BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, for the "ZOMG SAFE" guys, some of us, like myself, can't afford a real safe.

Some of us have gun cabinets, some of us keep a gun or two outside of lock and key for, you know, self defense.

And sometimes, just sometimes, a criminal either can get a locked storage box open because they're pimp, or they happen to know someone who has access.
View Quote

And a lot of times they can't because they are not equipped to do so.

I really feel for the OP as I have had this very same thing happen to me in the past.
Now days all my shit is locked down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Page three says the roomate dun it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I honestly have no idea.  No "beef" with anyone or a reason to be suspicious.

They gained access on the other side of the house, via another roommate's window.  Stole some watches of his, laptop, and the tv from our living room.  Locked my dog in his closet and turned the shower and sink on, I guess so my dog couldn't hear?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did you have it stolen?

Sry, when I see people say "I had something bad...." it just reminds me of saying "I had my oil changed today" or the like... meaning I precipitated the event.

I honestly have no idea.  No "beef" with anyone or a reason to be suspicious.

They gained access on the other side of the house, via another roommate's window.  Stole some watches of his, laptop, and the tv from our living room.  Locked my dog in his closet and turned the shower and sink on, I guess so my dog couldn't hear?

So multiple roommates with multiple friends.  You really need to be looking closer to home.  Not gonna rag on you for lack of security.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are you inviting me over?

I have some imitation crab meat I can bring with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, you could take it on my word that most of my long guns are stored in a locking stack-on.

Or, you could come find out.

Are you inviting me over?

I have some imitation crab meat I can bring with me.

<snort>
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a very recognizable gun.  Hopefully it turns up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#6]
TO CLARIFY:

I have 2 roommates.  One was home, in his room, either sleeping or watching tv in his room when they thieves were in the house.  The other roommate was gone, and his room is on the other side of the house. This is where thieves entered.  Some of his stuff was stolen, but he did not have nearly as many things of value.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, for the "ZOMG SAFE" guys, some of us, like myself, can't afford a real safe.

Some of us have gun cabinets, some of us keep a gun or two outside of lock and key for, you know, self defense.

And sometimes, just sometimes, a criminal either can get a locked storage box open because they're pimp, or they happen to know someone who has access.
View Quote

But far, far too often, peeople with $10,000+ invested in guns, won't drop a grand on a safe.  Then you have the "this is an affront to my RIGHTS!" crowd who gets all indignant when people suggest they lock their shit up.

These kind of thefts happen all too often - some of us can't scream loud enough about the need to LOCK YOUR SHIT UP!

I have been the victim of a burglary.  My safe was not penetrated, but they did make a half-assed attempt.

Even if he DID have a safe, answers about what kind of safe, and how it was penetrated, are still useful information that might teach the rest of us a thing or two.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
TO CLARIFY:

I have 2 roommates.  One was home, in his room, either sleeping or watching tv in his room when they thieves were in the house.  The other roommate was gone, and his room is on the other side of the house. This is where thieves entered.  Some of his stuff was stolen, but he did not have nearly as many things of value.
View Quote

So roommate #2 entered through his own window and stole all your shit, got it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
TO CLARIFY:

View Quote

Yeah, I'm currently living in an apartment, and have done so in the past.  There is no way in this world that I wouldn't notice people moving about the house, door open or closed, asleep or not, when I'm the only one that is supposed to be there.  Room mate or RMGF have a habit they want to support, and you and the other guy provided the money.

Honestly, though, I'm sure the police have the suspect angle locked down fairly well.  Time for you and others to keep eyes open at pawn shops and the next few gun show parking lots.  Might post serial # in the aforementioned MOHTF "stolen guns" list.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

If you want your guns and valuables back, start beating your roommate and his gf until they tell you where they are or who they sold them to.

Seriously.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I should've had a safe.  House was locked and people were home.  They were quiet enough my roommate and his gf sleeping in their room had no clue until the next time they came out.

You're kidding, right?

If you want your guns and valuables back, start beating your roommate and his gf until they tell you where they are or who they sold them to.

Seriously.  

This.  Red is positive,  Black is negative.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Rethink that.

1) Even a "cheap" safe will protect your stuff from a fire. Most RSC's use nothing more than gypsum board as fire protection. I take all their fire ratings with a grain of salt. Especially because most house fire temps will exceed what the safe was tested at. Documents, Disc's will be gone long before that. Door seals are another issue but I wont get into that
2) Opportunistic thieves don't bring tools to break into a safe, even a cheap one.  You need a prybar and a wedge, and a second person with a crowbar and a 10lb hammer helps a bunch, too.  Do thieves bring those tools with them when they roll a house?  Most don't.  Unless you have those tools available, and in close proximity to the safe, they're not breaking in easily. Im a bit paranoid I suppose. I always think Danny Ocean and his boys will want to break into my safe
3) Bolting the safe to the floor/wall prevents all but the most determined prying attempts.  And even then, they're spending their time literally breaking your walls and floor apart to get at the thing.  And if that floor is a concrete pad?  Shit, man, it's not happening inside 30 minutes.  And that's a cheap safe against the proper tools and a determined 2-man team. I live in a rental. The only really viable place to bolt a a safe down in is my garage, and with all the power tools that's a bad idea. Even so, with most RSC's made of thin steel (12ga?) most anchors would pull through the cheap steel. So you would have to do a multi sided approach to how you bolt it. Again, cant in my rental.  
4) Even if you buy a better safe later, your money is hardly wasted on the cheap safe.  Fill it with ammo, documents/files, photographs, electronic media, musical instruments... all sorts of uses for it to store stuff that you still want protected from fire. See above about fire ratings.

You can get enough safe for $500 to make it worth having.  True, $700 or $1000 gets you something even better, but hey, steel is expensive and you work with what you got.

A $500 safe plus $30 worth of bolts and concrete epoxy beats the absolute shit out of nothing. While I agree, I just feel throwing over $500 into a safe that affords minimal protection just isn't worth it. Im saving my money to buy an old jewlers safe and convert it. Just rolling the dice until then
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To all the non-safe-havers:

If you own one gun, say a Glock 19 (because you actually listen to people when you post your "If you could only have one gun..." threads...), then sure, I can understand that you don't have a safe.  We've all been there at some point - every one of us had only one gun once.  And we probably didn't have a safe.  At most, maybe we had a little quick-access gunvault or something - but the gun was still generally available, because we needed it for home defense.

For a lot of us with collections, the G19-in-a-drawer is still our HD gun, and it's still either unsecured or just "kiddie-proofed" depending on who we live with.

But the minute you buy a second gun...  As soon as you make the decision to spend another $500 or more on another weapon...  you need to think real hard about how to come up with another $500 to get a safe.

To have a third gun means you're not even trying.

Which... that's your perogative.  But it's also very foolish.

Here's the problem I've been having. $500 "safes" really are not. Plenty of videos out there showing how easy it is to break into on. Even $1k Liberty safes are guilty. To get a nice safe where you don't feel you just threw your money away you need to get a good AMSEC, convert a used TL safe or something of the like. That's why I don't have a big safe. I feel it is a waste of money that affords me almost no better protection until you get to the bigger commercial ($$) ones.

Rethink that.

1) Even a "cheap" safe will protect your stuff from a fire. Most RSC's use nothing more than gypsum board as fire protection. I take all their fire ratings with a grain of salt. Especially because most house fire temps will exceed what the safe was tested at. Documents, Disc's will be gone long before that. Door seals are another issue but I wont get into that
2) Opportunistic thieves don't bring tools to break into a safe, even a cheap one.  You need a prybar and a wedge, and a second person with a crowbar and a 10lb hammer helps a bunch, too.  Do thieves bring those tools with them when they roll a house?  Most don't.  Unless you have those tools available, and in close proximity to the safe, they're not breaking in easily. Im a bit paranoid I suppose. I always think Danny Ocean and his boys will want to break into my safe
3) Bolting the safe to the floor/wall prevents all but the most determined prying attempts.  And even then, they're spending their time literally breaking your walls and floor apart to get at the thing.  And if that floor is a concrete pad?  Shit, man, it's not happening inside 30 minutes.  And that's a cheap safe against the proper tools and a determined 2-man team. I live in a rental. The only really viable place to bolt a a safe down in is my garage, and with all the power tools that's a bad idea. Even so, with most RSC's made of thin steel (12ga?) most anchors would pull through the cheap steel. So you would have to do a multi sided approach to how you bolt it. Again, cant in my rental.  
4) Even if you buy a better safe later, your money is hardly wasted on the cheap safe.  Fill it with ammo, documents/files, photographs, electronic media, musical instruments... all sorts of uses for it to store stuff that you still want protected from fire. See above about fire ratings.

You can get enough safe for $500 to make it worth having.  True, $700 or $1000 gets you something even better, but hey, steel is expensive and you work with what you got.

A $500 safe plus $30 worth of bolts and concrete epoxy beats the absolute shit out of nothing. While I agree, I just feel throwing over $500 into a safe that affords minimal protection just isn't worth it. Im saving my money to buy an old jewlers safe and convert it. Just rolling the dice until then
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#14]
That's horrible.

I have a disguised room in my house and the safe is in there.

I agree with looking at your friends.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Betcha roomate and GF still have all their valuable shit.  Miraculously, it would seem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I should've had a safe.  House was locked and people were home.  They were quiet enough my roommate and his gf sleeping in their room had no clue until the next time they came out.

You're kidding, right?

Seriously.  

Betcha roomate and GF still have all their valuable shit.  Miraculously, it would seem.

Like the miracle of how the thief somehow knew not to go into their bedroom.  Some thieves are just lucky, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
TO CLARIFY:

View Quote

read what you wrote until it becomes clear, what happened, who is involved.

where was "gone" roomie?

there had to be noise made.
which was at home roomie doing, sleeping or watching tv?

whoever took your things was very comfortable in their surroundings.

how many cars in the driveway?
they are confident enough to enter and steal from two people not home and know which room not to disturb, convenient
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Here's the problem I've been having. $500 "safes" really are not. Plenty of videos out there showing how easy it is to break into on. Even $1k Liberty safes are guilty. To get a nice safe where you don't feel you just threw your money away you need to get a good AMSEC, convert a used TL safe or something of the like. That's why I don't have a big safe. I feel it is a waste of money that affords me almost no better protection until you get to the bigger commercial ($$) ones.
View Quote

A "safe", whether it's $500 or $50,000, is only one layer of security.  My Brother and I scrimped and saved for several years and bought a $3000 safe.  But it's only there to slow them down while the alarm company summons the cops. Same with the fire proofing, it's just there to protect the contents until the fire department puts out the fire.  

And a SimplySafe alarm system is $300, takes an afternoon to install and requires no drilling.

I live in a 1200 sqft hovel and I don't make a ton of money, yet I have a safe, security system and barking dogs.  If I can do it, anyone can.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've lived with the guy all through college, he's one of my best friends.  He may have accidentally said something to someone, but I really don't see him or her being involved.  That being said he can sleep through about anything, and may very well have had his tv on extremely loud during this.  I'm just not sure how I would go about finding if he is guilty, even though I doubt it.

I found a HUGE thumbprint on my computer monitor and had the police get it.  They told me don't expect to hear back in under a year...
View Quote

Although it is more than possible it was someone you knew but then again as one living in Houston Texas that averages around 1800 home burglaries a month maybe you don't even know them and your home was the victim of the crime lottery.
Facking thieves...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wat?!?!?!?!?

I think it's a safe bet that they were in on it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But far, far too often, peeople with $10,000+ invested in guns, won't drop a grand on a safe.  The you have the "this is an affront to my RIGHTS!" growd who gets all indignant when people suggest they lock their shit up.

These kind of thefts happen all too often - some of us can't scream lout enough about the need to LOCK YOUR SHIT UP!

I have been the victim of a burglary.  My safe was not penetrated, but they did make a half-assed attempt.

Even if he DID have a safe, answers about what kind of safe, and how it was penetrated, are still useful information that might teach the rest of us a thing or to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But far, far too often, peeople with $10,000+ invested in guns, won't drop a grand on a safe.  The you have the "this is an affront to my RIGHTS!" growd who gets all indignant when people suggest they lock their shit up.

These kind of thefts happen all too often - some of us can't scream lout enough about the need to LOCK YOUR SHIT UP!

Even if he DID have a safe, answers about what kind of safe, and how it was penetrated, are still useful information that might teach the rest of us a thing or to.

Exactly. The people I have been able to convince to buy a proper one never bothered until they realized what else they can put in there. Mine is not only firearms, but watches, birth certs, passports, credit cards, jewelry, cash, my unused checks, a notebook with phone numbers, computer passwords, etc. People get wrapped up about the guns part and always seem to overlook the other important stuff that can go into it. If my house burns down my safe along with my homeowners insurance put me in as good as a position as possible.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TO CLARIFY:

View Quote

TO CLARIFY:

Regardless, you aren't thinking rationally.

Put yourself in the mind of a burglar.

How do you select your target?  How do you decide how much time you have?  How do you determine how best to enter?

How do you even think to risk such an event knowing someone is home, and when doing so, how do you know what part of the house to "avoid" so as not to wake up the "deep sleeper?"

Burglars don't break into houses they know are occupied and steal that much stuff.  It just doesn't happen.  That's Hollywood shit.  And if they don't know its occupied, they don't manage to coincidentally break in far enough away and never stumble into the wrong room or take the wrong stuff.

Try to envision a single scenario that makes ANY sort of sense and in which your roommate who was at home had nothing to do with this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A "safe", whether it's $500 or $50,000, is only one layer of security.  My Brother and I scrimped and saved for several years and bought a $3000 safe.  But it's only there to slow them down while the alarm company summons the cops. Same with the fire proofing, it's just there to protect the contents until the fire department puts out the fire.  

And a SimplySafe alarm system is $300, takes an afternoon to install and requires no drilling.

I live in a 1200 sqft hovel and I don't make a ton of money, yet I have a safe, security system and barking dogs.  If I can do it, anyone can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to layer security and I have gone into great detail on how I'd like to do it. But I seem to move in and out of places so quickly that it never seems viable to ever do it. Taking a risk, sure.

ETA: So that is why I want the best safe I can get for the right money. It is my first line of defense other than a locked door.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can get a $250 RSC off Amazon and nobody is gonna get that thing is a snatch and grab if you build it up right. 1.5x3.5 on all corners, plywood, bolted down and to a rear wall in a closet. Idea is to prevent tool access and prevent people from getting the container on its back or side.

Also Collectors Insurance is 80 bucks a year for about $12,000 in coverage and they don't require a safe and will cover your ammo and scopes too. Thievery is covered.

Guys, you can't just leave your guns setting out on a stand, uninsured and run off to work. Especially if you have a GAP that you might have 5 thousand bucks in.

ETA:

http://www.collectinsure.com/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it in a SAFE?

I second that.
Looks like you had some expensive guns and couldn't afford a safe.
I have a fort knox titan. Not the best but if you can get in, have at it.

Hope you get everything back and press charges to the max....
and buy a safe.

You can get a $250 RSC off Amazon and nobody is gonna get that thing is a snatch and grab if you build it up right. 1.5x3.5 on all corners, plywood, bolted down and to a rear wall in a closet. Idea is to prevent tool access and prevent people from getting the container on its back or side.

Also Collectors Insurance is 80 bucks a year for about $12,000 in coverage and they don't require a safe and will cover your ammo and scopes too. Thievery is covered.

Guys, you can't just leave your guns setting out on a stand, uninsured and run off to work. Especially if you have a GAP that you might have 5 thousand bucks in.

ETA:

Probably something obvious, but what's an "RSC"?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#25]
If you can afford an AR you can afford a safe!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Vanhalenpat?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#27]
That sucks OP.

Have you considered Ted Nugent as a suspect?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I could afford a GP rifle...............or a safe.  Guess which one I chose?

Security is layers.  If my alarm goes off, and someone has time to dick with my safe, my firearms instructor neighbor will gladly ventilate them.  Then the only concern would be purchasing beer, bourbon,  and brisket for the reward.

I have seen this plan in action a few times with strange cars in the driveway or from forgetting to close a gate.  Very observant.........

To kill the suspense, I bought a very nice safe, and a Remington 700. I thought that someday I would send the Rem off to GP for some treatment.  The gun is a fucking tackdriver and I haven't been able to shoot out the barrel.  

I also priced insurance.  This factored in to the quality of safe I bought, and the countermeasures.  Insurance is not cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could afford a GP rifle...............or a safe.  Guess which one I chose?

Security is layers.  If my alarm goes off, and someone has time to dick with my safe, my firearms instructor neighbor will gladly ventilate them.  Then the only concern would be purchasing beer, bourbon,  and brisket for the reward.

I have seen this plan in action a few times with strange cars in the driveway or from forgetting to close a gate.  Very observant.........

To kill the suspense, I bought a very nice safe, and a Remington 700. I thought that someday I would send the Rem off to GP for some treatment.  The gun is a fucking tackdriver and I haven't been able to shoot out the barrel.  

I also priced insurance.  This factored in to the quality of safe I bought, and the countermeasures.  Insurance is not cheap.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt he would do anything like that as he would know better and probably doesn't want to go to prison
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you own one gun, say a Glock 19 (because you actually listen to people when you post your "If you could only have one gun..." threads...), then sure, I can understand that you don't have a safe.  We've all been there at some point - every one of us had only one gun once.  And we probably didn't have a safe.  At most, maybe we had a little quick-access gunvault or something - but the gun was still generally available, because we needed it for home defense.

For a lot of us with collections, the G19-in-a-drawer is still our HD gun, and it's still either unsecured or just "kiddie-proofed" depending on who we live with.

But the minute you buy a second gun...  As soon as you make the decision to spend another $500 or more on another weapon...  you need to think real hard about how to come up with another $500 to get a safe.

View Quote

I have a gun on every floor of the house.  One in each car.  One I carry.  That's like half a dozen, none of which will ever be put in a safe.

I still need to buy a safe, though.  

Only way the wife will let me buy more guns!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it in a SAFE?

I second that.

and buy a safe.

ETA:

Residential Security Container
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Not in your area, but I will keep an eye out on gun sale sites.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rethink that.

I have lived in my current rental for over two years now, the longest I have lived anywhere since I was a teenager living in my parents' house.  You are making excuses.

I had a heavy steel strong box and locked it with a monster of a padlock.  Nowadays, they have fancier stuff on the market.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063263R8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0063263R8&linkCode=as2&tag=gsacom-20 (though mine held more)

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
TO CLARIFY:

View Quote

You need to ask your room mate who was at the house that day/night.

The stuff went out your other room mates window, but they came in through the front door.

It was not random, just an opportunity that presented itself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it in a SAFE?

I second that.

and buy a safe.

ETA:

Next time you are in a place that sells gun safes look inside the door jamb and if you see an U.L. sticker then the safe has been tested by UL and given that designation.
That means that model has been tested by certain tools against prying,drilling,etc and kept them out for at least 5 minutes.
That in no way MEANS that in 5 minutes and six seconds they are in it.
At least a safe with the UL sticker has a UL rated lock and lock protection and relockers that will fire that keeps the safe locked in the event of an attack.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just want to know how your dog got stuffed in a closet by strangers without making a peep?
View Quote

I forgot about the dog.  They broke into a house with someone home and with a dog, and just knew the dog wasn't a threat and wouldn't make noise to alert the other people at home.  Psychics, man.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I hate to tell you this op but, your fancy yellow bolt rifle is now some other color.  Probably just black spray paint.   Your roomies might not be in on it but, they probably know who ever did do it.  Probably someone that knows them well but you aren't good friends with them.  The theif has probably partied at your house many times. Knows everyone that lives there too.  Enough that he or she even, could pass off their being there with some made up excuse. Look for who ever is not around for some seemingly minor reason.   The forced window, just deception probably.  I would suspect somebody that knows that roomie best and has been in his room many times.  Like the gomer that he plays Nintendo/videogames/xwhatever, with.  
And sorry that you got the meatstick.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This little nugget that you have given us pretty much tells the tale.

Ask if they'd be willing to take a polygraph.   You know, to clear their name and all that stuff.

And please don't be so green that you think " friends won't steal from friends."  Or set your ass up.

gd
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Today is cloudy with 100% chance of room mate connection or involvement.

Sorry you were robbed, OP. Doubt that rifle will show up in Ohio, but I'll keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

Seriously.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

Seriously.  

I like your approach.

gd
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This.  More often than not, it's traced back to someone that knows someone you know.  People talk, and sooner or later one of the people they talk to is a fucking thief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to take a long hard look at your "friends" and your "friends" "friends".   Someone knew you were gone.

This.  More often than not, it's traced back to someone that knows someone you know.  People talk, and sooner or later one of the people they talk to is a fucking thief.

This couldn't be any truer! I had an amplifier and head stolen years ago from the place we were practicing at that was worth 2 grand.

I later found out the the drummer who was my "best friend" let his friend, that I also knew, in the room where our equipment was to "borrow" a symbol off his set. This guy had a coke habit, and a history of stealing for it and my friend let him in there anyway, and then waited a week to tell me about it. All after he went to the police station with me to fill out the report. He even talked to the guy before he told me about it, and knew right where he was staying

OP
There is a good chance someone you know did this or is involved.

I wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#42]
All the people telling you that your roommate is in on it are right. People don't break into occupied homes for theft.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
That'll be easy to spot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

QFT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You found your accomplices.....nobody is that quiet.    I feel bad for you OP....  

QFT

Life's hardest lesson. Anyone can turn on you. Many will.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Tell me how you'd get a security deposit back without spending it on bolting it down and then fixing everything when your lease ends or you find a different place.

Safes are great.  They really are.  And if good ones weren't $600 plus, most, if not all of us, would have one.

I'm amazed by the amount of "ZOMG SAFE" people exist on gun boards.  It's almost as if myself, and those who get guns stolen, are the only ones who aren't upper middle class, with no debt, awesome 6 figure jobs, and a supermodel stay at home wife, to boot.  It's almost like in the back of some peoples minds, that, if you own a gun, you should be totally financially secure.

My wife is a teacher, she started late, so a good chunk of her 39K goes to her 401K.  I'm a medically retired vet.  I don't make shit.  Even if I was in the workforce, the reality is that my "skill set" from the military doesn't translate well to the "real world".  I'm kinda like a college grad.  I have a shit ton of knowledge about stuff, but not enough experience to find a non-minimum wage job in the area.  Add to that an 18 month old son, and spending $600+ on something to keep my guns more secure than the closet my son can't open falls under "not justifiable" at this time.

Jesus, a board member lost a freaky looking gun to a fucking piece of shit.  Just keep an eye open and stop harping about safes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it in a SAFE?

I second that.

and buy a safe.

Tell me how you'd get a security deposit back without spending it on bolting it down and then fixing everything when your lease ends or you find a different place.

Safes are great.  They really are.  And if good ones weren't $600 plus, most, if not all of us, would have one.

I'm amazed by the amount of "ZOMG SAFE" people exist on gun boards.  It's almost as if myself, and those who get guns stolen, are the only ones who aren't upper middle class, with no debt, awesome 6 figure jobs, and a supermodel stay at home wife, to boot.  It's almost like in the back of some peoples minds, that, if you own a gun, you should be totally financially secure.

My wife is a teacher, she started late, so a good chunk of her 39K goes to her 401K.  I'm a medically retired vet.  I don't make shit.  Even if I was in the workforce, the reality is that my "skill set" from the military doesn't translate well to the "real world".  I'm kinda like a college grad.  I have a shit ton of knowledge about stuff, but not enough experience to find a non-minimum wage job in the area.  Add to that an 18 month old son, and spending $600+ on something to keep my guns more secure than the closet my son can't open falls under "not justifiable" at this time.

Jesus, a board member lost a freaky looking gun to a fucking piece of shit.  Just keep an eye open and stop harping about safes.

I agree with you 100%. I hope my post wasn't taken the wrong way, just trying to think of tips for the op

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm sure OP learned his lesson.  No sense kicking the guy while he's down.

Best of luck OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#48]
bet $10 roomate's girlfriend's pimp did it

get your own place - there's too many people going in and out of your pad for opsec
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Send the make / model / serial # of the stolen guns to your local FFL's and pawn shops, along with a reward offer.  You can find the list of them at http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/listing-FFLs.

Also keep an eye on all of the local/state FB firearm sales groups, Backpage, and Armslist.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have lived in my current rental for over two years now, the longest I have lived anywhere since I was a teenager living in my parents' house.  You are making excuses.

I had a heavy steel strong box and locked it with a monster of a padlock.  Nowadays, they have fancier stuff on the market.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063263R8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0063263R8&linkCode=as2&tag=gsacom-20 (though mine held more)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rethink that.

I do make a lot of excuses. Its overall though that I want to get my moneys worth and I'm over my weight for a military move so I'd have to pay an ass ton to move the damn thing
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top