Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You ever seen Joel Osteens houses?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lawls. the Pastor drives a Lincoln Navigator.  I didn't know you made money as a Pastor.

You ever seen Joel Osteens houses?
Old teen made his money from his book sales

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So how do you choose when they seem to disagree?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the OT seems to disagree with the New Covenant, always go with what sounds like the most satisfying.

Ummm Matthew  something, something "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
19"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…

If your interest rises to the level of being willing to spend the time reading, the books of Hebrews and Romans explain it very thoroughly.

If not, the nutshell version is in the quote that Shaffer posted.  Note that the law will not pass away "until all is accomplished." Christ's death on the cross accomplished all, thus doing away with the law. The Old Testament is basically the story of the Old Covenant, which was made with one nation, the kingdom of Israel. Christ instituted a New Covenant, which did away with the Old Covenant and was not for one nation, but for the whole world. New covenant, new rules.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And specifically regarding adultery, how did Jesus demonstrate the fulfillment of those covenants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the OT seems to disagree with the New Covenant, always go with what sounds like the most satisfying.

Ummm Matthew  something, something "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
19"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…

And specifically regarding adultery, how did Jesus demonstrate the fulfillment of those covenants?

Keep reading in Matthew 5.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But does that require he be alive when you forgive him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a thief is found breaking into a home, and he is struck so that he dies, no blood shall be spilled for him.

You should forgive a man not 7 times, but 70 times 7.

But does that require he be alive when you forgive him?

Agreed .... you forgive the man at his funeral !!!!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
lawls. the Pastor drives a Lincoln Navigator.  I didn't know you made money as a Pastor.
View Quote

Who owns the Navigator he was driving?

I know a Catholic Priest who drives ( very little I might add ) a new Cadillac every year.

Not bad for a man who has taken a vow of poverty.

He drives the new Cadillac .... but he has never owned one.

Every 12 months the car goes back to the dealer who owns it, and he is given another one.

I don't judge people by what they drive, but by what they do!!!!!

In this case ......... EX COPPER SHOOTS COPPER THIEF !!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

My pastor drives a Lincoln. He is bi-vocational and receives no paycheck from the church.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you contending that it's very Christian to shoot at a fleeing thief?

I don't think I would, and I'm an atheist. I can only imagine being Christian would make me even more forgivy.
View Quote

Shooting a fleeing thief is not a Christian thing to do. Being a Christian should indeed make one "even more forgivy" (I like that--forgivy ).

Furthermore, being a Christian (should) mean that we place more value on human life than on material property, however valuable or useful that property might be. After all, what is a thief but a person created in God's image, separated from his God by sin? In other words, is not the thief a sinner--just like me? While I might not steal copper, the Bible doesn't separate sins into categories according to magnitude. Either one sins or one does not sin, and all have sinned.

Finally, as a Christian, I would say that teaching the thief about Christ would be the Christian thing to do. If we as Christians are to concern ourselves with teaching the gospel to the world, we would do well to remember that you can't teach dead sinners.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hate copper thieves!!!
View Quote

"You'll never take me alive (with the) copper!"
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#9]
So apparently you can steal from people without fear of being shot if you keep your back to them while you do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Anchor rounds.

Praise Jesus.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Can we send bunch of white people there to burn town for them?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Some of the epic comments.

The rights of a free man defending his property is worth more than the life of any criminal. ~ Make it law.

Anything to the contrary and the laws should be changed immediately. Way too many laws protecting criminals.  Anyone who is in the act of committing a felony, should have no recourse due to injury or death suffered as a result, either!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is very simple: if you do not steal, you will not get shot.
View Quote

Give me an Amen!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I lost all the shits I had to give about this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Good shoot blah blah blah.

But if I had enough faith to proselytize, I couldn't own a weapon.

Yeah sell your cloak buy a sword. Blah blah blah.
But Jesus stayed those armed hands in the garden.  You really can't be both.
Not really. Either you believe the Lord will protect you or you don't.

Just my take. I openly admit I couldn't walk that path.  Everyone is always old testament blah blah blah.  But the point was to stop all the brutality.

I maintain my theory that if Jesus were here He would not be welcome in most churches.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If a thief is found breaking into a home, and he is struck so that he dies, no blood shall be spilled for him.
View Quote
Amen

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Guy at work got fired years ago for masturbating all day in his office, storing his own urine in jugs in his file cabinets.

Became a pastor and lives the good life now.  Perfect tan gets you everything apparently including the cliche Lincoln Navigator.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Give me that old time religion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Former cop and age 62.  Could be drawing a nice pension as well as having lived below his means for most of his life.

Therefore, it is not unreasonable to assume that he *gasp* saved his money!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If your interest rises to the level of being willing to spend the time reading, the books of Hebrews and Romans explain it very thoroughly.

If not, the nutshell version is in the quote that Shaffer posted.  Note that the law will not pass away "until all is accomplished." Christ's death on the cross accomplished all, thus doing away with the law. The Old Testament is basically the story of the Old Covenant, which was made with one nation, the kingdom of Israel. Christ instituted a New Covenant, which did away with the Old Covenant and was not for one nation, but for the whole world. New covenant, new rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly..."It is finished"
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My pastor drives a Lincoln. He is bi-vocational and receives no paycheck from the church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Pastor has a habit of putting his paycheck into the collecting plate.....this is his second career..he was a very successful home builder.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good shoot blah blah blah.

But if I had enough faith to proselytize, I couldn't own a weapon.

Yeah sell your cloak buy a sword. Blah blah blah.
But Jesus stayed those armed hands in the garden.  You really can't be both.
Not really. Either you believe the Lord will protect you or you don't.

Just my take. I openly admit I couldn't walk that path.  Everyone is always old testament blah blah blah.  But the point was to stop all the brutality.

I maintain my theory that if Jesus were here He would not be welcome in most churches.
View Quote

Do you understand what was happening at the time....He also said "Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?"
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top