Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The 10th man
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay.  God exists.  Right now, he's sitting in a bar having a beer in a remote town on Austrailia.  You'll have to buy your own ticket, though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can anyone here prove that Austrailia exists?

That's a physical place/object, so I'll go with 'yes' for this one. You have to buy your own plane ticket, though.

Unless you are a solipsist, then nobody can prove anything .

Okay.  God exists.  Right now, he's sitting in a bar having a beer in a remote town on Austrailia.  You'll have to buy your own ticket, though.

Ripper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lets set down a definition for both Australia and god.

Then lets sit down and work out of plan how we can independently verify each.

Then we will compare the number of ways to verify the existence of each and determine which one is easier to prove to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's just having a little snit.  Since he can't prove God exists, he's going with the solipsism argument of saying that nothing can be proven to exist.  I'm sure it makes sense to him somehow.  

Snit?  I'm an atheist.  I don't believe God exists.  Nor do I believe that Australia exists.

Then we will compare the number of ways to verify the existence of each and determine which one is easier to prove to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

Okay, but I don't believe God exists.  If I am tasked with proving or disproving his existence, I'm going to be biased.

If you take me up in a spacecraft, so I can see the landmass that people claim exists, that people refer to as "Australia," and we then descend onto that landmass -never losing sight of it- and then locate people who are trustworthy who will attest that they are in "Australia" AND there must be kangaroos.  We might need a polygraph, though....  

That would be a good start.  But it could be faked.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well at least God is not going to be like in the bible. Just as we cannot disprove God we cannot prove him.

Why?

Because the bible is a manmade thing that has been changed over and over again by powerful men with their own agendas. We know that over 50% of the bible has been deleted through different processes of elimination where rich men simply voted out the bitts they didn't like.

We also know that the bible borrows heavily from other cultures, the story of Noah is not first seen in a Christian content but several years before Christianity started. The snake was a god in the old Mesopotamia.  It is very common that the gods from former religions are used as villains in newer.

View Quote

That is the biggest bunch of bs I have ever read.

and now ill wait for somebody to tell me "i guess you have never read the bible then?'
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you take me up in a spacecraft, so I can see the landmass that people claim exists, that people refer to as "Australia," and we then descend onto that landmass -never losing sight of it- and then locate people who are trustworthy who will attest that they are in "Australia" AND there must be kangaroos.  We might need a polygraph, though....  

That would be a good start.  But it could be faked.

View Quote

Your scenario was plausible until...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

and now ill wait for somebody to tell me "i guess you have never read the bible then?'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well at least God is not going to be like in the bible. Just as we cannot disprove God we cannot prove him.

Why?

Because the bible is a manmade thing that has been changed over and over again by powerful men with their own agendas. We know that over 50% of the bible has been deleted through different processes of elimination where rich men simply voted out the bitts they didn't like.

We also know that the bible borrows heavily from other cultures, the story of Noah is not first seen in a Christian content but several years before Christianity started. The snake was a god in the old Mesopotamia.  It is very common that the gods from former religions are used as villains in newer.

Which part, specifically?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

"We know that over 50% of the bible has been deleted through different processes of elimination where rich men simply voted out the bitts they didn't like."
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Says you.  I see no proof of this.  Mere anecdotes and here say.
Did one of your "Australian" friends tell you all that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Australia is a physical place, easy to locate in space and time, and accessible to anyone willing to make the journey or to accept the concrete evidence of those who have.
Says you.  I see no proof of this.  Mere anecdotes and here say.

God is a unique phenomenon in all existence. He is not accessible to anyone, by any means, unless he chooses to reveal himself in some fashion. In fact, it's safe to say no one has met God on any bar in any continent. There is no journey you can make, no test you can design, no apparatus you can build that can contact God. He is forever hidden from human sight, until such a time as the Second Coming.

Did one of your "Australian" friends tell you all that?

Looks like we have to go back further and come to some working definition of what counts as "proof", what do we mean when we say something is "true", and what does it take to persuade one of that fact.

I have no Australian friends. I was merely going by the usual Western/Arabic convention of God, which says that you cannot trap God in a net of thoughts like a fish. It would be a different story if we were discussing Eastern concepts of Godhood.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Okay.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's just having a little snit.  Since he can't prove God exists, he's going with the solipsism argument of saying that nothing can be proven to exist.  I'm sure it makes sense to him somehow.  

Snit?  I'm an atheist.  I don't believe God exists.  Nor do I believe that Australia exists.

Okay.  

So, I'll go with the definition that Australia is a human inhabited continent in the southern hemisphere of earth (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Australia/@-26.4390743,133.281323,4z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x2b2bfd076787c5df:0x538267a1955b1352).  Most of the continent is arid in nature with the more temperate zones near the coats. This continent contains peculiar wildlife that are endemic (as seen here), a distinctive race of human beings.  This continent contains a country, also known as Australia.
How can we figure out if Australia actually exists?
First of all we can examine the evidence:

1) Historical and scientific documentation about all of the properties I describe (including books, maps, videos, photographs.)

2) Contemporary documentation, including photographs and videography demonstrating the accuracy of the historical and scientific documentation of the properties I describe (this include satellite imagery that anyone in the world can download and view.)

3) Eyewitnesses that are personally known to me who have been there and have returned with similar documentation (including photographs of themselves there) who corroborate its existence.
Secondly, if still are not convinced we can Physically go to Australia (or so its claimed). We can by two plane tickets and we can arrange a flight, just like I've arranged flights to other countries in the world to go there.  Hell, we can leave tonight.  Really, the only thing that is stopping us is time and money. Flights to Australia will be observable and repeatable, so much so, that I can provide you with an estimate of how long it will take from the time you go to the airport until when you will land in Australia.  We can make up a time table for you to investigate very specific geographical features, landmarks, climatic conditions, or wildlife viewing (which will be more variable.)
Now what about god?

How is god defined?
What evidence do we have for the existence of god?
From what I have seen:

1) Multiple, contradicting, mutually exclusive, occasionally manipulated, often historically inaccurate religious texts.

2) Unsupported assertions that events without a known cause are caused by gods.
Things that are touted as evidence but are not verifiable or useful:

1) Philosophical and hypothetical arguments.

2) Unverifiable personal feelings
If I'm not convinced by these things, what steps can I take right now, to reliably and repeatably demonstrate the existence of god and verify the existence of a god? What exact time frame can be given for me to expect these results? What tests can I do to verify the various properties associated with god? How long will such tests take?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
You seem awfully biased.

Your Australia proof is all stuff that other people wrote or stuff your friends said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You seem awfully biased.
View Quote
By all means, if people want to add to my list, please, be my guest.

The whole point is:

Just because I've never seen a god, nor have I been to Australia, does not mean I have equal reason to doubt their existence.

I can easily be convinced by the evidence of one and not be convinced by the evidence of the other all while not directly measuring either.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The whole point is:

Just because I've never seen a god, nor have I been to Australia, does not mean I have equal reason to doubt their existence.

I can easily be convinced by the evidence of one and not be convinced by the evidence of the other all while not directly measuring either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You seem awfully biased.

The whole point is:

That's because you were raised to believe in Australia.  I bet they even taught you about it in school.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That's because you were raised to believe in Australia.  I bet they even taught you about it in school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You seem awfully biased.

The whole point is:

I was also raised to believe in god.

As an adult, I was able to realize that one should not believe in things for which there was insufficient evidence. Therefore I continued to believe in the existence of Australia and stopped believing in god.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I would believe in god if there was evidence to support that one existed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

This is one of my main reasons for disbelieving. With all of the horrable things happening to innocent people i cant sit by and believe tere is a god while i watch children die, and thousands of innocents be murdered without some kin of intervention. If god truly loves is all, there would be no suffering like this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As an adult, I was able to realize that one should not believe in things for which there was insufficient evidence. Therefore I continued to believe in the existence of Australia and stopped believing in god.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You seem awfully biased.

The whole point is:

Do you believe in any ancient civilizations, for which the only proof we have of their existence is just man-written history?

Do you believe in quarks or the "god particle"?

Do you believe the Theory of Relativity?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Other things that I was raised to believe in that, after examining the evidence, stopped believing in:

1) Ghosts.

2) Lake Monsters.

3) Sea serpents.

4) Bigfoot.

5) Chupacabas.

6) Non-avian dinosaurs living in equatorial jungles and islands.

7) Dowsing.

8) Extra-terrestrial piloted UFO's.

9) Alien abductions.

10) Mothman.

11) The Jersy Devil.

Truly I tell you it is not a matter of foundational bias that I disbelieve in all of these things.  In fact, it was quite the opposite. I looked hard to confirm these beliefs. However, insufficient evidence could be found, so a continued belief in their veracity was no longer rationally justified.

The exact same thing happened with god. It literally was no different.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Other things that I was raised to believe in that, after examining the evidence, stopped believing in:

1) Ghosts.
2) Lake Monsters.
3) Sea serpents.
4) Bigfoot.
5) Chupacabas.
7) Dowsing.
9) Alien abductions.
10) Mothman.
11) The Jersy Devil.

View Quote

You were raised to believe in all of those things?  I find you hard to believe.

Were all of your friends, whom you rely upon for the Australia proof, ALSO raised to believe these things?  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Do you believe in any ancient civilizations, for which the only proof we have of their existence is just man-written history?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You seem awfully biased.
The whole point is:

So now, realizing the idiocy of the Australia analogy, you move the goalposts.
I could take the time to lay out the facts that we have in relations to ancient civilizations, or subatomic particles, or relativity, and what 'beliefs' I have about them (aka, what specific claims I think can be made with a fair degree of confidence).
But I won't, as you've demonstrated you are looking for a gotcha, and no matter what I say you'll just move the goalposts even father.
Succinctly I will say this: The amount of evidence required to a accept something as "true" depends on two things.

1) How fantastic the claims are (aka, how unlikely is what you are claiming given the facts that we already know). Said another way: "the more earth shattering the claim, the more earth shattering the evidence needed to accept it.

2) With what degree of confidence one claims to have of its existence. Knowing with certainty something is true is completely different than believing something is likely true given the evidence.  Falsely trying to conflate qualified confidence in predictive models of reality with claims of absolute knowledge of something that cannot be independently confirmed nor used to make testable predictions is absurd.

ETA::Screw it: What do I "believe" about particle physics and the theory of relativity?  Well, I "believe" that they are predictive models of apparent reality that allow us to make testable and repeatable predictions.  No one can say if either theory is 100% correct, but damn, they do seem to work pretty well for what we need them for.  The same could have been said of Newtonian phsyics...at least right up until the point where people figured out that it was inaccurate to describe certain phenomenon.  Even so, most of your life revolves around objects that were designed using the "disproven" Newtonian physics.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Were all of your friends, whom you rely upon for the Australia proof, ALSO raised to believe these things?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1) Ghosts.

2) Lake Monsters.

3) Sea serpents.

4) Bigfoot.

5) Chupacabas.

7) Dowsing.

9) Alien abductions.

10) Mothman.

11) The Jersy Devil.

That is fine, don't believe what I'm telling you. People lie all the time on the internet.  If you honestly think I am lying on this matter, then there is no reason for you to continue this discussion with me.

I laid out many independence sources of evidence of Australia, eyewitness testimony being only. Your unwillingness or inability to pay attention to the conversation and respond to it without resulting to mischaracterizing what I said betrays the fact that you are either working hard to save your failed argument, or honestly don't get it.  Either way, there is little reason to continue the discussion.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is one of my main reasons for disbelieving. With all of the horrable things happening to innocent people i cant sit by and believe tere is a god while i watch children die, and thousands of innocents be murdered without some kin of intervention. If god truly loves is all, there would be no suffering like this.
View Quote

So you just throw out the notion that God incarnate (Jesus) ever went through severe suffering? Have you read about his death? Did God have to suffer as a human.

And generally Christians believe death is not the end, so they may believe somebody who had the wrong end of injustice will be ultimately compensated for that.

Atheism appears to give an intellectual solution to the problem of suffering, but it removes all hope of justice.

At the very least the crucifixion of Jesus shows that God has not remained distant from suffering and has actually become a part of it. MInd you this is a simplistic solution to the problem.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So you just throw out the notion that God incarnate (Jesus) ever went through severe suffering? Have you read about his death? Did God have to suffer as a human.

And generally Christians believe death is not the end, so they may believe somebody who had the wrong end of injustice will be ultimately compensated for that.

Atheism appears to give an intellectual solution to the problem of suffering, but it removes all hope of justice.

At the very least the crucifixion of Jesus shows that God has not remained distant from suffering and has actually become a part of it. MInd you this is a simplistic solution to the problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, Christianity does that.  By Jesus "washing away the sins of the world" he eliminates justice altogether.

Sacrifice (aka, scapegoating) is the opposite of justice.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, Christianity does that.  By Jesus "washing away the sins of the world" he eliminates justice altogether.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither of those statements are true
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is fine, don't believe what I'm telling you. People lie all the time on the internet.  If you honestly think I am lying on this matter, then there is no reason for you to continue this discussion with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Ghosts.
2) Lake Monsters.
3) Sea serpents.
4) Bigfoot.
5) Chupacabas.
7) Dowsing.
9) Alien abductions.
10) Mothman.
11) The Jersy Devil.

Were you ACTUALLY raised to believe in all of those things?  

You didn't actually say.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I laid out many independence sources of evidence of Australia, eyewitness testimony being only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I laid out many independence sources of evidence of Australia, eyewitness testimony being only.

I have no idea what that sentence even means.

Your unwillingness or inability to pay attention to the conversation and respond to it without resulting to mischaracterizing what I said betrays the fact that you are either working hard to save your failed argument, or honestly don't get it.

I've never mischaracterized anything you've said.  
Either way, there is little reason to continue the discussion.

What reason was there to begin with?  

This thread asks atheists to prove God doesn't exist.  The discussion should have ended right there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I'm going to use my infinite power to make myself sacrifice myself to myself so you don't have to sacrifice yourself for falling victim to the design characteristics I, myself, put in you.

Aren't I merciful?"

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an adult, I was able to realize that one should not believe in things for which there was insufficient evidence.

Not at all.  I'm just asking if you believe in things for which there is insufficient evidence.  Or more to the point: what amount of evidence is enough for you to believe in something?

I could take the time to lay out the facts that we have in relations to ancient civilizations, or subatomic particles, or relativity, and what 'beliefs' I have about them (aka, what specific claims I think can be made with a fair degree of confidence).

But I won't, as you've demonstrated you are looking for a gotcha, and no matter what I say you'll just move the goalposts even father.

Succinctly I will say this: The amount of evidence required to a accept something as "true" depends on two things.
1) How fantastic the claims are (aka, how unlikely is what you are claiming given the facts that we already know). Said another way: "the more earth shattering the claim, the more earth shattering the evidence needed to accept it.
2) With what degree of confidence one claims to have of its existence. Knowing with certainty something is true is completely different than believing something is likely true given the evidence.  Falsely trying to conflate qualified confidence in predictive models of reality with claims of absolute knowledge of something that cannot be independently confirmed nor used to make testable predictions is absurd.
How "fantastic" a claim is, is based upon one's history.  If you grew up being bombarded with claims of ghosts existing or sea monsters, you might have a very high tolerance for "fantastic claims"

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

So if a soldier sacrifices himself to save his squad, by diving on a hand-grenade...

...that's the opposite of justice?

And where does the scapegoating come in?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"I'm going to use my infinite power to make myself sacrifice myself to myself so you don't have to sacrifice yourself for falling victim to the design characteristics I, myself, put in you.

Aren't I merciful?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't I merciful?"

What are you falling victim to?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have no idea what that sentence even means.  I definitely believe that.  Apparently many other sentences as well as evidenced by the content of your posts, so it is unsurprising that a single word missing would confuse you.

I've never mischaracterized anything you've said.   Actually yes you have. You incorrectly stated that I relied on my friends for the Australia proof, as if they were necessary.  They aren't. I could know zero people that went to Australia and still have plenty more evidence for the existence of Australia than anyone else does for god.

This thread asks atheists to prove God doesn't exist.  The discussion should have ended right there. Yes, it should have.  Everyone should have said "there is no reason to believe in the existence of something for which sufficient evidence doesn't exist, therefore there is no need to attempt to prove god doesn't exist."  That said, you've come in with a strawman (or false equivalency, whichever you think it is) about Australia.  That's your fault, not mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea what that sentence even means.  I definitely believe that.  Apparently many other sentences as well as evidenced by the content of your posts, so it is unsurprising that a single word missing would confuse you.

Your unwillingness or inability to pay attention to the conversation and respond to it without resulting to mischaracterizing what I said betrays the fact that you are either working hard to save your failed argument, or honestly don't get it.

I've never mischaracterized anything you've said.   Actually yes you have. You incorrectly stated that I relied on my friends for the Australia proof, as if they were necessary.  They aren't. I could know zero people that went to Australia and still have plenty more evidence for the existence of Australia than anyone else does for god.

Either way, there is little reason to continue the discussion.

This thread asks atheists to prove God doesn't exist.  The discussion should have ended right there. Yes, it should have.  Everyone should have said "there is no reason to believe in the existence of something for which sufficient evidence doesn't exist, therefore there is no need to attempt to prove god doesn't exist."  That said, you've come in with a strawman (or false equivalency, whichever you think it is) about Australia.  That's your fault, not mine.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not at all.  I'm just asking if you believe in things for which there is insufficient evidence.  Or more to the point: what amount of evidence is enough for you to believe in something?  See red.

How "fantastic" a claim is, is based upon one's history.  If you grew up being bombarded with claims of ghosts existing or sea monsters, you might have a very high tolerance for "fantastic claims"

No, its based on one's rationality and their knowledge of how reality works, and how we figure things out about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As an adult, I was able to realize that one should not believe in things for which there was insufficient evidence.

Not at all.  I'm just asking if you believe in things for which there is insufficient evidence.  Or more to the point: what amount of evidence is enough for you to believe in something?  See red.

No, its based on one's rationality and their knowledge of how reality works, and how we figure things out about it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So if a soldier sacrifices himself to save his squad, by diving on a hand-grenade...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Altruism has nothing to do with justice and it totally irrelevant here.  The squad isn't being punished for their sins, or crimes, the soldier sacrificing himself isn't trying to allow them to "pay" for their bad behavior.

If an innocent man lets himself be tortured so a rapist and murder can go free if he "accepts" the innocent man dying for his crimes is the opposite of justice.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you don't believe Jesus died for humanity's sins, and that people will be punished based on their actions and not their beliefs?

Interesting, that is totally different than the typical view of Christianity.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  Apparently many other sentences as well as evidenced by the content of your posts, so it is unsurprising that a single word missing would confuse you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:  Apparently many other sentences as well as evidenced by the content of your posts, so it is unsurprising that a single word missing would confuse you.
You think that the absence of only one word is the problem with that incoherent sentence?

You incorrectly stated that I relied on my friends for the Australia proof, as if they were necessary.They aren't.
YOU cited them as proof.  If they aren't needed as proof, I don't know why you cited them.
I could know zero people that went to Australia and still have plenty more evidence for the existence of Australia than anyone else does for god.
I don't believe in god. I wouldn't believe in him if all of my friends met him, took pictures of him, or if you were to cite a mountain of books and other sources.  There's no point in trying to convince me.

That said, you've come in with a strawman (or false equivalency, whichever you think it is) about Australia.  That's your fault, not mine.[/span]

You still haven't provided any proof that Australia exists.  You've merely insisted that such proof exists.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No. Altruism has nothing to do with justice and it totally irrelevant here.  The squad isn't being punished for their sins, or crimes, the soldier sacrificing himself isn't trying to allow them to "pay" for their bad behavior.

If an innocent man lets himself be tortured so a rapist and murder can go free if he "accepts" the innocent man dying for his crimes is the opposite of justice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not relating his sacrifice to justice. I was relating his sacrifice to suffering
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in your "reality" you were actually raised to believe in:

1) Ghosts.
2) Lake Monsters.
3) Sea serpents.
4) Bigfoot.
5) Chupacabas.
7) Dowsing.
9) Alien abductions.
10) Mothman.
11) The Jersy Devil.

That's the truth?  That's reality?

When the mind's eye rests on objects illuminated by truth and reality, it understands and comprehends them, and functions intelligently; but when it turns to the twilight world of change and decay, it can only form opinions, its vision is confused and its beliefs shifting, and it seems to lack intelligence.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Uh, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prove to a blind man the sky is blue.

Prove to a guy, that has no knowledge of science, who sees a blue sky, that the sky really isn't blue. That it's just the way your brain interprets the light from the Sun refracting through the atmosphere.  

Uh, lol.

This is actually 100% true. Perceived color is a result only of refracted light, which contains all the colors in the universe in its pure "white" form. The molecular arrangement of an object absorbs some parts of the color spectrum and reflects back other parts.

That is why a Florida orange looks "orange" instead of its natural color, which is a very dark brownish gray.

Want proof? Take an orange into a dark room at night, like at bedtime. No cheating with nightlights or streetlamps. Wait a few hours for your night vision to kick in. Then look at the orange.

Color is not intrinsic to an object. Molecules are. Color is intrinsic to wavelengths of light, whether natural or artificial.

This is a simplistic GD-rated explanation of light and color.

Also, have you ever flipped open the back of a 35mm film camera and looked through the lens? Notice that the image you see is upside down?

Your eyes work the same way. They see everything upside down, but your brain flips it right side up.

None of this proves the existance of a God but I, an atheist, often wonder how a universe so complex and so wonderful came to be.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't I merciful?"

Tasty apple is tasty.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You think that the absence of only one word is the problem with that incoherent sentence?
YOU cited them as proof.  If they aren't needed as proof, I don't know why you cited them. It was an example, I don't "rely on" a single piece of evidence. You incorrectly stated this.

I don't believe in god. I wouldn't believe in him if all of my friends met him, took pictures of him, or if you were to cite a mountain of books and other sources.  There's no point in trying to convince me. Well, if you honestly think that is the best way to figure things out about the world, then by all means, continue on doing what you are doing.  Just realize you are an extreme minority among atheists, myself included. Nearly every atheist i have ever talked to is open to actual evidence of god.

You still haven't provided any proof that Australia exists.  You've merely insisted that such proof exists. [span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']Right, I listed what evidence is available, exactly what I said I was going to do. Somehow you must not have read that post either.  Really, you should stop while you're behind.[/span]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You incorrectly stated that I relied on my friends for the Australia proof, as if they were necessary.They aren't.
YOU cited them as proof.  If they aren't needed as proof, I don't know why you cited them. It was an example, I don't "rely on" a single piece of evidence. You incorrectly stated this.

I could know zero people that went to Australia and still have plenty more evidence for the existence of Australia than anyone else does for god.
I don't believe in god. I wouldn't believe in him if all of my friends met him, took pictures of him, or if you were to cite a mountain of books and other sources.  There's no point in trying to convince me. Well, if you honestly think that is the best way to figure things out about the world, then by all means, continue on doing what you are doing.  Just realize you are an extreme minority among atheists, myself included. Nearly every atheist i have ever talked to is open to actual evidence of god.

That said, you've come in with a strawman (or false equivalency, whichever you think it is) about Australia.  That's your fault, not mine.[/span]

You still haven't provided any proof that Australia exists.  You've merely insisted that such proof exists. [span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']Right, I listed what evidence is available, exactly what I said I was going to do. Somehow you must not have read that post either.  Really, you should stop while you're behind.[/span]

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

1) Ghosts.

2) Lake Monsters.

3) Sea serpents.

4) Bigfoot.

5) Chupacabas.

7) Dowsing.

9) Alien abductions.

10) Mothman.

11) The Jersy Devil.

When the mind's eye rests on objects illuminated by truth and reality, it understands and comprehends them, and functions intelligently; but when it turns to the twilight world of change and decay, it can only form opinions, its vision is confused and its beliefs shifting, and it seems to lack intelligence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) Ghosts.

2) Lake Monsters.

3) Sea serpents.

4) Bigfoot.

5) Chupacabas.

7) Dowsing.

9) Alien abductions.

10) Mothman.

11) The Jersy Devil.

Yes, in my life I was brought up to believe that those things were real. I'm not even sure what your point is with this.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I was not relating his sacrifice to justice. I was relating his sacrifice to suffering
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you said atheism removes hope of justice.
Just realize many religions do this as well, especially religions that aren't based on justice but forgiveness or rewarding simple belief or obedience.

Sorry if i jumped in and attacked you unfairly.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just realize many religions do this as well, especially religions that aren't based on justice but forgiveness or rewarding simple belief or obedience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its all good. Its good to see the different views on this subject
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nearly every atheist i have ever talked to is open to actual evidence of god.

View Quote

Really?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes, in my life I was brought up to believe that those things were real. I'm not even sure what your point is with this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Ghosts.
2) Lake Monsters.
3) Sea serpents.
4) Bigfoot.
5) Chupacabas.
7) Dowsing.
9) Alien abductions.
10) Mothman.
11) The Jersy Devil.

I just find it very hard to believe that you were raised to believe that such things are true.   I am directly questioning your truthfulness.

For example, the Chupacabra.  The Chupacabra myth first came into existence in Puerto Rico in 1995.  Are you claiming that you were "raised to believe" that Chupacabra actually existed?  How old are you?  Unless you're a 20 year old Puerto Rican... I think you're lying.

No response... My suspicions were correct.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Only read the first 4 pages of this gem so far.... but serious question here:

If most atheists here don't believe in God due to a lack of demonstrable evidence - how is it that a lot you still manage to believe in ghosts though?

Seems quite hypocritical
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If most atheists here don't believe in God due to a lack of demonstrable evidence - how is it that a lot you still manage to believe in ghosts though?

Seems quite hypocritical
View Quote

Who believes in ghosts?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Seems quite hypocritical

View Quote

A lack of intellectual consistency, like most people.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nearly every atheist i have ever talked to is open to actual evidence of god.

Really?
Yes.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I just find it very hard to believe that you were raised to believe that such things are true.   I am directly questioning your truthfulness.

For example, the Chupacabra.  The Chupacabra myth first came into existence in Puerto Rico in 1995.  Are you claiming that you were "raised to believe" that Chupacabra actually existed?  How old are you?  Unless you're a 20 year old Puerto Rican... I think you're lying.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a child of the 80's.

I saw a show about it in the mid 90's.  I distinctly recall talking about it in 6th grade with one of my friends.

My father, of course, definitely believed in it after seeing the show and would talk about it occasionally.

Did I mention I went to school with a bunch of Puerto-Ricans?

Feel free to question my credibility on entirely believable points all you want. Doesn't matter to me.

Any other trollish things you'd like to talk about? Or are you done throwing around silly, ineffective arguments?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Seems quite hypocritical
View Quote

Actually if you read threads on various supernatural stuff and pay attention to who believes in what the pattern is pretty clear.

Some people will believe anything, and others require evidence.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top