Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2014 6:51:34 PM EDT

I was half assed looking around on craigslist at the last generation f150s (2004-late 00s) and shocked at the prices I'm seeing.

Unless its a work truck model/stick and beat to shit the prices are pretty damn high.  Anything 4x4 with around 100,000 miles is going for 15-18k.

How long has it been like this?  My last vehicle was a silverado but I downsized to something more fuel efficient and don't recall the market being like this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
For a long time in my area, but this is a big pickup market.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Cash for Clunkers beat the shit out of the used car market.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
crazy, huh?  I've wanted a truck for the last few years but they are far from cheap.  Like you have observed, if you find one for 15K, it's because it has over 100K in miles.  

Don't get me started on brand new vehicles...ouch!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

did it really have that big of an impact?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Prices shot way up after cash for clunkers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Where have you been OP?

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Prices for truck have been high for many years . The influx of illegals helps keep prices up as well on trucks and vans ,.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 3 year old truck worth almost the same as it was new. Not joking.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Its the low miles. I am trying to sell a older work truck. With 200k miles nobody is interested.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Also markets very. I cannot believe how much a truck goes for in TX.  When I need to buy my next truck I will probably by it in neighboring state and drive it back.

But yeah the cash for clunkers and economy in general drove up the used truck market.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I was looking for a low mileage used pickup to replace my worn out 2005 Dakota and found I could get a brand new truck for about 5K more. It made no sense to buy used then.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  It was a terrible idea that cost the taxpayers big, but it is not a large contributor to high used car prices.  I'm going from memory here, but something like 15 million new cars were sold in the '06 time frame.  In '09 it was 9 million.  Ergo, a lot of buyers were hitting the used market, and prices skyrocketed due to simple demand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Some are far worse than others.

Used Toyota truck and SUV prices are quite frankly ridiculous compared their competitors. I know...going rate and all, but people think they're gold. Nissan is real close in reliability and offers a competitive line.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I've almost always bought used vehicles throughout my lifetime of driving but after looking at all the overpriced used vehicles on the market at top dollar, I decided that new was probably the better deal because the savings didn't justify the gamble of buying a used vehicle that may have hidden expensive repairs that needed to be done on it.

When you find couple year old models with 40K on the odo that you are looking at for just a few grand less then new, it's kind of a no brainer which one represent a better value.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some are far worse than others.

Used Toyota truck and SUV prices are quite frankly ridiculous compared their competitors. I know...going rate and all, but people think they're gold. Nissan is real close in reliability and offers a competitive line.
View Quote

yeah. i spent about five minutes looking at used tacomas
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Truck prices all over the country are retarded.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New truck prices have also gone way up too. That translates to higher used prices as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm about to sell my 2005 F250.
I hope it's worth some money.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a 3 year old truck worth almost the same as it was new. Not joking.
View Quote

No shit!
2011 tundra that I beat the dealer up pretty good over.
Truck is paid off and worth about $4000 under what I paid
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, only about as much as Obamacare had on the healthcare industry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nothing new, at least around here. Used pickup trucks have always been priced out of line with other vehicles. These days the most popular vehicle around is a full size 4X4 extended cab, especially four doors. Surprisingly you don't find a lot of deals on the single most popular vehicle on the market.

No, it wasn't cash for clunkers, you can still buy worn out Cherokees cheap, and those were traded in during Cash For Clunkers more than any other vehicle.

ETA: Lots of other factors come into play as well. The housing market had a huge impact on new car sales, prior to the crash millions of people were refinancing and taking cash out twice a year, often buying a couple of brand new cars every time. Nearly a decade of increasingly less secure employment for millions and an ever growing number of people unemployed (but off the rolls as unemployed), and tens of millions of people who are well employed but either nervous about job security or the economy in general have all combined to cause people to put off buying new cars, and often buying used cars instead of new when they absolutely have to purchase a car.

Of course it is much easier to believe that Cash for Clunkers is to blame.
View Quote

Go price a couple year old Jeep in good shape with reasonable miles on it. Heck, go price a 10-15 year old POS for that matter....................
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

f250s are going for insane prices as well.  all diesels.  at least from my little bit of research
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#24]
example:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4613508267.html

260,000 miles, 10 years old. $8,500
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

f250s are going for insane prices as well.  all diesels.  at least from my little bit of research
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang.
Mine is the 5.4
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Good thing OP has not been looking for a Tacoma.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Prices for truck have been high for many years . The influx of illegals helps keep prices up as well on trucks and vans ,.
View Quote

This.

Big part of the problem in Houston.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anything 4x4 with around 100,000 miles is going for 15-18k.
View Quote

Problem identified.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to mention the huge numbers of pickups taken across the border into Mexico in the past ten years.  Delivery drivers for Freightliner and Navistar transport trucks from Laredo to dealers all over the country then buy a couple of good used pickups, SUVs or vans, hook them together and drive back to Laredo then sell them to Mexican used car dealers who take them across the border and sell them.

That has really made a big dent into the supply of good used pickups available for lower prices all over the country instead of just the border states like before the truck makers moved production to Mexico and this opportunity opened up.  I have to admit I admire their ingenuity about finding a way to earn money both ways on that trip and I'm sure that driving back a decent vehicle beats the hell out of riding a bus back to Laredo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've almost always bought used vehicles throughout my lifetime of driving but after looking at all the overpriced used vehicles on the market at top dollar, I decided that new was probably the better deal because the savings didn't justify the gamble of buying a used vehicle that may have hidden expensive repairs that needed to be done on it.

When you find couple year old models with 40K on the odo that you are looking at for just a few grand less then new, it's kind of a no brainer which one represent a better value.  
View Quote

THIS.    Looked at a 2012 Lincoln Navigator with just 16k miles for the wife.  They were asking within $5000 of a brand new Navigator loaded with more options.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Try finding a used Tacoma for a good price, these things hold a very good value.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not to mention the huge numbers of pickups taken across the border into Mexico in the past ten years.  Delivery drivers for Freightliner and Navistar transport trucks from Laredo to dealers all over the country then buy a couple of good used pickups, SUVs or vans, hook them together and drive back to Laredo then sell them to Mexican used car dealers who take them across the border and sell them.

That has really made a big dent into the supply of good used pickups available for lower prices all over the country instead of just the border states like before the truck makers moved production to Mexico and this opportunity opened up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That has really made a big dent into the supply of good used pickups available for lower prices all over the country instead of just the border states like before the truck makers moved production to Mexico and this opportunity opened up.

there is a dealer only auto auction house down the road from me. Every Wednesday night 100+ cars and trucks are sold and 3/4 are to mexicans to get all hitched together and hauled "south." Local dealers can't come close to paying what the Mexicans are willing to pay. This is rural Iowa.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Problem identified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem identified.

My last truck was 2wd..I'll never do that again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Stay far, FAR away from anything with a 3 valve 5.4. They like to die at around 130k.

Anything 2011 or newer will have the newer engines.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I need a new truck as well but the prices keep me from buying one.
Maybe I should just paint my old one and keep it for another ten years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#37]
My 2012 Titan 4x4x crew cab is worth as much as I gave for it brand new, I got a great deal on it but still
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Diesel? You're gonna take a hit because its a 6.Oh No.

V8? It's a dog, but someone might buy it.

V10? Sucks gas, but probably the most popular choice for that year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#40]
There are deals to be had in Texas.  It was well worth the plane ticket from Indiana for a 2011 f250.  Plus no salt if you live up north.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

whats a new 4x4 cost now?  that's part of the problem, less people can afford new so the used supply becomes limited.  less supply, more demand, higher prices

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

example:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Stay far, FAR away from anything with a 3 valve 5.4. They like to die at around 130k.

View Quote

LOL, we have a bunch in the fleet nearing 200K, I'd better break the news to them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Problem identified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem identified.

You know what we call 4x2 pickups?

"Waste of money"

OR

"Dedicated tow rig."
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
whats a new 4x4 cost now?  that's part of the problem, less people can afford new so the used supply becomes limited.  less supply, more demand, higher prices

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At some point the worm turns, a few grand isn't going to stop someone from buying used over new and new cars tend to be easier to get loans for at lower interest rates which can make the payments pretty much the same as a used one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
example:

Oh shit, I'm sitting on a gold mine! I have one of those with 135k!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

LOL, we have a bunch in the fleet nearing 200K, I'd better break the news to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish it were otherwise, but I speak from experience.  $6600 for a new engine last year at 128k
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Average price of a used truck is said to be around of $28000
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wish it were otherwise, but I speak from experience.  $6600 for a new engine last year at 128k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

didnt realize the 5.4 was a shit motor. thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I was offered $25k trade value for our 08 Tahoe. Hadn't picked out anything either, that was their opening bid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top