Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2014 11:12:59 PM EDT
Used to have a Husky farm boss.....SOB dumped oil out of the reservoir ...would totally empty itself from a full tank onto the garage floor in an hour.  Bough a Stihl 026, did the same thing only it took about 2 days to drain.  Just bought an Echo...WTF...same thing!!  Does EVERY _)&%_)*U!!@!! chainsaw just drain the oil out when not in use?    and might I mention...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You gotta put the cab back on
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It might be you OP.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm interesting haven't heard that one before. Could it be that the bar oil adjuster was somehow cranked all the way open on all three?
Where is the oil actually escaping from, faulty reservoirs?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Strange coincidence.

Might it be something you are doing?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
All mine leak bar oil  including the one with the manual oiler.
I've been laying them on their side with the oiler up.
They still leak but not as much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
a lot of saws build up pressure in the bar oil tank .. when done for the day craxk the fill cap and refill 3/4 full should take care of it
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Burp the Oil tank, when you get done using the saw.
Simply open the cap and let the thing equalize.

Most times, it's a plugged tank vent causing the problems.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Atmospheric pressure change?  Both of my cheapo saws bleed to death in storage.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm interesting haven't heard that one before. Could it be that the bar oil adjuster was somehow cranked all the way open on all three?
View Quote

I fill the tank, set the saw down, the next day there is a puddle of oil under the saw...EVERY saw I've had, although the husky was the worst by far.  It's not leaking from the cap, seems to be coming from the oiler system by the blade
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Used to have a Husky farm boss.....SOB dumped oil out of the reservoir ...would totally empty itself from a full tank onto the garage floor in an hour.  Bough a Stihl 026, did the same thing only it took about 2 days to drain.  Just bought an Echo...WTF...same thing!!  Does EVERY _)&%_)*U!!@!! chainsaw just drain the oil out when not in use?    and might I mention...
View Quote

Umm..If it leaks when you are not using it,  why are you storing it full?

I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#11]
It's normal to leak a little. But, nothing like OP is describing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
I keep mine on its side or it will seep oil.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a few questions
1. Are you using ECHO , STIHL or HUSKY bar and chain oil ? ( if your using cheap oil it's thinner and will seep out )
It's hard to believe quality saws are leaking like a sieve .
2. Are these new saws when yo bought them ?
3. How much oil leaks out , it's normal for saws to leak a little bar oil , most chain oiler systems are a worm gear type pump hooked up to the clutch side of the crank - so when you increase RPMs the flow of oil increases- because these are clutch driven they only oil when engine RPMs are high enough to engage the centrifugal clutch

4. Some saws have a crankshaft driven oil that pump oil the entire time the saw is running

- however there is not am off valve in any modern chainsaw - it's normal to leak about a cup ( 8oz of oil )

I
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
My Echo has an adjustable automatic oiler, I'd guess yours does too.  Adjust it as detailed in the manual.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Both of mine leak as long as there is oil in the tank.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
a lot of saws build up pressure in the bar oil tank .. when done for the day craxk the fill cap and refill 3/4 full should take care of it
View Quote

have not tried this...but how much pressure would be built up...enough to empty the whole tank?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#17]
They all drip after use, but if the saw is puking oil then the oil tank vent is clogged.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#18]

I fill the tank, set the saw down, the next day there is a puddle of oil under the saw...EVERY saw I've had, although the husky was the worst by far.  It's not leaking from the cap, seems to be coming from the oiler system by the blade
View Quote

"blade"

You are using bar oil, right?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Rather than trying to manage the fill level in the tank, I decided to just place a cheapo frisbee under the saw powerhead while in storage.  Sometimes it leaks a little oil, usually not.

Frisbee is there to catch it if it does.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"blade"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"blade"

good question

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most have a simple screw adjustment, check out your manual. Could be as simple as tightening that. Beyond that....that area typically takes quite a bit of diassembly to get at the oiler system, but the oilernitself is pretty simple. (I'm just spitballing here, I've seen tanks drain in a couple days like that, but never over night.)

A simple way to test it would be to hold the saw over a cleanish area, bar down a few inches from the ground. Give it full rev for a good 10 seconds. Afterward, check the ground. You should have a finely misted line of bar oil. If you have gobs of it on the ground, and its dripping out the bottom of your saw, you need to close the oiler quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a few questions
1. Are you using ECHO , STIHL or HUSKY bar and chain oil ? ( if your using cheap oil it's thinner and will seep out )
It's hard to believe quality saws are leaking like a sieve .
2. Are these new saws when yo bought them ?
3. How much oil leaks out , it's normal for saws to leak a little bar oil , most chain oiler systems are a worm gear type pump hooked up to the clutch side of the crank - so when you increase RPMs the flow of oil increases- because these are clutch driven they only oil when engine RPMs are high enough to engage the centrifugal clutch

4. Some saws have a crankshaft driven oil that pump oil the entire time the saw is running

- however there is not am off valve in any modern chainsaw - it's normal to leak about a cup ( 8oz of oil )

I
View Quote

1- Have tried different oils...no difference
2- yes
3- the husky would drain the whole tank if it was filled, the stihl and echo seem to drain about 1/2 to 1 cup over 48 hours.

I just can't believe that this is "normal and acceptable"....holy crap, I actually stole some of the kids dogs puppy pads to keep the saws on
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Run them dry and it won't happen.  It's from a combination of being full to capacity and temp change.  Are you storing them in a heated area?  If so, that will make it MUCH worse, but even normal heating up during afternoons will do it.  

Perhaps you would do better at knitting.  Of course those knitting needles are sharp--which could create all new leakage problems.  

How about a nice game of Parcheesi?

ETA:  Please tell us you aren't using motor oil.  If so--Parcheesi.
View Quote

Also, EVERYTHING he said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#25]
bar oil is being used, not motor oil.

saw chain when running throws a fine, faint line of oil spray on a clean surface

maybe i just have crappy luck with chainsaws
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like the oiler could be turned up all the way, or could be broken.  There's a worm gear thing that can get stripped out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#27]
OP this is a pretty new saw right? I talked to the Saw boss from my crew and he said anything leaking that bad without an oiler problem is more then likely a defect in the oil pickup tube or a faulty installation of that part. Running in and building pressure in the oil tank would obviously exacerbate that leak. Wish I was close enough to crack it open with you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#28]
loosen the cap for a second before storing.  How old are these?  they start leaking as they get old, some of em
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Yo, dbrad197 What crew are you on?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#30]
1. Buy a Makita saw.

2. Be happy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yo, dbrad197 What crew are you on?
View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You gotta put the cab back on
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#33]
There should be a breather valve on too of the tank(internal) you can check. Also the oilers go bad quite often. You can get new seals for them and replace them with pliers. You can also replace the mechanism which usually entails removing the clutch. Not at all difficult but time consuming.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There should be a breather valve on too of the tank(internal) you can check. Also the oilers go bad quite often. You can get new seals for them and replace them with pliers. You can also replace the mechanism which usually entails removing the clutch. Not at all difficult but time consuming.
View Quote

would this be a warranty issue...echo came with a 5 yr warranty...it's only a year old, and has leaked since day 1
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Farm boss is stihl not husky
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:43:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You mean Rancher?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used to have a Husky farm boss....]

You mean Rancher?

Yeah...this^^
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:28:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah...this^^
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used to have a Husky farm boss....]

You mean Rancher?

Yeah...this^^

Definitely a warranty issue.
It's one of three things.

Obstructed tank vent.
Bad pumps seals.
Oil line isn't connected properly, or is cracked/busted(They get pinched during assembly if they are slightly too long).

You got the 5yr warranty, use it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Run them dry and it won't happen.  It's from a combination of being full to capacity and temp change.  Are you storing them in a heated area?  If so, that will make it MUCH worse, but even normal heating up during afternoons will do it.  

Perhaps you would do better at knitting.  Of course those knitting needles are sharp--which could create all new leakage problems.  

How about a nice game of Parcheesi?

ETA:  Please tell us you aren't using motor oil.  If so--Parcheesi.
View Quote

wow you're old enough to remember Parcheesi?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
bar oil is being used, not motor oil.

saw chain when running throws a fine, faint line of oil spray on a clean surface

maybe i just have crappy luck with chainsaws
View Quote

What's that funny noise?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

would this be a warranty issue...echo came with a 5 yr warranty...it's only a year old, and has leaked since day 1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case I'd call them. I hate leaky chainsaws.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah.....same here .

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Rather than trying to manage the fill level in the tank, I decided to just place a cheapo frisbee under the saw powerhead while in storage.  Sometimes it leaks a little oil, usually not.

Frisbee is there to catch it if it does.
View Quote
I use the lid from an old Rubbermaid storage tote.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Get a Stihl.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I keep mine on a tin cookie tray lined with paper towels.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#46]
My Echo leaked like this the first few years I had (I just set it on a garbage bag I could throw away ever once and a while) but then it stopped leaking all of a sudden. It worried my right after it happened as I thought maybe it had stopped oiling right, but it uses the same amount of chain oil it ever  did when it's running so who knows....
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Any of those saws British by chance ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#48]
From reading these replies it seems like most chainsaws leak chain oil. Maybe they're like old Harley's, they just like to mark their spot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Get a Stihl.
View Quote

My pro series leaks, but no where near what the OP's does. It wouldn't leak out I/2 the tank if it sat for months.
I just put a couple of those Blue cloth shop towels in the bottom of my case.
Takes care of the oil!
I'd rather run a little too much oil on my chain, than not enough.

Also there is more than I grade of chain oil.
Stihl makes an oil for summer, and one for winter. If you use the winter one in the summer, It's going to go out faster!
Use the proper oil!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#50]
My Sthil 034 started leaking like a sieve.
It has a little spring loaded valve in the oiler line to prevent leakage which had a peice of dirt holding it open.
Cleaned it and good as new.
So now I make sure to not get any dirt in the oiler system.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top