Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Did Don reply, by chance?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell you what, I really, really like and respect Mr. Shipley,

But I LOVE Diane!

In of course the most respectful way.....

God, She's wonderful!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for future video.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
No fucking way!! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I tell women that I am an astronaut and slated #15 to go into space. If I'm the wingman, buddy is #22.

Am I subject to stolen valor?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If you had an older relative (by blood or marriage) that you've always liked, would you 'out' them?  The guy I know is in his 60s, & from the research I did a few year's ago it looks to me like he is lying about being a SEAL.  I've asked him specifics & he starts stumbling trying to answer.  Shit still bothers me some but being family makes it tough.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tell women that I am an astronaut and slated #15 to go into space. If I'm the wingman, buddy is #22.

View Quote

Once they find out you're a 13er, you're done for.................

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you had an older relative (by blood or marriage) that you've always liked, would you 'out' them?  The guy I know is in his 60s, & from the research I did a few year's ago it looks to me like he is lying about being a SEAL.  I've asked him specifics & he starts stumbling trying to answer.  Shit still bothers me some but being family makes it tough.
View Quote

Yes but I would probably handle it more discretely than I would a stranger.  If you know for a fact he isn't legit, go right to him and let him know you know, and he needs to stop claiming it.  If he stops, you'll let it go.  If he continues, you'll have no choice to go public.  My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My cousin who is a current SEAL you would never know it unless you pried it out of him.  As opposed to my other cousin who is a Marine and well you can draw your own conclusions on how he presents himself.

Most SEALs the ones I have met I did not know till they told me … I do not know if it is a discipline of the mind not to advertise or what but not many go around flaunting it.  One of my co-workers is ex-SEAL and I only know because he has his Eagle and Trident on a display in his office and he never brags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems to me that most Special Warfare types active and retired are pretty low key.

That has been my experience as well

My cousin who is a current SEAL you would never know it unless you pried it out of him.  As opposed to my other cousin who is a Marine and well you can draw your own conclusions on how he presents himself.

Most SEALs the ones I have met I did not know till they told me … I do not know if it is a discipline of the mind not to advertise or what but not many go around flaunting it.  One of my co-workers is ex-SEAL and I only know because he has his Eagle and Trident on a display in his office and he never brags.

ITT:  People who say "most SEALS" and "all of the NSW guys I know" means they talked to one of them at a range one time.

Fuck off with this bullshit.  If you have met more than one of them, then you know that SEALS are as big a bunch of braggarts as anyone else in the military, if not more so.  They have reason to be proud. They are tough dudes. However, I find it fucking hilarious how everyone in GD knows tons of "silent professionals".  I had no idea that printer repairmen and SOF guys ran in the same social circles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ITT:  People who say "most SEALS" and "all of the NSW guys I know" means they talked to one of them at a range one time.

Fuck off with this bullshit.  If you have met more than one of them, then you know that SEALS are as big a bunch of braggarts as anyone else in the military, if not more so.  They have reason to be proud. They are tough dudes. However, I find it fucking hilarious how everyone in GD knows tons of "silent professionals".  I had no idea that printer repairmen and SOF guys ran in the same social circles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems to me that most Special Warfare types active and retired are pretty low key.

I've met or trained with at least 20 various dudes from the special operations community and can only think of one that was a bragging douche bag. I worked with a few of them for years at my currecnt gig before they left for Triple Canopy and the like. For the most part, they were solid dudes that had their shit straight.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Had a former SEAL buy a house across the street from my parents when I was in my late teens.  He had done like 12 years in the Navy and got out to come back home and take over the family business.  You could not have asked for a better neighbor.  He was as friendly as could be.  His children were very polite and very athletic.  The only time SEAL talk/training came out of his mouth was when I was in my early 20's and thought that I would like to learn how to scuba dive.  He said he would love to teach me how to dive, that he had done so much in the Navy that he really grew to enjoy recreational diving.  He lived in that house for about 20 years.  Sold it a few years ago and moved back to the San Deigo area, he still sends Christmas cards to my dad.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:57:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Class 62 is not mid 80's  
View Quote

Sounds like late 60's or something.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:11:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Been deployed twice with them. The SEALs make it especially known that they are special.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I've run across a few real Seals over the years and found three types.
1. Quiet but deadly
2. Crazy but deadly
3. Drunk and it took 3 Marine  MP's to cuff him.  (I was an aux MP and I was one of the 3, dang did he put up a fight. I'm sure if he'd been sober it'd got real ugly)

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#15]
You should had him ask for a diagram for setting up an ambush.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

"That's classified"  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I swear to God I am the only guy on GD (possibly the world) who did 1 enlistment and went home, having accomplished nothing special. And I don't know anyone who is a Silent Pro.

My kids bought me a couple T-Shirts with "ARMY" on the front.....I rarely wear them, because of all these fucking posers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I work at a charter school.  Last couple of days I've seen a gentleman with a district ID card (not one of our faculty ones) in the halls. The card would indicate he is a PSR or some such.  He always carries a tan canvas bag with a big red cross on it labeled NAVY SEAL/US NAVY/SEAL TEAM/NAVY MEDIC/SEAL CORPSMAN and the locations Lebanon, Lybia, South America, Panama, Persian Gulf, Bagdad (his spelling), Beirut, etc, etc.  This is all done in red and black sharpie.  I had assumed it was the bag of a SpecEd middle school student he deals with .

Today he shows up with the bag, a notebook covered in NAVY SEALS stickers, and he's wearing a NAVY SEAL T-shirt (not dress code), I realized it's HIS stuff, not the kid's.  I asked him "What's with all the Navy SEAL stuff?", he mumbles, "It's me".  I said, "You were in the Teams?"  He replies, "I just retired from the Navy."  I then asked, "As a SEAL?"  He finally says, "Yeah I was a SEAL in the 80's and 90's."  I commented, "Wow, Navy Special Warfare, huh."  He seemed a bit confused by the NSW comment.

I talked with him for a couple of minutes and got this:

NAME: (I won't post in GD)
DATES OF SERVICE: 1980's and 90's
SERVED WITH: Teams 3 and 5
BUDS CLASS NUMBER: He stammered a bit and came up with 62

I know a couple of West Coast SEALS who served in the late 80's and early 90's, he had never heard of them.  Obviously everything seems off.  I only had the chance to chat with him for a couple of minutes, he avoided me later on when I saw him.  I'm generally a MYOB kind of guy, but Stolen Valor makes me mad.  From the bag I'm sure he'll claim to be a medic, I can bust him easy if that's the case ( a few TC3 type questions ought to do it).  Any advice on how to proceed?  I'm sure there are some sites that can verify him by name as well.

UPDATE: IMed his name and info. to a member here to verify if he served at all.  Sent Don Shipley a message on Facebook and mentioned the hounds of AR15.com had told me to send him the guy's information.  I will play nice the next few days and try to get a phone # and some good poser stories for Mr. Shipley.  Hopefully you guys will have a funny new video to watch soon!
View Quote

I've no idea why you guys give a crap about this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"That's classified"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"That's classified"  

I can show you how to ambush a coffee cup.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a lot bigger than a guy simply lieing about military service. These people bring others into their web of lies, especially in this case where it involves children. They're given money and other tangible benifits for their lies. That's why we give a crap about this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's a lot bigger than a guy simply lieing about military service. These people bring others into their web of lies, especially in this case where it involves children. They're given money and other tangible benifits for their lies. That's why we give a crap about this stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is so true.  They use the lies to get attention and free stuff.  Most the time their family bears the brunt of the fall out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

ITT: You display ignorance.

I've met plenty "more than one of them", and don't find them to be remarkably different than any other SOCOM shooter.  Some are braggarts, some are assholes, some aren't very bright, but for the most part they're good guys who don't go around clamoring for attention.  If I could do a survey I'd be willing to bet that more Batboys have scrolls on their trucks than SEALs have tridents on theirs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've met plenty "more than one of them", and don't find them to be remarkably different than any other SOCOM shooter.  Some are braggarts, some are assholes, some aren't very bright, but for the most part they're good guys who don't go around clamoring for attention.  If I could do a survey I'd be willing to bet that more Batboys have scrolls on their trucks than SEALs have tridents on theirs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you lose that bet.

They have liscense plates.

But, rangers don't talk shit about specifics of their operations.

they maintain opsec like submariners.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I might, but it would be close.

And no, Rangers don't talk about their ops, and since I'm personally aware of leaks on one of our special subs, I'd say they're actually better than submariners in that regard.  I don't know what they do in the 75th, but it works.  However, we're talking about announcing to the world that you're a fill_in_the_blank", and I think you'll admit that Rangers are pretty good at that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That must be a fairly new phenomenon.... I think Marcinko started it, actually.  

I had two SEALs in my War College class, one CDR, and one LT who did a Med deployment with me.  Both were very quiet.  They disappeared from class for a couple weeks in the winter (missing a class was not allowed) and came back with really good tans.  Strangely, a few days before they returned, a chemical plant blew up in Libya.  Neither would say they had a hand in that, but... 2+2 and all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention, because there are so many of them, it makes it a lot harder if you actually ARE a veteran.  Because of all the posers everyone wants to question you.  And god forbid you actually did have a slightly higher speed job, now everybody's first instinct is to call bullshit.  All because of the douches who run around claiming they were Tier 1 Operators to get laid at a bar when they never even stepped foot in a recruiters office.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
However, we're talking about announcing to the world that you're a fill_in_the_blank", and I think you'll admit that Rangers are pretty good at that.
View Quote

I mean, they do carry around a tab with them at all times just in case they need to show you.    
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw seals at the zoo once.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#29]
In for the smackdown.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fuck off with this bullshit. If you have met more than one of them, then you know that SEALS are as big a bunch of braggarts as anyone else in the military, if not more so.  They have reason to be proud. They are tough dudes. However, I find it fucking hilarious how everyone in GD knows tons of "silent professionals".  I had no idea that printer repairmen and SOF guys ran in the same social circles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck off with this bullshit. If you have met more than one of them, then you know that SEALS are as big a bunch of braggarts as anyone else in the military, if not more so.  They have reason to be proud. They are tough dudes. However, I find it fucking hilarious how everyone in GD knows tons of "silent professionals".  I had no idea that printer repairmen and SOF guys ran in the same social circles.

Yep.  I spent a decent amount of time in Little Creek when I was active duty.  If you can't spot them a mile away with beards and stickers all over their lifted pickups, they'll shout it at you...and then write a book about it when they retire.

I'll never forget the time I was walking my dog (90 lab...he scared people for some reason).  Anyways, I'm walking my dog through the parking lot when a guy pops around the corner and my dog barks.  I tell the guy not to worry - my dog is friendly.  All he says is "look at my truck [*points to giant SEAL sticker*] and ask me if I'm scared."    Yeah, ok buddy....

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:ITT:  People who say "most SEALS" and "all of the NSW guys I know" means they talked to one of them at a range one time.

View Quote

alright smart guy, where have we all been, and what have we all done?

See, while I'm as low speed high drag as it gets, you still meet people. I admire waterdawgs, becasue well, they're waterdawgs!

yeah, I'm met a bunch of seals, a few army SOF guys, and maybe even a marsoc or 50.  worked for them, not with them. but even then, you talk to them, and get an impression of them. you start to notice a pattern.  that's what people who've met some are saying.

so next time i see a seal, or green beret, or whatever, I'll say the same thing i usually do.

would you like fries with that  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#32]
We had a squid poser that worked for us. He used to brag about "Seal Training"(never called it BUDS). Said he got medical release due to a knee injury.
Always bragging and talking shit and we all got sick of it.
One day he started in and I asked him in his Seal training how long it took him to learn to balance a ball on his nose.
In a real cocksure manner he said about two days.
Then he realized what I had asked him.
We never heard another word about "Seal Training".....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#33]
FWIW, since the thread has temporarily derailed and now we're talking about who brags etc. if you were a SEAL, Ranger, SF, whatever and you want to be vocal about it and slap stickers on your lifted truck and whatnot...go right ahead.  You earned it after all.  Granted, I tend to rag on the SEALS for pumping out books at light speed because to an extent you should be silent warriors and all, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of what you were able to accomplish and you shouldn't have to hide it either.  Go right ahead.

A lot of SEALS brag for one reason...it works.  Apparently it tends to drop panties, and it makes dudes get all amped up like fanboys at a brony convention.  I mean, expecting a SEAL/SF/Ranger/Recon/PJ/whatever to not get a little of his shine on is kind of like expecting the guys in Motley Crue to pretend they aren't in Motley Crue when they go out for a night on the town.  If people keep caring, people will keep letting people know.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We had a squid poser that worked for us. He used to brag about "Seal Training"(never called it BUDS). Said he got medical release due to a knee injury.
One day he started in and I asked him in his Seal training how long it took him to learn to balance a ball on his nose.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I swear to God I am the only guy on GD (possibly the world) who did 1 enlistment and went home, having accomplished nothing special. And I don't know anyone who is a Silent Pro..
View Quote

Nope.  
I'm the same, just a different branch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

well played, sir.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My high school Explorer Post was run by a battalion of the 20th Special Forces Group (Airborne), so not only did I hang out with a bunch of SF guys in those days, a number of my peers went on to join the unit or went active duty and went SF.  One of my best friends is a prominent military science fiction writer, he has fans in all of the various military communities, and I've met a number of them, including multiple SEALs (including a former OIC of BUD/S, who I'm still in touch with).  Hell, one of my Master's students went to the Teams and came back for class one time, so I've even sparred with a SEAL ;-)  Then there was the plank owner from Team 2 who owned a pretty good restaurant in Atlanta, and had some bits of SEAL memorabilia up on the walls, if you knew what to look for (Dante Stephenson, restaurant was Dante's Down The Hatch, now closed, I took the former BUD/S OIC there once and they exchanged bona fides and he chastised my friend for not joining the Frogman association).  That's not even counting the ones I know through my brother, who was a Ranger Instructor with FreeFallE7 at Swamp Phase...

AR15.com has people from a wide variety of backgrounds, it never pays to make assumptions about whether someone from a particular background might be around...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Nobody else finds these guys kind of sad really?

Pretty pathetic to feel your life is so wasted that you have to pretend to be something else.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guy I work with has monster Ranger stickers on the back of his car, but he's a good dude. One of my other coworkers was a Ranger that went into Grenada and you'd never know it.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Had opportunities to meet briefly Navy SEALs on several occasions growing up (Father was in the USN and I was a Sea Cadet). I have only ever talked to them in a professional atmosphere and of course I was a child so they were always on their best behavior.  My Father is actively involved in a club of retired Naval Officers that includes one former Navy SEAL who he describes as a bit of a prick.  

I sometimes have found myself wondering what they all do when they separate from the USN?  Do some of them go and actually work some job in a cubicle? Do they all try to become small business owners? Do they go into law enforcement? Seek professional degrees? Are some of them teachers?  Be kind of interesting to see the career field breakdown.

What's a high speed low drag guy do when he has to join the rest of us in the slow lane?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#41]
OP... Did he reference his SEAL career as part of his resume' to get hired..?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Had opportunities to meet briefly Navy SEALs on several occasions growing up (Father was in the USN and I was a Sea Cadet). I have only ever talked to them in a professional atmosphere and of course I was a child so they were always on their best behavior.  My Father is actively involved in a club of retired Naval Officers that includes one former Navy SEAL who he describes as a bit of a prick.  

I sometimes have found myself wondering what they all do when they separate from the USN? Do some of them go and actually work some job in a cubicle? Do they all try to become small business owners? Do they go into law enforcement? Seek professional degrees? Are some of them teachers?  Be kind of interesting to see the career field breakdown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I sometimes have found myself wondering what they all do when they separate from the USN? Do some of them go and actually work some job in a cubicle? Do they all try to become small business owners? Do they go into law enforcement? Seek professional degrees? Are some of them teachers?  Be kind of interesting to see the career field breakdown.

Yep.

I know a lot of guys from the various high speed communities who stay in the community as contractors or whatnot (either as owners or employees).  But you'd be surprised at how many get entirely out of the life, go back home and either get "regular" jobs or go to school and get degrees in "regular" fields.  I know some very high speed guys who are cops or sheriffs, electricians, IT geeks, a fireman, a high school teacher, a chiropractor, an insurance salesman, a football coach...

Being a high speed low drag type while you are in the .mil doesn't condemn you to permanently work in a high speed low drag job.

Quoted:What's a high speed low drag guy do when he has to join the rest of us in the slow lane?

Same thing everyone else does.  Pay the bills.  Live.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Mark D:
Ask him what WGMATATS means.
View Quote

That's funny ... have not heard it in a few years.

Where'd you pick it up, in some guys memoirs book or something?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Once walked into a bar in Korea with a friend of mine.
He was new and didn't know the area at all.
We walk up to the bar and order a beer.
This chick walks over and begins talking to him.
" what do you do? she asks. "
He's honest and says " I'm a Navy Seal! "  ( yeah he really was )
She was like " wow that is impressive. "
I said " but I have $40. "
She said " that is even more impressive. "
That was his first encounter with a hooker over there.

To this day we both still laugh over that story.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What's a high speed low drag guy do when he has to join the rest of us in the slow lane?
View Quote

If he is any good, he assimilates!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would be surprised if a real deal SEAL would walk around advertising the fact like that.
View Quote

THIS^^
The two that I have drank many beers with were both very quiet about it. One even got voted  "Honor man" by his classmates for kicking several instructors collective asses at the same time... in HALO(the video game)...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Here is one that Don Shipley did on a local reporter here. I was reported on another local station, but this asshole still is on the air. I watched one of his reports last night. I think about it every time I see him

http://youtu.be/_tev43vwD1M
View Quote

WOW ! A real life Army SEAL! It'd be worth the drive from Dallas just to meet him.

and call him a liar to his face.

hey, isnt that Marcus Lutrell guy from that area?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I put a seal in a truck in the Army . Somehow it is not the same
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yes but I would probably handle it more discretely than I would a stranger.  If you know for a fact he isn't legit, go right to him and let him know you know, and he needs to stop claiming it.  If he stops, you'll let it go.  If he continues, you'll have no choice to go public.  My 2 cents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a BIL (my sister lives near me and he lives 270 miles away ) that was in the National Guard during Nam. The guy never left the states.
Now he has a Bronze Star, Purple Heart, on and on. He tells anyone that will listen of his missions in the jungles of Nam. The problem is everyone where he lives knows him. And knows he did not do a tour over there.
What they don't know, is that these were Top Secret Missions. And he has the doctored DD214 to prove it.
I haven't been able to find out if he has/is getting VA bennies for his Combat Wounds. As my Sister won't talk about it.
I have contacted the VA and the Army about him. But have not heard anything back.
Ed

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  That must be a fairly new phenomenon.... I think Marcinko started it, actually.  

I had two SEALs in my War College class, one CDR, and one LT who did a Med deployment with me.  Both were very quiet.  They disappeared from class for a couple weeks in the winter (missing a class was not allowed) and came back with really good tans.  Strangely, a few days before they returned, a chemical plant blew up in Libya.  Neither would say they had a hand in that, but... 2+2 and all.
View Quote

What year?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top