User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s767.photobucket.com/user/jayjaypunisher/media/custom1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx319/jayjaypunisher/custom1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Blue jeans (well worn) , worn Carhart jacket, denim shirt, work boots (well broken in) , well worn non descript ball cap, a large construction tool bag to carry my AR in.
View Quote
That's actually quite effective

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

...mostly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black...I only go out at night

...mostly

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OD green
View Quote

That's what I came to post
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty fucking good. Too bag can't find gear to go with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pencott. Look it up.

I had to look it up but it struck me as somewhat similar to what Italy uses

Which would all look the same as everything else when faded and dirty
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Best?...Can't say but I was amazed that that Austrian pinkish camo worked as well as it does in the woods.

I took a Austrian camo shelter-half/poncho and hung it in the woods and turned and walked away maybe 40 yards.

Were it not for the fact that I knew where it was I could not have found it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Penncott has some pretty effective patterns (green zone and badlands).  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Grey ghost gear started making some.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pencott. Look it up.

Grey ghost gear started making some.

It's available from overseas retailers.  I ordered some stuff from here.  

http://www.asmc.de/
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Best?...Can't say but I was amazed that that Austrian pinkish camo worked as well as it does in the woods.

I took a Austrian camo shelter-half/poncho and hung it in the woods and turned and walked away maybe 40 yards.

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos14/austrian-camo-shirt-b.jpg
View Quote
That looks effective

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#10]
There's a number of factors that go into the art of camo. The visual aspect is only a part of it.

The colours have to match the terrain.

The pattern has to break up the outline of people and gear, regardless of distance. Small patterns tend to look like a solid colour at a distance.

The camo has to work against NVDs as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That looks effective  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks effective  

I've always though European patterns were more effective than US made patterns....
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've always though European patterns were more effective than US made patterns....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks effective  

The stripes you often use are not that effective, at least that is what I've found. I think that is because most things in the woods are not striped. Nature is more "blobby". I don't know why, but they also seem to use too dark colors when making tiger stripes
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's a number of factors that go into the art of camo. The visual aspect is only a part of it.

The pattern has to break up the outline of people and gear, regardless of distance. Small patterns tend to look like a solid colour at a distance.

View Quote

I think you need to get me some Swede M90 to sample. Do they make you grow a proper Norse beard when you put it on?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think you need to get me some Swede M90 to sample. Do they make you grow a proper Norse beard when you put it on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it's well maintained, and one is able to get a seal with a gas mask, it's permissible to have a beard.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
The best one is the one you can't see.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in SD multicam/woodland is king, multi in fall winter, woodland in spring early summer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Blends in plenty good out doors. Don't look like a tactical d-bag in urban settings.

Camo is over rated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As long as it's well maintained, and one is able to get a seal with a gas mask, it's permissible to have a beard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also depends on who we are fighting, in Afghanistan there is little need of gas masks, but you will get a lot of respect for a big beard, so they let it grow quite long. We would go to war with the Russians we would most likely be told to shave it all off for a perfect seal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

She looks Spanish with that black mustache.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is what is commonly referred to as a dirty Sanchez I do believe
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you want? Mustache matches the carpet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Blurred Edge Reversible

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blue jeans (well worn) , worn Carhart jacket, denim shirt, work boots (well broken in) , well worn non descript ball cap, a large construction tool bag to carry my AR in.

except most game animals see blue very well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply! Most of Sweden's terrain is quite simulare, and the M90 naturally seem to adapt to spring, summer and even early fall very well. It sort dims itself down as the woods gets a darker green.

What is your take on urban camo, for me it seem quite dumb, at least if you aren't a unit that only operates in urban settings. The urban landscape have so many colours and with the flat surfaces you cannot really blend into stuff like in rural settings. I wonder, wouldn't it just be better to only go for rural camo and accept that you will never be as to camouflage yourself in urban areas? Am I wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a former sniper that was in on the experiment and testing, I believe the single pattern that works the best in most environments that is commonly available is multicam.  AOR and USMC desert worked better than multi in desert, but multicam worked better in green jungle, for example. The ACU actually worked ok in areas in Wyoming in the fall and winter because the existing vegetation and color of the rocks complimented it. Also, a frequent mistake people make in assessing camo requirements is looking at "high" vegetation. Unless you are a monkey, what's going on 7" or higher in a tree is irrelevant. The area a human needs to be concerned with is the ground level to 6' high(ish), and of that area, the ground to 3' high (ish) because when you are in a situation where concealment is MOST critical (hiding from direct observation from someone in your area). Think about it.

What would a former sniper say about the Swedish M90 (summer and desert)?

http://globerove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Swedish-M90-Camouflage.jpg

Same camo, lower light outside.
http://i.imgur.com/M1QtEji.jpg

https://38.media.tumblr.com/13685faeb352afbed662f30ee7717ab7/tumblr_n27vyptEre1s8ht07o1_500.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RUwfTVs.jpg

https://38.media.tumblr.com/77ea0f67648ff03d904cc2e9c167bcc2/tumblr_n1wvmztukH1s8ht07o1_500.jpg

In the examples you provided it appeared like it was effective, but understand that there are many more options on the planet as far as background and terrain, and that with each of those options the added complication of light conditions also factor in considerably. The process of evaluation by trained observers is actually more complicated than you may realize. My point was that of numerous current and experimental patterns evaluated after the ACU flop- by trained observers, who in many cases couldn't tell for sure what pattern we were looking at (in some cases we had never seen them due to the experimental nature) the MC worked the best, so the work has been done. That being said, there's nothing wrong with you or anyone else taking a given pattern and experimenting on your own in a given area and choosing accordingly. When snipers make a ghillie suit by hand and update it for a given AO, this is essentially what we are  doing.

Thanks for the reply! Most of Sweden's terrain is quite simulare, and the M90 naturally seem to adapt to spring, summer and even early fall very well. It sort dims itself down as the woods gets a darker green.

What is your take on urban camo, for me it seem quite dumb, at least if you aren't a unit that only operates in urban settings. The urban landscape have so many colours and with the flat surfaces you cannot really blend into stuff like in rural settings. I wonder, wouldn't it just be better to only go for rural camo and accept that you will never be as to camouflage yourself in urban areas? Am I wrong?

"Urban camo" is a total waste of time. Too many variations of colors on man-made objects. If you are trying to conceal yourself , clothing coloration will rarely do it in an urban area in what we would call a civilized country (a place where building materials and colors aren't from naturally occurring items, like mud buildings in Afg) . You would be better off selecting based upon whatever the existing vegetation and ground is doing at the given time and place. In this environment, things like shadows and the concept of simply hiding in a structure are what wins the day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who says I was talking about game animals? I was talking about bipedal predators. OP was not specific as to what he was attempting to camouflage for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Soon...

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Soon we have filled our forrests with enough shit that a green plastic bad is our best camo?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#28]
In my experience whatever you use is going to get fucked with the local dirt/mud/grass/whatever regardless. I just wear khaki or some other earthtone. I prefer carhartt and duluth stuff because its tough, and most military stuff I've tried doesn't hold up to well. I guess it does depend on what you are doing, hunting or fighting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Soon we have filled our forrests with enough shit that a green plastic bad is our best camo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/yx_1zcHvr1M

The problem with that stuff is that has to emit light in order to display the background image. That will cause it to more than likely stick out in a dark or low light environment. I'd take a set of ODs or woodland any day over that stuff.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#31]
There is no best.  It's how you adapt to your immediate situation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I designed the best camouflage in the history of the world.

But I lost it during testing.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OD green
View Quote

Pretty fucking badass ......

Solid OD Green in winter time with the ground snow covered.

You better be badass though, because you gonna be an easy target!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Flectarn in upstate NY
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Out here is the West, Realtree Max 1 works pretty good in just about every terrain. Its all I wear except for duck hunting.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Clown.  They'll be looking for army guys.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Holding still is the number #1 best camo every single time.  The most uber-tactical pattern in the world won't help you if you can't hold still when it counts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top