BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If my and the radar horizon calculator site's math are correct 7.2 seconds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What physics is there to defeat?

For the use of DU or today Tungsten in the 20mm Phalanx, with the main threat being a Supersonic AShCM, the idea is that a oncoming penetrating round will pass through much of the missile, without breaking it into many high speed pieces. This is important, the main consideration with Phalanx was that engaging such a fast target at insufficient ranges would still put the targeted ship at risk because of the high energy of the leftover pieces of cruise missile if it broke apart. The Tungsten penetrator in the Block 1B is sub caliber, and higher velocity for shipboard use to help extend range.

If you have high velocity tungsten penetrating round that passes lengthwise through the cruise missiles systems, a single round could hit the ASM's radar, avionics, flight control systems, warhead, engine, etc. making it unflyable in one large piece which was preferable to breaking it up and having the pieces hit you.

Lets do high school triginometery and physics.
Missile 10 feet off the surface traveling at 1800 miles per hour.
Radar 50 feet off the surface (just a guess, I have no idea how high it is)

How long will the target ship have to acquire, calculate, slew and engage?

You win a cookie!

I actually have no idea, I didn't do the math but that sounds about right.
And really take away a second from that because of minimum engagement distances if they apply to the system.

super fast sea skimmers are scary shit.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If you watch the video, two objects hit that ship.

View Quote

I'd be very interested to see video from sea-level.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You win a cookie!

And really take away a second from that because of minimum engagement distances if they apply to the system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What physics is there to defeat?

For the use of DU or today Tungsten in the 20mm Phalanx, with the main threat being a Supersonic AShCM, the idea is that a oncoming penetrating round will pass through much of the missile, without breaking it into many high speed pieces. This is important, the main consideration with Phalanx was that engaging such a fast target at insufficient ranges would still put the targeted ship at risk because of the high energy of the leftover pieces of cruise missile if it broke apart. The Tungsten penetrator in the Block 1B is sub caliber, and higher velocity for shipboard use to help extend range.

If you have high velocity tungsten penetrating round that passes lengthwise through the cruise missiles systems, a single round could hit the ASM's radar, avionics, flight control systems, warhead, engine, etc. making it unflyable in one large piece which was preferable to breaking it up and having the pieces hit you.

Lets do high school triginometery and physics.
Missile 10 feet off the surface traveling at 1800 miles per hour.
Radar 50 feet off the surface (just a guess, I have no idea how high it is)

How long will the target ship have to acquire, calculate, slew and engage?

You win a cookie!

I get a horizon of 14mi.  at half a mile a second, that is ~28 seconds.  Good thing NIFC-CA and SM-6 are entering service.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Not an explosives guy, but I am a ship guy..

Second missle looks to have hit right at the mast and penetrated through the ship.. It looks like it detonated in the engineering area..

Depending on the layout of the ship and its load of fuel there may have been anywhere from a few tons to over 100 tons of some kind of fuel oil on board..

If it was stored in the side wing tanks the blast would have ripped through those tanks and blown the whole fuel load..

IMO, that explosion was possible without any secondary..
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, see the following:

http://gallery.military.ir/albums/userpics/CIWS_article.pdf

"The Phalanx can also be interfaced
with virtually any ship combat system to
provide additional sensor and fire-control
capability, and can provide target designation
for other shipboard weapons such as
Raytheon’s Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM)."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Has Phalanx been updated to extend the range of 20mm ammunition?

Yes, see the following:

http://gallery.military.ir/albums/userpics/CIWS_article.pdf

"The Phalanx can also be interfaced
with virtually any ship combat system to
provide additional sensor and fire-control
capability, and can provide target designation
for other shipboard weapons such as
Raytheon’s Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM)."

"Can be" is an ambiguous statement; does not address the challenges and negatives of doing so; and does not describe "as is" condition.

What ships have SEARAM?

Quoted:
In reference to the now outdated Block 1
"In automatic control, the gun will prioritize the first six threats it sees at about 10,000 yards (9,100 m) and engage at 4,000 yards (3,600 m)."

The above link shows that Phalanx is expected to start shooting at up to 6 simultaneous cued incoming AShM at a range of nearly 4km!! Which seems to coincide well with the modeling program used in the thesis below, indicating that the missiles can be engaged from 4km and down to 2km without the defending ship being struck by debris.

Additionally, the FLIR assists the radar in engaging some ASCM's bringing a greater chance of ship survivability

You can have your thesis.  I'll stick with observed performance.

Does not answer my question re:  how that helps an ADU defend the HVU

Quoted:
It's hinted again in the above document that the Anti-ship missiles need to be destroyed at 1.5km or more in order to prevent the defending ship from being damaged by debris, and there's models showing the approximate number of parts that might hit the ship at what ranges inside of 1.5km.

"Block 1 was successfully tested in 185 engagements in 1985-94, targets including 155mm shells and Vandal (ex Talos) and BQM-34 drones, some of which popped up during flight. "

Aren't Vandal or ex Talos missiles Mach 2.5, with a smaller frontal cross section than most Russian Anti Ship Cruise Missiles?

How many of those were stream raids?  Better hope Red shoots onesies.

Compare end games and altitudes between Vandal and Sunburn, Sizzler, Brahmos, etc

Quoted:

It's from Raytheon and dated from 2000.

From the brochure on page 8:

And observed performance always matches the brochure; that's why testing is a waste of money.  Do you work for Raytheon?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, but I can only post public sources, don't need any opsec edits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I get a horizon of 14mi.  at half a mile a second, that is ~28 seconds.  Good thing NIFC-CA and SM-6 are entering service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think you are correct.  I got miles per second and seconds per mile backwards in Windows calculator.

Ok! Ok! I must have, I must have put a decimal point in the wrong place
or something. Shit. I always do that. I always mess up some mundane
detail.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Why has every other major country (Including Norway...) put effort into developing highly advanced anti-ship missiles and we're still stuck with the Harpoon? And why do our newest ships not even carry anti-ship missiles?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why has every other major country (Including Norway...) put effort into developing highly advanced anti-ship missiles and we're still stuck with the Harpoon? And why do our newest ships not even carry anti-ship missiles?
View Quote

The United States Navy is incompetent. The same could be said for all the armed forces in this country. Too many resources have led to idiocy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The United States Navy is incompetent. The same could be said for all the armed forces in this country. Too many resources have led to idiocy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that.

Anyone else?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Rigged or not, I wouldn't want to be on the ship that got slapped with one of those.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prove your statement. I dare you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take a look around you. It is obvious on the face of it. Procuring systems that bring jobs to the districts of Congressmen has replaced actual thought.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the navy has decided subs and aircraft launched from carriers will be used to kill enemy warships.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Take a look around you. It is obvious on the face of it. Procuring systems that bring jobs to the districts of Congressmen has replaced actual thought.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked you to prove your statement, and you haven't. Wanna try again?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you cannot see the obvious then no amount of writing will help you to see the truth. I am sadden by your lack of critical thinking ability.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

him again

he won't......
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you cannot see the obvious then no amount of writing will help you to see the truth. I am sadden by your lack of critical thinking ability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hey look - that answer again.... hold on, let me find the last time you said that as a response....

somewhere in this abortion of a thread.....

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

hey look - that answer again.... hold on, let me find the last time you said that as a response....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not my fault it holds true in so many cases.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because we have aircraft and submarines that are more than capable of handling any current surface threat.  Now that it looks like China will build a substantial surface fleet, we are developing LRASM.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. So we have a .mil hating 14er who can't back up his statements. My shocked face
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Makes sense hugo that it would scare the lemmings who run this country in to being docile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
I suspect based on the several different explosions that this ship was rigged.

The missile did hit but I don't believe something moving that fast can carry that much explosive along with it.  

Maybe they were simulating light offs of ordnance aboard the ship, but I suspect shenanigans since this was released publicly.
Two missiles of 9900 lb each,carrying 1400 lb of explosive together. Impact speed Mach 3. Looks legit.

Hint, ordnance explosives do not create fireballs.  

Shenanigans

OK, so assuming that this is clearly staged with extra explosives.... any ordnance guy is going to look at this and immediately know it is rigged. So what is the point? Makes them look kind of stupid.  It would be like me shooting a car in the trunk, where I had a tank of propane, and a lit road flare, then claiming my 5.56 round is explosive.

Makes it look scary to 'Muricans who will fear greatly having their sons and daughters face the bear.

And it camoflages the missile's true characteristics and capabilities to an extent.

In summary,a propaganda and deception twofer.

Makes sense hugo that it would scare the lemmings who run this country in to being docile.

Would you stick a carrier with 3000 american Servicemen on it in a dangerous zone if you knew this could happen and you couldn't do much to stop it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for that.

Anyone else?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for that.

Anyone else?

Arguably the US Navy is the only one capable of taking control of the seas without them.

We are, by far, the strongest Navy in the world.  When you have disproportionate strength, you fight asymetrically.  Anti-Ship missiles are the tools of the defensive, weaker opponent.

Real navies use submarines to sink ships.

Witness the falklands.

Both are effective weapons systems.  But the US Navy doesn't need great ASCMs to do its mission (though I advocate they should have them.)

Our allies certainly do, however.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
At 2.2mach those missiles don't even need warheads. Modern naval vessels aren't exactly packed with armor.
View Quote

About half of the SSM and ASM and bomb hits in history have resulted in no warhead detonation.  Just kinetic damage.

Lots of those tin cans sank or were out of the fight a long time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Arguably the US Navy is the only one capable of taking control of the seas without them.

We are, by far, the strongest Navy in the world.  When you have disproportionate strength, you fight asymetrically.  Anti-Ship missiles are the tools of the defensive, weaker opponent.

Witness the falklands.

Both are effective weapons systems.  But the US Navy doesn't need great ASCMs to do its mission (though I advocate they should have them.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for that.

Anyone else?

Witness the falklands.

He who has the most toys, wins.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

him again

he won't......
View Quote

I could point out the very fact Mr(?). electricsheep brought up. The United States Navy fields brand new ships without the ability to shoot other ships at range. How is America's navy supposed to sweep the seas of their adversaries if it cannot shoot those adversaries? Congress doesn't care as long as the Navy continues to build expensive ships and radars in their districts.

We could also talk about the failures in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am quite sure the response is going to be the tired old response of "if only the politicians had given us more time." The truth of the matter is the United States Army and to a lesser degree the United States Marine Corps fails to understand that military action does not exist in a vaccum. They are on a timeline. They need to think quickly and creatively to restore order and set the conditions for a healthy nation. They do not. They would rather spend hundreds of millions of dollars, or even billions of dollars, over the course of a decade then blame the politicians for their failures. That's O.K. by Congress to a point, because their districts get to refurbish worn out tanks, build mine resistant vehicles

The United States Marine Corps is especially incompetent. It is operating extremely old amphibious assault vehicles. Marines did not care about their amphibious assault vehicles when they were receiving money acting as a second land army. Now that the marines are being pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan they are left with the very same vehicles they started with, only those vehicles are older, and the nation is poorer after the failed development of the advanced amphibious assault vehicle. They didn't care about being amphibious until the wars stopped and they realized they had to distinguish themselves from the U.S. Army. In the mean time, they have enriched Congressional districts with the MV-22, CH-53K, AH-1Z, UH-1Y, and the F-35B, all systems the marines could use while playing America's second land army. They have newer aircraft than the United States Air Force. This is the service who used to complain about U.S. Army hand-me-downs.

The United States Air Force still does not understand the what a nuclear deterrent is and continues to insist on manned bombers in a deterrent role. They continually underfund the very weapons the nation depends on for its existence. Without nuclear weapons the continuity of the nation is not assured. The United States Air Force would rather fund expensive pork projects like long range strike bomber and F-35A. What is so absurd about United States Air Force spending is they have fewer ongoing new manned aircraft acquisitions than the United States Marine Corps does.

If you do not see this and do not understand the implications behind all of these follies then I truly weep for your lack of ability to think critically.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Afghanistan and Iraq would quickly disprove that idea.

We should have them because, while we may have the strongest navy in the world, it can't be everywhere.  There may be times when we can't dedicate  a CSG to patrol an area but still have a requirement to dissuade unfriendly navies while not commiting a large force our current inventory demands.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I could point out the very fact Mr(?). electricsheep brought up. The United States Navy fields brand new ships without the ability to shoot other ships at range. How is America's navy supposed to sweep the seas of their adversaries if it cannot shoot those adversaries? Congress doesn't care as long as the Navy continues to build expensive ships and radars in their districts.

We could also talk about the failures in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am quite sure the response is going to be the tired old response of "if only the politicians had given us more time." The truth of the matter is the United States Army and to a lesser degree the United States Marine Corps fails to understand that military action does not exist in a vaccum. They are on a timeline. They need to think quickly and creatively to restore order and set the conditions for a healthy nation. They do not. They would rather spend hundreds of millions of dollars, or even billions of dollars, over the course of a decade then blame the politicians for their failures. That's O.K. by Congress to a point, because their districts get to refurbish worn out tanks, build mine resistant vehicles

The United States Marine Corps is especially incompetent. It is operating extremely old amphibious assault vehicles. Marines did not care about their amphibious assault vehicles when they were receiving money acting as a second land army. Now that the marines are being pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan they are left with the very same vehicles they started with, only those vehicles are older, and the nation is poorer after the failed development of the advanced amphibious assault vehicle. They didn't care about being amphibious until the wars stopped and they realized they had to distinguish themselves from the U.S. Army. In the mean time, they have enriched Congressional districts with the MV-22, CH-53K, AH-1Z, UH-1Y, and the F-35B, all systems the marines could use while playing America's second land army. They have newer aircraft than the United States Air Force. This is the service who used to complain about U.S. Army hand-me-downs.

The United States Air Force still does not understand the what a nuclear deterrent is and continues to insist on manned bombers in a deterrent role. They continually underfund the very weapons the nation depends on for its existence. Without nuclear weapons the continuity of the nation is not assured. The United States Air Force would rather fund expensive pork projects like long range strike bomber and F-35A. What is so absurd about United States Air Force spending is they have fewer ongoing new manned aircraft acquisitions than the United States Marine Corps does.

If you do not see this and do not understand the implications behind all of these follies then I truly weep for your lack of ability to think critically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

him again

he won't......

Lets see some actual sources on all this bullshit you're spewing, cupcake.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey... I remember this guy

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The United States Marine Corps is especially incompetent. It is operating extremely old amphibious assault vehicles. Marines did not care about their amphibious assault vehicles when they were receiving money acting as a second land army.
View Quote

The EFV/AAAV has been under development for decades. Delivery is supposed to be taking place now, but I have no idea if that's actually the case. I'm sure some Marines will be along shortly to comment on this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We should have them because, while we may have the strongest navy in the world, it can't be everywhere.  There may be times when we can't dedicate  a CSG to patrol an area but still have a requirement to dissuade unfriendly navies while not commiting a large force our current inventory demands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That... is a good point.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

him again

he won't......

I cannot source every news article over the last fifteen years. Perhaps you should pay more attention, pop tart.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Is Primorsky back as a `14'r?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I cannot source every news article over the last fifteen years. Perhaps you should pay more attention, pop tart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

him again

he won't......

So try a few.

edit: has norcal checked this guy yet?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The EFV/AAAV has been under development for decades. Delivery is supposed to be taking place now, but I have no idea if that's actually the case. I'm sure some Marines will be along shortly to comment on this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The United States Marine Corps is especially incompetent. It is operating extremely old amphibious assault vehicles. Marines did not care about their amphibious assault vehicles when they were receiving money acting as a second land army.

The marines cancelled that program.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So try a few.

edit: has norcal checked this guy yet?
View Quote

Try www.google.com.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#38]

edit: That's not how this works kid. YOU get to back up YOUR arguments. Not me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Now that's a kill shot!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Would you stick a carrier with 3000 american Servicemen on it in a dangerous zone if you knew this could happen and you couldn't do much to stop it?
View Quote

I agreed with H46 when he said pretty much the exact same thing.  But i also asked if the navy would have something in the works to defeat a seaskimming supersonic missile?  I thought about it after he scolded the first time and since changed my mind. Even if the test isn't real the threat is very real.  But yes the idea of a supersonic missile is scary without being able to protect yourself from single to multiple threats coming your way.  And to your question no I wouldn't want our sailors out there without a way to protect themselves.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am no "kid." I am neither a goat nor a child.

If you are truly interested I suggest several sources you should read daily:
www.janes.com
www.defenseindustrydaily.com
www.aviationweek.com

Those three require subscriptions to get at the really good content. Except for Aviation Week, the subscriptions are not cheap.

You can also use sites like:
www.defensenews.com
www.defencetalk.com
www.breakingdefense.com

Those sites are free.

I will give you fair warning. There is not one source or article that has everything I posted in it. You have to be able to gather information, comprehend what is being conveyed to you by written word, think critically, and then realize what is going on. If you have the reading comprehension and critical thinking ability to do so. I do not hold out hope.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agreed with H46 when he said pretty much the exact same thing.  But i also asked if the navy would have something in the works to defeat a seaskimming supersonic missile?  I thought about it after he scolded the first time and since changed my mind. Even if the test isn't real the threat is very real.  But yes the idea of a supersonic missile is scary without being able to protect yourself from single to multiple threats coming your way.  And to your question no I wouldn't want our sailors out there without a way to protect themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

picket ships.

the question is can we even afford those anymore?

At some point you need mass.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#43]

You forgot to have it having a Putin action figure in one hand and a Russian-to-English dictionary in the other.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

www.janes.com
www.aviationweek.com

Those three require subscriptions to get at the really good content. Except for Aviation Week, the subscriptions are not cheap.

www.defensenews.com
www.defencetalk.com
www.breakingdefense.com

Those sites are free.

I will give you fair warning. There is not one source or article that has everything I posted in it. You have to be able to gather information, comprehend what is being conveyed to you by written word, think critically, and then realize what is going on. If you have the reading comprehension and critical thinking ability to do so. I do not hold out hope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.janes.com
www.aviationweek.com

www.defensenews.com
www.defencetalk.com
www.breakingdefense.com

Those sites are free.

Ooo you're sooo close. Keep trying though. Remember, the teacher can always tell when someone else does your homework for you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You forgot to have it having a Putin action figure in one hand and a Russian-to-English dictionary in the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Putin action figure is buried up his ass. I couldn't draw that, it would violate CoC
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ooo you're sooo close. Keep trying though. Remember, the teacher can always tell when someone else does your homework for you.
View Quote

As the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." I think you will die of thirst.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
picket ships.

View Quote

Is it technically feasible to have drone ships & tenders? Just something large enough to mount a CIWS that could circle larger ships/fleets? Or do you actually need crew to keep the engines running minute-to-minute?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which part of the United States that is not represented in Congress should we be procuring systems from? Guam?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is it technically feasible to have drone ships & tenders? Just something large enough to mount a CIWS that could circle larger ships/fleets? Or do you actually need crew to keep the engines running minute-to-minute?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
picket ships.

I have no idea.
Maybe those blimp things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

picket ships.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

picket ships.

Good call!  Makes sense!  Yeah that is true but even so they are pretty important.  Thanks for answering my question.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top