User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Allow me to clarify:

1. Completely hypothetical scenario. There is no purse or money involved.

2. Legal ramifications, or the threat of legal ramifications are not a factor. I don't want to know that you would give the money back because the cops might dust the purse for fingerprints and then come arrest you.

Law is designed to protect the innocent from the criminal. Law is not a factor (for most of us) here. At best, "law" is a codification of society's precepts of right and wrong.

I say you're not stealing, so you're not stealing.

Pretty convenient, isn't it? If we write our own moral code, life becomes far, far easier. If, however, we bind ourselves to a 'social contract' (of which law is the codification), then we are obligated to follow that contract.
A man's (or woman's) character is defined by the actions he or she will take when no one is watching. Those of us who are moral and believe in a God believe that He is watching. Those of use who don't believe in God still know that we ourselves are watching... and judging... ourselves.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's say you find a purse. It is sitting on a bench all by itself and no one is around. You open the purse and find a driver's license with the owner's address and you find $5,000 in cash. You can take the money and no one will ever know that it was you.
Let's just go ahead and say that it is dishonest to keep the money. But, there is no chance that you will ever get caught, you're technically not stealing and who couldn't use $5,000?

So, do you keep the money, or do you return it to the owner?

If you return it, then why do you return it?

Wat??

You found it. You didn't grab it from her and run.

It's my scenario and if I say you're not stealing then you're not stealing...and I say you're not stealing. The Foot has spoken!

If you take it, and it isn't yours, you are stealing.  You know it belongs to someone else.

Allow me to clarify:

1. Completely hypothetical scenario. There is no purse or money involved.

2. Legal ramifications, or the threat of legal ramifications are not a factor. I don't want to know that you would give the money back because the cops might dust the purse for fingerprints and then come arrest you.

Law is designed to protect the innocent from the criminal. Law is not a factor (for most of us) here. At best, "law" is a codification of society's precepts of right and wrong.

I say you're not stealing, so you're not stealing.

Pretty convenient, isn't it? If we write our own moral code, life becomes far, far easier. If, however, we bind ourselves to a 'social contract' (of which law is the codification), then we are obligated to follow that contract.
A man's (or woman's) character is defined by the actions he or she will take when no one is watching. Those of us who are moral and believe in a God believe that He is watching. Those of use who don't believe in God still know that we ourselves are watching... and judging... ourselves.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Actually, technically you are stealing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's say you find a purse. It is sitting on a bench all by itself and no one is around. You open the purse and find a driver's license with the owner's address and you find $5,000 in cash. You can take the money and no one will ever know that it was you.

Let's just go ahead and say that it is dishonest to keep the money. But, there is no chance that you will ever get caught, you're technically not stealing and who couldn't use $5,000?

Actually, technically you are stealing it.

In common usage, theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.

Wiki link

Being able to ID the owner means that you know who it belongs to. This is true whether you find it or snatch it from her as she's sitting on the bench. The only difference is that in the 'snatching' scenario, you are using some degree of force (or threat of force) to steal it. In snatching the purse, you are also using the element of surprise. So I see little difference in 'surprising' her by snatching the purse, or taking it because she absent-mindedly left it behind.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Last week the wife and I were walking out of Walmart and I found $175 in cash laying in a puddle.  Took it in and turned it over to the head manager, and he was pretty sure he knew who dropped it.  I figured if it was mine I'd sure as hell miss it and I'd want somebody to do the same.  I'll admit I left my name and number in case it was meant to be mine and he couldn't track down the guy.

Got a phone call a couple hours later, the rightful owner really wanted to get my address and give me a reward for finding it.  I told him knowing it got back where it belonged was enough of a reward for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Return the money and other stuff but keep the purse.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I return it.  I know who's property the purse and its contents are.

Why?  Because I'm not a thief.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Would return it as I found it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd return it, because I didn't earn it.

And honestly, with the scenario set up in the OP, I'd assume it's some kind of ransom drop or something. I'd take the info from the driver's license while leaving the purse and it's contents where it was but within sight, just to be sure, while I attempt to contact the owner. Might sound far-fetched, but so does finding a purse with $5k sitting on a bench.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have that wrong.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:50:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Some other reason: It is not mine and I know whose it is.  Taking this would be theft.  I wouldn't return it because of karma, fear of retribution or strictly because that is the way I was raised.  I would return it simply because it is the proper course of action.  I could care less if the person was upset or indifferent because to them losing $5k is akin to me losing a nickel.  Their opinion on the subject does not affect my reaction given these circumstances.

If you are mature/intellectually with-it enough to be discussing the philosophical reasons behind morals then you are old enough to know that yours have been decided upon by that point.  If you don't know what yours encompass, it is by willful choice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Is this even a question?  You return the purse because to do otherwise make you a fucking shitstain thief, then you collect your reward of hot MILF ass!

MBR
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd return it...

ETA:  8.2% would keep it.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#12]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:11:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Purse and 5000, return it. Drug money like Llewellyn Moss found, ( No Country For Old Men) keep it and dont go back to the scene to give a hombre some agua.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:18:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw that movie.  There is a tracker in the purse.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would return it because it is the moral thing to do based simply on my personal opinion.
View Quote

+1

It's how I would want to be treated if someone found my wallet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Return it, it's the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:23:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Probably a police sting. I'd find another bench.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:11:30 AM EDT
[#18]
There's too many people here that are not getting it.   The OP put forth a hypothetical in which it is not stealing by his guidelines.  In other words, ignore the fact that it is stealing and think about why you would still return it.  Is it karma, religious beliefs, or something else?  I personally would return it because I can relate to the situation and would rather someone return it to me if it were mine.

The OP knows it is stealing in the real world...holy shit.  Humor him and answer the question he put forth or don't answer it at all.  It's not hard to understand.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When I was a kid, my parents used the phrase "put yourself in their shoes" all the time. I think of how I might feel if someone did whatever to me all the time when I make interpersonal decisions. To me it seems like the purest motivation, if I must say so.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I would return that $4000 back to its rightful owner.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:34:43 AM EDT
[#21]
You return the damn purse.  It just right right thing to do
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on the owner, I'd google their name first.  If a leftist I'd keep the money as part of "sharing the wealth" and leave a thank you note in the purse.  If I find a crack pipe or dope in the purse, I'd keep the money and turn the police in to the police along with the drug evidence.  If find an EBT card I'd destroy the card and save some of my tax money
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not sure how you are saying keeping the money isn't stealing. If you have a way of knowing who it belongs to it is stealing. If you find cash with no ID that is finders keepers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Return it. It's the right thing to do. Could be some old lady with her lifes savings.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I know I've been here a while, but let me see if I get this right.

If I hit the "ignore" button on some of the responders here, I'll never even see their EE ads.

Is that about right?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Before I became an RN I was the youngest Professional Land Surveyor ever in WV (they changed the requirement for licensing after I got mine).

While surveying along a 1 lane gravel road back in the 80's I found a wallet with $2600.

No ID just a wallet.

Drove along the road and knocked on door until I found the old guy who knew what the wallet was and how much was in it.

Right down to the number and type of bills.

When I handed him the wallet he got a tear in his eye and said "that is my entire life savings".

He gave me a big hug and all was well in the world.

Karma can be a bitch or your friend.

I try to keep HER happy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
never open the purse.
View Quote

+1

If I was sure it was lost/abandoned, I'd take it directly to the local police station and let them deal with it.

No sane man would ever open a woman's purse.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:30:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Wouldn't look twice at it.

(Though I must say, I do love the folks who think that keeping a lost item isn't stealing.)
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd let her have her money back, but the real question is "Is it a NICE handbag?"  

I have a handbag "thing".  You can never have too many.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I would return it simply because it is the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:36:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Return all of it. I have returned 2 over the years and a wallet . 1 purse owner accused me of stealing it . Wallet owner was a douche bag and an obama supporter , Second purse owner was nice and happy about it
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Depends on how much you are willing to sell your integrity for.

If it has a price tag of $5000, its your lucky day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd bring it to GD and start swinging it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:39:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd want the cash back if it was mine......so I'd give it back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to work at a dry cleaners. I have found and returned so much stuff.

The most awkward was the condoms when the wife picked up her husbands.

Most amount of cash was about 1500 dollars
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Return it. It isn't my property and the real owner is readily identifiable. If there were no way to ascertain ownership, then it could be considered "found goods" that I wouldn't hesitate to keep.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

OK, let me try...

I would return the money because I would empathize with the person who lost it. There are very, very few people in this world who wouldn't shit and freak out if they lost that much money. If I lost $5,000, just left it sitting on a bench, I would probably freak out 8 ways from Sunday. Might bust out crying like baby. Getting their money back to them would probably be pretty damn near miraculous for them. Doesn't matter who they are or what they need the money for, or how much money they have.

And to be honest, it really doesn't matter how much money is in the purse. Could be $5, could be no money at all. Maybe just getting the purse back would make them happy. Maybe getting their drivers license back would make them happy. I wouldn't do it because I would be afraid that Jesus is watching, or because I thought maybe by doing something nice then maybe someone would do something nice for me. I would do it because it might be a chance for me to help make someone's shitty day better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would return it because it is the moral thing to do based simply on my personal opinion.

OK, let me try...

I would return the money because I would empathize with the person who lost it. There are very, very few people in this world who wouldn't shit and freak out if they lost that much money. If I lost $5,000, just left it sitting on a bench, I would probably freak out 8 ways from Sunday. Might bust out crying like baby. Getting their money back to them would probably be pretty damn near miraculous for them. Doesn't matter who they are or what they need the money for, or how much money they have.

And to be honest, it really doesn't matter how much money is in the purse. Could be $5, could be no money at all. Maybe just getting the purse back would make them happy. Maybe getting their drivers license back would make them happy. I wouldn't do it because I would be afraid that Jesus is watching, or because I thought maybe by doing something nice then maybe someone would do something nice for me. I would do it because it might be a chance for me to help make someone's shitty day better.

Turns out that the purse owner is so rich, she could give a fuck less about the $5,000, and the mere fact that it's returned is of zero impact and did not make the owner happy at all. Now that you know that, and that it contradicts your original 'do it to feel good and because it would make someone happy' assumption... using your logic, it'd be okay to snatch the purse back and run off because it wouldn't fit your definition of 'stealing' or 'not stealing'.

What if you found some chips and cheese in the purse? What then? Guess what, it's nacho purse. I don't give a fuck how good returning someone else's stuff makes you feel or how you think it makes them feel... it's nacho stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I think...a lot are missing the point.

It's not about whether you steal the purse or not.  I'ts not about whether you turn the purse in or not, or try to find the owner, or just ignore it altogether.

OP wants to know why you do what you do--not what you do.

He's not making any judgement calls...he's researching what drives people to do what they do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd return it for multiple reasons:

1st I'd feel bad. That $5,000 is someone's hard earned money and secondly carrying that much cash I'd probably think it was for something very important to that person.

2nd it's just wrong to take what's not mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Does the purse match my shoes?

Seriously, I have found 1 purse in a parking lot.  I was just leaving my buddy's sub shop.
I went back in and asked to call the local police non emergency line and told them where it was. (In the office of shop, not outside in parking lot)

Walking my dog one afternoon, I found 2 credit cards from the same person on the side of a road.
Dropped them off at the P.D.   They took some info from me as to where and when I found them.

Leaving a Publix Supermarket I found 2 prescriptions in a shopping cart where you would place a child.
Walked them back into the store and gave them to manager at desk.

Why, because my parents raised me right.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think...a lot are missing the point.
It's not about whether you steal the purse or not.  I'ts not about whether you turn the purse in or not, or try to find the owner, or just ignore it altogether.
OP wants to know why you do what you do--not what you do.
He's not making any judgement calls...he's researching what drives people to do what they do.
View Quote
A lot of people here know that (I think), and are really put off by the OP's scenario. An Ethics class and that's the best scenario he can come up with? It is a really dumb scenario... 'here's a situation which is obviously stealing but just imagine it's not stealing'.

Can't say as I'm surprised by the 3 pages so far, but it is surprising that no one has really figured out the link between personal responsibility and the OP's heavily revised crappy scenario.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I was raised to do my best to be fair in all my interactions with others and it wouldn't be fair to enrich myself to another's detriment.  So, I would return the money, and that evening, as I was having beans and rice for dinner, I would say to myself: "Jane, you are such a dumbass!"  Then later, I would go to bed and sleep like a baby.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I returned the lady's wallet I found on the side of the road a few years ago. It only had little over $100 in it but also had drivers license and social security cards for her and her son. She was very grateful.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Is she hot? Return the purse and FHRITP
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I firmly believe in karma.

I doubt I would look in the purse to start....about the millionth of a second after I do, some batshit crazy lady would start screaming at me that I was trying to steal her stuff.

IF I did look in it and see a drivers license and cash, I would return it.  What goes around comes around - maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next month, but it will.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#47]
OP say that there is a SBR in the purse instead of money and then see how many people return it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

never open the purse.

View Quote

If you don't open the purse how do you get the contact info to return the purse?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But why does your dignity hinge on whether or not you give the money back? Why is it important to you in your own eyes to give it back?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found $80 in the floor of the DMV last week.  I was the only one there.
I picked it up, handed it to a lady at the counter, and told her someone might come back looking for this.

$5,000 isn't enough to buy my dignity.

$500,000 might be.

But why does your dignity hinge on whether or not you give the money back? Why is it important to you in your own eyes to give it back?

Because I am not a thief and prefer to not think of myself as one.  Therefore, I do not act like a thief.  IOW my perception of who I am is more important to me than your perception of who I am.  As Liam Neeson put it in Rob Roy, "Honor is the gift a man gives to himself."

And contrary to your original assertion if you take something that does not belong to you it IS stealing.

The above is ethics 101, why do we have to explain it to you?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:46:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People will lie in this thread. People are generally fuckfaces
View Quote

Yup , I agree . But there is still a right and a wrong here.

I could really use the money but I am pretty sure I know what is right .
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top