OR

"Dedicated tow rig."  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything 4x4 with around 100,000 miles is going for 15-18k.  

Problem identified.  

You know what we call 4x2 pickups?

"Waste of money"

OR

"Dedicated tow rig."  

If you live in the part of the country where winter ice and snow are rare and you can stay on pavement, a 4x2 makes a lot of sense for just having something to haul things around in.  If you live in snow country and go off pavement a lot, 4x4 gets to be a requirement. Plus as you pointed out, 4x2 is great for tow rigs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you live in the part of the country where winter ice and snow are rare and you can stay on pavement, a 4x2 makes a lot of sense for just having something to haul things around in.  If you live in snow country and go off pavement a lot, 4x4 gets to be a requirement. Plus as you pointed out, 4x2 is great for tow rigs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem identified.  

"Waste of money"

OR

"Dedicated tow rig."  

Meh. My philosophy is better to have and not need than need and not have.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Average price of a used truck is said to be around of $28000
View Quote

Thats what I want to hear. I have a 2003 Tundra with 65,000m on it. I expect to be around 100k miles in 10 years when I plan to retire. I want what I paid for it in trade, $27k. I figure with inflation driving prices up if its in good shape it might just work out. Hoping driving it lightly for 22 years will cost me nothing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

didnt realize the 5.4 was a shit motor. thanks for the heads up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay far, FAR away from anything with a 3 valve 5.4. They like to die at around 130k.

Anything 2011 or newer will have the newer engines.

LOL, we have a bunch in the fleet nearing 200K, I'd better break the news to them.

I wish it were otherwise, but I speak from experience.  $6600 for a new engine last year at 128k

Yeah, Ford designed them with tiny ass oil passages that can be clogged by the smallest shaving. If the previous owner didn't religiously change the oil AND use the motorcraft oil filters, they will eventually develop a top end tick because the passenger side head dosen't get the oil it needs. Then you have the shitty cam phasers that go bad... Which if that happens past 120k, you may as well replace the motor rather than just the phasers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thats what I want to hear. I have a 2003 Tundra with 65,000m on it. I expect to be around 100k miles in 10 years when I plan to retire. I want what I paid for it in trade, $27k. I figure with inflation driving prices up if its in good shape it might just work out. Hoping driving it lightly for 22 years will cost me nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i highly doubt that will happen.

if a 22 year old truck sold for 25k and that is the new norm then we are in serious shit
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

03 Tundra with under 100k? Its probably worth 30k as it sits right now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, Ford designed them with tiny ass oil passages that can be clogged by the smallest shaving. If the previous owner didn't religiously change the oil AND use the motorcraft oil filters, they will eventually develop a top end tick because the passenger side head dosen't get the oil it needs. Then you have the shitty cam phasers that go bad... Which if that happens past 120k, you may as well replace the motor rather than just the phasers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay far, FAR away from anything with a 3 valve 5.4. They like to die at around 130k.

LOL, we have a bunch in the fleet nearing 200K, I'd better break the news to them.

I wish it were otherwise, but I speak from experience.  $6600 for a new engine last year at 128k

what about the smaller motor f150s in the similar years. Are the 4.6 v8s (think its a 4.6) just as bad?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cash for Clunkers beat the shit out of the used car market.
View Quote

yep.
trucks have always maintained value, on top of that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've almost always bought used vehicles throughout my lifetime of driving but after looking at all the overpriced used vehicles on the market at top dollar, I decided that new was probably the better deal because the savings didn't justify the gamble of buying a used vehicle that may have hidden expensive repairs that needed to be done on it.

When you find couple year old models with 40K on the odo that you are looking at for just a few grand less then new, it's kind of a no brainer which one represent a better value.
View Quote

my 2014 Silverado was about $33K after discounts and dealing. The 2012 Silverado I traded on it ( 38K miles, had been in an accident) was worth about $27K retail. For about the same payment, I got a new, smoother riding, much better equipped truck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

what about the smaller motor f150s in the similar years. Are the 4.6 v8s (think its a 4.6) just as bad?
View Quote

I'm not sure. But the 4.6 is an absolute dog. The 5.4 is underpowered as it sits, the 4.6 lugging all that weight around is gonna be even worse.

I'm a Ford guy, but if you want an 04-11 year model truck, (I can't believe I'm saying this ) buy a chevy. Or buy a 250 with the 6.Oh No that's been bulletproofed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

there is a dealer only auto auction house down the road from me. Every Wednesday night 100+ cars and trucks are sold and 3/4 are to mexicans to get all hitched together and hauled "south." Local dealers can't come close to paying what the Mexicans are willing to pay. This is rural Iowa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the huge numbers of pickups taken across the border into Mexico in the past ten years.  Delivery drivers for Freightliner and Navistar transport trucks from Laredo to dealers all over the country then buy a couple of good used pickups, SUVs or vans, hook them together and drive back to Laredo then sell them to Mexican used car dealers who take them across the border and sell them.

That has really made a big dent into the supply of good used pickups available for lower prices all over the country instead of just the border states like before the truck makers moved production to Mexico and this opportunity opened up.

there is a dealer only auto auction house down the road from me. Every Wednesday night 100+ cars and trucks are sold and 3/4 are to mexicans to get all hitched together and hauled "south." Local dealers can't come close to paying what the Mexicans are willing to pay. This is rural Iowa.

yes, we see the caravans heading south on I-35.
So does the DPS...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a 2001 dodge ram with a leaking heater core, leaking evaporator, and cracked to shit dash, shitty paint, etc..... Was looking to get another used truck to avoid dumping any money into this one, but with prices the way they are and since I only use a truck for hauling, I'm just going to dump a grand or so in it and fix it all myself before the cold weather kicks in.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a 2001 dodge ram with a leaking heater core, leaking evaporator, and cracked to shit dash, shitty paint, etc..... Was looking to get another used truck to avoid dumping any money into this one, but with prices the way they are and since I only use a truck for hauling, I'm just going to dump a grand or so in it and fix it all myself before the cold weather kicks in.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
And go try to trade one in at a dealer and hear about how they'll only be able to give you 3500 for it lol.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It's the financing, when you can get 60 months on a used car/truck it's going to drive up the prices. There are way to many dumb fucks that only car about the monthly payment.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a 2013 F-150 4X4 5.0 that I'm thinking about selling.  Has 35K on it.

Who will start the bidding?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem identified.  

"Waste of money"

OR

"Dedicated tow rig."  

And the 4x4 will actually be worth something when it's time to sell.  Offroaders want them.  Plow guys want them.  Brodozers want them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seventeen dollars and eight cents.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
As been mentioned, Cash for Clunkers has very little to do with the used truck market.  In fact, I would argue it has nothing to do with the current market. Used truck prices have gone up simply because new truck prices have skyrocketed.  Priced a new truck lately?  I remember a recent post showing a loaded Ford F450 was damn near $90k.  $90k!!  Combined with the fact that the economy has been in the crapper for several years, it means more people are holding on to their vehicles for longer.  Not only that, but there is a big demand for used trucks...big demand always equals higher prices.  Check the prices on some of the pre-DPF diesel trucks, its amazing what they are bringing on the market.  

That being said, there are still deals out there, but you have to be patient.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ill raise to 87 dollars and 87 cents
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhhh, we have ourselves a shill bidder. No self respecting buyer would offer more then a .87 cent increase.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
crazy, huh?  I've wanted a truck for the last few years but they are far from cheap.  Like you have observed, if you find one for 15K, it's because it has over 100K in miles.  

Don't get me started on brand new vehicles...ouch!
View Quote

Not sure where in USA you reside, out here we drive our trucks, a lot. ALL YEAR ROUND. Some folks idea of off road is pulling in to walmarts parking lot. Yee Ha.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the 3V 5.4, the 2V is GTG
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"Waste of money"

OR

"Dedicated tow rig."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem identified.

"Waste of money"

OR

"Dedicated tow rig."

You know what we call people who will pay any price for a 4X4?

"Suckers".
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuel efficiency mandates and curb-feeler crap that the government is requiring on new trucks adds a lot to the cost.   This drives people to buy used, which drives up the price of used trucks.

It also probably doesn't help that fewer and fewer people have any clue how to work on their own vehicles anymore.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

f250s are going for insane prices as well.  all diesels.  at least from my little bit of research
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm about to sell my 2005 F250.
I hope it's worth some money.

f250s are going for insane prices as well.  all diesels.  at least from my little bit of research

Heck gas burners aren't much better.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its the low miles. I am trying to sell a older work truck. With 200k miles nobody is interested at the price I'm asking.
View Quote

FIFY.  Lower your asking enough and you'll have people all over it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I looked for months for a half ton truck. I was looking in the 05-08 range and every one I looked at was over 15 grand. Most chevys I found had 150 thousand plus miles on them and they were still asking over $13000. I finally settled on an 05 F150. I paid 15,900 out the door on it and its completely cherry with 90 thousand miles on it. Absolutely perfect like an old guy drove it to bingo. I did pretty good considering they gave me 8000 trade on my 01 F250, V10 with 150000 miles on it. Used 4x4s are a hard bargain. Once you find the one you want you have to hop on it before the dealership sells it to the sales managers nephew.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I was also looking at an 96 ram 1500. It had a bad wobble from the rear end. I drove it home and found out the next morning one of the rear tires had separated with the belts showing through. They would only replace the bad tire and were still charging me the same price when all the tires were bald. They wanted 17000 for it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

And old car parts market as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"Suckers".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem identified.

"Waste of money"

OR

"Dedicated tow rig."

"Suckers".

Oh I agree.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that happens, hopefully you're not planning on buying anything (like food) in retirement.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm about to sell my 2005 F250.
I hope it's worth some money.
View Quote

Not if it's got the 6.0
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#36]
My Brother in law just traded in his 2012 Tacomo with 26,000 miles on it for a BMW (gas mileage for new job was killing him). He paid $29,xxx they gave him $28,xxx for it and told him they expect it to sell for around $30k. He told them that was more than he paid for it new and they told him to go price a 2015 out.  

Moral of the story - new truck prices are driving the market not cash for clunkers, though I think that entire thing was  one of the dumbest stunts ever  pulled in the car industry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:22:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I was looking for something like an F250 back in 09.  The prices were crazy.

I ended up buying a used Excursion Limited, which, at the time was about $5-6k cheaper than a like year F250 with similar mileage.

Any time I use it for "pick up" truck style duties, I just hitch my 5x10' trailer to it.

I think you can still get mid 00's "full size" SUV's for more reasonable prices than pick up trucks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:25:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was looking for a low mileage used pickup to replace my worn out 2005 Dakota and found I could get a brand new truck for about 5K more. It made no sense to buy used then.
View Quote

I think you might be on to something here.

If I am XYZ Big Dealer in town and I want $30K for my used trucks (a new one is $35k) and you are joe blow trying to sell your used truck the first thing you do is market analysis.  XYZ is selling this truck for $30k and it has a few less miles than mine I'm going to ask.......$28K and see what happens. This drives up the price of all vehicles (Price Inflation).

XYZ Big Dealer prices his trucks like this so that people will say exactly what you did....hell, I can get a new one for only $5k more and with "zero percent" financing it's a no brainier. They keep the used vehicles they can do this with and "wholesale" or action off the rest.

Dealers need to move new vehicle inventory so that UAW pensions can keep going out. Dealers don't make money on new...they make money on used.....offer you $10K for your beater and sell it for .......$30K .  Dealers make money on new vehicle financing which keep the gerbel wheel spinning.

In the end though it is supply and demand.....it always is.  

Did I make it in before "OP hates free markets and capitalism" ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:25:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's exactly what I did. Did both hubs, ball joints and trac bar. Going to run her till she dies.  Fuck financing, dealer suckoffs and used market for junk prices.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My Brother in law just traded in his 2012 Tacomo with 26,000 miles on it for a BMW (gas mileage for new job was killing him). He paid $29,xxx they gave him $28,xxx for it and told him they expect it to sell for around $30k. He told them that was more than he paid for it new and they told him to go price a 2015 out.  

Moral of the story - new truck prices are driving the market not cash for clunkers, though I think that entire thing was  one of the dumbest stunts ever  pulled in the car industry.
View Quote

You can hit 40 grand in a Taco pretty easy. Add in a few odds and ends and an extended warrenty and by the time you pay taxes and such, you're at 45K.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:39:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have a 2010, 5.4, turned 180000 yesterday, never been in the shop. 3 sets of tires, oil change every 4000 miles.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I was looking at new Fords the other day and the sticker on a top end F150 with 4x4 was close to 60 Gs. I think you can pretty reliably take 10gs off sticker. When you consider that, the used prices don't seem so bad.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I bought a 13 F150 that stickered at 43k back in December for 30500. Put 16k miles on it but got tired of the payments and the shitty transmission that ford said nothing was wrong with. Traded it in on an 04 Tundra crewcab 4wd in great shape with 120k miles. Dealer gave me 29,500 in trade on the ford, and I got the Tundra for 11500. Love the Tundra. Fuck car payments.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For a long time in my area, but this is a big pickup market.
View Quote

Same here
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top