Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2014 8:06:26 PM EDT
I was watching a lumberjack show at an outdoor expo on Sunday.  The show was almost over and the main lumberjack was finishing up his carving of a "bunny" which is really a stool.  As he finished the last cut the stool started to slide and fall.  He reached up with his hand to catch it but caught his fingers in the still running chainsaw blade.  He put the saw down, handed the stool off, grabbed his fingers with his other hand, turned white, had a blank stare, and then wandered off into the expo building.  We left the show and went back into the building the same way he did.  You could follow the guy's blood trail all the way onto the main expo floor.  The show was poorly staffed, no safety personnel or even staff with a radio watching the show.  The poor guy wandered all over the place trying to find someone to help him.

Last night that imagery kept looping through my head as I was trying to sleep.  It's been stuck in my head all day today as well.  I grew up on a farm and injuries happen, so it isn't that I'm squeamish about that type of thing.  I think the fact that no one was there to help the poor guy and he just wandered around alone, bleeding, and in a state of shock is what bothers me.

I checked out the lumberjack shows Facebook page hoping for an update yesterday but there wasn't one.  Then tonight they posted that they were looking for 1 highly skilled lumberjack to start October 1st.   Sounds like the guy not only got hurt but he also lost his job.  I posted well wishes for him.  Someone responded back saying he had a surgery consultation today and will probably need a joint replacement on his ring finger.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Saws are not a thing to get complacent with
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, no one saw that coming eh?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
chainsaws don't have blades...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah my grandpa was missing a couple fingers and I believe a toe or two because of chainsaws.  I didn't see that happen.  My dad had one kick back and nick his shine hitting bone.  

The equipment the lumberjacks were using were having all sorts of problems.  One saw wouldn't start and looked like it had a loose chain.  The saw he was using to carve the stool was taking forever, a minute to a minute and a half to make a 4" deep cut into a 10" diameter piece of dry pine.  The sawdust coming off of it was a very fine powder which isn't right.  I think he started rushing because the cuts were taking too long and that is when he slipped up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
bladesaws!!!! ;)

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry, chainsaw chain and teeth.  A blade is a generic term for a cutting device, which is what a chainsaw chain does.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn.

I don't mean to sound offensive, but why didn't you help him?  Is the reason that you didn't, the cause of the images haunting you?

Just trying to help you make sense of it.  Like I said, I don't mean to criticize or be offensive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to violent imagery. The mind is a hell of a recording device.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely.

It'll be 12 years this Halloween since I seen my first fresh dead body, and I remember ever minor detail of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just look around the net for the video of the cartel chainsaw beheading and I guarantee you'll forget all about Lefty The Lumberjack
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I know it's easier said than done, but there's times we need to step up and help.  

Remember this next time you see someone wandering around aimlessly with a serious problem.  It might put your mind at ease a little bit after the fact, and will definitely help the other fellow out.

Kids or no kids with you, grab him and offer to take him to the hospital.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  I have mad respect for EMTs, firemen, cops, etc when it comes to gore and their ability to remain professional.

I've dealt with real horror movie shit twice,  once a rollover on I-80, the second a botched helicopter landing on a trailer.  Adrenaline or something kicked in at the time and I did what I could, but I was a bit fucked up for awhile afterwards.  

ETA:  can still see both, frame by frame, in my head.  And every time I smell burning rubber or 100ll avgas.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damn.

I don't mean to sound offensive, but why didn't you help him?  Is the reason that you didn't, the cause of the images haunting you?

Just trying to help you make sense of it.  Like I said, I don't mean to criticize or be offensive.
View Quote

Maybe that is part of it, I wish I could have done something for him but it was really out of my hands.  The show was so disorganized the only staff that I knew of were at the front welcome table, up a level and 400 yards away.  The other 2 lumberjacks continued on with the show like nothing had happened, so I figured they had someone standing by in case something happened.  The blood trail showed that wasn't the case.  Had I known he was going to be wandering around looking for help I would have gotten up and assisted him.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Ouch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
That's terribly unfortunate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
You're probably going to remember that mental image for decades to come.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know it's easier said than done, but there's times we need to step up and help.  

Remember this next time you see someone wandering around aimlessly with a serious problem.  It might put your mind at ease a little bit after the fact, and will definitely help the other fellow out.

View Quote

When you got him to the car you could have used the pressure dressing that every ARFCOMMER carries to help him control the bleeding while you drove him to the hospital, or wherever the closest bambulance could meet you.

ETA: Seriously, no one doubts that CCW is a good idea.  If you ever get into a situation where you have to use it, chances are one is going to be firing back at you.  Keep a trauma kit in the car, no good reason not to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Saws are sharp, and spinning extremely fast. Don't forget it.

I'm glad my old boss was such a stickler about steel toed boots, chaps and eye pro.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is a picture of a bunny stool, not from the show I saw.  They carve it upside down, pretending the legs of the stool are the bunny ears.  Then a lumberjack will make fun of the carver for making the ears too short.  The final cuts are made and the stool is produced.  Usually a young child from the audience is brought on stage to try the stool which the lumberjacks then give him to keep.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Used to work in a saw shop. Hollywood slows down the chainsaw effect, because they will cut you so fast you don't feel it. This according to some guys at work that scared the shit out of me enough so that I never got chopped.
The worst was a guy that had his saw kick back, and it chopped him right above the collar bone. His head fell over, because all the muscles that held it up were cut. He lived I guess but it took a lot of surgery's to patch him up.
OP, welcome to PTSD. A blown off leg or arm can be patched and it can be semi fixed. If the injury is in the head, as in mental, and keeps coming back time and again, it makes for a fucked couple of weeks or longer. I hear tell some of the vets can't shake
it at all. That would be horrible.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm convinced, no one under 50 yoa should be allowed to play with anything sharper than a banana.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When you got him to the car you could have used the pressure dressing that every ARFCOMMER carries to help him control the bleeding while you drove him to the hospital, or wherever the closest bambulance could meet you.

ETA: Seriously, no one doubts that CCW is a good idea.  If you ever get into a situation where you have to use it, chances are one is going to be firing back at you.  Keep a trauma kit in the car, no good reason not to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Started carrying that stuff religiously after coming across a somewhat bloody accident a couple of years ago, and not having it on me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Mom almost cut her wrist wide open brushing snow from a tree.

She looked at it and walk over to dad and waited till he was done sharping his saw.

Did not bother her till the doc told her she was very very lucky to have not cut the tendons or the vein in the wrist.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I can't quite put my finger on what he did wrong.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In well under five minutes of seeing your post, I opened my trunk and spread this shit around for a picture...and posted it here.  Ample time and equipment to make a difference in real life.

ETA:  Weather-stable kit, enough to get by.
*  Kerlix rolls x3
*  Bandage tape
*  Israeli bandages x2
*  ACE wrap
*  HALO seals x2
*  CAT tourniquet w/Sharpie
*  Celox Quick Seal (Quick Clot sponges in the other car, along with OLAES)
*  Nitrile gloves x2 pair along with shears and assorted surgical utensils for dummies (tweeze, pen light, picks, knife, etc.)
*  Head lamp
*  Cyaume sticks, bottled water, cold pack, etc.

The kit isn't extensive, but it's enough to get you by.  You're not a doctor or EMT, so unless you have a kit that you can hand off to the experienced at a scene, it's enough to get you to a hospital or EMT's.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an entire Nanuk 925 case full of trauma gear I take into the wilds with me. My wife was the combat medic.  If she gets hurt, I'm fucked.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah my grandpa was missing a couple fingers and I believe a toe or two because of chainsaws.  I didn't see that happen.  My dad had one kick back and nick his shine hitting bone.  

The equipment the lumberjacks were using were having all sorts of problems.  One saw wouldn't start and looked like it had a loose chain.  The saw he was using to carve the stool was taking forever, a minute to a minute and a half to make a 4" deep cut into a 10" diameter piece of dry pine.  The sawdust coming off of it was a very fine powder which isn't right.  I think he started rushing because the cuts were taking too long and that is when he slipped up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He had a dull chain, a sharp chain will produce the small square chips associated with being called sawdust. A dull chain produces the powdery wood chips
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

What you did... I'm the only one who saw.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Its going to take some time for the imagery to fade. It will just randomly flash in your head without any rhyme or reason. It sucks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#31]
From left to right:

Two rolls duct tape, whistle, two compressed gauze, 1 OLAES bandage, 1 SOFTTW tourniquet, 2 control wraps, shears, gloves, flashlight, 2 NPAs and 2 HYFIN chest seals.  .

This type of stuff is not expensive, got mine from Austere Provisions, you can also buy premade kits if you have more money than time.

This one is my walking around IFAK out in the woods, and is attached to a small pack with leather gloves, a poncho, and wipes in it.  Stays in the vehicle when not in use.  Also have a similar kit just for the vehicle, with a simpler TQ and an additional pair of OLAES bandages.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
From left to right:

Two rolls duct tape, whistle, two compressed gauze, 1 OLAES bandage, 1 SOFTTW tourniquet, 2 control wraps, shears, gloves, flashlight, 2 NPAs and 2 HYFIN chest seals.  .

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/verticalgain/Modular%20Pack%20System/20140805_011630_zpslqre6cye.jpg

This type of stuff is not expensive, got mine from Austere Provisions, you can also buy premade kits if you have more money than time.

This one is my walking around IFAK out in the woods, and is attached to a small pack with leather gloves, a poncho, and wipes in it.  Stays in the vehicle when not in use.  Also have a similar kit just for the vehicle, with a simpler TQ and an additional pair of OLAES bandages.
View Quote

See this guy's setup, too.  Verticalgain has the essentials...enough to get by in the interim.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#33]
You don't forget. If you are lucky your brain won't play fucked up picture shows when you don't want it to.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#34]
blah
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I have to run a chainsaw at work from time to time and I never trust the thing. I believe in maintaining a healthy respect/fear for the damage such tools can do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#36]
horrific accidents are far less traumatizing to the witness when filmed in portrait mode while screaming WORLDSTAR
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Meh if it was a clean cut chances are good if he hit a level 2 within the hour they could reattach the fingers.

I've seen worse where someone ended up with a functioning hand. Pretty amazing what surgeons can do nowadays.

It's kinda funny reading stories like OP's anymore. I see this shit so much I don't even bat an eye at it anymore. Just assume everyone else is just like me, kinda funny when I'm reminded they aren't.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Shit happens, you can't let every terrible thing you witness control you, accept the reality as part of living in a world full with the potential for like events and move on, take a lesson with you but leave the drama of the event behind.

Others do and I believe those who don't lack the reasoning to understand what is necessary to do it and nothing more.

I have forgotten worse shit than that many times over, I know it's possible for you to put it in the proper context and move on.

Acceptance is a powerful weapon.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#39]
It sucks but I'm sure he was fine. People get fingers cut off all of the time and have them reattached or live fine with the nubs. You worrying about it to the point of it bothering you this much sure won't accomplish anything. Let it go.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#41]
When I bought the place I lived in now, which is on 5 acres, half of it wooded..one of the first things I did was to buy a chainsaw so I could deal with the many fallen trees and branches that littered the property.

I have more respect/fear for that piece of equipment than any other tool i own or use, and these days seldom use it unless its an emergency since I live alone and there really are no neighbors to speak of.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:15:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When I bought the place I lived in now, which is on 5 acres, half of it wooded..one of the first things I did was to buy a chainsaw so I could deal with the many fallen trees and branches that littered the property.

I have more respect/fear for that piece of equipment than any other tool i own or use, and these days seldom use it unless its an emergency since I live alone and there really are no neighbors to speak of.

View Quote

A metalworking lathe makes a chainsaw look like a toy. It will turn a person into a tortilla wrap in a second.

But yeah, chainsaws are scary.

OP:

In the absence of someone else taking charge, you should have attempted to help him. Given him a ride to the hospital or called 911.

You didn't. You failed to act.

Failures to act happen. Our brains don't always work right when bad shit happens. It has happened to me. It is nothing to feel too bad about this time. No one died.

Learn from it. Rehearse in your mind that next time you will act. Figure out what you should have done. Learn some medical skills too. And drill it into your mind to Do Something next time.

And there will be a next time. Bad things happen in life.

As for getting it out of your head... Different people have different coping mechanisms. I'll leave that to those who have seen more fucked up things than I have. I figure they have a better handle on it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:46:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What has been seen cannot be unsawn.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#45]
TL;DR
Think of big ol titties OP
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I'm convinced, no one under 50 yoa should be allowed to play with anything sharper than a banana.
View Quote

Why am I laughing at that?  I don't know.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:26:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You're probably going to remember that mental image for decades to come.

View Quote

Yeah a guy getting cut bad and bleeding

This nations people are loosing its back bone  , bad

Maybe a case of PTSD will occur
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been a fireman for 10 or so years now.  You always remember your first dead guy.

It's always the first thing you see when you lay down to go to sleep
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Whatever happened
To the chainsaw juggler?
He was a good friend of mine.
I heard he died
But nobody cried,
Instead they all chopped off their arms.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#50]
stop thinking about it.  That's all I have.  I've seen a few things I wish I could un-remember.  The only thing I've found that works is to put it out of your mind the best you can and not obsess about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top