User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GUN HAS BEEN FOUND!

No conspiracy theory here it appears.  A gun shop I had called about the gun gave me a call today, said "I may be interested in a very specific firearm"...blablabla said let me step in the back..."call the police".

Another business owner helped hold the guy there until police arrived, he was trying to sell my gun for $500, wasn't painted or anything.    I hauled ass to the gun shop (30 miles away) and police were outside holding my gun and had the guy in cuffs.  Went to the station and he had already sold my other guns, but they thought they knew where.

On the shitty side, my city's police department had nothing to do with this.  They hadn't even reported the guns as stolen yet, and I called 911 when the shop owner told me to, and the operator told me they were sending my city, and that city's PD to the gun shop.  Neither arrived until the gun shop owner himself called in.
View Quote

Not sure how the conspiracy has been ruled out.  But, good on you contacting the local pawn shops.  The cops don't really give a shit, as you have learned.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm under the impression it was more than one person, as I can't imagine someone being ballsy enough to make multiple trips.  

The roommate and gf don't know when it happened.  Here's all I know (I'm talking to an investigator later, as soon as he calls, he's an hour late already) the GF got off work at 8, said she came home and went to bed.  Roommate got off work at 10, came home, made food, went to his room.  Watched TV until 1:30.  She comes out the next morning to watch TV and it's gone.  She wakes up roommate.  Can't find dog.  He goes into other roommates room, finds shower and sink on, and dog locked in closet.  Then she called me and said apparently there was a robbery.  Asked if my Mizzou gun was in the house.  I then asked them to check my room, they called back and said it was ransacked.  I was 6 hours away from home, and made it back ASAP.  

Police officer who was assigned the case worked Sunday, but got off before I was able to make it home.  He came back to work today, replied to my e-mail, and hasn't answered my calls, and secretary said he would be calling an hour ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem isn't the safe or the lack of security it's the implausibility of your story. It simply makes no sense that a burglar would enter a house with a dog and occupants with a TV blaring. As many here have said that simply doesn't fit the MO of how such a thief would operate. That's not a target of opportunity but a death wish or a ticket to the big house. It's not like someone came in and grabbed a handful of stuff, all that was taken would require multiple trips. How is the approach to the house? How close could they have parked without being noticed?

I'm under the impression it was more than one person, as I can't imagine someone being ballsy enough to make multiple trips.  

The roommate and gf don't know when it happened.  Here's all I know (I'm talking to an investigator later, as soon as he calls, he's an hour late already) the GF got off work at 8, said she came home and went to bed.  Roommate got off work at 10, came home, made food, went to his room.  Watched TV until 1:30.  She comes out the next morning to watch TV and it's gone.  She wakes up roommate.  Can't find dog.  He goes into other roommates room, finds shower and sink on, and dog locked in closet.  Then she called me and said apparently there was a robbery.  Asked if my Mizzou gun was in the house.  I then asked them to check my room, they called back and said it was ransacked.  I was 6 hours away from home, and made it back ASAP.  

Police officer who was assigned the case worked Sunday, but got off before I was able to make it home.  He came back to work today, replied to my e-mail, and hasn't answered my calls, and secretary said he would be calling an hour ago.

OP told the thieves were to look for the big $$$ item

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
GUN HAS BEEN FOUND!

No conspiracy theory here it appears.  A gun shop I had called about the gun gave me a call today, said "I may be interested in a very specific firearm"...blablabla said let me step in the back..."call the police".

Another business owner helped hold the guy there until police arrived, he was trying to sell my gun for $500, wasn't painted or anything.    I hauled ass to the gun shop (30 miles away) and police were outside holding my gun and had the guy in cuffs.  Went to the station and he had already sold my other guns, but they thought they knew where.

On the shitty side, my city's police department had nothing to do with this.  They hadn't even reported the guns as stolen yet, and I called 911 when the shop owner told me to, and the operator told me they were sending my city, and that city's PD to the gun shop.  Neither arrived until the gun shop owner himself called in.
View Quote

Was your roomate surprised when you pulled up after he was arrested?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
So OP, are your roomates or yourself moving out this weekend?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Details on the guy who was busted with your gun?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear OP.  

The local Sheriffs office along with the drug task force and the neighboring Sheriffs office  just busted a need drug money  burglary ring locally with over 200 firearms and other valuables.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm willing to bet that one or the other knows something about this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I should've had a safe.  House was locked and people were home.  They were quiet enough my roommate and his gf sleeping in their room had no clue until the next time they came out.

Id bet a whole paycheck. They either jad people over and one of them stole it or ypur roomate himself did it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Details on the guy who was busted with your gun?

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GUN HAS BEEN FOUND!

View Quote

IIRC stolen firearms have to be entered into NCIC within 24 hours, but it's been a while.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#11]
IIRC stolen firearms have to be entered into NCIC within 24 hours, but it's been a while.
View Quote

However, even with a stolen gun entered in the NCIC system, and with LEO departments receiving weekly lists of pawned items (including firearm serial numbers), there's no guarantee when the serial number will actually "hit" in the system.  Case in point, I bought a shotgun several years back from one of the local pawn shops.  They'd had the gun for a couple of months before it was sold to me, and I actually had it in my possession for three months before local detectives called looking for it.  Seems the shotgun (and serial number) had been reported stolen years before, but it took almost 6 months for it to register in the system.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, we need more info about the arrest pronto!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad to hear you got one back so far.  Sorry to her about your roommates, when they are arrested will you have to cover the whole rent?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All this harp on safes.  Safes keep things away from honest people.  Have you seen the internet vids on how they break into a safe?  I have a $2000 safe and for the same model they broke into it in under 2 minutes with a damn prybar.  I just think of it now as a convient way to loacate everything together for them to steal all at once.  Now if your talking about a high end safe like a Graffunder then its a different story/level of protection.
View Quote

Brown Safe.  Sounds like you are saying that no safe is better?  You must be a hater of spell check.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad it looks like you will be getting the expensive rifle back soon.
And hopefully some or the rest of the looted goods.
I certainly hope that you report back to us if the guy caught was the lone criminal or part of a treacherous conspiracy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
There is more to the story.  I hope op follows through.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All this harp on safes.  Safes keep things away from honest people.  Have you seen the internet vids on how they break into a safe?  I have a $2000 safe and for the same model they broke into it in under 2 minutes with a damn prybar.  I just think of it now as a convient way to loacate everything together for them to steal all at once.  Now if your talking about a high end safe like a Graffunder then its a different story/level of protection.
View Quote

You can find YouTube videos of people breaking into cars with tennis balls too.

I have friends who had their houses and businesses burglarized and you know what happened? People with safes still had their shit and people without lost their shit. You can get a decent safe for the price of a nice rifle and it will keep most smash and grab types or random break ins from taking your stuff. Even the small safes that are only a few cubic feet can be heavy enough and hard enough to open that thieves will leave them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump to find out what happened.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I should've had a safe.  House was locked and people were home.  They were quiet enough my roommate and his gf sleeping in their room had no clue until the next time they came out.

Yup.  Nobody at random snuck into an occupied house and steals a bunch of shit like that.

They either know who did it, or they did it.  Period.

And yeah, get a fucking safe.  Hell, even if you can't afford a proper safe, a simple metal cabinet bolted to the wall and floor will stop this sort of 'thief'.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here's the problem I've been having. $500 "safes" really are not. Plenty of videos out there showing how easy it is to break into on. Even $1k Liberty safes are guilty. To get a nice safe where you don't feel you just threw your money away you need to get a good AMSEC, convert a used TL safe or something of the like. That's why I don't have a big safe. I feel it is a waste of money that affords me almost no better protection until you get to the bigger commercial ($$) ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To all the non-safe-havers:

If you own one gun, say a Glock 19 (because you actually listen to people when you post your "If you could only have one gun..." threads...), then sure, I can understand that you don't have a safe.  We've all been there at some point - every one of us had only one gun once.  And we probably didn't have a safe.  At most, maybe we had a little quick-access gunvault or something - but the gun was still generally available, because we needed it for home defense.

For a lot of us with collections, the G19-in-a-drawer is still our HD gun, and it's still either unsecured or just "kiddie-proofed" depending on who we live with.

But the minute you buy a second gun...  As soon as you make the decision to spend another $500 or more on another weapon...  you need to think real hard about how to come up with another $500 to get a safe.

To have a third gun means you're not even trying.

Which... that's your perogative.  But it's also very foolish.

Here's the problem I've been having. $500 "safes" really are not. Plenty of videos out there showing how easy it is to break into on. Even $1k Liberty safes are guilty. To get a nice safe where you don't feel you just threw your money away you need to get a good AMSEC, convert a used TL safe or something of the like. That's why I don't have a big safe. I feel it is a waste of money that affords me almost no better protection until you get to the bigger commercial ($$) ones.

According to most cops, even crappy safes are rarely attacked in residential burgs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To all the non-safe-havers:

If you own one gun, say a Glock 19 (because you actually listen to people when you post your "If you could only have one gun..." threads...), then sure, I can understand that you don't have a safe.  We've all been there at some point - every one of us had only one gun once.  And we probably didn't have a safe.  At most, maybe we had a little quick-access gunvault or something - but the gun was still generally available, because we needed it for home defense.

For a lot of us with collections, the G19-in-a-drawer is still our HD gun, and it's still either unsecured or just "kiddie-proofed" depending on who we live with.

But the minute you buy a second gun...  As soon as you make the decision to spend another $500 or more on another weapon...  you need to think real hard about how to come up with another $500 to get a safe.

To have a third gun means you're not even trying.

Which... that's your perogative.  But it's also very foolish.

Rethink that.

1) Even a "cheap" safe will protect your stuff from a fire. Most RSC's use nothing more than gypsum board as fire protection. I take all their fire ratings with a grain of salt. Especially because most house fire temps will exceed what the safe was tested at. Documents, Disc's will be gone long before that. Door seals are another issue but I wont get into that

2) Opportunistic thieves don't bring tools to break into a safe, even a cheap one.  You need a prybar and a wedge, and a second person with a crowbar and a 10lb hammer helps a bunch, too.  Do thieves bring those tools with them when they roll a house?  Most don't.  Unless you have those tools available, and in close proximity to the safe, they're not breaking in easily. Im a bit paranoid I suppose. I always think Danny Ocean and his boys will want to break into my safe

3) Bolting the safe to the floor/wall prevents all but the most determined prying attempts.  And even then, they're spending their time literally breaking your walls and floor apart to get at the thing.  And if that floor is a concrete pad?  Shit, man, it's not happening inside 30 minutes.  And that's a cheap safe against the proper tools and a determined 2-man team. I live in a rental. The only really viable place to bolt a a safe down in is my garage, and with all the power tools that's a bad idea. Even so, with most RSC's made of thin steel (12ga?) most anchors would pull through the cheap steel. So you would have to do a multi sided approach to how you bolt it. Again, cant in my rental.  

4) Even if you buy a better safe later, your money is hardly wasted on the cheap safe.  Fill it with ammo, documents/files, photographs, electronic media, musical instruments... all sorts of uses for it to store stuff that you still want protected from fire. See above about fire ratings.

You can get enough safe for $500 to make it worth having.  True, $700 or $1000 gets you something even better, but hey, steel is expensive and you work with what you got.

A $500 safe plus $30 worth of bolts and concrete epoxy beats the absolute shit out of nothing. While I agree, I just feel throwing over $500 into a safe that affords minimal protection just isn't worth it. Im saving my money to buy an old jewlers safe and convert it. Just rolling the dice until then

I'd pay a few bucks to fix the wall in a rental after bolting it down rather than go without.  And a few washers will do wonders to make it a lot harder to just pull out from the wall.

A cheap metal gun cabinet will give you a significant percentage of the protection of a "real" safe.  Rolling the dice here is fucking stupid.  Sorry.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Still curious about the arrest.

Was it a ring? How many were involved? Did they get the rest of the loot? Does the thief know the OP?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#23]

So OP, where's the link to the guy's mugshot and arrest record?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I demand an update... OP better resurface!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#25]
In for mugshot and name and updates.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And relationship of said thief to roommates.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey OP did you check your roomies' Facebook friends for the perp?  

Relationship status: It's complicated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Fucking thieves.  I hope you recover the rifles and any other valuables that were lost.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not supposed to say anything else at this time.  I will report back when I can.

Quoted:

He will surely deliver.

Let's just wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He will surely deliver.

Let's just wait.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll keep an eye out for it around these parts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm not supposed to say anything else at this time.  I will report back when I can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He will surely deliver.

Let's just wait.

Yes, posting a link to the guy's public information would certainly compromise the investigation.

Again I say, what a load of horse shit.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He will surely deliver.

Let's just wait.

AKA the dude arrested is my roommate gf's friend.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

The plot thickens
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So OP, are your roomates or yourself moving out this weekend?
View Quote

Pretty sure the police already found his roommate his own place.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Or else what?  You gonna get locked up with the bad guys?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
You are the victim. Who told you that?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
op been found familiar yet?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#42]
My bet the thief was color blind
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My bet the thief was color blind
View Quote

He was color blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#44]
The police department said no more posting details.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well arrest records are public.  Name!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

After the initial investigation you have been found guilty of the crime of attention whoring. Nice story son, better luck next time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Yep, this is where I finalize my opinion of the OP's character.

Did they make you pinky swear OP?  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I honestly have no idea.  No "beef" with anyone or a reason to be suspicious.

They gained access on the other side of the house, via another roommate's window.  Stole some watches of his, laptop, and the tv from our living room.  Locked my dog in his closet and turned the shower and sink on, I guess so my dog couldn't hear?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did you have it stolen?

Sry, when I see people say "I had something bad...." it just reminds me of saying "I had my oil changed today" or the like... meaning I precipitated the event.

I honestly have no idea.  No "beef" with anyone or a reason to be suspicious.

They gained access on the other side of the house, via another roommate's window.  Stole some watches of his, laptop, and the tv from our living room.  Locked my dog in his closet and turned the shower and sink on, I guess so my dog couldn't hear?

Your dog let itself get locked in a closet by a stranger without making enough noise to wake your roomie OR his GF?

They are in on it.

ETA:  After reading the rest of the thread, L-O-L.  What a bunch of fucking fail all around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I hereby level the charge of high BS in the 1st degree against the OP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better tell mugshots
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top