User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2014 4:28:22 PM EDT
Poll inbound.

Husqvarna 455AT rancher 20" bar 56cc, 13.2lbs
Stihl Ms 291 farm and ranch, 20" bar 55.5cc 12.1lbs

Looking between these two mainly.  Have never run a Husqvarna , and the idea of a computer auto tuning on something like a chainsaw gives me concern for longevity.

I have used stihl saws and they seem to work well.

I want this to be my last chainsaw purchase. Needs to last.
I use them pretty hard, heat the house with wood, cut a lot of oak.

Update;
bought the Husqvarna in part because of the 4 year warranty vs 2 year on the stihl.
I WAS originally leaning stihl because of a few small things like the choke on the husky being a flimsy looking plastic pull tab, and the fuel/oil fill caps
made to work with the scrench.  my FIL has a few jonsered like that and the plastic where the scrench fits is broken on all of them and they are a bitch to get out to fill.
HOWEVER, on the newest models of husky they have a stronger choke lever and a flipper on the fill caps so they are tool free.
that plus the warranty closed the deal for me.
so I ended up buying the Rancher 455 with autotune.
I have since cut about 5 cords of mostly red oak and I am pretty happy with it! the auto tune was a bit off at first while it collected data.
in the directions it says you need to initially run the saw at full RPM under load (cutting) for 3-5 minutes....damn saw cut too well to do that.
I tried slicing away at a big oak for a minute or two to " program it"....but apparently that wasn't good enough as occasionally when I would get down with a cut
the saw would die, very annoying.
then came across a large "Y" section of oak that I needed to slice up. cut about 2 feet through the middle of was is basically a huge knot and that seemed to do the trick.
has been running perfectly since then.  
I would also mention after all this cutting the air filter still looks like new, so the airflow precleaner deal seems to work quite well!
fuel economy seems to be good. cut all this plus two more trees in another area on one tank.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Whichever one has the most well established dealer and shop convenient to you.

Both are fine saws, having to get a part or a repair when getting to the dealer is a PITA sucks.

ETA: I have a Husqvarna I bought years ago. Great saw, when I've needed repair I've had to go 50 miles.  Stihl dealer is only 10 miles away.  When I replace it will be Stihl, for the convenience.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The auto tune is fucking awesome. It makes the saw cut like a much larger saw would.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Both are fine saws, having to get a part or a repair when getting to the dealer is a PITA sucks.
View Quote

Husky is available on Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That works fine if I need something in 2 to 5 days.  When I need it today, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get both?
View Quote

Where is the gofundme site?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Huskey, from my dirtbike days
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ETA: I have a Husqvarna I bought years ago. Great saw, when I've needed repair I've had to go 50 miles.  Stihl dealer is only 10 miles away.  When I replace it will be Stihl, for the convenience.
View Quote

This is the best answer. i'm a husqvarna dealer, and if a stihl dealership was more convenient to me, i'd do stihl. Whichever is easiest, and you have the best relationship with.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That works fine if I need something in 2 to 5 days.  When I need it today, not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A dealer 10 miles away is a good reason to buy a brand, but access to parts isn't the huge problem it once was.

Not sure about 2-5 days, but if next day isn't good enough, you probably have multiple saws anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I've said this in every saw thread and stand behind it....The 455Rancher is the best value going in chainsaws.  I've had a bunch and after 11 years of hard use, it is still the most reliable saw I've ever come across.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]
In that size range get a Stihl MS 262, buy once cry once, its their Pro model saw
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In that size range get a Stihl MS 262, buy once cry once, its their Pro model saw
View Quote

I always point this outnin threads. If your mechanically inclined and can do work on your saws, go Pro. Much easier to work on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Husky but the 555 pro model
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is the best answer. i'm a husqvarna dealer, and if a stihl dealership was more convenient to me, i'd do stihl. Whichever is easiest, and you have the best relationship with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dealers are equal distance away.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't really go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Both brands are top shelf and you can't go wrong with either. We went with Husqvarna because the dealer was closer and, as I said in another thread, Huskys are 95% of the saw that you'd get from a STIHL for 75-85% of the price.

My personal saw is a Husky 460 and it's a fine saw for doing the large amounts of firewood we do. My dad has a 555 and my brother has an older 51, a 359, and a 555. From what I've heard, the STIHL 290 is a great all-around saw, so I'd probably recommend it over the 455.

ETA: Excuse me while I whip this out....

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]

I like my Stihl
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 2 Husky's I voted Stihl . I have other saws as well .
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Have both.  Prefer Stihl.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]

If you're going to run em hard, Look for the Pro series saws.  If its husky get a used XP or Stihl go with a 261 or 262.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Stihl 362 here, I heat with wood so it plays nice with 6 or so cords per year from standing tamarack snags to logs bucked 17" for the stove.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#24]
A lot of forest firefighters use stihl, mainly because admin can't spell Husqvarna when ordering equipment...its a joke
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  My arborist friend with 40 years experience says the same thing.  He has a garage full of Stihl saws (and one little Echo), but says he likes Husqvarna equally except there isn't as good of a dealer presence in his area.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A lot of forest firefighters use stihl, mainly because admin can't spell Husqvarna when ordering equipment...its a joke
View Quote

<--------- I don't believe your story. We typically maintain and run our own chainsaw programs, with one senior guy who's sole duty outside of firefighting is living and breathing everything chainsaw. We chose Stihl on our, for many reason. I've seen some crews rock huskies, and they are fine saws also, but it has nothing to do with admin.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you're going to run em hard, Look for the Pro series saws.  If its husky get a used XP or Stihl go with a 261 or 262.

View Quote

Buy the professional series of saw--either brand-- and you'll have a good saw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Get both.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Huskie, albeit not that one. I love mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Husky.

/End thread.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the 395XP and I love it.  I can almost point to a tree and it falls over and cords its self out of fear.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Stihl
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Stihl Ms 291 farm and ranch, 20" bar 55.5cc 12.1lbs
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#34]
The first 372XP I had at work was a great saw.  It had a ton of hours on it and it finally blew up.  The newer one has never started very well and had to be rebuilt a lot sooner than the old one.  Not sure if I was unlucky, but the next saw I buy will be a Stihl.  I do not earn a living with a saw, but between the shop and the house, we burn about 30 cord a year.  I feel like the ethanol in pump gas is awful for saws now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lowest end pro stihl is another $150-200 and has a smaller engine
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Husqvarna of course

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The smaller engine will out perform the larger one in the mid grade saw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define outperform.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, but damn, I was thinking more like a $50-75 jump. That sucks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#41]
One made stuff for the NAZI's....
One has a picture of looking down the open sights of a gun barrel....

Hummmmm
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#42]
It will cut better. It's really hard to put into words, but if you've ever used a pro saw and a mid grade saw in the same day, you would understand.   I have a stihl ms311, my friend owns a tree company, and he has a ms261 with the same bar/chain setup.  While my saw cuts great, his cuts a little better. Weight is also a big deal. The pro saw should be lighter. Which goes a long way when you've been cutting all day

There are YouTube videos of damn near every saw, check some out just to get an idea of how they run
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#43]
A guy should always have a back up saw. Buy either brand and then get your current saw rehabed.  I had two and one was a Stihl and one was a Husky. They both worked but I used the Husky more because it was new and it just felt more balanced. ymmv
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Poll fail.

Dolmar/Makita.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It will cut better. It's really hard to put into words, but if you've ever used a pro saw and a mid grade saw in the same day, you would understand.   I have a stihl ms311, my friend owns a tree company, and he has a ms261 with the same bar/chain setup.  While my saw cuts great, his cuts a little better. Weight is also a big deal. The pro saw should be lighter. Which goes a long way when you've been cutting all day

There are YouTube videos of damn near every saw, check some out just to get an idea of how they run
View Quote

This... Op I was in the same shoes as you about 3 months ago.. Had my heart set on a farm boss... I spent a few hours digging around on the internet watching vids and reading reviews and ended up with the ms261c... I spent a bit more then I had planned but Im glad I did.... Do some home work, and read enough reviews to make a educated choice..
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Just bought a new MS251. I like it
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I was at the same choice a year ago (between the same 2 saws).

Go with the Stihl and get the chisel tooth chain.

Spring for the case and tools...don't be a cheap ass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#48]
All that said, get the Stihl.  White handle for life!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Husky

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I've got a husquvarna 350 I've had for over 10 years, I love the hell out of it. Runs like a raped ape. Starts every time.

That said I also have a Stihl pro hedge trimmer and line trimmer that's pretty good. I'd go with whoever is closer for service.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top