Seriously?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was born there

It's a fucking hole

Thomas the tank engine even lies about being from there.

Useful if you like hiding money though and don't want to deal with the fucking monte cristobalbians or whatever the fuck they are

Seriously?

Yes.  Are you in the market for a Manx kitten?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was born there

It's a fucking hole

Useful if you like hiding money though and don't want to deal with the fucking monte cristobalbians or whatever the fuck they are

Seriously?

Heh.

Honestly, I've always been fascinated with the place. What didn't you like about living there? Serious question.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Definitely a race from a bygone era. I'm amazed that Health/Safety haven't managed to have it cancelled by now.
View Quote
Definite lack of diversity also

white males will have 1 gear removed and 200lbs added to their bikes

women , LBGT , and  minority riders of course are exempt

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some serious respect for those racers. I have no idea how they do it
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've raced there.

Better than sex.
View Quote

oh?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm surprised members here haven't volunteered to race it.  We have a guy with a 190 mph 750 and someone else with a CBR that "outruns Hayabusas."  They'll win easily!
View Quote

ill say this.

I have a busa. It is very fast in the straights, but several of my friends that can ride (really ride) can smoke me on a mountain with a 600. Its very embarrassing .

The Isle racers would outrun me with a lawnmower
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've raced there.

Better than sex.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
As a former road racer and squid chaser from the late 70's and early 80's. (Think King Kenny, Reg Pridmore, Eddie Lawson, Wes Cooley, Fast Freddie, ect.) The IOM is the ultimate race in the world period. It was sad when Joey Dunlap was killed in Estonia, he was the king of IOM. Michael Dunlap is one hell of a rider and is current king.  

For those of you that don't understand and think it's barbaric you don't understand, you and say you rode the crap out of some bike but wouldn't do that you, were probably a squid, with nipples of shame. No one forces any rider to race IOM, it's a calling.

Unfortunately the AMA has pretty much killed racing here in the US. I can barely stand to even watch Daytona anymore.

Thank god for IOM. Irish road racing and MotoGP
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Heh.

Honestly, I've always been fascinated with the place. What didn't you like about living there? Serious question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was born there

It's a fucking hole

Seriously?

Heh.

I was just a little Lad.    But it was just economically and socially trapped in a world at least 20 years older.  My memories are mainly of everything being damp and grey.  A direct reflection on the island's nature at that time.  Things have supposedly become much better as the British economy came roaring back in the mid 1990's, as they were the main economic benefactors.

The Bee Gees left.  That's called a clue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was just a little Lad.    But it was just economically and socially trapped in a world at least 20 years older.  My memories are mainly of everything being damp and grey.  A direct reflection on the island's nature at that time.  Things have supposedly become much better as the British economy came roaring back in the mid 1990's, as they were the main economic benefactors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was born there

It's a fucking hole

Seriously?

Heh.

It's basically the Iowa of Europe...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Question for you Helo types, can most helo's keep up with those bikes going 170+ mph?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Question for you Helo types, can most helo's keep up with those bikes going 170+ mph?
View Quote

No

Scroll down for speeds.  Click "show next" top right for more.  170 mph = 148 knots

ETA:  http://helicopters.findthebest.com/compare/28-44-45-48-49-79-103-111-117-118/Eurocopter-AS350-vs-Robinson-R66-vs-Robinson-R44-RAVEN-II-vs-Robinson-R44-Newscopter-vs-Robinson-R44-RAVEN-II-POLICE-vs-AgustaWestland-AW139-vs-Airbus-EC130-T2-Ecureuil-vs-Airbus-EC175-vs-Bell-407GX-vs-Bell-412EPI
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Lol that's nuts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
pan style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
[span style='color: red;']I was born there[/span]

It's a fucking hole

Seriously?

Heh.

I was just a little Lad.    [span style='color: red;']But it was just economically and socially trapped in a world at least 20 years older.[/span]  My memories are mainly of everything being damp and grey.  A direct reflection on the island's nature at that time.  Things have supposedly become much better as the British economy came roaring back in the mid 1990's, as they were the main economic benefactors.

You're the Iowa of Europe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I love the IoM, but wish they would run it as a regular race, not a time trial.  If those crazy bastards can run the NorthWest 200, they can do a standard race at IoM.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
She wants to go for our honeymoon, it's a year or two out for us-the cost of a wedding and a TT trip just aren't in the cards for us right now. She's a huge Guy Martin fan and wants to see him race before he kills himself.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's their tiny brain rattling in their skull.

Badass to watch, and I'm sure it's a hell of a rush, but what a stupid way to die (as so many of them do).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every single one of those cats clank when they walk.

Badass to watch, and I'm sure it's a hell of a rush, but what a stupid way to die (as so many of them do).

Everyone dies eventually, not everyone Lives.

I'm always amazed at how people can be so fixated on preserving their life so it can be wasted drinking warm milk before bed time. Life is what happens while you wait for other things, whether that be retirement, the kids leaving home, etc. We only get so much time on earth, it seems a shame to waste it waiting for the right time to do the things that excite us and make us happy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love the IoM, but wish they would run it as a regular race, not a time trial.  If those crazy bastards can run the NorthWest 200, they can do a standard race at IoM.

http://youtu.be/bibjoepk8DQ
View Quote

nah, leave it as is.  tradition.

just like WRC  (one of my favorites), which is  Man vs Machine vs Course.

There will always be the "regular" races, and they all have their place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm surprised members here haven't volunteered to race it.  We have a guy with a 190 mph 750 and someone else with a CBR that "outruns Hayabusas."  They'll win easily!
View Quote

I've got a bike that would be competitive with proper suspension, race glass, and safety wiring job. I have had a WERA novice license in the past. I want absolutely nothing to do with going that fast on a public road.

I can scare the shit out of myself bad enough over here, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Every time I see a video of that, I want a bike

Then I get a patient that makes me not want a bike.

I'm back in the "want a bike" phase.
View Quote

My GF is fucking nuts about bikes right now, we've been together for 3 years and I think I have created a monster... it's all on her too, I don't want anything to do with her crashing a bike. She has two bikes, is just getting comfortable on the street and won't shut up about getting to a track day school.

She's an OR nurse and has done a ton of motorcycle accident surgeries.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have some serious respect for those racers. I have no idea how they do it
View Quote

Most of them do it for a living thru the year in Ireland (look of video for the Northwest 200 and Irish Road Racing), the TT is just the main event everyone wants to win. Hard to believe that people manage to race like this for their livelyhood, but they do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol that's nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Lol that's nuts.

Not really, helicopters just aren't very fast. Bikes on the other hand.... well..... we've had 170mph streetbikes for what.... 20-23 years now? Pretty much every 1000cc bike on the market will nudge 185 today and are electronically limited. They wouldn't be a whole lot faster without the nanny software as it takes huge power to go faster on something as aerodynamically dirty as a bike/rider, but they accelerate a WHOLE lot faster than they did 20 years ago and handle better than the AMA nationals winning bikes of the 1990's.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.  People here have claimed those things.  I told the 750 guy to come out to a closed airport top-speed event and he disappeared.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Always love the TT vids.  Balls of steel.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm always amazed at how people can be so fixated on preserving their life so it can be wasted drinking warm milk before bed time. Life is what happens while you wait for other things, whether that be retirement, the kids leaving home, etc. We only get so much time on earth, it seems a shame to waste it waiting for the right time to do the things that excite us and make us happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANK YOU!

You cannot truly live, until you look death in the face!

Been there, done that and welcome the day that sonuvabitch wins this game. He WILL win, but I will have the most points!  

Fuck you Grim Reaper, come and take it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes really.  People here have claimed those things.  I told the 750 guy to come out to a closed airport top-speed event and he disappeared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see a 750 that has been worked doing 190.

My FZ would top out at 140

My Caponord would top out at 136

My Sprint is pegged at 159.8

My WR426 goes a blistering 92 mph wringing its fucking neck.

All these are GPS, not speedometer.

To me you do not get to the "fast level" until about 125, 115-125 is "ok, this is interesting", 150 is "WTF am I doing this for?  "

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dual sport bikes with skinny tires and big dirt fenders get pretty interesting after 50mph.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#28]
My K1200LTc goes faster than I ever will.. I think I've hit 100.

I just want to go, enjoy the race and do a few laps on the legendary circuit....

...just like Nürburgring
you can get your car on and take a lap or three (for a small fee)
you can also see races or hire a car to take you around

It too is on my "list"
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

To me you do not get to the "fast level" until about 125, 115-125 is "ok, this is interesting", 150 is "WTF am I doing this for?  "

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need about 185rwhp on a typical sport bike to hit 190, a 750cc will really struggle to hit those numbers if it is normally aspirated. A healthy stock GSXR750 will make about 135 at the wheel and needs serious headwork/cams/compression/decking etc. to get past 150hp. These motors are already very good out of the box, not as much left in them as a bigger motor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm going before I die. That's just all there is to it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Hope Guy Martin wins when I'm there. He's fucking due.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#32]
id really REALLY like to take my 996 over there and go around the course. in my limited research, i dont know if i even can

been following that race for years. "greatest show on earth" is no shit....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I was seriously thinking of going to the IoM TT in '15 with one of my bikes to ride the course on "Mad Sunday", but right now I don't know how much longer my current job is going to last for (company is downsizing the office I work at and is offshoring a lot of the work I do).

The TT lasts for two weeks with practice/qualifying in the first week, then a rest day, and the actual races in the second week. That rest day is "Mad Sunday" when the race course is open to the public, with some restrictions.

The Isle of Man is politically part of the UK but has an odd legal status where they don't have to follow every law that applies to the UK mainland. The place has a lower tax rate than the rest of the UK and is a bit of a tax haven. Another difference is that there are no enforced speed limits on the Isle except in the villages/towns. There are stiff penalties for dangerous/careless driving if you cause an accident by travelling at excessive speed, but outside of the villages/towns, as long as you don't cause and accident, there are no speed traps on the isle.

As for the public riding the race course on Mad Sunday, speed limits in the villages/towns are enforced and the more dangerous parts of the course are slowed down by temporary barriers. The race orginisers don't attempt to stop people in cars foim driving the course so bikes and cars are mixed together, and the locals will be using the course as well since it's actually a public road.

While it's fairly common for a couple of people racing in the TT to die in crashes each year, in the past more spectators died trying to ride the course at speed than people competing in the races. Here's a vid of someone riding part of the 2014 course on Mad Sunday. Note all the traffic cones which close off a lane of the road in the tighter sections and force traffic to slow down. Also note the mist/fog that reduces visibility near the end of the vid. There are also multiple police cars parked along the side of the road, probably to deter people from going too fast in the slow sections
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su_rNhPLpCU
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You need about 185rwhp on a typical sport bike to hit 190, a 750cc will really struggle to hit those numbers if it is normally aspirated. A healthy stock GSXR750 will make about 135 at the wheel and needs serious headwork/cams/compression/decking etc. to get past 150hp. These motors are already very good out of the box, not as much left in them as a bigger motor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pretty sure the magic number is 187mph, that the mfgs. have agreed upon for max speed.

Ditch the speed limiter. rev limiter, play with gearing, head work, maybe some new jugs....its possible. Expensive as fuck all, but possible.

Off the showroom floor......fuuuuuuuck no!

160 is a bit nerving, but fun......but holy shit.....190.....thats pushing the stupid level pretty high.
I would try it out in Utah, but that is about it.

Shit comes up really fucking fast at 140 or so......190.....shit! I'd like to try that

Now this is coming from a 45 year old retard, who has driven or rode in all kinds of shit. I am not to bright

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

While it's fairly common for a couple of people racing in the TT to die in crashes each year, in the past more spectators died trying to ride the course at speed than people competing in the races. Here's a vid of someone riding part of the 2014 course on Mad Sunday. Note all the traffic cones which close off a lane of the road in the tighter sections and force traffic to slow down. Also note the mist/fog that reduces visibility near the end of the vid. There are also multiple police cars parked along the side of the road, probably to deter people from going too fast in the slow sections
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su_rNhPLpCU
View Quote

That's not why the cones are there.  That is the Ramsey hairpin and where the mountain section begins.  That is where the road goes from being two directions to one direction.  It does back to two directions at the Creg, thus the cones begin with plenty of warning to get people slowed down.  The mountain section is the only place on the island with no speed limit.  The cops are always sitting at each end of the mountain section.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Heh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was born there

It's a fucking hole

Seriously?

Heh.

The company I work for bought a company over there and absorbed it.  We maintain operations over there.  They have those bullshit Euro-commie government mandated work weeks where they aren't allowed to work more than a certain number of hours a week.  This means they leave at 12:30 on Friday and go to the pub.  Which is basically the ONLY thing to do there.  It sucks if it's 8 am in Ohio, and you really need to talk to an engineer over there.  Not going to happen.

It never gets really cold in the winter, or really hot in the summer.  Like all small island economies, if you want something that isn't produced there, it is expensive and isn't fresh.

The TT is the only thing of interest there, unless you like grass, sheep and rain.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#37]
True story...  Two of the engineers from our Isle of Man plant were over here for a couple months.  I took them to an IDPA match and a tactical rifle match.  One of the guys was really into airsoft over there.  As gay as it is, it's pretty much the only thing you can do over there.  He did surprisingly well in both the IDPA match and the tactical rifle match.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Dual sport bikes with skinny tires and big dirt fenders get pretty interesting after 50mph.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I had a brain fart the other day turned a block early  and got on I-80 on my CRF250L honestly though wasn't that bad rolling along at 75-80 for couple miles felt like riding a regular bike on grooved pavement

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I want to die of old age shitting and pissing myself!

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure the magic number is 187mph, that the mfgs. have agreed upon for max speed.
View Quote

My guess is that the limiting factor for stock bikes, or the "agreed upon" max is based on the tires.  There are probably not many road worthy tires available that can spin that fast.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:56:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a fairly wide range of excitement to be had between dying of old age, and hitting a stone wall at 180mph on a motorcycle.  I didn't mean to imply that the racers are stupid - to each his own.  But there is a point where the game change from seeing how fast you can go, to seeing how close to dying you can come.  If you value your life at all, that's a stupid game to play.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, they are complete morons, that's how they go 200+ mph through narrow streets.

Actually, since these guys are devoted to this race and love every second of it, I am pretty sure they would rather die doing something they have a passion for, than anything else. You die there, and you go out in a blaze of fucking glory at 200+ mph. Definitely a better way to go than most other ways.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:20:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Right, they are complete morons, that's how they go 200+ mph through narrow streets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, because you have to be really smart to go fast.    They must be crotch rocket scientists!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#45]
I think those bikes have a special cut out in the frame for the riders to put their giant sack in. Because they got them!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ditch the speed limiter. rev limiter, play with gearing, head work, maybe some new jugs....its possible. Expensive as fuck all, but possible.

Off the showroom floor......fuuuuuuuck no!

160 is a bit nerving, but fun......but holy shit.....190.....thats pushing the stupid level pretty high.
I would try it out in Utah, but that is about it.

Shit comes up really fucking fast at 140 or so......190.....shit! I'd like to try that

Now this is coming from a 45 year old retard, who has driven or rode in all kinds of shit. I am not to bright

View Quote

Yeah, 186mph is the agreed upon limit and is easily bypassed. They settled on that number because it's 300kmh in old money. Bypassing is done via an ECU reflash, and while you're in there you can also do things like get rid of the timing retard in the lower gears, extend the rev limit, control the STV's, remap the fueling etc. This is one of the last things I need to do to my bike-get rid of the timing retard.... The midrange is held back a lot in the first few gears. My bike currently makes 177hp at the rear, up from 159 and has fueling, quick shift and traction control handled by a Bazzaz unit. It's not as scary as it seems-I've ridden 250cc 2 stroke dirt bikes that scare me more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My guess is that the limiting factor for stock bikes, or the "agreed upon" max is based on the tires.  There are probably not many road worthy tires available that can spin that fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, you are really out of your lane... Good Z-rated tires will last longer than the life of the rider on the street if pushed to their limits. You might get one to blister if you had 10 miles of perfectly clear road to ride flat out. Sport touring tires these days have enough grip to allow sport bikes to lap the same speeds that would have won an AMA national race 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's on my 'list'.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, because you have to be really smart to go fast.    They must be crotch rocket scientists!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually you do. If you ever spent even 5 minutes around a road racer, let alone a roads racer like these guys, you know they are the thinking analytical type.

Bravado and testosterone can only get you so fast around a course. Look, it's pretty obvious you are too proud to be wrong about anything in this thread, maybe you ought to just find another one more in line with your kind of thinking?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top