Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
We shall see. Updating now...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you setup 2 factor auth you have options to setup the IOS device directly and a mobile number. I did both just in case I forgot to change it when my phone gets replaced.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got into a bit of a weird hang because I have 2 step authentication.  It was trying to send a code to my phone but it never came so I skipped the step and then manually signed it after the initial setup and everything is GTG.
Have it setup for both phone and txt. Phone sus the same thing just hung went back and did it with TXT and it worked great.  

What do you mean phone and txt?
When you setup 2 factor auth you have options to setup the IOS device directly and a mobile number. I did both just in case I forgot to change it when my phone gets replaced.  

Roger.  I'll go back in and look for that in settings.  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
This is taking a lot longer than I expected. It stopped giving me a countdown timer, and now just says,  "Preparing Update...".

It's been an hour now...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Android is the answer you seek...
View Quote

I wonder how much I'd have to bribe GoatBoy to get a closed tech forum where we didn't have to see this kind of inane shit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got into a bit of a weird hang because I have 2 step authentication.  It was trying to send a code to my phone but it never came so I skipped the step and then manually signed it after the initial setup and everything is GTG.
View Quote

Same here. Both iPad Air and iPhone 5 are authorized devices, both were at the same stage. It had me worried for a second, then signed me in.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Downloading. 30 mins remaining
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The master race will refrain from commenting as requested.  
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Did it low down anyone's device? Paranoid after the last update...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh... It finished, but other than adding a couple of things I'll never use...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did it low down anyone's device? Paranoid after the last update...
View Quote

Nope. All devices working.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I wonder how much I'd have to bribe GoatBoy to get a closed tech forum where we didn't have to see this kind of inane shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Android is the answer you seek...

It's just as bad in an Android or Windows thread, if not worse.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Did I hear mention of an Apple TV update? What's different about it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Meh... It finished, but other than adding a couple of things I'll never use...
View Quote

I am looking forward to quick reply. Haven't had it since I last jailbroke my iphone 2 years ago

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did I hear mention of an Apple TV update? What's different about it?
View Quote

Doesn't look like a whole lot.

My AppleTV usage has really gone down now that I'm stuck with 1.7mb down DSL.  Harder to stream movies, etc.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/17/apple-tv-updated/
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's happening here, too (thought not that bad). It's kind of funny.

We use SolarWinds Orion to analyze NetFlow data on edge routers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Network bandwidth at the office has been 400% of normal for the last 25 minutes. I think we have a few people downloading it and the IPS alarms are going off now for abnormal activity.

Barf, we just had SolarWinds rammed down our throats by an exec.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Network bandwidth at the office has been 400% of normal for the last 25 minutes. I think we have a few people downloading it and the IPS alarms are going off now for abnormal activity.

I didn't say it was my decision.

(I don't like it much either).
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Completely pointless update so far.

Now doing the iPad.

I'm the Net Admin for a school district, so my work stuff is the first across the wire before we loose it on the rest of our Staff.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Completely pointless update so far.

Now doing the iPad.

I'm the Net Admin for a school district, so my work stuff is the first across the wire before we loose it on the rest of our Staff.
View Quote

35 85 minutes...

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Works great so far on my 5s.  No slow downs.  The quick reply, and recent contacts is very convenient.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Downloading. 30 mins remaining
View Quote

Mine said that too, an hour ago.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Works great so far on my 5s.  No slow downs.  The quick reply, and recent contacts is very convenient.
View Quote

That and looking forward to finally being able to leave group messages or at least silence them if I want to stay in them.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine is done.

So far, I'm digging it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dunno yet. I assume it is so ATV plays nice with everything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update in progress...I like living dangerously.  

iPad Air, iPhone 5, and Apple TV at the same time.

Apple TV update dropped too?  Any new features?  I didn't realize it was getting any update.

Dunno yet. I assume it is so ATV plays nice with everything else.

It'd be awesome if it installed an Amazon Prime Video app, hahaha.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It'd be awesome if it installed an Amazon Prime Video app, hahaha.
View Quote

Works fine through AirPlay. I can take or leave having the app on the device itself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Using io8 on my iPad Air right now. No noticeable slow down. Seems all good.  Going to wait on the phone until I recieve the 6.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#26]
My 5s and IPad Air seem faster, hasn't blown up yet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Time Lapse and 3 or 10 second delay on the camera now. Interdasting... Selfies oughta get a make-over on that one alone.

Tips app is so far useless. No new real info.

Health? No thanks. I'm not putting anything like that on an app that reports back to Apple. Call it paranoia...

Newsstand. Passbook. Podcasts...

Again, useless for my purposes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Turned off the predictive text, that pissed me off

Also, you essentially talk to someone via text why not call?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I just started the DL through itunes, says it will take 12 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like my desktop shortcuts are borked. The Arfcom bookmark is the only one looking as it should.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Preparing to update now.  

We shall see.  I do love the feeling I get by knowing that all of the android guys are sitting at home having to tell themselves that "my phone is better... Please let my phone be better"
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I updated my phone...sort of.

It fucking bricked my phone, and I'm trying recovery mode.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

What model?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#36]
See, I have good reason to be scared of doing it
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What model?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What model?

5S
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#39]
iPhone 5 updated fine.  Used an iTunes update -vs OTA.

iPad3 had problems with OTA, so I tried an iTunes update.  Bricked.  Had to do a DFU install on the iPad and all is well in the iOS world now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#40]
7 made my 4s wifi grey out.
The problem didn't go away until Apple Care gave me a phone with 6.

I have a 5s now and will wait a few weeks to update.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have enjoyed killing any iOS 8 device that is talking to our Exchange box...I sent 3 emails to the company on iOS 8 until we have tested it.  I already have a couple people saying "they did not get the email"

Read receipt checks are a bitch

Nice to be the IT NAZI (oh I mean King) .   To be fair we should have iOS 8 approved next week...I just don't trust updated iOS talking to our Exchange box right away.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Still waiting on my iPad.  Can any one tell me if Apple finally update contacts to let you create a new contact in iOS and actually assign it a category?

I'm guessing not, it's been inexcusable derp for years now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Still waiting on my iPad.  Can any one tell me if Apple finally update contacts to let you create a new contact in iOS and actually assign it a category?

View Quote

Doesn't appear so.  I gave up on Trying to sync google contacts to iCloud so I just cleaned up google and maintain contacts on iCloud or the Address Book app on OSX.

Seems silly that I can't create a contact on my iPhone and assign it to my "friends", "family", etc. lists.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Doesn't appear so.  I gave up on Trying to sync google contacts to iCloud so I just cleaned up google and maintain contacts on iCloud or the Address Book app on OSX.

Seems silly that I can't create a contact on my iPhone and assign it to my "friends", "family", etc. lists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bitch about it every chance I get - even on Apple message boards.  It remains a huge limitation and peeve of mine.

Don't get me wrong, Apple contacts is orders of magnitude better than google (and, in fact is what first led me to the iPhone after endless frustration with the latter).  Still, it's ridiculous to have such a limitation in your mobile device, when the ability to assign and display groups is such a dominant feature of the whole interface.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I bitch about it every chance I get - even on Apple message boards.  It remains a huge limitation and peeve of mine.

Don't get me wrong, Apple contacts is orders of magnitude better than google (and, in fact is what first led me to the iPhone after endless frustration with the latter). Still, it's ridiculous to have such a limitation in your mobile device, when the ability to assign and display groups is such a dominant feature of the whole interface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, Apple contacts is orders of magnitude better than google (and, in fact is what first led me to the iPhone after endless frustration with the latter). Still, it's ridiculous to have such a limitation in your mobile device, when the ability to assign and display groups is such a dominant feature of the whole interface.

As a user of both, I disagree; but I'd like to hear your take on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#47]
IOS 8 already has a ton of issues that make it incompatible with existing stuff..

Wait until the next "release" for the fixes
ETA:

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A year of constant frustration, inability to get it to track things, get custom labels right, sort things right, etc.  Nonstop frustration, endless hours of internet threads with smug Android types just telling me the most absurd things.  I started using the contacts on my iPod, and it was everything I hoped it could be - except the group category thing.  But, as log as I do all my data entry from the laptop I'm good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A year of constant frustration, inability to get it to track things, get custom labels right, sort things right, etc.  Nonstop frustration, endless hours of internet threads with smug Android types just telling me the most absurd things.  I started using the contacts on my iPod, and it was everything I hoped it could be - except the group category thing.  But, as log as I do all my data entry from the laptop I'm good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really liked Google contacts except for the fact that I had to setup a sync between it and my address book since google didn't have a stand alone app.  Plus, the "groups" you created on google won't show up on iOS.  That's why I switched to iCloud contacts so I can have groups sync perfectly across devices.  It's a bit of a pain since I use google for email and calender and IOS/OSX for reminders, notes, contacts, etc.  But given the fact that I use strictly Apple devices with google services I knew there would be some things that didn't work perfectly together.  Plus I had that google is trying so hard to push everything to their Google +.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"About 3 hours remaining"
View Quote

Took me about 30 minutes on my 5s. I said screw it. I backed up my iPhone just before updating and I'm waiting on a 6 Plus to arrive in a few weeks.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top