Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 12:35:14 AM EDT
You go into the corner store to grab a bag of chips and a soda.

When you approach the counter the attendant looks at you and asks if this purchase will be with food stamps?

For the purposes of this question lets assume you are employed, own a home etc.

Is this just indicative of the number of FSA out there or would you take it personally?

FWIW this happened to a "friend" of mine yesterday in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]
they should quit looking so poor then
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

When you approach the counter the attendant looks at you and asks if this purchase will be with food stamps?

Is this just indicative of the number of FSA out there or would you take it personally?

View Quote

Employment and home ownership are not indicative of non-FSA.  Plenty of welfare rats are still able to meet that criteria.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Employment and home ownership are not indicative of non-FSA.  Plenty of welfare rats are still able to meet that criteria.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So thats a no?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
they should quit looking so poor then
View Quote

Solid maybe?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If I was on food stamps I would be eating better than this
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

So thats a no as well?

Personally I probably would have been offended slightly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So thats a no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So thats a no?

I was at Walmart last week grocery shopping.  Was in line to check out behind two non-English speaking customers.  Had to wait an additional 10-15 minutes in line as the girl at the register did the paperwork for 9 cans of baby formula.  After they left, I asked the girl how much each of those cans cost and she said $16 each.  I said to her, "all for free, too, wasn't it?  Don't you love working and paying taxes?"  To which she replied, "That's what I hate the most..."  I was surprised, yet happy, that a girl her age (around 19) understood who and what her hard earned money was going to, and that is was wrong.

So yeah, if someone compared me to a drain on society, I would take it personally.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would that offend me?

I'd probably wouldn't be looking at real estate in that area though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Being a drain on society is typically not seen as a positive thing.

I agree about looking elsewhere for real estate.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was at Walmart last week grocery shopping.  Was in line to check out behind two non-English speaking customers.  Had to wait an additional 10-15 minutes in line as the girl at the register did the paperwork for 9 cans of baby formula.  After they left, I asked the girl how much each of those cans cost and she said $16 each.  I said to her, "all for free, too, wasn't it?  Don't you love working and paying taxes?"  To which she replied, "That's what I hate the most..."  I was surprised, yet happy, that a girl her age (around 19) understood who and what her hard earned money was going to, and that is was wrong.

So yeah, if someone compared me to a drain on society, I would take it personally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So thats a no?

Thats my line of thinking as well.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I'm not a member of the socioeconomic underclass, I have thick skin and don't look for every opportunity to feel butthurt.  When in the hood, expect hood customer service.  Corner store clerk probably asks it automatically, like a kid at McDonalds that asked me if I wanted my coffee "for here or to go?"
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd have laughed and said, "I fucking wish."
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:49:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Since I'm not a member of the socioeconomic underclass, I have thick skin and don't look for every opportunity to feel butthurt.  When in the hood, expect hood customer service.  Corner store clerk probably asks it automatically, like a kid at McDonalds that asked me if I wanted my coffee "for here or to go?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid no gotcha.

I did wonder if it was possible that the area just has a lot of FSA and it might just be commonplace to ask.

I am not sure that class has anything to do with the thickness of ones skin but thats probably another thread altogether.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:00:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I knew a multi-millionaire (back when that really meant something) that looked like a stumble bum.

He owned a antebellum plantation house (and a few thousand acre farm) and when the house burned down he lived out his days in one of the old slave quarters.

As far as I am concerned if someone does not think I own shit that is a plus for me.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Solid no gotcha.

I did wonder if it was possible that the area just has a lot of FSA and it might just be commonplace to ask.

I am not sure that class has anything to do with the thickness of ones skin but thats probably another thread altogether.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid no gotcha.

I live well within the hood, shootings and all, and I also walk down to the corner store often to buy shit I don't want to go to the grocery store for...  but I have never been asked that question before.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#16]
My response?

"No, thank you. I will be paying with my white privilege today."
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:28:45 AM EDT
[#17]
A good friend of mine is a farmer. He looks like like a farmer. Drives an older pickup, wears a dirty ball cap.

He's a millionaire. And his farm is also worth a million.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I accidentally tried to use the wrong "swiper" in Lower Alabama last week. The counter lady said (with a heavy southern accent), "Oh, you don't want that one, Honey...that one's for fooood stamps."
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:36:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Nope.  Wouldn't offend me. It's pretty hard to offend me
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine is a farmer. He looks like like a farmer. Drives an older pickup, wears a dirty ball cap.

View Quote

I bet he is cashing government checks and using government subsidized loans.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're in the area where grocery/convienence  stores have to ask if you will be using food stamps you're doing it wrong
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He might be, I don't know. But he sold a couple acres for people to build a couple houses. That made him about a million right there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#23]
No...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:01:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't get offended. Especially from an $8.00/ hr cashier. ;)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Would I be offended?  No.  It takes a lot to offend me.

Quoted:
View Quote

And this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you're in the area where grocery/convienence  stores have to ask if you will be using food stamps you're doing it wrong
View Quote

Grocery stores in Ct dont take EBT?

Here in Wa state pretty much every store grocery or not takes them proudly.

Apparently its common in Tx as well.

Whats an acre going for in Ct these days?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#27]
There are a lot of people in this economy who are drastically underemployed.

There are military families who qualify for EBT.

Not everyone who uses it is an FSA member.

No, I don't use them even though my wife and I probably qualified in the early days of my military service.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife worked at a grocery for years.

She says people with food stamps got more expensive gourmet type foods, than people who had to buy their own groceries.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I would have wondered what it was about me that made her assume that I was paying with food stamps so yes, I would probably be internally offended, but I wouldn't make a deal over it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top