USPSA
4th week USPSA

Would this upset you?

I would never be pissed about having more than 1 USPSA match nearby in any given month.

Where I live, there's USPSA every weekend within 3 hours.

Not to mention steel challenge, proam, 3gun, icore, etc...

Man, I'm not driving 3 hours for a club match.  6 hours in the car, 5-6 hours out in the sun, and 2 minutes of shooting?  I don't have it that bad...yet.

I could shoot at least 3 weekends a month if I didn't mind driving more than an hour or so.  My local range does IDPA the 1st weekend, USPSA 2nd, 3 gun 3rd, and speed steel 4th.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would it look too gay to buy green mag pouches? Serious question. I like green.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/cexva.adrmj/v/vspfiles/photos/options/SG-MAG-568-T.jpg?1427351333
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I got it set up properly. I'm gonna try bullets out and see how it goes tomorrow, just to try something different. I know it looks retarded, but my hand couldn't easily reach my last mag with it facing out, so I decided to face it fowards instead. Probably won't ever need it anyways; I've always only used 4 mag pouches.

I definitely will have to get used to the spacing. My old pouches were really close to my body, and this sits out pretty far away from my body. I keep reaching behind the mags.

<a href="http://imgur.com/LDuVDCO" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/LDuVDCO.jpg</a>
<a href="http://imgur.com/qsO45mE" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/qsO45mE.jpg</a>
View Quote

I take the ghey comment back, it looks good

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I got it set up properly. I'm gonna try bullets out and see how it goes tomorrow, just to try something different. I know it looks retarded, but my hand couldn't easily reach my last mag with it facing out, so I decided to face it fowards instead. Probably won't ever need it anyways; I've always only used 4 mag pouches.

I definitely will have to get used to the spacing. My old pouches were really close to my body, and this sits out pretty far away from my body. I keep reaching behind the mags.

<a href="http://imgur.com/LDuVDCO" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/LDuVDCO.jpg</a>
<a href="http://imgur.com/qsO45mE" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/qsO45mE.jpg</a>

Too late.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2nd week Steel Challenge

3rd USPSA

4th week USPSA

Would this upset you?

Some people would complain about a BJ from Kate Upton.

Can't please everybody all the time; can't please some people any time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Too late.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those mag holders look good. I've been thinking of trying a bullets out set up for production and single stack. Who made those?

Too late.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Congrats AJE.  Finally someone to give Bryan Dover some competition!

View Quote

He got him on 3 out of 4 but AJ's still pissed he didn't get MM.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Looks like the competitor list is pretty deep for Production Nationals next week.

Who do you think is going to take it?  It looks like we have damn near all of the National Champions from last year shooting it.

A better question might be, with Nils, Vogel, and Coley shooting Glocks and Max in it with a P320, can a plastic fantastic take the title back from the guys shooting CZs and Tanfos?
View Quote

It's definitely a tough call with how deep the heavy hitter list is.  

JJ seems like he's shooting better than ever.  Not sure how Ben has been doing but he's pretty much BOSS all the time.  

Gutt seems like he's on the verge of winning something big also.

If I had to put money on it, I'd put it on Ben.

I've never seen Nils shoot Production, though.  It would be cool if someone won with a plastic gun just to shut up all the whining, deluded mouth breathers that insist plastic guns are at a disadvantage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I think he's been shooting a Taran Tactical Glock for a while now but I've never seen any match footage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Looks like the competitor list is pretty deep for Production Nationals next week.

Who do you think is going to take it?  It looks like we have damn near all of the National Champions from last year shooting it.

View Quote

Ben
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#23]
It'll definitely be an interesting match.  If I had to bet I'd put my money on Ben.  What's the deal with the winner must be American?  Eric's going to be there, right?  But he just gets to shoot for fun?  I never understood that, just a smack in the face to IPSC?

What's JJ shooting now?  He used to shoot a Caracal in Production I think

Quoted:
I think he's been shooting a Taran Tactical Glock for a while now but I've never seen any match footage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was shocked the first time I saw him with a Glock in his holster until I realized Prod Nationals was coming up.  He said he just got it a few weeks ago.

Quoted:
The only thing I haven't seen him do well on is bumpfiring  

https://youtu.be/v7hpu87v5ZI

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]
JJ is shooting a Stock II.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]
If I shot a match in Las Vegas NV at Desert Sportsman two Sundays ago, how do I see my scores?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a dumb question about USPSA matches: Is shooting matches, per se, effective practice?  Do the matches, at least, help keep your skills sharp?

I have shot various matches over the years, including some that were sort of similar to USPSA, but never an official USPSA match.  This year, I have shot a grand total of zero matches, and only two the year prior.  Due to restrictions at my dept. range, I have actually shot maybe a handful of times over the last two years.  There are a few USPSA-affiliated clubs in my quadrant of Ohio, but the are at least a 70-minute drive.  Regardless, I am tired of sitting on my ass, and waiting until "next time".

Assuming I have limited opportunity to get live-fire practice, and I shot a couple of matches a month, could I progress, or would I be wasting time, and ammo?  I know that is Similarly, how much does dry-fire translate to USPSA matches?  I managed to break the 50-second mark in GSSF based largely on dry-fire, but the matches are pretty much the same every time.  I realize that each person's situation is unique, but I am curious to hear what others think.

Also, if I were to shoot, it would either be my G17, or 34.  I usually just shoot my practice ammo from work, which is 124gr. American Eagle, which is supposed to be 1150fps.  There is no stippling, but they have small strips of deck tape under the trigger guards, which I guess I would have to remove to shoot production.  Anyhow, give those parameters, I am guessing my best bet would be to shoot the 34, sans magwell, in production.  Someone also suggested trying limited minor.  What do you guys recommend?  My only other match-ready semi is a 21SF.

Sorry about the redundant questions.  I just always worry about looking like a complete retard when I show up at a match.  I understand that it is inevitable, and I need to watch experienced shooters at the match, but I figure a little more preliminary information can't hurt.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have a dumb question about USPSA matches: Is shooting matches, per se, effective practice?

IMO, no

Do the matches, at least, help keep your skills sharp?

Yes

View Quote
I don't think Matches would be effective practice, because you shoot each stage once, after waiting for your turn.  Even cops, military, and experienced shooters can and do benefit from a professional pistol 1 class.  Effective practice is working on fundamentals, trigger control, sight picture, draw, grip, reloads, etc..  Or doing bill drills, dot torture, even dry fire.

A monthly match, or weekly league would help maintain your skills, but I don't think they will help improve skills much.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't think Matches would be effective practice, because you shoot each stage once, after waiting for your turn.  Even cops, military, and experienced shooters can and do benefit from a professional pistol 1 class.  Effective practice is working on fundamentals, trigger control, sight picture, draw, grip, reloads, etc..  Or doing bill drills, dot torture, even dry fire.

A monthly match, or weekly league would help maintain your skills, but I don't think they will help improve skills much.

View Quote

I stopped practicing a couple of years ago, back when I was still a C.

Classifier-wise, I am currently a solid A in Limited, a solid B in Open, and a high B in Production (and technically a B in Single-Stack - no good numbers to go from there, as I've only shot one classifier in SS in the last five years). I can generally finish in the top few spots of my class at a state-level match. I finished fourth overall SS in Ohio, behind another B, one A, and one M. (And that was with a death jam on one stage.)

These days, I don't even have a regular place to go shoot. Now, while I only do matches, I do shoot pretty much every week - whether that's USPSA, IDPA-esque, or just bowling pins, so it's not like I only shoot once a month or something. But that's all I do. I don't even really dry-fire at all.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I have a dumb question about USPSA matches: Is shooting matches, per se, effective practice?  Do the matches, at least, help keep your skills sharp?

View Quote

The short answer is USPSA will make you a better shooter.  Period.

If you're sub-50 in GSSF you have the requisite skill to come out and shoot USPSA just fine.

The fact that you dry-fire already puts you ahead of the majority of competitors.

I suggest you treat it like what it is:  a game.  A game that just happens to make you a better shooter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If I shot a match in Las Vegas NV at Desert Sportsman two Sundays ago, how do I see my scores?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When you log onto USPSA's site and go to your personal profile at the bottom should be your match results from matches for the past 60 days.  You can also try to locate the match on Practiscore, I didn't see this match by searcing for "desert sportsman" or "las vegas" so maybe it's under a different name.

Quoted:

I have shot various matches over the years, including some that were sort of similar to USPSA, but never an official USPSA match.  This year, I have shot a grand total of zero matches, and only two the year prior.  Due to restrictions at my dept. range, I have actually shot maybe a handful of times over the last two years.  There are a few USPSA-affiliated clubs in my quadrant of Ohio, but the are at least a 70-minute drive.  Regardless, I am tired of sitting on my ass, and waiting until "next time".

Assuming I have limited opportunity to get live-fire practice, and I shot a couple of matches a month, could I progress, or would I be wasting time, and ammo?  I know that is Similarly, how much does dry-fire translate to USPSA matches?  I managed to break the 50-second mark in GSSF based largely on dry-fire, but the matches are pretty much the same every time.  I realize that each person's situation is unique, but I am curious to hear what others think.

Also, if I were to shoot, it would either be my G17, or 34.  I usually just shoot my practice ammo from work, which is 124gr. American Eagle, which is supposed to be 1150fps.  There is no stippling, but they have small strips of deck tape under the trigger guards, which I guess I would have to remove to shoot production.  Anyhow, give those parameters, I am guessing my best bet would be to shoot the 34, sans magwell, in production.  Someone also suggested trying limited minor.  What do you guys recommend?  My only other match-ready semi is a 21SF.

Sorry about the redundant questions.  I just always worry about looking like a complete retard when I show up at a match.  I understand that it is inevitable, and I need to watch experienced shooters at the match, but I figure a little more preliminary information can't hurt.

I would say shooting matches definitely improves your skills.  I pretty much never practice, rarely even touch my competition guns between matches, but do shoot a match almost every weekend.  I shot for quite a few years before I started USPSA and my skills started improving dramatically once I started competing, granted I'm still not very good .  I'd be a lot better if I did practice and dry fire, but shooting matches definitely makes you a better shooter.

As dumb as it may be, yes that little strip of grip tape would bump you out of Production.  No one will probably care at a local match, especially if it's your duty gun.  Not saying it's right to break the rules though...

If you're just doing the matches to improve your skill and don't care about winning then choosing Production vs. Limited minor is just whichever division you prefer.  Stage planning is very different between the two due to planning your reloads.  Try both and see which you prefer.

With those GSSF scores you're definitely not going to embarrass yourself at a match.  Just be safe and don't get DQed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Look at this shit...  14 stage match and he only dropped 16 charlies over the whole thing.

Area 3 domination

View Quote

I watched him shoot a couple stages. He is like ultra megatron boss robot good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#35]
He isn't human
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't think Matches would be effective practice

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a dumb question about USPSA matches: Is shooting matches, per se, effective practice?
IMO, no

Yes

Quoted:
Effective practice is working on fundamentals, trigger control, sight picture, draw, grip, reloads, etc..

All of this occurs in matches, and shooting matches WILL increase your skills in regards to these fundamentals. I saw it happen myself in my first couple months.

So yes, shooting matches is very effective "practice" if you define that as becoming more proficient in your gun handling abilities. Doing stuff at home is great, but not much can replicate the stress that shooting against a timer for a real score in front of other shooters puts on you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
All of this occurs in matches, and shooting matches WILL increase your skills in regards to these fundamentals. I saw it happen myself in my first couple months.

So yes, shooting matches is very effective "practice" if you define that as becoming more proficient in your gun handling abilities. Doing stuff at home is great, but not much can replicate the stress that shooting against a timer for a real score in front of other shooters puts on you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO, no

Yes

Quoted:

Effective practice is working on fundamentals, trigger control, sight picture, draw, grip, reloads, etc..

I agree that shooting will make you better, but the way he worded the question I answered as no.

If he went to the range about every weekend with a few matches thrown in that would be better.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
So, it looks like Carry Optics might as well be called "Plastic Guns With Dots".

We were looking at the provisional rules over dinner after a local mini-match; weight limit is 35 oz. That immediately kills any full-size guns like a CZ or Tanfo, and even makes it hard to play with the compact variants. My current Production gun weighs 37.6 oz, unloaded with an empty mag. (My previous Production gun weighs even more.) So that's completely out of the realm of possibility.

Now, I currently have four honest-to-goodness carry guns in rotation; two pocket guns, and two that get worn IWB. The two IWB pistols weigh in at 33.8 oz and 36.9 oz. So only one has a chance of being legal, and even it would be cutting it pretty close if it can.

The plastic guns of course won't have any trouble at all with the weight. But those of us who choose to shoot - and indeed, actually carry - steel pistols are pretty much SOL.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Webman, where are you?  I'm assuming northern part of the state?
View Quote

Cleveland area.  The only place I can really practice anything other than slow fire at a static target is at my dept. range, but they usually only let us shoot once or twice per month.  To make matters worse, I usually work those days.  There are some clubs by Akron, and one east of me east of Chardon, I think.  I am thinking that, if I'm lucky, I could probably work it out to shoot some sort of match once or twice per month.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cleveland area.  The only place I can really practice anything other than slow fire at a static target is at my dept. range, but they usually only let us shoot once or twice per month.  To make matters worse, I usually work those days.  There are some clubs by Akron, and one east of me east of Chardon, I think.  I am thinking that, if I'm lucky, I could probably work it out to shoot some sort of match once or twice per month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Webman, where are you?  I'm assuming northern part of the state?

How far/long are you willing to drive?

ETA: I'll just go ahead and list them... these are all matches the local guys get out to with varying regularity, they include northeast Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and central Ohio.

PCSI : Circleville, OH : 1st Saturday
Gem City : Erie, PA : 1st Sunday
Pardoe Sportsmen : Pardoe, PA : 1st Sunday
NEO Shooters : Deerfield, OH : 2nd Saturday
Briar Rabbit : Zanesville, OH : 2nd Sunday
Rayners : Blue Rock, OH : 3rd Sunday
Portage Summit : Deerfield, OH : 4th Saturday
Crooked Creek : Hartsgrove, OH : 4th Sunday

(Note that while NEOS and PSFS are both near Deerfield, they are on completely different ranges.)

And not officially USPSA, but we run with identical rules:
NLFG : North Lawrence, OH : 3rd Saturday
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How far/long are you willing to drive?

ETA: I'll just go ahead and list them... these are all matches the local guys get out to with varying regularity, they include northeast Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and central Ohio.

PCSI : Circleville, OH : 1st Saturday
Gem City : Erie, PA : 1st Sunday
Pardoe Sportsmen : Pardoe, PA : 1st Sunday
NEO Shooters : Deerfield, OH : 2nd Saturday
Briar Rabbit : Zanesville, OH : 2nd Sunday
Rayners : Blue Rock, OH : 3rd Sunday
Portage Summit : Deerfield, OH : 4th Saturday
Crooked Creek : Hartsgrove, OH : 4th Sunday

(Note that while NEOS and PSFS are both near Deerfield, they are on completely different ranges.)

And not officially USPSA, but we run with identical rules:
NLFG : North Lawrence, OH : 3rd Saturday
View Quote

Thanks for the list.  Crooked Creek and the two in Portage Co. were what I was looking at.  Is this your club?  It looks like it is only about an hour from me.  I don't mind if it isn't an affiliated club.  Less people to make fun of me when I bomb out!

To answer what appears to have been your original question, 1 or 1 1/2 hours is probably the best I could drive.  I work afternoons, so it is hard for me to get up in time to make it to a match much further than that, unless they have relaxed times.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks for the list.  Crooked Creek and the two in Portage Co. were what I was looking at.  Is this your club?  It looks like it is only about an hour from me.  I don't mind if it isn't an affiliated club.  Less people to make fun of me when I bomb out!
View Quote

Yes, that's the one. I primarily work as RM/QM there more than MD. We try to keep the matches simpler, in part to keep things a bit more approachable for new and casual shooters. It is only 3 stages, as we have to make use of only one big bay, and we aren't allowed to shoot actual steel anymore, but it's still a decent match for $10. I am going to be building a lot of new props soon, some of which may be worked into the September match.

Also don't know why, but I forgot the match I had just shot last night:

MWGC : Canal Fulton, OH : Every other Saturday (next being the 15th)

It is run on an indoor range, so we are more limited in what we can do, but do shoot all year long. During the summer, turnout there is often low, so the matches can be canceled if too few show up. Last night we decided to just run a short match due to the low turnout. During the winter, we often have a very large turnout, with people coming up from Columbus and WV.

If you're inclined to also shoot the "other" sport, MWGC runs "defensive pistol" on the other Saturdays. (While an actual USPSA club, they are not an IDPA club, for a number of reasons, and we can't call it that... but that means we also can be more lenient in some rule interpretations.)
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Here is me totally flubbing a reload on what otherwise would been a 100% classifier.

https://youtu.be/sCx8Hdu6krY

Still good for 87% apparently.
View Quote

Good job.

I also had a good day on the classifier 13-06 Too Close for Comfort.

Should be a 96.96%
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Question for you guys shooting a 34 in Production.

When you reload, are you engaging the mag release weak handed, or shifting the gun in your strong hand?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

When you reload, are you engaging the mag release weak handed, or shifting the gun in your strong hand?

View Quote

Shifting the gun.

I have large hands though so it's less of a drastic shift than some who have to "flip" the gun in the hand.

Weak hand has only one purpose during a reload, and that is to get the fresh mag from the belt into the gun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hit it with my strong hand thumb, but I don't have to shift it or anything. As soon as my weak hand gets out of the way and goes for a mag, my thumb smashes the button.

I guess I have fairly big hands. It helps being a musician and able to span 17 keys with one hand.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top