Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/2/2014 12:44:30 AM EDT
How about a friend or neighbor? My 19 year old daughter says she doesn't ever want to have kids. It doesn't bother me or my wife one bit. It's her life and she's free to do whatever she wants.

The reason I asked about a friend or neighbor; a buddy of mine got married a few years ago. He's about 30 and his wife about 33 or so, I don't remember. He says neither of them ever wants to have kids. When he told me that, he asked me if that offended me. I told him it would be fucking stupid of me to get offended for something like that. He then says that a co-worker asked him once "I heard you got married. When are you gonna have kids?"  My buddy told him "Never. We don't want kids"  The co-worker got visibly upset and was inquiring why he didn't want to have kids. It's none of his fucking business why his co-worker doesn't want to have kids.

BTW, I posted this thread after reading The Pontificator's thread here
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:46:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm 29 and I don't want to have kids.   So no I would not be offended.

But of course, with thoughts like this, Idiocracy keeps coming true.  All the single moms and rednecks keep reproducing stupid kids.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Not at all.
Would never happen though because my plan is to never have kids too.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope.

My son will eventually know that my wife and I didn't want to have kids, we just disregarded that whole "protection" thing one too many times.

I wouldn't trade him for all the .22 in the world now.  He may be a PITA 18 month old, but he's MY PITA 18 month old.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I would wonder what happened to her, but it wouldn't "bother" me.  

A 19 y/o doesn't know what she wants.   The decision means more at 38.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm 40, married for 9 of the 16 years my wife and I have been together and don't have or want kids. If we did, we would've had them long before now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Not having kids is the most prudent decision a modern American could make.

I'd commend my never going to exist child.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope.

My son will eventually know that my wife and I didn't want to have kids, we just disregarded that whole "protection" thing one too many times.

I wouldn't trade him for all the .22 in the world now.  He may be a PITA 18 month old, but he's MY PITA 18 month old.
View Quote

I hope you aren't serious.

You might think it's cute, but it's fucked up and wrong.  You should reconsider.    Don't shackle your children with your own hangups and failures,  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#9]

I'm not having kids, and if my parents are offended, I don't give a shit...

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You might think it's cute, but it's fucked up and wrong.  You should reconsider.    Don't shackle your children with your own hangups and failures,  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

Hah, no shit!  "Son, I love you, but I never wanted you.  Thanks for being a burden"
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
If you don't think your line coming to an end matters, I guess it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:57:51 AM EDT
[#12]
The wife and I made that decision before we got hitched. We both have our reasons.

Have run into the same sort of festering assholes, that seem to think everyone should squirt out kids like a vending machine.
Some have been so forward as to ask "Don't you think that is really selfish?" or "You must have a really empty and meaningless life?".

Your Daughter is going to learn that a good number of people on this planet, are friggin' loons.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hah, no shit!  "Son, I love you, but I never wanted you.  Thanks for being a burden"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

Did I ever fucking say he was a burden?

Perhaps you should've read the bottom part of my post.

Telling a child when he's older that he wasn't planned isn't a bad thing, in fact, it might make someone reconsider things like using protection when he's a teen.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't be "offended".

I AM lucky though that my spawn all seem to be determined to reproduce

I can't  begin to comprehend the levels of happiness my GD is reaching here lol

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:59:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I have enjoyed the hell outta my 4 kids.  But, I never thought about having them until Mrs. Drsalee told me to.

Mine have turned out fine, thus far......but it is a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was last of my line until my sons were born. I didn't have them to carry on our line, I had them because after 36 years of being wholly self-centered I *wanted* to have some kids.

Now, though, I wouldn't be offended if they didn't want kids but, I won't pretend I wouldn't feel a bit let down. With 2 sons I have a great opportunity to start branching out our family tree again. Maybe for generations to come. The thought is pretty neat, to me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never wanted kids. Too much trouble and money.

Now I have a kid coming, and I'm thrilled. I already want another one and this one isn't even born yet.

Doing my part to keep my line going and fighting against the FSA. But I won't be offended if people don't want kids. Now I just think they're mentally retarded.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It doesn't matter at all to me. My dad only had two brothers, and between them had three boys. 2 are fat and ugly, I mean arfcom fat. To the point where they might never get married, and that's assuming they like women. The third one I think is normal looking, I wouldn't know. I haven't seen him in over 20-25 years. I couldn't care less about that stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

My line?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The wife and I made that decision before we got hitched. We both have our reasons.

Have run into the same sort of festering assholes, that seem to think everyone should squirt out kids like a vending machine.
Some have been so forward as to ask "Don't you think that is really selfish?" or "You must have a really empty and meaningless life?".

Your Daughter is going to learn that a good number of people on this planet, are friggin' loons.

View Quote

Yep. This one shithead that was giving my buddy a hard time is a weirdo. He reminds me a lot of Ned Flanders.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep. This one shithead that was giving my buddy a hard time is a weirdo. He reminds me a lot of Ned Flanders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Ned Flanders and all his kids vote, or will vote. And they outnumber you. And they probably vote Democrat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, No I would be far from offended if my daughter said that! Let alone a friend or neighbor.

The wife and I have been married since 1998 and have been harped on having kids since 1999, by both the inlaws and some random folks. I remember at a get together one couple pulled the selfish card for not having children( I politely handed their ass to them in that conversation).

As the time went by, the wife and I wanted to have A child. In 2010 we were blessed with a beautiful girl!

It was on our terms, not the mouth piece that is family or society!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

We got this all the time from our parents when we were in our mid-20's.

Really? Selfish?  We were in Germany for 6 years.  We enjoyed ourselves.  I'm sorry we didn't stop having experiences others may never have just so we could push out kids so you had bragging rights on your friends who didn't have grand kids, or had them when they were in their late 30's.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I never wanted kids until I met my now wife. When I got with her she had a 3 year old little girl. That girl is my pride, we shoot, fish and she is now starting home schooling at 5. I am doing everything I can to make sure that girl as one hell of a childhood that she can be proud of.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Not a week goes by that I don't question why I brought kids into this world!

Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, and cherish every moment with them. Also glad I had them 99% of the time!

I will support their choice no matter what it is!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP, No I would be far from offended if my daughter said that! Let alone a friend or neighbor.

The wife and I have been married since 1998 and have been harped on having kids since 1999, by both the inlaws and some random folks. I remember at a get together one couple pulled the selfish card for not having children( I politely handed their ass to them in that conversation).

As the time went by, the wife and I wanted to have A child. In 2010 we were blessed with a beautiful girl!

View Quote

I will damn sure give you this one. We got hammered by idiots for years. The one on the way was a mutual decision.  One we made without anyone else's input.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I didn't want kids. I was determined to live a life of pure selfish awesomeness. That all changed a little after "I'm pregnant" and "bullfuckingshit you are"

- When I think of a married couple without kids, I usually assume they can't have kids. Not that they don't want them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Me and the wife really have no desire for any at this point and time. I'm 30 she 28. I have 2 much younger siblings and have felt like I've already been there done with divorced parents I have taken them to and from school almost as much as any parent along with lots of baby sitting as the rents figured themselves out. So ya not all that interested.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Telling a child when he's older that he wasn't planned isn't a bad thing, in fact, it might make someone reconsider things like using protection when he's a teen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

Your life, your kid, your decision.

But it's a fucked up and horrible thing to tell any child.  

That's an objective fact.  

Think, before you spew.    Verbally.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I will damn sure give you this one. We got hammered by idiots for years. The one on the way was a mutual decision.  One we made without anyone else's input.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much respect! Thank you! It is your life to live not theirs! My father reminded me of this. All in good time!
Also congrats on the incoming child Sweptvolume, glad it was on your terms as well!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

I agree that it would be fucked up, if on one drunken rage, I told him that he was the worst mistake I ever fucking made and left it at that.

However, it is his right to know that he wasn't planned at all, and his mother and father had to make Major lifestyle changes to ensure that when he came into this world, he'd at least have a step up on the trailer trash because his parents jumped into loving him unconditionally the moment he kicked mom's belly while I had some outlaw country playing.

I was the result of a failure of an IUD.  I knew that from middle school.  Knowing that made me more determined to make my folks as proud as I could with my life choices.  My folks didn't sugar coat shit for me, didn't beat me, just pushed me to be what I wanted to be and be the best that I could be at that vocation.  I plan on using that same "hangups and.... failures?" that I had before my son was born as teaching points.

Hey, little Everett, you know how things are going good for you right now, life's curve ball is coming.  Let me tell you  how some anon thought I was a failure, so you can be shacked by that.

Or, my little cuss will live his life with two parents who love him very much, even when he's doing that toddler tantrum and sleep regression while the wife is going back to school for continuing ed credits that helps her bring in $, and dad doesn't get much more than 4 continuous hours a sleep a night.  

Just because a child wasn't wanted or planned, doesn't mean that the reality of that child will make bad parents.  

Some of us take the new challenges and stressors the world gives us and rock that shit better than the "I'm going to have n children by this age" crowd.  I'm hoping to have it figured out and my son never in prison by the time he's 18.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#32]
LP and I are both early 20's and we do not want any kids.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got seven brothers and one sister. Between them I have over 20 nieces and nephews. My family line isn't going away anytime soon.

I won't have any kids because I'm a cripple and have genetic problems that could be passed on. It wouldn't be fair for any potential child to have me as a father.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've got seven brothers and one sister. Between them I have over 20 nieces and nephews. My family line isn't going away anytime soon.

I won't have any kids because I'm a cripple and have genetic problems that could be passed on. It wouldn't be fair for any potential child to have me as a father.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are a ton of kids/babies out there that need adoptive homes.  Just sayin'.  One of my friends adopted a baby from Guatemala.  He's 10 now.

My wife and I have a combined IQ close to 350 (143 for me, 200+ for her).  While we always wanted kids, part of the motivation was that we also felt we needed to have kids to help combat the Idiocracy crowd.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:32:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Great kids .... yours I guess???

Somewhere I have pics from 26 years ago ...... my oldest son sat down with one of those tubs of 250 diaper wipes.

He pulled them all out when nobody was looking and the funny part was watching his try to stuff them back in.

Kids are what life is all about.

Would it offend me if someone doesn't want to have children?

No, not at all.

Being a parent takes special skills, not everyone has them and for those people there are cats and dogs.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:33:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

I was sort of thinking the same then when I read that post.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Really? Selfish?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Really? Selfish?  

Want to know where the question about being "selfish" comes from?

When you express this .......

Quoted: We enjoyed ourselves.

It sort of says " we are selfishly enjoying ourselves and do not want to share each other with any offspring ".

I found the smart thing was to tell my parents ...... " When we are ready, things will happen. "

Wife and I have three wonderful children ....... but not before we were both over the age of 30 !!!!!!!!

Immature people should not be parents ...... we wanted to be sure we were right for the job.

ETA: You are NEVER really ready to have children....they just come.

Wife and I had it all figured out .... we both had good jobs with nice income.

We were comfortable in our lives and were ready to share it with children.

First son was born and 6 months later my company shut down.    OOPS!!!!

So what did we do?

Had ANOTHER child!  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

- When I think of a married couple without kids, I usually assume they can't have kids. Not that they don't want them.
View Quote

If I never wanted to have children of my own .... I would never have gotten married to begin with.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#39]
My mom told me when I was 14 that I wasn't planned, and that my conception was actually a mistake.

That taught me that not all mistakes, or slip ups are terrible, but I should still be careful anyway.

JohnnyCarcinogen, I agree with your decision. Good on you for being honest to your kid, in the future. I'm glad my mom was honest with me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Have 5 kids probably will have more. No I do not get offended, but I do encourage some people and discourage others. I 100% behind liberal not having kids but I encourage freedom loving peoples to have as many kids as they can. If I try to encourage someone to have kids then it is a compliment because it means I think highly of them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not at all.
Would never happen though because my plan is to never have kids too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Pics/9705d99775a9ecc8d1fffe0e045d0665_zps14b0c832.jpg
View Quote

So that's why you haven't had any 2 person sex for the last 12 years?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm 30 and have no kids. Never been married either. I didn't really plan things to go one way or the other. Just happened this way.

I wouldn't be offended.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I have two brothers, both in their 40's.  One has a daughter, the other has no kids with no plans for any.  

My family brought it up at one Thanksgiving dinner...I am the last of the family name.  

While I was growing up, I hated kids and wanted nothing to do with them.  When I turned 24, I had a change of heart.  For the last 3 years, there's nothing more I wanted than to have a kid of my own.  The thing is, I can't find anyone stupid enough to date me...much less get married and have a kid with me

My mom wants grand kids so bad...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:11:26 AM EDT
[#45]
My father was offended until the last day of his life, his brothers son died young and I'm last of the line too bad. I was adopted anyway so WTF does it matter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#46]
No.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#47]
What's going to happen is going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Sigh......I guess there is more ways than one to starve the beast.......Just quit having kids that are likely to grow-up as producers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How about a friend or neighbor? My 19 year old daughter says she doesn't ever want to have kids. It doesn't bother me or my wife one bit. It's her life and she's free to do whatever she wants.

The reason I asked about a friend or neighbor; a buddy of mine got married a few years ago. He's about 30 and his wife about 33 or so, I don't remember. He says neither of them ever wants to have kids. When he told me that, he asked me if that offended me. I told him it would be fucking stupid of me to get offended for something like that. He then says that a co-worker asked him once "I heard you got married. When are you gonna have kids?"  My buddy told him "Never. We don't want kids"  The co-worker got visibly upset and was inquiring why he didn't want to have kids. It's none of his fucking business why his co-worker doesn't want to have kids.

BTW, I posted this thread after reading The Pontificator's thread here
View Quote

Just make sure she's thought it through all the way prior to making any real, final decisions. If she has, cool.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#50]
If my children don't have offspring, how will I have grandchildren that look like me?

This is very important to me so if my children can't produce grand-children I'd likely quit talking to them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top