Take two of the main characters that seem to be about the same age:

Finn
- educated in public empire/first order system
- resources of first order at his disposable
- doesn't understand bb-8 droid binary
- doesn't understand wookie
- can't pilot
- only knows how to shoot
- keeps telling people he's something he's not, or knows how to do something he can't do
- was a garbage man at some point
- laying in a bed all banged up

Rey
- early education in private school / Jedi academy (assumed)
- home schooled starting around 3
- no public assistance, if she didn't earn it she didn't get it
- speaks an alien language to someone trying to take BB-8
- understands droid binary
- understands wookie
- mechanic
- able to expertly pilot aircraft
- probably about to start advanced training for new career of Jedi

Looks like someone got a few too many social promotions
View Quote

You would think Arfcom would like the movie more wouldn't you? Remember the conservative protests with the prequels about the liberal subversion? You would think there would be praise for this movie but all you hear is that they let women and black guys in the movie
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't give me that EU mumbo jumbo.  He's a dark side force user, thus, a Sith.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm really hoping that Kylo is going to be balls to the wall bad ass in the next installment.

In the beginning of TFA, I thought he seemed like the best Sith character yet.  Stopping blaster bolts mid-flight, ordering a village slaughtered, etc, then he took off his helmet, and got all angsty and weepy.

That being said, he killed his own father, got his ass handed to him by a girl, and is, presumably, going to see Snoke for some more training.  I predict that the next time we see him, he'll be stronger, more in control, and vicious as fuck.  Should make for a good flick.

As an aside, I'm promoting the idea that Rey is Wedge Antilles kid.

Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He's a member of the group Knights of Ren, which are, basically, dark side fanboys.

m

Don't give me that EU mumbo jumbo.  He's a dark side force user, thus, a Sith.  

It's not EU, it's in the movies. Sidious was Sith, and he acted as one. He was all about passion and doing what he wanted, rejecting all external authority. Vader was, until almost the very end, a Dark Jedi, speaking of his duty, the inevitability of his fate, etc. Vader's redemption, oddly enough, came from finally letting go of Jedi philosophy and embracing that of the Sith. (He was supposed to bring balance to the force, remember?) He struck at the emperor in rage, out of love for his son, hatred for what he had become.

Dark Jedi are corrupt, cold, rationalizing, fatalistic. They still cling to a sense of order. Dark side Sith are wantonly destructive, proud, vindictive, and mercurial.

Ren is playing at being a Sith. He seems to go into his rages in an almost calculated fashion, as if it's what he thinks he SHOULD do. He also seems genuinely reverent of his master, and longs for his approval. He may get there, but he isn't there yet. He's faking it until he makes it would be my call.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

James Earl Jones, Carrier Fisher?

Women and minorities have always been present in the Star Wars movie, nothing new here.

You are trying to troll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did I see, a new Star Wars movie, or a remake and updated version of Star Wars IV A New Hope?

It worked in woman and minorities into the action.  Many of the elements were changed around, but they were pretty much all there.  

...is it just me?  Was this the same story?  

LOL at the women and minorities comment. Obviously not a fan of the original works or you don't remember them?

The story was somewhat of a rehash, I am a little personally disappointed that it wasn't new and interesting material BUT I thought it did a wonderful job with making it still feel fresh and new.

Perhaps I am forgetting something.   But in the original Star Wars movie, I don't remember a single black person, until they brought in Billy D Williams in the second movie.   I also don't remember any female pilots or Imperial soldiers like they had in this one.   ...am I wrong?

Women and minorities have always been present in the Star Wars movie, nothing new here.

You are trying to troll.

I'm not trying to "troll".  I'm sorry if my question upsets you.  

James Earl Jones was a "voice" actor for Darth Vader, who was a "white guy", and Fisher was a Princess.  But I don't remember any female "fighters" in the Republic or Imperial forces, and I don't remember "seeing" any minorities.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Physically it is likely quite apropos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everytime I see the word "Canon" in this thread, I think GIANT NERDS.

Physically it is likely quite apropos.

I don't know, since high school you generally only find neckbeards and men recounting the days they played JV "ball" in high school calling people nerds.

I think most successful adults have come to accept that people have different interests and something as massively as popular as Star Wars has more than a few fans.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
So the dark side turned Vader from whiny douchebag to badass.

Sadly, it doesn't appear to be working for Darth Whineous.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think I'd have to be a kid again to have that same level of magic.  ...I'm just an old muggle now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did I see, a new Star Wars movie, or a remake and updated version of Star Wars IV A New Hope?

It worked in woman and minorities into the action.  Many of the elements were changed around, but they were pretty much all there.  

Damn it, I wanted the old Star Wars magic.  That pretty much was the movie I wanted.  

I think I'd have to be a kid again to have that same level of magic.  ...I'm just an old muggle now.  

I was 14 when my father took me to see Star Wars.  Twice this week I have sat next to a 14 year old CarbineKid.    And I think he is sick of hearing about that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

James Earl Jones was a "voice" actor for Darth Vader, who was a "white guy", and Fisher was a Princess.  But I don't remember any female "fighters" in the Republic or Imperial forces, and I don't remember "seeing" any minorities.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL at the women and minorities comment. Obviously not a fan of the original works or you don't remember them?

The story was somewhat of a rehash, I am a little personally disappointed that it wasn't new and interesting material BUT I thought it did a wonderful job with making it still feel fresh and new.

You are trying to troll.

Off the top of my head, Empire had a few blacks and Asians

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fisher was without a doubt the most capable "fighter" amongst the group. Remember the prison breakout scene?

Well Vader did wear a mask but considering he was a somewhat important role in the movie I do not think his presence could be dismissed. The fact is that there were minorities in the originals and even in A New Hope.

It doesn't upset me but anytime someone throws out the race card, in either direction, without knowing what they are talking about I try to correct it. That's what the Dems do, be better than the Dems.

That's why I think you are trolling, you are smarter than that...usually.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So the dark side turned Vader from whiny douchebag to badass.

Sadly, it doesn't appear to be working for Darth Whineous.
View Quote
Ren is conflicted and constantly drawn to both the light and dark side.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chewbacca was the minority in Star Wars.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps I am forgetting something.   But in the original Star Wars movie, I don't remember a single black person, until they brought in Billy D Williams in the second movie.   I also don't remember any female pilots or Imperial soldiers like they had in this one.   ...am I wrong?

You are trying to troll.

You know what I didn't see in the new movie?  Affirmative action and political feminism.  What I saw were actors and actresses who totally earned their role, and knocked it out of the park.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Off the top of my head, Empire had a few blacks and Asians

View Quote

I'm not enough of a SW fanboy to have read any of the EU stuff, yet I still know that Mon Mothma was a female who was a founder and capo di tutti capi of the Rebels.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just remembered there was also Mace Windu (Samuel L Jackson).  I guess I had mentally blocked out Episodes I-III.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 5ish YO asked his dad if there really were "brown people" in space

I expect Finn to be the son of Lando, the only other "brown person" in space.

There was a "brown person" X-Wing pilot in RotJ during the attack on Death Star II, as far as I know his name was never mentioned, which is a good thing because it probably would have been Rando given George Lucas' lack of imagination when it comes to names, which would have solidified that the Calrissians are pretty much it.

There was also an "Asian-AmericanRebellion" A-Wing pilot in the same battle, he had pink goggles, his name was never mentioned either, which is also a good thing because (again, since Lucas sucks at coming up with names) it would probably have been Geo Ta-Kei. Pink googles, oh my!

I just remembered there was also Mace Windu (Samuel L Jackson).  I guess I had mentally blocked out Episodes I-III.  

How could you forget the EEOC hire of the Jedi council?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I expect - maybe just hope - that rumors about Billy Dee Williams being approached for a role in the next movie to start sometime in the next 6 months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not going to be Landos kid.  They basically said these kids were raised to be soldiers.  Suggesting a breeding program of sorts.  Lando wouldn't have handed his kid over to the new order.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I do hope we at least find out what happened to Lando anyway.

I expect - maybe just hope - that rumors about Billy Dee Williams being approached for a role in the next movie to start sometime in the next 6 months.

And he will be wearing Han Solo's clothes...
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure there were TiEs running overwatch that were still in the air. Besides, the transport has armor and shields and guns too.

Also, in respect to the TiEs, what the hell was up with the weird gunners position. And since when did TiEs have a gunners position?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the Command Shuttle leave the cantina before the X-Wings showed up?

Because they should have shot on the shit out of this if it was on the ground:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d7/KyloRenCommandShuttle-Fathead.png/revision/latest?cb=20150908050616

I'm pretty sure there were TiEs running overwatch that were still in the air. Besides, the transport has armor and shields and guns too.

Also, in respect to the TiEs, what the hell was up with the weird gunners position. And since when did TiEs have a gunners position?

And the fanboy critics/complainers who say "why do the still use the same TIE fighter, 30+ years after ROTJ", somehow missed that this is some new model
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Great movie!

I loved the way the movie handled the light saber. Because the movie wasn't pulling out the fuck Light Saber every 5 minutes like in the prequels, ANNNNNNNNNND the light saber fighting wasn't some of that super faggot, gymnastics, choreographed shit. And had REAL raw emotion in the action that went on.

There, I said that without giving any spoilers away.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And the fanboy critics/complainers who say "why do the still use the same TIE fighter, 30+ years after ROTJ", somehow missed that this is some new model
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the Command Shuttle leave the cantina before the X-Wings showed up?

Because they should have shot on the shit out of this if it was on the ground:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d7/KyloRenCommandShuttle-Fathead.png/revision/latest?cb=20150908050616

To address Rarest's original question?  It was there.  and so a the Millennium Falcon.  And I assume fuck al for all those folks in the bar.  And none of the ships were shown being hit on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fisher was without a doubt the most capable "fighter" amongst the group. Remember the prison breakout scene?

Well Vader did wear a mask but considering he was a somewhat important role in the movie I do not think his presence could be dismissed. The fact is that there were minorities in the originals and even in A New Hope.

It doesn't upset me but anytime someone throws out the race card, in either direction, without knowing what they are talking about I try to correct it. That's what the Dems do, be better than the Dems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Further, and this is not directed at Queevox, but anyone discussing race and Star Wars, but let's not forget that race is kind of a silly subject at all in Star Wars. The Spider-Face Guy, the Bith, the Ithorans, the Hutts.... I could go on but you get my drift... All those weird races show us that we humans are just not *that* different.

If anything Star Wars should unite us as humans. Not trying to get too touchy-feely or anything, just pointing out what I see.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You know what I didn't see in the new movie?  Affirmative action and political feminism.  What I saw were actors and actresses who totally earned their role, and knocked it out of the park.
View Quote

Good point. I didn't care that Rey was a girl. She was super cute at times, and acted her role well. Finn did well also and I couldn't care less if he's black or not. He did it all well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Further, and this is not directed at Queevox, but anyone discussing race and Star Wars, but let's not forget that race is kind of a silly subject at all in Star Wars. The Spider-Face Guy, the Bith, the Ithorans, the Hutts.... I could go on but you get my drift... All those weird races show us that we humans are just not *that* different.

If anything Star Wars should unite us as humans. Not trying to get too touchy-feely or anything, just pointing out what I see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good points.

Honestly I wasn't trying to be the voice of a new generation or anything, and I really wasn't trying to make a case for, or against diversity in motion pictures.  It was just an observation.  Maybe it has more to do with how much we as a society have changed since the 70's, ...or maybe not.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The F-15E is still an F-15...
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good point. I didn't care that Rey was a girl. She was super cute at times, and acted her role well. Finn did well also and I couldn't care less if he's black or not. He did it all well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I really liked Finn, Rey, and even Poe.  Good actors playing their roles well.

ETA:  in fact, the movie would have been stronger with less Old Man Solo and more of the new people.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

ETA:  in fact, the movie would have been stronger with less Old Man Solo and more of the new people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I think the contrast between the hyperactive Finn and Rey compared to the slower, more deliberate older cast made for an interesting juxtaposition

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I loved it... escaped a lot of the failings of the prequels.

No overdone comic relief, BB and Han provided just the right amount.

No special effects just because we can, like that dumb assed battle above Coruscant.  The detail in the space battles were awesome.... I have even accepted that the X Wing would have been updated after 30 years.

I can accept the role of the First Order, the rebelion/New Republic kept fighting the empire and its succespr states for a long time after Endor.

Han's son was a much better conflicted whiner than Anakin.

On Han I think he was well played, and the amount of screen time he got tied the original trilogy to the new stuff.   He had to die so Luke can get more time in the next one.

My only complain is... Chewie and Han have been friends for how long and that was the First time Han ever tried out the bowcaster?  Come on, a board full of gun nuts and no-one thinks that is strange?

View Quote

I thought the same thing when I saw that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was imaging that the bowcaster used in this movie was a different model than in the other movies simply because it appeared to be far more powerful. Like Chewie got in his order finally from Larue and Han hadn't had any trigger time yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No special effects just because we can, like that dumb assed battle above Coruscant.  The detail in the space battles were awesome.... I have even accepted that the X Wing would have been updated after 30 years.

I can accept the role of the First Order, the rebelion/New Republic kept fighting the empire and its succespr states for a long time after Endor.

On Han I think he was well played, and the amount of screen time he got tied the original trilogy to the new stuff.   He had to die so Luke can get more time in the next one.

My only complain is... Chewie and Han have been friends for how long and that was the First time Han ever tried out the bowcaster?  Come on, a board full of gun nuts and no-one thinks that is strange?

I was imaging that the bowcaster used in this movie was a different model than in the other movies simply because it appeared to be far more powerful. Like Chewie got in his order finally from Larue and Han hadn't had any trigger time yet.

Anyone explain why a bowcaster when the string isn't even used?  It shoots freaken "laser beams".
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think the contrast between the hyperactive Finn and Rey compared to the slower, more deliberate older cast made for an interesting juxtaposition

View Quote

Fair point.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Anyone explain why a bowcaster when the string isn't even used?  It shoots freaken "laser beams".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wookies are a very traditional race who still lived in their traditional homes. The bowcasters were individually crafted weapons that resembled their traditional hunting weapons. The shot metal darts that were magnetically accelerated and energized.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I agree in principle, but once The Skywalker Lightsaber "called out to her" it makes less sense if she's not related.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeez, why does Rey have to have some familial tie to another character?

Isn't it far better if she's just na ordinary being who finds herself in extraordinary circumstances and is awakened to the Force, which helps her save the galaxy/republic/good guys?

It's the hero's journey. Someone we identify with who answers the call to adventure, overcomes impossible odds through internal/external struggle, and wins the day. That's what makes a hero. Not paternity or genetics.

Rey, Finn, Ren, etc. need zero additional backstory. Let's focus in VIII and IX on what happens next.

I agree in principle, but once The Skywalker Lightsaber "called out to her" it makes less sense if she's not related.
Think Sword in the Stone.  Jedi's were forbidden from having families, right?  There doesn't need to be a lineage, just a "Calling"

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Wookies are a very traditional race who still lived in their traditional homes. The bowcasters were individually crafted weapons that resembled their traditional hunting weapons. The shot metal darts that were magnetically accelerated and energized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some fan fiction I read described it as a rail gun, while it does look traditional, all parts are functioning and in the right spot.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Think Sword in the Stone.  Jedi's were forbidden from having families, right?  There doesn't need to be a lineage, just a "Calling"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't it far better if she's just na ordinary being who finds herself in extraordinary circumstances and is awakened to the Force, which helps her save the galaxy/republic/good guys?

It's the hero's journey. Someone we identify with who answers the call to adventure, overcomes impossible odds through internal/external struggle, and wins the day. That's what makes a hero. Not paternity or genetics.

Rey, Finn, Ren, etc. need zero additional backstory. Let's focus in VIII and IX on what happens next.

Yeah sure but jedi were once born into a family before being separated. The Lightsaber calling out to her can only put her as family to someone in the tree. Especially if she is becoming as powerful as she is so quickly. Got to be Skywalker blood.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yeah sure but jedi were once born into a family before being separated. The Lightsaber calling out to her can only put her as family to someone in the tree. Especially if she is becoming as powerful as she is so quickly. Got to be Skywalker blood.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Ben Kenobi was hiding out as a hermit on Tatooine to avoid child support!

I agree though. Anyone with great Force powers at this point in the timeline is directly related to a main character.

She might have been left there and once the time is right, reemerge like many with Force abilities, such as Luke.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way Snoke is Palpatine.

It would be a bad fucking joke.

He could be Palpatine's master, Darth Plagueis who was known to be able to cheat death.

The thing that makes me think he is not Plagueis is the absence of the title Darth in the movie which would be something Plagueis would have brought back.

OK, I have read this thread and you all keep mentioning Darth Plagueis.  Who was he?  Was he in these EU books I never read?

https://youtu.be/05dT34hGRdg

Plagueis would be interesting but that wouldn't explain where he was for 60 years if he was only partially dead. Unless he found ole Humperdinck's medicine man in the woods...

Same for any "sith". He has got to be a new bad guy. Can't rehash the same shit over and over and over...

I totally get the Episode IV remake angle as well.

I think a lot of us are just taken in with how much they put a reality into it. Storm troopers actually hit stuff, their was blood! For the first time in 6 movies, blood. Stuff actually got damaged. But every plot in IV was present.

Nothing will "break" the Star Wars franchise but the next movie will certainly tell us if they are simply remaking episodes 4-6 with modern technology or not...
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I agree though. Anyone with great Force powers at this point in the timeline is directly related to a main character.
She might have been left there and once the time is right, reemerge like many with Force abilities, such as Luke.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So who was in Lukes "jedi academy "?  Who was Obi Wan or Qui Gon Jin's parents? All the other Jedi throughout the galaxy?    Jedi are Jedi, family tree was only with Skywalker prominence?   If family is so important to the force, why no mention of Yoda's family?

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have a feeling she's going be to Ren's twin and the Skywalker blood will be through Leia

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Plagueis would be interesting but that wouldn't explain where he was for 60 years if he was only partially dead. Unless he found ole Humperdinck's medicine man in the woods...

Same for any "sith". He has got to be a new bad guy. Can't rehash the same shit over and over and over...

I think a lot of us are just taken in with how much they put a reality into it. Storm troopers actually hit stuff, their was blood! For the first time in 6 movies, blood. Stuff actually got damaged. But every plot in IV was present.

Nothing will "break" the Star Wars franchise but the next movie will certainly tell us if they are simply remaking episodes 4-6 with modern technology or not...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way Snoke is Palpatine.

It would be a bad fucking joke.

He could be Palpatine's master, Darth Plagueis who was known to be able to cheat death.

The thing that makes me think he is not Plagueis is the absence of the title Darth in the movie which would be something Plagueis would have brought back.

OK, I have read this thread and you all keep mentioning Darth Plagueis.  Who was he?  Was he in these EU books I never read?

https://youtu.be/05dT34hGRdg

They showed blood in the first "original" movie when the alien was messing with Luke about to shoot him in the bar.  Ben cut his arm off and there was blood next to it on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#38]
IIRC, there was also blood during the Wampa scene in Empire.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a few questions and if they have already been asked and answered, Sorry.

1) Han and Leia have Ben Solo; What about their other son Anakin Solo?

2) I thought it was really hard for non Jedi to use a lightsaber, but Fin does so with ease. What Gives?

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:59:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

We talking alien blood or human blood. If it isn't red blood then it don't have the same effect IMO.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

2) I thought it was really hard for non Jedi to use a lightsaber, but Fin does so with ease. What Gives?

View Quote

Anakin was not mentioned and presumed to not exist in this storyline. They did not say that Ben was their only child though so there could be more revealed in VIII.

A lightsaber is like any other sword like weapon, anyone can use them. The thing though is that most choose a blaster because why bring a knife to a gunfight? It is very hard to get the full value of the saber unless you are a force user.

They are however exceedingly rare and must be hand crafted so that pretty much limits them to the few people who are willing to go through the time and effort of building one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Anakin was not mentioned and presumed to not exist in this storyline. They did not say that Ben was their only child though so there could be more revealed in VIII.

A lightsaber is like any other sword like weapon, anyone can use them. The thing though is that most choose a blaster because why bring a knife to a gunfight? It is very hard to get the full value of the saber unless you are a force user.

They are however exceedingly rare and must be hand crafted so that pretty much limits them to the few people who are willing to go through the time and effort of building one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well not exactly. The Lightsaber isn't just a pointy laser that stops so many feet out. It technically operates more like a chainsaw. Wielding a Lightsaber is like wielding a chainsaw, the forces on it are not like that of a regular steel sword. So no, non force users wouldn't really be able to use it with any ease and would probably cut off their own limbs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Saw it a second time. Definitely more agreeable then for a plethora of reasons.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
LOL.

Actually the books generally did not conflict with only some very rare occasions and were generally written by some pretty good SciFi authors who simply had some cool ideas.

No one has asked anyone to read books but for some of us who enjoy reading and are Star Wars fans it gave a deeper insight into a world that we were fond of.

If you are a super fan andiIf you do not like, or have trouble with reading, I would recommend the audiobooks which can be easily listened to while you are driving. truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everytime I see the word "Canon" in this thread, I think GIANT NERDS.

Seriously.  WGAF about the EU, and besides, the EU was created by a bunch of independent nerds who probably conflicted each others' stories, and besides, who the F can keep up with that?  All I care about are IV, V and VI, and to a far lesser excent, I, II and III.

VII was awesome, and it made me feel like a kid watching the original movies back in the mid '80s.

LOL.

Actually the books generally did not conflict with only some very rare occasions and were generally written by some pretty good SciFi authors who simply had some cool ideas.

No one has asked anyone to read books but for some of us who enjoy reading and are Star Wars fans it gave a deeper insight into a world that we were fond of.

If you are a super fan andiIf you do not like, or have trouble with reading, I would recommend the audiobooks which can be easily listened to while you are driving. truck.

Knowing some authors who have or were asked to write in the universe, there were VERY tight constraints on what the writers could create in the universes, everything had to be reviewed by people within the Lucas industries to make sure it "fit".

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We talking alien blood or human blood. If it isn't red blood then it don't have the same effect IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been awhile since I've seen it, but I think it was red blood from the Tauntaun getting eaten and the wampa's severed arm.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Saw it for my third time today.  When Kylo is interrogating Rey, and he states he can see her dreams of the water and islands, my understanding is that she dreams at night of her childhood memories of being on the planet were Luke was shown to be hiding, before she got sent to Jakku.  Thus; I'm going with she's a Skywalker.  

There is no way she could have know those details of that planet just be looking at the star map BB-8 showed; more so since Kylo said I can see your dreams.  She's always dreamed about being with her family again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well not exactly. The Lightsaber isn't just a pointy laser that stops so many feet out. It technically operates more like a chainsaw. Wielding a Lightsaber is like wielding a chainsaw, the forces on it are not like that of a regular steel sword. So no, non force users wouldn't really be able to use it with any ease and would probably cut off their own limbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know, I get what you are saying and I have heard the same that non-force users have issues using them BUT we have seen many times when non-force users have successfully used without issue.

Han Solo
General Grievious
Pre Viszla
Luke Skywalker (pre-Jedi)
Finn (actually used it in combat with no indication of natural force ability)
Other mentions in the EU

What seems to fit the evidence is that anyone can wield one, only force users can be proficient at it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's not EU, it's in the movies. Sidious was Sith, and he acted as one. He was all about passion and doing what he wanted, rejecting all external authority. Vader was, until almost the very end, a Dark Jedi, speaking of his duty, the inevitability of his fate, etc. Vader's redemption, oddly enough, came from finally letting go of Jedi philosophy and embracing that of the Sith. (He was supposed to bring balance to the force, remember?) He struck at the emperor in rage, out of love for his son, hatred for what he had become.

Dark Jedi are corrupt, cold, rationalizing, fatalistic. They still cling to a sense of order. Dark side Sith are wantonly destructive, proud, vindictive, and mercurial.

Ren is playing at being a Sith. He seems to go into his rages in an almost calculated fashion, as if it's what he thinks he SHOULD do. He also seems genuinely reverent of his master, and longs for his approval. He may get there, but he isn't there yet. He's faking it until he makes it would be my call.

View Quote

Vader was a Sith Lord.  Hence the honorific, Darth.

The Sith are Dark Jedis.  The Sith Order was founded by a Jedi who rejected the Jedi Order's ban against using the dark side of the force, and left to explore the dark side and start his own order.

And your right, Kylo is not yet Sith in the same way Luke was not quite a Jedi in the first two movies.  

But let's avoid being pedantic, when I say I think Kylo could be the baddest ass Sith in the Star Wars series yet, you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:47:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I wish they wouldn't swing light sabers around like the blade actually has mass to it.  It doesn't.  All the weight is in the hilt.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:04:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

i have a feeling she's going be to Ren's twin and the Skywalker blood will be through Leia

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leia left her on Jakku to hide her from Han, because...

Page / 42
Top Top