Pretty good O line Emmitt ran behind.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best athlete of my lifetime.

If he had focused on football, nobody would know who Emmitt Smith is...or care.

When a Hall-of-Famer says, "Nobody went to use the head when Bo was at the plate," you know the guy was pretty special.

It's a shame that injury cut his exceptionalism short.

Which is exactly why Emmitt Smith is one of the greatest, if not the greatest RB of all time. Bo Jackson was an incredible athlete. Maybe even the greatest ever. But football separates the men from the boys. There's always a Bo or a Darren McFadden  or a KiJana Carter or Jamal Anderson or Larry Johnson or Priest Holmes or Jamal Lewis or even Tim Biakabatuka who show signs of greatness but unfortunately, this ain't flag football. Emmitt Smith was the definition of longevity. The average career for an NFL running back is less than 3 years and Emmitt is the all time leader in carries, yards and touchdowns plus 3 Super Bowl championships. What pisses me off the most is that nobody ever talks about the defenses that Emmitt Smith faced for over a decade. He ran for over 400 yards one year against a Philiadelphia defense that was one of the greatest of all time. Those Giants and Redskins "D's" were tops in the league year after year. Just think if Emmitt had played for Detroit and got to run against those awful Bucs and Vikings defenses twice a year. He probably would've finished with 20,000 yards.  

Pretty good O line Emmitt ran behind.  

Exactly, Cowboys fan here. Barry Sanders with the the Dallas offensive line blocking for him, forget about it. Everyone on those 90' Cowboy rosters was a star or one in the making. Just goes to show you, how much of an idiot Jerry Jones is by destroying the behemoth that Jimmy Johnson created, if Jimmy would of stayed, maybe four of four straight Superbowls, not three of four. Lets get back to Bo though, yes one of the most gifted and incredible athletes of the 20th century.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Because we all know how strong a team the Lions from the '90s were. I mean, they literally had house-hold names playing at every other position. First, there's Barry Sanders at RB, then there's....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no doubt that Emmitt ran behind a great offensive line and a great fullback but he ran against best defenses week after week. Super Bowl Champion defenses in the Redskins and Giants and that Philly "D" usually averaged 6/7 Pro Bowlers. Go back and look at Barry's game logs. He torched the Bucs and Vikings. Just awful defenses. His last season he had 343 carries with just 4 TD's. His backup had 6 TD's on just 18 carries. It's no wonder he quit. Check his game log in the playoffs when it counted. 13 carries for -1 yard.

Because we all know how strong a team the Lions from the '90s were. I mean, they literally had house-hold names playing at every other position. First, there's Barry Sanders at RB, then there's....

They had 4,000 yard passers, something Dallas never had. They had multiple receivers with over 100 catches, something no teams ever had. Don't you think that maybe....just maybe....all that passing stretched the defense and allowed the running game to be more productive. Nah, that's ridiculous. Obviously the linebackers and safeties were able to cover receivers running downfield and tackle the running back simultaneously. I wonder why no one else has ever been able to do it? Oh, that's right, because it's IMPOSSIBLE.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Edit double tap
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Best US athlete ever. Perennial all star in two sports easy. Who knows about numbers, nobody watched him for that, but I'd bet he would've had a good chance of being a two sport hall of famer.

A part of me died when he was injured. After the BoJack/MJ era I stopped caring about sports.

Watch the 30 for 30 episode on Netflix if you want to see the impression he has still made on people who were there to witness all these years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIqtDykn0l0
View Quote

I agree completely.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't underestimate the effect of having at minimum a capable QB and hall of fame receiver so defenses couldn't just pack the box to stop the running game.  Barry was the only threat the Lions ever had so defenses would put all their emphasis on stopping him.  He still could torch weaker defenses, but when a championship level defense puts all their emphasis on stopping one guy then of course he couldn't do much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he had focused on football, nobody would know who Emmitt Smith is...or care. It's a shame that injury cut his exceptionalism short.

Which is exactly why Emmitt Smith is one of the greatest, if not the greatest RB of all time. Bo Jackson was an incredible athlete. Maybe even the greatest ever. But football separates the men from the boys. There's always a Bo or a Darren McFadden  or a KiJana Carter or Jamal Anderson or Larry Johnson or Priest Holmes or Jamal Lewis or even Tim Biakabatuka who show signs of greatness but unfortunately, this ain't flag football. Emmitt Smith was the definition of longevity. The average career for an NFL running back is less than 3 years and Emmitt is the all time leader in carries, yards and touchdowns plus 3 Super Bowl championships. What pisses me off the most is that nobody ever talks about the defenses that Emmitt Smith faced for over a decade. He ran for over 400 yards one year against a Philiadelphia defense that was one of the greatest of all time. Those Giants and Redskins "D's" were tops in the league year after year. Just think if Emmitt had played for Detroit and got to run against those awful Bucs and Vikings defenses twice a year. He probably would've finished with 20,000 yards.  

Emmitt was running behind the biggest, fastest, and best offensive line in the history of the NFL. Sorry, but if you put Barry or Bo behind that OL, they'd have far exceeded what Emmitt did.

Don't underestimate the effect of having at minimum a capable QB and hall of fame receiver so defenses couldn't just pack the box to stop the running game.  Barry was the only threat the Lions ever had so defenses would put all their emphasis on stopping him.  He still could torch weaker defenses, but when a championship level defense puts all their emphasis on stopping one guy then of course he couldn't do much.

Wrong again. Scott Mitchell threw for more yards in a season than Troy Aikman ever did and Herman Moore caught more passes in a season than anyone ever had (until Marvin Harrison). Yet, somehow people always say Barry was the only threat Detroit ever had. They had 2 receivers catch over 100 balls IN ONE SEASON!! Most teams never even have 1 player do that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Never saw him play, did ya 14er?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Accomplished?  He was a sports personality, he probably would not have accomplished much at all.   Maybe sold more soap, or toothpaste?

Never saw him play, did ya 14er?  

He's thinking of Michael Jackson.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Him blasting Bosworth is one of my favorite moments of watching the NFL.

That and the Miami/San Diego playoff game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accomplished?  He was a sports personality, he probably would not have accomplished much at all.   Maybe sold more soap, or toothpaste?

What a sad comment in a thread about an incredible athlete.

Eta.

I was a Raider fan living in LA when he played. He was amazing to watch. As mentioned earlier, when he ran over Bosworth it was epic.

IIRC the saying " Just do it" was because of Jackson.

Didn't Bozworth call Bo out before the game?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wrong again. Scott Mitchell threw for more yards in a season than Troy Aikman ever did and Herman Moore caught more passes in a season than anyone ever had (until Marvin Harrison). Yet, somehow people always say Barry was the only threat Detroit ever had. They had 2 receivers catch over 100 balls IN ONE SEASON!! Most teams never even have 1 player do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently, after every reception, the receiver brought the ball back to huddle so Scott could eat it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a sad comment in a thread about an incredible athlete.

Eta.
I was a Raider fan living in LA when he played. He was amazing to watch. As mentioned earlier, when he ran over Bosworth it was epic.
IIRC the saying " Just do it" was because of Jackson.

I remember Bosworth calling him out, but I don't remember if it was before that game
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#10]
It's said he barely trained and went on pretty much natural ability alone.

A freak for sure, but I can't help but think if he was in a serious training regiment he wouldn't have gotten hurt so easily, and would have been even better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I think he was the greatest athlete ever. A freak of nature. Who know's what could have been..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Best I've ever seen.  I still need to get a picture from my parents' house in Memphis and post it here, that was taken at the home of KC Royals owner of Bo and me.  I was a rising junior in high school, and a good football player...I was in really good shape...and as all high school football players think - "man I'm big."  I was 5'9" 155lbs and Bo picked me up out in front of him under my arms and held me over his head...much like you might pick up a six month old toddler.  He never grunted, strained, or shook, and I'm positive my weight affected him no more in that position than perhaps a magazine would affect me.  Unbelievable power.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Best athlete ever, IMHO.

Honorable Mention:

Jim Thorpe
Deion Sanders
Michael Jordan
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The best comparison I've seen about Emmitt -vs- Barry was a quote from a commentator who said, "If you need 5yds, you hand it to Emmitt.  If you're hoping for 15yds, give it to Barry."

Emmitt's OL during the 90's was probably the best group at those positions in NFL history when it came to run blocking.  They could basically tell the defense what was coming and just dare them to stop it.  It's scary to think of how many yards Barry would have had behind that line.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Bo Jackson was my hero when I was a kid. Had posters, his baseball and football cards, jerseys, bought the shoes he wore; I wasn't the biggest sports fan but he was just so damn awesome at everything it motivated me to be as good as I could be. Still regard the guy as one of the most naturally talented athletes of all time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I was a huge fan of Bo.

Also, my parents bought me a pair of the Bo Jackson crosstrainer shoes for Christmas one year. Which, was a big deal as they were not big on spending money on such things.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He's a member here
View Quote

Really? That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#19]
HoF in baseball and football
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The best comparison I've seen about Emmitt -vs- Barry was a quote from a commentator who said, "If you need 5yds, you hand it to Emmitt.  If you're hoping for 15yds, give it to Barry."

Emmitt's OL during the 90's was probably the best group at those positions in NFL history when it came to run blocking.  They could basically tell the defense what was coming and just dare them to stop it.  It's scary to think of how many yards Barry would have had behind that line.
View Quote

I disagree. If that offensive line was so great at run blocking, why then did Emmitt Smith only average 4.2 yards per carry and all other Cowboy RB's only average 4.0? If Barry Sanders would've been so great behind an offensive line, why did Tommy Vardell score 12 touchdowns on ONLY 40 carries? Because the coaches knew that Barry Sanders was more likely to lose yards than score and that when you got down to the red zone, Barry Sanders wasn't going anywhere. He was the most electrifying player we've ever seen but Emmitt Smith put Dallas on his shoulders and carried them to championships. Go back and look at what he did in overtime of the last game of the 1993 season to win the division with a separated shoulder. Unbeliveable. Barry Sanders made a career of torching awful defenses and making people look stupid while racking up a ton of yards but that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When a Hall-of-Famer says, "Nobody went to use the head when Bo was at the plate," you know the guy was pretty special.

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

All way better. If Smith had played for Detroit he never would have cracked 12,000 yards because of how awful Detroit's offensive line was for a decade.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

All way better. If Smith had played for Detroit he never would have cracked 12,000 yards because of how awful Detroit's offensive line was for a decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

I had a conversation with a former NFL linebacker who played for the 49'ers that played against  Bo, Barry, Emmitt, and Payton.   He said Bo would have been the greatest ever if he had not gotten hurt because he had everything (size power speed).  He ranked those 4 this way:

1. Bo
2. Barry
3. Walter
4. Emmitt
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

You can play all the what if games you want. I'll continue to live in the real world where facts matter. Jerry Rice is the all time leader in receptions, yards, and touchdowns to go along with 4 Super Bowl rings. Even though he played on great teams with great hall of fame teammates, he's the greatest receiver of all time. Nobody says well what if Tim Tebow was his quarterback instead of Montana/Young. The same goes for #22. All time leader in carries, yards and touchdowns to go along with 3 Super Bowl rings. If there was a QB who held every record and several championships as well, he would most likely get the nod as the greatest ever.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Bo is awesome.  Maybe the greatest athlete whose ever lived in America. And he is very humble and not an asshole. I got to meet him in Kuwait.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Not saying he is better than Bo, but Marcus Dupree had a bright future that was pretty much robbed from him by a greedy ass fake preacher/agent.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You can play all the what if games you want. I'll continue to live in the real world where facts matter. Jerry Rice is the all time leader in receptions, yards, and touchdowns to go along with 4 Super Bowl rings. Even though he played on great teams with great hall of fame teammates, he's the greatest receiver of all time. Nobody says well what if Tim Tebow was his quarterback instead of Montana/Young. The same goes for #22. All time leader in carries, yards and touchdowns to go along with 3 Super Bowl rings. If there was a QB who held every record and several championships as well, he would most likely get the nod as the greatest ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

I am a big fan of Emmitt both personally and professionally. Even Emmitt says Barry was better. Had Sanders not retired when he did he without a doubt would have held the rushing title.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am a big fan of Emmitt both personally and professionally. Even Emmitt says Barry was better. Had Sanders not retired when he did he without a doubt would have held the rushing title.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

There is no doubt that had Barry continued that he would've gained more yards and broken Payton's record. However, that doesn't mean Emmitt wouldn't have broken it anyway. Barry played a full career and finished with 99 rushing touchdowns. Emmitt finished with 164. Not even close. Not even comparable. Why yards means more than points to so many people, I'll never understand. It's only that way in the Emmitt Smith debate. Emmitt Smith scored more TD's than HOFer's Jim Brown and O.J. Simpson COMBINED! More touchdowns than HoFer's Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas COMBINED! Yet somehow, that doesn't matter. Barry Sanders got benched every time they got to the goal line just like that kid in Varsity Blues and nobody says anything. Well if Barry could run up the middle then maybe he wouldn't have gotten benched and maybe he would've scored more and maybe they could've won a playoff game. But instead, he ran 13 imes for -1 yard. I remember that game like it was yesterday but somehow nobody else does.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is exactly why Emmitt Smith is one of the greatest, if not the greatest RB of all time.

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

Agreed. BTW, out of those three, I'd have chosen Walter Payton to be my back. Payton, IMO, was better than Sanders. He ran with speed, power, could pass block, and score from the 1 yard line better than most. Payton and Earl Campbell are my top two RBs ever.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is exactly why Emmitt Smith is one of the greatest, if not the greatest RB of all time.

No. Just no.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown

Agreed. BTW, out of those three, I'd have chosen Walter Payton to be my back. Payton, IMO, was better than Sanders. He ran with speed, power, could pass block, and score from the 1 yard line better than most. Payton and Earl Campbell are my top two RBs ever.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost: Peyton Manning.

One Championship, three Super Bowl Appearances, and will own all the big records when he's done. Nobody calls him the greatest QB ever.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not saying he is better than Bo, but Marcus Dupree had a bright future that was pretty much robbed from him by a greedy ass fake preacher/agent.
http://youtu.be/Lb4YJ1HaAP0
View Quote

He's one guy that could have eclipsed Bo as a running back. He was ridiculous. The ESPN special about him was pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I actually think Herschel Walker could have easily been in the conversation for best pro RB/ all purpose back ever, especially production wise if he hadn't gone to the USFL first.  He was voted by ESPNU as the greatest college RB ever, and he was obviously a physical freak- 220 lbs and probably as fast or faster than Bo.  If not for his psychological issues he had to overcome, that guy would be at the top of the list of a lot of categories.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I actually think Herschel Walker could have easily been in the conversation for best pro RB/ all purpose back ever, especially production wise if he hadn't gone to the USFL first.  He was voted by ESPNU as the greatest college RB ever, and he was obviously a physical freak- 220 lbs and probably as fast or faster than Bo.  If not for his psychological issues he had to overcome, that guy would be at the top of the list of a lot of categories.
View Quote

I hear you, and I loved Herschel.  I was an I-Formation tailback and loved #34, and tried to emulate him...but no, you are wrong.  Bo's stats are MUCH gaudier.  He was substantially faster than Herschel...and Walker was fast enough to be on the US 4x100 relay.  Bo was the most natural athletically gifted person I have ever seen, and likely ever will see.  Bo was not only faster, he could cut far better than Hershel.  Herschel was a beast his freshman year at UGA, then he started looking for the sidelines his sophomore and junior year...same thing in the pros.

Aside from Bo, the next best I have seen in no particular order were:

Chuck Webb (on par with even Bo)
Marcus Dupree (on par with Bo)
Herschel
Tony Dorsett
Jamal Lewis...might have actually been the best.  He was a man among boys in terms of speed and power and ability.  UT never even got a full season out him since he got limited a limited number of reps as a freshman until the 4th game of the season, and was hurt early in his sophomore season.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Robbed of a career?  Gayle Sayers!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

One Championship, three Super Bowl Appearances, and will own all the big records when he's done. Nobody calls him the greatest QB ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guarantee if Peyton wins 3 Super Bowls and has all the records nobody is going to argue that he's the greatest ever. He's still playing and has only 1 championship and has been prone to choking in the playoffs which is why he doesn't get more credit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

He was probably the best all around athlete of my youth. Still the only player to this day that played in the MLB All star game and the NFL pro bowl.

He was truly the player to watch.

But he wasn't around long enough to make the hall of fame.

And if you used the Raiders in Tecmo bowl, is was almost like cheating his character was so fast.
View Quote

Raiders were second best team.  Bears dominated Tecmo bowl.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Robbed of a career?  Gayle Sayers!
View Quote

Robbed of a career? Corey Dillon! That guy had more games with 100 yards at halftime than anybody I've ever seen. Problem was, the Bengals sucked so bad that he never got any second half carries because they'd be down by 3 scores and would have to pass every down.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#38]
What would Bo have accomplished if he hadn't been hurt early in his career?

Bo would have figured out how to shoot both 9mm AND .45 out of the same gun.

Bo would have figured out how to have beans and NOT have beans in his chili at the same time.

Bo would have figured out how to have NY pizza and Chicago pizza served in the same pizzeria.

He would be...the most interesting man in the world.  

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Whoever it was above who said, "Barry played a full career..".

No, he didn't. Sanders had several seasons left in him when he walked away from the game. And as also said already, even Emmitt says he thinks Barry would hold the yardage record if he'd kept playing.

All that aside, remember that Raider team had Bo AND Marcus Allen in the backfield. Crazy!

And I'll throw a shout out to Eric Dickerson since I don't think he's been mentioned in the thread. Not the greatest, but a great one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I guarantee if Peyton wins 3 Super Bowls and has all the records nobody is going to argue that he's the greatest ever. He's still playing and has only 1 championship and has been prone to choking in the playoffs which is why he doesn't get more credit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not going to win two more. Time isn't on his side. Same goes for Brady. As much as I would like to see Brady win another one, history and the law of averages say he might have one more shot.

As far as Peyton goes, even if he does win one more, scant few people will be converted to the "PM is the best QB ever" camp.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#41]
And as far as "greatness" is concerned, you young pups probably never saw Earl Campbell. Nobody has run with more power since; not even Bo. Bo was a little faster and might have cut better, but Campbell was as fast as most and delivered the lumber like no other before or since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui844C3TQVI

My top three RBs are:

Walter Payton
Earl Campbell
Bo Jackson
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, Jackson was definitely one of those very special athletes.

Kinda like a Babe Ruth who would have made the Hall of Fame as a pitcher if they didn't make him switch to a Hall of Fame hitter.

You just don't see guys like that very often.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Although he may have ruined it completely after what he did in last years SB
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#44]
He would have been the last American to walk on the moon.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top