Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought two new cars in high school. Dad owned a drilling company and I worked for him. I made damn good money. I paid with a check for both.

Meh. Some kids hit it hard and make their own money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not my monkey, not my circus.  
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really care what they drive-but I do care what my family drives.  I live in a small town and do not want to advertise myself into being a target of choice.  I could go to most dealerships and pay cash for whatever I want (ok, except for some exotics) instead I am driving a 10+ year old Saturn.     Don't expect I am going to give the kids something flashy and add color to my gray lifestyle.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Do you automatically think that they are spoiled?

ibtp
View Quote
I work at a private school and from experience, ABSOLUTELY

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Terminus El Dorado.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you automatically think that they are spoiled?

ibtp

Are they bad kids though?  That is the real question.  The normal behavior of those born into money looks like pampering to our eyes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope. Some people like to buy nice things. You don't know their situation, so there's no reason to jump to conclusions.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
After seeing the new cars in the student lot at school and knowing the kids, I know their parents are divorced and assume daddy is buying some affection.

It makes me kinda sad.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one attached to a sizeable loan (for a teenager) and also worked 30 hours a week after school. It was worth it back then though....I was socially inadept at the time and that car got me laid often. I wouldn't say that I was spoiled.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I always assume they're one of those whiz kids who invented some cool technological breakthrough that will hurl the rest of us into the future, so I usually honk my horn, shout congratulations and applaud them.

Of course, I could be wrong. They might be on some misadventure like Ferris Bueller or had a lot of plastic surgery done to give them such a youthful appearance.
eta: I'm kidding. I really don't care at all.

However, I knew a really spoiled kid when I was growing up and he told me about this one day toward the end of summer vacation, not long before he became a college sophomore. He called home to ask for a little assistance with his finances so that he could get settled into a nicer apartment and to acquire a few other necessities to make it like home. He requested 20K, which I gathered wasn't uncommon. His dad asked about his vacation and also expressed an interest in his grades. My friend explained that everything was great and that he'd already been getting a jump start on his studies. Then his dad asked where he was calling from and my friend told him that he was looking at a new place to stay at that very moment. His dad told him he was disappointed in his choice to relocate. My friend explained that it was all for the better and that he'd have less distractions in this new place. His dad called him on his shit right there and told his son he was aware the phone call was coming from Colombia and that if this cash request was for bail, it'd be the last of it. Well, it was and that was that. My friend did make it back to schoo just in time, but he had to take several classes over, he had to sell his prized, fancy car to pay for as much as it would cover and from that point on, he paid his own way through school. He changed from studying business to studying law and eventually established a humble practice writing contracts and such. He has a nice car again too. He and his son are fixing up an old 53 Buick that his kid can drive when he gets his license.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top