BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Mr.Shipley,
I just want to go on record stating I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor do I intend to in the future, be a Navy SEAL or claim membership to the Navy SEAL Fraternity.
Nothing against those who really are, but it's just not in the cards for me and I have other avenues I would like to pursue.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I posed once to try and get laid. I said I was Brendan Shanahan, and my buddy claimed to be Joey Kocur. Detroit area bar, laaaaaate at night. It worked. Somewhere 2 strippers are still talking about the night they banged 2 NHL allstars in the parking lot...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My senator Dick Blumenthal for years spoke about being a Vietnam Vet.  He lied the libtards in my state still elected him.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That must be a fairly new phenomenon.... I think Marcinko started it, actually.  

I had two SEALs in my War College class, one CDR, and one LT who did a Med deployment with me.  Both were very quiet.  They disappeared from class for a couple weeks in the winter (missing a class was not allowed) and came back with really good tans.  Strangely, a few days before they returned, a chemical plant blew up in Libya.  Neither would say they had a hand in that, but... 2+2 and all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems to me that most Special Warfare types active and retired are pretty low key.

That has been my experience as well

My cousin who is a current SEAL you would never know it unless you pried it out of him.  As opposed to my other cousin who is a Marine and well you can draw your own conclusions on how he presents himself.

Most SEALs the ones I have met I did not know till they told me … I do not know if it is a discipline of the mind not to advertise or what but not many go around flaunting it.  One of my co-workers is ex-SEAL and I only know because he has his Eagle and Trident on a display in his office and he never brags.

ITT:  People who say "most SEALS" and "all of the NSW guys I know" means they talked to one of them at a range one time.

Fuck off with this bullshit.  If you have met more than one of them, then you know that SEALS are as big a bunch of braggarts as anyone else in the military, if not more so.  They have reason to be proud. They are tough dudes. However, I find it fucking hilarious how everyone in GD knows tons of "silent professionals".  I had no idea that printer repairmen and SOF guys ran in the same social circles.

I had two SEALs in my War College class, one CDR, and one LT who did a Med deployment with me.  Both were very quiet.  They disappeared from class for a couple weeks in the winter (missing a class was not allowed) and came back with really good tans.  Strangely, a few days before they returned, a chemical plant blew up in Libya.  Neither would say they had a hand in that, but... 2+2 and all.

An LT in War College? I thought that was typically senior O4s.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Had opportunities to meet briefly Navy SEALs on several occasions growing up (Father was in the USN and I was a Sea Cadet). I have only ever talked to them in a professional atmosphere and of course I was a child so they were always on their best behavior.  My Father is actively involved in a club of retired Naval Officers that includes one former Navy SEAL who he describes as a bit of a prick.  

I sometimes have found myself wondering what they all do when they separate from the USN?  Do some of them go and actually work some job in a cubicle? Do they all try to become small business owners? Do they go into law enforcement? Seek professional degrees? Are some of them teachers?  Be kind of interesting to see the career field breakdown.

What's a high speed low drag guy do when he has to join the rest of us in the slow lane?
View Quote

One of the guys I know went to med school and was in my intern class... Along with an F-14 pilot, a former USAF Major and a bunch of young new docs that never held a real job.  I worked at Little Creek for a while and rarely met any NSW guys. A few EOD or Seabees, and I know two SF guys, but sorry...I don't know as many as the.rest of GD does.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  That must be a fairly new phenomenon.... I think Marcinko started it, actually.  

What year?

That's amazing,out of all the active duty SEALS,the Navy had to pull those two from your class for that mission.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mark D:
Ask him what his swim buddy's name was (it's not classified).

Ask him what WGMATATS means.

Or, just do the easy thing and give "Frog" over at SOCNET his name - he'll be able to check the BUDs rosters.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ITT:  People who say "most SEALS" and "all of the NSW guys I know" means they talked to one of them at a range one time.

Fuck off with this bullshit.  If you have met more than one of them, then you know that SEALS are as big a bunch of braggarts as anyone else in the military, if not more so.  They have reason to be proud. They are tough dudes. However, I find it fucking hilarious how everyone in GD knows tons of "silent professionals".  I had no idea that printer repairmen and SOF guys ran in the same social circles.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well and I spent over 20 years in Virginia beach and had many in my circle. My buddy who just retired after 24 years with the teams used to say "How do you know when a SEAL walks into a bar? Easy, he tells everyone"

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's amazing,out of all the active duty SEALS,the Navy had to pull those two from your class for that mission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  That must be a fairly new phenomenon.... I think Marcinko started it, actually.  

What year?

I heard that an adult got mauled a few states over by a vicious attack dog.... this was around the same time where my Shih-Tzu disappeared but returned later with messed up hair.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mr.Shipley,
I just want to go on record stating I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor do I intend to in the future, be a Navy SEAL or claim membership to the Navy SEAL Fraternity.
Nothing against those who really are, but it's just not in the cards for me and I have other avenues I would like to pursue.
Thanks.
View Quote

I thought Frank Castle was a Force Recon Marine?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
The ones I drank heavily around at the Oceanfront used to be much quieter back in the day, pre 9/11 when Bosnia-Serbia was happening.   Most people who lived in VB all of their lives had no idea they were operating there (except maybe the ones who drank heavily at the bar with them).  

They'd drink for a couple weeks, then go off on a mission for a couple weeks, then return to the bar on their choppers.  

One time the bar owners put up a big banner saying Welcome Home **** Team or something like that.  Their Commander got wind of it and told them they had to avoid going to the bar for a little while.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What year?

LMFAO +1

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I met a seal last week, served with Chris Kyle, different platoon though. He opened a liquor store right by my office.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I posed once to try and get laid. I said I was Brendan Shanahan, and my buddy claimed to be Joey Kocur. Detroit area bar, laaaaaate at night. It worked. Somewhere 2 strippers are still talking about the night they banged 2 NHL allstars in the parking lot...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I heard that an adult got mauled a few states over by a vicious attack dog.... this was around the same time where my Shih-Tzu disappeared but returned later with messed up hair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What year?

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One of the guys I know went to med school and was in my intern class... Along with an F-14 pilot, a former USAF Major and a bunch of young new docs that never held a real job.  I worked at Little Creek for a while and rarely met any NSW guys. A few EOD or Seabees, and I know two SF guys, but sorry...I don't know as many as the.rest of GD does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had opportunities to meet briefly Navy SEALs on several occasions growing up (Father was in the USN and I was a Sea Cadet). I have only ever talked to them in a professional atmosphere and of course I was a child so they were always on their best behavior.  My Father is actively involved in a club of retired Naval Officers that includes one former Navy SEAL who he describes as a bit of a prick.  

I sometimes have found myself wondering what they all do when they separate from the USN?  Do some of them go and actually work some job in a cubicle? Do they all try to become small business owners? Do they go into law enforcement? Seek professional degrees? Are some of them teachers?  Be kind of interesting to see the career field breakdown.

What's a high speed low drag guy do when he has to join the rest of us in the slow lane?

Navy EOD is NSW, if I remember right.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think you lose that bet.

They have liscense plates.

But, rangers don't talk shit about specifics of their operations.

they maintain opsec like submariners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ITT: You display ignorance.

I've met plenty "more than one of them", and don't find them to be remarkably different than any other SOCOM shooter.  Some are braggarts, some are assholes, some aren't very bright, but for the most part they're good guys who don't go around clamoring for attention.  If I could do a survey I'd be willing to bet that more Batboys have scrolls on their trucks than SEALs have tridents on theirs.

I think you lose that bet.

They have liscense plates.

But, rangers don't talk shit about specifics of their operations.

they maintain opsec like submariners.

I know several sewer pipe sailors and 80% talk like a drunken parrot. Constellation loves hiring those guys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I the only person here who hasn't met a real SEAL?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What year?

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  Well, I had a retired SEAL help teach a military training course several years ago.  That's as close to a SEAL as I've ever gotten.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should try to find one, you are really missing out.  They glow, like a golden aura, and for days after you you leave their presence, you just feel so happy and content, like nothing can go wrong in the world.  It's pure bliss man, pure bliss.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Street I grew up on, my next door neighbor was an old school Frogman, NCDU in WWII, went on to be an NYC Police Officer, retired in the mid 70s as a Detective.   He never talked about his deeds.   We just were told he was a Frogman in the Navy.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Street I grew up on, my next door neighbor was an old school Frogman, NCDU in WWII, went on to be an NYC Police Officer, retired in the mid 70s as a Detective.   He never talked about his deeds.   We just were told he was a Frogman in the Navy.

View Quote

The closet I come, is a relative of mine had a TV Series called 'Sea Hunt'. Where he played a retired Frogman.

Ed

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The closet I come, is a relative of mine had a TV Series called 'Sea Hunt'. Where he played a retired Frogman.

Ed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

I loved that show when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You should try to find one, you are really missing out.  They glow, like a golden aura, and for days after you you leave their presence, you just feel so happy and content, like nothing can go wrong in the world.  It's pure bliss man, pure bliss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, the one's I've met I had no idea till someone told me after they left. One of my HS classmates was one of the seals in the chinook crash several years ago.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Worked with a pretty good number of them. The only ones that I knew to be braggarts were with the Leapfrogs. The operational guys were quiet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SEALs are love.

SEALs are life.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

I met Aaron Reed at the Rockcastle 3-Gun Pro Am.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]
The SEALs bring a lot of this on themselves, since they are by far the most capable, best of the best, uber super duper advertisers of themselves compared to any other unit in the world.

Count the numbers of books written, movies made, and most well-known "commandos" and "Navy SEALs" is going to pop up.

Disregard the fact that within the SOF community, hell even the regular light infantry community, they are a laughing stock in terms of dismounted small unit tactics, individual tasks, and anything resembling military discipline.....which is EXACTLY what the Navy wants and needs from them.

Here's the deal with the SEALs:  With the Army and Marines, a young hard charger walks into the recruiter station and sees several opportunities to actually deploy overseas and meet an enemy face to face, or at least within small arms range.  If you sign up for 11B in the Army, or land 0311 and 03 series in the Marines, you know you are going to be running with the pack, and will have further opportunities to try out for special operations or reconnaissance units that have very rewarding adventures awaiting you.

In the Navy office, you can only sell aircraft carrier deckhands and radar techs so far.  Hot-racking with 6 other dudes in the cubicle buried deep in the belly of a ship on a 6 month float isn't going to get the kids lining up.

But.......if you hang this little opportunity in their faces....

Then the kids will flock to the recruiter station and sign up for 5 and 6 year enlistment terms, vs. the Army' and Marines' 4yr terms.  Then you may say, the SEALs are the best because BUDS is so hard, and weeds out more people than others.  No, BUDS is designed to weed out as many of those poor saps so they can end up in the fleet doing jobs the Navy actually needs them to.

The Navy has had more than ample Maritime Commando capabilities all along.  They're called Marine Force Recon, or even Battalion Recon, who are way more capable than the SEALs when it comes to littoral commando operations.  The Navy doesn't care, and lets the SEALs basically do whatever they want, so that there is a Hollywood sensation about NAVSPECWAR that attracts young men looking for something truly different, that sets them apart from the Army and Marines.  Doesn't matter that it equates to chest pounders who roid up and face little or no consequences for violating every tenet of basic soldiering discipline, conduct, and weapons or sensitive items accountability, because it sells the Navy, and the Navy needs sailors.

This is why so many books are written, and why the Navy immediately signed off on Robinson's Lone Survivor book, with no real fact-checking, since he was already known for being a military fiction writer with an air for sensationalism.  The bigger the lie, the more recruits will show to BUDs, fail, and go to the fleet.  

At a fundamental subconscious level, these poseurs understand what everyone else doesn't.  Being a Navy SEAL makes up for some type of inadequacy.

For the Navy, that means being able to sell itself with a false label that is powerful enough to suck young men into a long enough enlisted contract that will result in a 5 to 6 year term, which is what the Navy needs to fulfill technical training and deployment stats that are adequate enough to keep the fleet doing its highly critical jobs.

For the poseurs, it makes up for the failure they see themselves as deep inside.  The Navy and the posers understand the SEAL mission better than all those looking at them from the outside, trying to figure it all out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What year?

'90.  Late Jan or early Feb as I recall.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
That has been my experience as well

My cousin who is a current SEAL you would never know it unless you pried it out of him.  As opposed to my other cousin who is a Marine and well you can draw your own conclusions on how he presents himself.

Most SEALs the ones I have met I did not know till they told me … I do not know if it is a discipline of the mind not to advertise or what but not many go around flaunting it.  One of my co-workers is ex-SEAL and I only know because he has his Eagle and Trident on a display in his office and he never brags.

The non-resident course in Norfolk... it was a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What year?

Non-resident course... we all had day jobs, and theirs were on Teams.  My apologies, I should have been more clear on that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What year?

Interesting...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1990-03-20/news/9003203521_1_libya-shalgam-chemical-plant
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The issue is that he's going to be telling tons of impressionable kids at school all about his SEAL adventures.  I know at least one teacher thanked him for his service (he could be a veteran, just not a SEAL).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like all the ingredients for a poser. Stolen valor however, no, not unless he's getting benifits because of his claims.

Escalating this further is probably not worth your time.

The issue is that he's going to be telling tons of impressionable kids at school all about his SEAL adventures.  I know at least one teacher thanked him for his service (he could be a veteran, just not a SEAL).

Just wondering...
Is this much different in his eyes than playing Santa Claus?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The SEALs bring a lot of this on themselves, since they are by far the most capable, best of the best, uber super duper advertisers of themselves compared to any other unit in the world.

Count the numbers of books written, movies made, and most well-known "commandos" and "Navy SEALs" is going to pop up.

Disregard the fact that within the SOF community, hell even the regular light infantry community, they are a laughing stock in terms of dismounted small unit tactics, individual tasks, and anything resembling military discipline.....which is EXACTLY what the Navy wants and needs from them.

Here's the deal with the SEALs:  With the Army and Marines, a young hard charger walks into the recruiter station and sees several opportunities to actually deploy overseas and meet an enemy face to face, or at least within small arms range.  If you sign up for 11B in the Army, or land 0311 and 03 series in the Marines, you know you are going to be running with the pack, and will have further opportunities to try out for special operations or reconnaissance units that have very rewarding adventures awaiting you.

In the Navy office, you can only sell aircraft carrier deckhands and radar techs so far.  Hot-racking with 6 other dudes in the cubicle buried deep in the belly of a ship on a 6 month float isn't going to get the kids lining up.

http://www.navy.com/.imaging/stk/sleek/masthead/dms/navy/img/opener/091123-N-8335D-024/document/091123-N-8335D-024.jpg

But.......if you hang this little opportunity in their faces....

http://www.americanspecialops.com/images/photos/navy-seals/seals-80s.jpg
Then the kids will flock to the recruiter station and sign up for 5 and 6 year enlistment terms, vs. the Army' and Marines' 4yr terms.  Then you may say, the SEALs are the best because BUDS is so hard, and weeds out more people than others.  No, BUDS is designed to weed out as many of those poor saps so they can end up in the fleet doing jobs the Navy actually needs them to.

The Navy has had more than ample Maritime Commando capabilities all along.  They're called Marine Force Recon, or even Battalion Recon, who are way more capable than the SEALs when it comes to littoral commando operations.  The Navy doesn't care, and lets the SEALs basically do whatever they want, so that there is a Hollywood sensation about NAVSPECWAR that attracts young men looking for something truly different, that sets them apart from the Army and Marines.  Doesn't matter that it equates to chest pounders who roid up and face little or no consequences for violating every tenet of basic soldiering discipline, conduct, and weapons or sensitive items accountability, because it sells the Navy, and the Navy needs sailors.

This is why so many books are written, and why the Navy immediately signed off on Robinson's Lone Survivor book, with no real fact-checking, since he was already known for being a military fiction writer with an air for sensationalism.  The bigger the lie, the more recruits will show to BUDs, fail, and go to the fleet.  

At a fundamental subconscious level, these poseurs understand what everyone else doesn't.  Being a Navy SEAL makes up for some type of inadequacy.

For the Navy, that means being able to sell itself with a false label that is powerful enough to suck young men into a long enough enlisted contract that will result in a 5 to 6 year term, which is what the Navy needs to fulfill technical training and deployment stats that are adequate enough to keep the fleet doing its highly critical jobs.

For the poseurs, it makes up for the failure they see themselves as deep inside.  The Navy and the posers understand the SEAL mission better than all those looking at them from the outside, trying to figure it all out.
View Quote
From a man with street cred!

OP still waiting for you to come through, just for train wreck fun.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Whole buncha words.
View Quote

A lot of truth in all that.  It is crazy how many kids I run into who are enlisting in the Navy because they are going SEALs.  They are ALL gonna be SEALS.  Of course, I try to mitigate their expectations, because I'm looking at these kids, they aren't training beforehand, or they are 5 foot nothing, 100 and nothing, and I'm just thinking to myself how the whole SEAL lore and Call of Duty thing has made these kids expect that they're all gonna be specops.  Gotta hand it to them, the Navy recognized it as a recruiting tool before anybody else did and went hog wild with it.  It clearly works.

Funny offshoot, I played hockey with a kid this year who is going into the Air Force.  And of course, he is gonna be a PJ.  His recruiter told him he has a guaranteed slot at their indoc or whatever their pipeline is.  He is definitely gonna make it, his recruiter says so.  Kid is probably 5'4".  Probably weighs about a buck 20.  Is he running to prepare?  No.  Is he swimming?  No.  Is he in the gym lifting?  No.  Has he gone on a hike with a pack?  No.  Did I tell him repeatedly he needs to start doing all that sort of shit now before he embarrasses himself on whatever exam or indoc they do and gets shoved into some random ass MOS?  Yep.  But of course, he's gonna be a PJ.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep.

I know a lot of guys from the various high speed communities who stay in the community as contractors or whatnot (either as owners or employees).  But you'd be surprised at how many get entirely out of the life, go back home and either get "regular" jobs or go to school and get degrees in "regular" fields.  I know some very high speed guys who are cops or sheriffs, electricians, IT geeks, a fireman, a high school teacher, a chiropractor, an insurance salesman, a football coach...

Being a high speed low drag type while you are in the .mil doesn't condemn you to permanently work in a high speed low drag job.

Same thing everyone else does.  Pay the bills.  Live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sometimes have found myself wondering what they all do when they separate from the USN? Do some of them go and actually work some job in a cubicle? Do they all try to become small business owners? Do they go into law enforcement? Seek professional degrees? Are some of them teachers?  Be kind of interesting to see the career field breakdown.

Yep.

I know a lot of guys from the various high speed communities who stay in the community as contractors or whatnot (either as owners or employees).  But you'd be surprised at how many get entirely out of the life, go back home and either get "regular" jobs or go to school and get degrees in "regular" fields.  I know some very high speed guys who are cops or sheriffs, electricians, IT geeks, a fireman, a high school teacher, a chiropractor, an insurance salesman, a football coach...

Being a high speed low drag type while you are in the .mil doesn't condemn you to permanently work in a high speed low drag job.

Quoted:What's a high speed low drag guy do when he has to join the rest of us in the slow lane?

Same thing everyone else does.  Pay the bills.  Live.

I once worked with a guy who was a SEAL and went the office cubicle way of life.  Like all professions, there's dicks in all of them and this guy was it.  His cube looked like a recruiters office and would introduce himself as "Mike the Navy Seal."  Everywhere he went, he always said, "Nice to meet you, I'm Mike, I was a Seal."

It got so old, management finally asked him to either go be a SEAL or just be Mike, the cube dweller.  And yeah, he really was a SEAL.  We verified it, cuase he was so fucking annoying.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I met a SEAL once, His name was Andre, he lived in Boothbay Habor Maine during the summer!!!

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I met a SEAL once, His name was Andre, he lived in Boothbay Habor Maine during the summer!!!  
View Quote

bait stealing bastards!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I once worked with a guy who was a SEAL and went the office cubicle way of life.  Like all professions, there's dicks in all of them and this guy was it.  His cube looked like a recruiters office and would introduce himself as "Mike the Navy Seal."  Everywhere he went, he always said, "Nice to meet you, I'm Mike, I was a Seal."

It got so old, management finally asked him to either go be a SEAL or just be Mike, the cube dweller.  And yeah, he really was a SEAL.  We verified it, cuase he was so fucking annoying.
View Quote

That's hilarious.  Yep, I've met more than one SEAL who meets that description.

I never brought any of my love-me wall stuff into work for over 15 years.  I just didn't see the point of it.  When we moved into our offices a couple years ago my business partner badgered me into hanging something on my wall; since we deal with so many prior .mil folks at my office when talking deals and such it made sense.  Otherwise that stuff was in a folder somewhere down in my basement, LOL.

Still, as out and proud as a lot of SEALS can be (see what I did there) IMO when you're in the office the guys who let you know about it the most were the guys who were attached to units but not actually operators or whatnot.  I.e. the guy with the company elsewhere in the building at my last job who loved to talk specops with everybody, even the accounting ladies who didn't understand a word of what he was talking about.  Naturally, he was like a supply clerk or something attached to some specops unit.  Which pretty much made him specops you know.  Those guys ALWAYS let you know how cool they are.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I never brought any of my love-me wall stuff into work for over 15 years.  I just didn't see the point of it.  When we moved into our offices a couple years ago my business partner badgered me into hanging something on my wall; since we deal with so many prior .mil folks at my office when talking deals and such it made sense.  Otherwise that stuff was in a folder somewhere down in my basement, LOL.

Still, as out and proud as a lot of SEALS can be (see what I did there) IMO when you're in the office the guys who let you know about it the most were the guys who were attached to units but not actually operators or whatnot.  I.e. the guy with the company elsewhere in the building at my last job who loved to talk specops with everybody, even the accounting ladies who didn't understand a word of what he was talking about.  Naturally, he was like a supply clerk or something attached to some specops unit.  Which pretty much made him specops you know.  Those guys ALWAYS let you know how cool they are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know one SEAL (recently retired), who in a discussion about the latest books and movies about SEALS, told me, "I wish all these guys would just shut up."
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top