Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 7:28:52 PM EDT
I picked up MT biking this summer and love it.  I'm really looking to stay active this winter so I figured a fatbike might be in the cards.  I'm looking to buy one from bikesdirect for like $500.  It will mostly be used in the snow on singletrack trails.  I'm hoping that you can still get some good speed on these things?

Anyways... post pics if you got em.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
My buddy has one of the super fat tired ones (Surly, I think?) that he rides to work when there is snow on the path.

We had some pretty good snows last winter and he really liked it.  He said it's slow, but basically allowed him to ride in conditions that would have been impossible on a normal MTB.

ETA: Yeah a Surly, similar to this.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My buddy has one of the super fat tired ones (Surly, I think?) that he rides to work when there is snow on the path.

View Quote

We had some pretty good snows last winter and he really liked it.  He said it's slow, but basically allowed him to ride in conditions that would have been impossible on a normal MTB.

The Surly's are nice but they are $$$
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Surly's are nice but they are $$$

Might be the wrong weapon for a couple of inches of snow on a single track also.  He mainly uses it for deep snow on a flat paved path.

Does any other company make bike with "Surly sized" tires?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The rubber is a lot of mass to spin.  Consider it a good quad work out.  Go for it!!!!!

I really miss my knees..........
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I picked up MT biking this summer and love it.  I'm really looking to stay active this winter so I figured a fatbike might be in the cards.  I'm looking to buy one from bikesdirect for like $500.  It will mostly be used in the snow on singletrack trails.  I'm hoping that you can still get some good speed on these things?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-images/bullseye-blk-5.jpg

View Quote

Fatbikes are buy once cry once items. You will NOT be satisfied with a 500 bikesdirect bike. Ask me how I know. Also they aren't even true fatbikes You need to upgrade the hubs and tires to something a bit beefier. They are more like heavy mountain bikes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I was just looking at them last night, I really want to try one out too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a close look at the components before you buy a bike from Bikes Direct.

I bought a Gravity road bike from them a year ago and, while I do like the bike, had to replace the shifters and front derailleur cause they were shit (Microshift).

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
What in the world. Lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I run a fatback 190x platform It is the tits. I bought previous model year and used saved me almost $1K. The bike was like new they had a trip computer installed and it literally had 5 miles on it. It just wasnt what the first owner thought or they didn't realize they were so out of shape

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8001/7335139354_1cf7a44a57_z.jpg

View Quote

How big is the cassette on that one?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I want to get one for riding the local hard packed trail that runs through the National park.
I have snowshoed it and its a beautiful trip in the winter and would love to bike it year round.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Surly FTW.

Salsa is making one called the Bucksaw that's full squish and geared. You can get a Salsa Beargrease in a full carbon build as well. Some guy got his down to low 20's. Now that's just going to be crazy fun right there. I would ride that all day regardless of snow and mud. Singletrack rollers and jumps would be a blast on that.

A fatbike is on my short Christmas list this year and I live in GA. Snow is irrelevant, the fun factor is not.

If your LBS has a demo day with Trek, they just released a fatbike this year. Go try it and you will see what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Fatbikes are buy once cry once items. You will NOT be satisfied with a 500 bikesdirect bike. Ask me how I know. Also they aren't even true fatbikes You need to upgrade the hubs and tires to something a bit beefier. They are more like heavy mountain bikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-images/bullseye-blk-5.jpg

What would you recommend without spending more than like $700?  My wife would kill me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What would you recommend without spending more than like $700?  My wife would kill me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A used one that someone bought and didn't like.

Try pinkbike maybe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look for a used 1st gen surly puglsey. They were 1,100-1,200 new should be able to find a used one around 700-900
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#18]
You're hoping for speed on a fat bike? Yeah, there's speed if you're going down a big ass hill. Otherwise, it's pretty much the recipe for a slow ride - big tires, big contact patch with knobs, big rims and lots of rotating mass.

They're fun, but not fast.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Don't laugh, I want one to ride around with my kids.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in NE Iowa, I don't ride but several acquaintances do and the group grows every year. They live for winter.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
The reason most of us here go through the hassle of becoming high earners is so we can buy nice stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#22]
All over the place down here except the tires are a street tread and they call them beach bikes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm wanting a fattie!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought a Surly Moonlander, not even 5 feet of distance put on her, the 1st ride is Thursday.
I ride a Raleigh Talos 5 with 2.2" wide tires that does me pretty good, but there are some trails that are loose and sandy that suck to ride, and the Surly will be for those.

A pic to compare tire size to my other bike, they are both 26" tires.

And another of the bike. The pic was intended to compare tires, not show the bike per se, and I'm at work, so I don't have a better one to share.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#25]
This is what we do here in the twin cities, all year long.  I personally run two fat bikes.  One w/ 65mm rims, light tubes, and "lighter" tires.  The other has 100mm wide rims and the biggest baddest tires out there, a bud and lou.  Both bikes are made by 9:zero:7.  The 3.8" wide build has a 135mm offset rear and the 4.8" build is a 190mm spaced symmetrical rear.

The skinny fatbike is a blast to ride, and by NO MEANS SLOW.  It is all about the motor on these things.  The only thing that gets you is going up hills.  Other than that they are just as fast as a normal mountain bike on hard surfaces.  On single track it is a wash, what you loose in acceleration you make up for in cornering potential.  Now when things get loose, is where these bike shine.  You don't tend to dig as much as a 2.* wide bike, you float over the top to some extent.  The wider the tire the more float you have.   I tend to put about 1,000 miles a year on this ride and is my favorite bicycle to ride. So much so that my two 29er's mostly sit around.

Now the bike with the 4.8 wide tires, this is a whole different animal.  The tires are draggy and slow on hard surfaces.  It takes a dedicated effort to keep moving at a decent pace.  You pay a price in speed that you make up for in loose and soft conditions.  This bike goes where my other fat bike struggles or fails.  Thing sugar sand along the Minnesota River Bottoms after a flood, and crazy snow conditions.  This is my go to bike when things get shitty.

Now, to your question.  Spend the money and get a 190mm spaced frame.  You will not regret it as you can always get a second set of lighter less aggressive tires for fare weather riding.  When winter comes along with the snow, you have the option to go big on the tires.  You will see your friends on the 3.8" tires struggle as you just keep trucking through.  I won't waste your time or money on the super cheap models as you will regret it a few months down the road when you figure out what fat biking is all about.  The bikes direct Lurch model is probably the ideal bike for the price right now as you get all the new standards that just came out this year.  190mm rear and a 150mm front hub spacing.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-lurch-x9-fatbikes.htm

FYI: My first fat bike was a surly pugsley, frame cracked with in two years of use.  Was heavy and flexy like a wet noodle.  Geometry sucked ass, and handled like crap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
+1

The reason most of us here go through the hassle of becoming high earners is so we can buy nice stuff and look down our noses at those who can't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The reason most of us here go through the hassle of becoming high earners is so we can buy nice stuff and look down our noses at those who can't.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Another cost effect fat bike to get into that is really popular around here for minimal cost is the Framed Minnesota 2.0.  These bikes go for $900 new and come with two sets of wheels.  Fatbike wheels and 29er wheels.  You can sell the 29er wheels for $200 and now you have a $700 fat bike.

http://www.the-house.com/fat-bikes.html?gclid=CKP8uvz5w8ACFRMLMgod_H8AyA

High end are: $2k+ for most models

Salsa
9:Zero:7
Fatback
Borealis
LeMere
Carver
And a few more

Don't forget this amazing resource!

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This is what we do here in the twin cities, all year long.  I personally run two fat bikes.  One w/ 65mm rims, light tubes, and "lighter" tires.  The other has 100mm wide rims and the biggest baddest tires out there, a bud and lou.  Both bikes are made by 9:zero:7.  The 3.8" wide build has a 135mm offset rear and the 4.8" build is a 190mm spaced symmetrical rear.

The skinny fatbike is a blast to ride, and by NO MEANS SLOW.  It is all about the motor on these things.  The only thing that gets you is going up hills.  Other than that they are just as fast as a normal mountain bike on hard surfaces.  On single track it is a wash, what you loose in acceleration you make up for in cornering potential.  Now when things get loose, is where these bike shine.  You don't tend to dig as much as a 2.* wide bike, you float over the top to some extent.  The wider the tire the more float you have.   I tend to put about 1,000 miles a year on this ride and is my favorite bicycle to ride. So much so that my two 29er's mostly sit around.

Now the bike with the 4.8 wide tires, this is a whole different animal.  The tires are draggy and slow on hard surfaces.  It takes a dedicated effort to keep moving at a decent pace.  You pay a price in speed that you make up for in loose and soft conditions.  This bike goes where my other fat bike struggles or fails.  Thing sugar sand along the Minnesota River Bottoms after a flood, and crazy snow conditions.  This is my go to bike when things get shitty.

Now, to your question.  Spend the money and get a 190mm spaced frame.  You will not regret it as you can always get a second set of lighter less aggressive tires for fare weather riding.  When winter comes along with the snow, you have the option to go big on the tires.  You will see your friends on the 3.8" tires struggle as you just keep trucking through.  I won't waste your time or money on the super cheap models as you will regret it a few months down the road when you figure out what fat biking is all about.  The bikes direct Lurch model is probably the ideal bike for the price right now as you get all the new standards that just came out this year.  190mm rear and a 150mm front hub spacing.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-lurch-x9-fatbikes.htm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/1927025_10202759420563424_2109421139_n.jpg?oh=37a2c91ef9a93df061653a822a883574&oe=5408A4CA&__gda__=1409843710_818bfee7092bfaea9665ba09851b3189

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10341892_312647002218963_6155393310430978129_n.jpg?oh=b862391d5052d486c6a0ecb8283306f2&oe=54801D57&__gda__=1416392175_26c16b7b378bd1874847c3f1547a6741

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/p417x417/1939855_285366328280364_64809774_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1723170_285240228292974_87263948_n.jpg?oh=05f450c832e14d0f00a553c57626cc09&oe=5474B10F&__gda__=1416980702_31726a7e517e830c45fb74f9a6e93575

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1888600_278673958949601_879884634_n.jpg?oh=b2bfbae9dd69e29589166d98b2165a7c&oe=5467BA0E&__gda__=1415271805_86a99080105f0ec71a97099561147ea2

FYI: My first fat bike was a surly pugsley, frame cracked with in two years of use.  Was heavy and flexy like a wet noodle.  Geometry sucked ass, and handled like crap.
View Quote

Looks like a ton of fun.  I may be able to get my wife to let me spend that.  I'm still trying to convince her that I need to replace my summer bike that I just bought this year.  You can guess who the bread winner is.  

As far as sizing goes, I'm 6'4" 200lbs (don't know inseam) I would assume an XL like my trail bike?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Looks like a ton of fun.  I may be able to get my wife to let me spend that.  I'm still trying to convince her that I need to replace my summer bike that I just bought this year.  You can guess who the bread winner is.  

As far as sizing goes, I'm 6'4" 200lbs (don't know inseam) I would assume an XL like my trail bike?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/1927025_10202759420563424_2109421139_n.jpg?oh=37a2c91ef9a93df061653a822a883574&oe=5408A4CA&__gda__=1409843710_818bfee7092bfaea9665ba09851b3189
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10341892_312647002218963_6155393310430978129_n.jpg?oh=b862391d5052d486c6a0ecb8283306f2&oe=54801D57&__gda__=1416392175_26c16b7b378bd1874847c3f1547a6741
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/p417x417/1939855_285366328280364_64809774_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1723170_285240228292974_87263948_n.jpg?oh=05f450c832e14d0f00a553c57626cc09&oe=5474B10F&__gda__=1416980702_31726a7e517e830c45fb74f9a6e93575
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1888600_278673958949601_879884634_n.jpg?oh=b2bfbae9dd69e29589166d98b2165a7c&oe=5467BA0E&__gda__=1415271805_86a99080105f0ec71a97099561147ea2

XL would be a good size for you.  I'm roughly 6'1" 205# and my XL fits me perfect.  The other is a Large and it is a little on the small side.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife says I can't spend that much money on another bike right now, so you'd make me jealous.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#33]

I just bought this one a few weeks back and I'm loving it.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fantom-fat-bikes_fb4comp_xiv.htm

It was my first bike purchase in 25 years. I'm either going to buy a suspension fork and another set of 29er wheels for it or a whole other bike to ride the gravel roads around the house. and save the Fat Tires for the sandbars and the snow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's a few picks of my Motobecane FB4 Comp.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjpynA62_xY

My video skills suck, but this is why I bought a fat bike. I plan on doing some riding on the sandbars on the river.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Does that use a coaster brake?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Holy shit, I get tired peddling a regular bike.
View Quote

Seriously.

I thought when I went to 35mm  tires I was on a fatbike.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Specialized
Scott
Surly
Salsa

All make really nice fatbikes. The Specialized Fatboy is aluminum, I recently rode one on our regular Wednesday morning hill climb ride and smashed a lot of guys on regular mountain bikes.

The Scott is a good deal because you can get one with a suspension fork (RockShox Bluto) at a relatively decent price.

The Salsa Mukluk is a great bike, but a little heavy compared to the Specialized and Scott.

The Surly is a great bike, and the fatbike that started it all, but its probably a better choice for those trans-Alaska mid winter bikepacking trips than shredding on your local trails in the summer.

The newest generation of alloy and carbon fatbikes are VERY fast, and very fun to ride on all trails, regardless of the season.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top